• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do you feel about Sony's comments regarding Xbox's acquisition of Activision?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
There's been some recent articles and youtube videos regarding comments Sony has made regarding Xbox's Activision deal. I personally don't care because I'll be playing the new MWII and likely it's subsequent iterations on PC. Xbox has been known to say COD will remain multiplatform. However, Sony seems to be worried about what this means for them should the deal go through.

I think about what Sony has in it's repertoire of games. God of War, Horizon, Spiderman, FInal Fantasy XIV and more recently Destiny and I can't help but feel like these comments are somewhat disingenuous. Here are a couple of the recent articles as well as quotes from Sony.

“Call of Duty is so popular that it influences users’ choice of console, and its community of loyal users is entrenched enough that even if a competitor had the budget to develop a similar product, it would not be able to rival it.”

“No other developer can devote the same level of resources and expertise in game development. Even if they could do that, Call of Duty is overly entrenched, so that no rival – no matter how relevant they are – can catch up.”

The way I'm reading this, it's like Sony feels Xbox owning COD means they lose revenue. I don't see how this is possible if the game is multiplat. People aren't going to switch to Xbox just because they own COD. That would only happen if the game goes exclusive. One thing I can say is that, COD's campaign and Multiplayer being on Gamepass would be a problem for Sony's new subscription service Playstation Premium should they not have some similar offer on hand. However, I think in the end if Sony feels they will lose ground in console sales, what does this say about their confidence in their other offerings. It doesn't make sense to me. Sony has been touted as having the best exclusives for each generation. Why does it seem like they are clutching their pearls now over this deal?

Here's some takes I found on youtube from Dreamcast Guy Destin and Spawn Wave. Me referencing them does not mean I agree with their stance necessarily, but I'd like to know what you guys think.

Last edited:

Leyasu

Banned
lol this thread is going to be something to behold..

Captain America Avengers GIF by Marvel Studios

phil_t98

#SonyToo
their comments are a bit strange now they have bungie in their locker. after all they started the halo franchise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom