• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do you feel about the Disneyfication of video games?

With gaming as an industry continuing to grow Disney has dived into the industry full force with their IP. We've always had disney related ip in the industry from Spiderman 2, Kotar and kingdom hearts, but lately they've jumped full force into the industry. The games they have in devlopment plus more:

• Star Wars Jedi: Survivor
• Star Wars Respawn FPS
• Star Wars Eclipse •
• Spider-Man 2
• Wolverine •
Marvel Midnight Suns •
Skydance Marvel
• Black Panther (rumor)
• Indiana Jones

I'm personally a bit disappointed that talented Studios are tied down with IP from a different medium as opposed to creating New IP which is always most excited for me. one of my problems with Disney content is they feel board room made and less artist lead. They rarely take risk and thats one of my biggest fears when it comes to seeing exciting studios like Machine games, Insomniac, Skydance etc all working on disney IP and probably dont have new games of their own IP coming for at least a 5 years or more.

nkarafo

bad movies endless trash GIF

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
This is the first time Disney are making an appearance in gaming for a long while. I don't think it's anywhere near an egregious state right now.

Remember the one time they canceled a lot of games, including the very promising looking Pirates of the Carribean RPG ?

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
I'm personally a bit disappointed that talented Studios are tied down with IP from a different medium as opposed to creating New IP which is always most excited for me. one of my problems with Disney content is they feel board room made and less artist lead.
Customers demand bigger, better, larger. Only a huge corporation can deliver this via investment. As a result said corporation needs to mitigate the risks by going the path of least resistance.

People do not understand behind every decision there are real people. You want your artsy shit being made and lose millions? Good for you, because the PM on that project will be fired if it underperforms.

Hollowpoint5557

A Fucking Idiot
Between the Disney, woke, remake, and cross gen stuff I pulled the plug on current gen and sold my PS5 and Series X months ago and went back to playing my old collection. I'm skipping this gen now and if it gets worse I don't ever see myself coming back.

Gaming was never mainstream but now as they try more and more to do so the casualization has ruined the hobby for me.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
I am a bit worried when I see Insomniac, I feel they are almost forced to make Marvel games now, and I wonder if it will affect their other games.

It comes down to if they can still design creative games and not just generic fodder just to release something with a Marvel license.

Like Gothman Knights, that feels like something that's made just to cash in on the license.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I'm seeing more and more adults obsessed with Disney culture.

We need to carpet bomb Disneyworld with our airforce, shell it from the sea with our Navy, and send the army in after to clean up everything that's left. No casualties obviously. We'll get everyone out first.

We should attack Disneyland too. A war on two fronts.

It'll be a just war.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
Considering that Wolverine is one of my most antecipated games in the future, im pretty fine with that.
I think this is the exception from the rule, because everything about Wolverine, his brutality and fighting style, fits video games really well. It's hard not to get excited about how this is gonna play.

But when I look at other games I feel like I can hone in on how Spider-Man 2 and whatever Batman game is gonna play. It's just been done so many times at this point and I don't think the studios will dare to innovate too much for fear of losing what already works.

Barakov

Gold Member
With gaming as an industry continuing to grow Disney has dived into the industry full force with their IP. We've always had disney related ip in the industry from Spiderman 2, Kotar and kingdom hearts, but lately they've jumped full force into the industry. The games they have in devlopment plus more:

• Star Wars Jedi: Survivor
• Star Wars Respawn FPS
• Star Wars Eclipse •
• Spider-Man 2
• Wolverine •
Marvel Midnight Suns •
Skydance Marvel
• Black Panther (rumor)
• Indiana Jones

I'm personally a bit disappointed that talented Studios are tied down with IP from a different medium as opposed to creating New IP which is always most excited for me. one of my problems with Disney content is they feel board room made and less artist lead. They rarely take risk and thats one of my biggest fears when it comes to seeing exciting studios like Machine games, Insomniac, Skydance etc all working on disney IP and probably dont have new games of their own IP coming for at least a 5 years or more.
Shit sucks

Ladioss

The titles listed by OP are not "games", they are IP/brand vehicles. They exist to accompany the consoomer in his marketing cage and keep him loyal to the conglomerates, but they are not interesting to play.

Mr Hyde

Spiderman 2 and Wolverine looks promising. Insomniac usually delivers. Avatar game might be cool too as Jedi Fallen Order 2. There are some nuggets in there but I mainly care very little for Marvel/Star Wars. I would rather Disney go back and make their 16-bit platformers instead.

video games 90s GIF

arcade mickey GIF by NakNick Game Studio

tmlDan

as long as they're good idc, but i still miss the rush of new ambitious IP.

The reason i am not upset by it is because Disney games in general are pretty shit, putting Spiderman and Wolverine in Insomniacs hands gets me excited. Not sure about Avatar, but getting triple A games from these IP is still exciting because Disney games have not been saturated in gaming like Movies and Shows have.

Last edited:

kyussman

There is at least some hope for Star Wars and Marvel in video game form......we may get some good games,we may not......unlike their movie/tv output which is uniformly low effort garbage.

Fbh

If they are good I don't mind.

Just played through Guardians of the galaxy these past few weeks and I honestly thought it was better than most MCU movies. The game format allowed them to tell a better story with more developed characters than they could in a movie, but with the visual consistency of a AAA game instead of ugly TV CGI. (On top it being an interactive experience which makes it more engaging).

I'd rather get a bunch of games in that style from various different Marvel characters than sitting through increasingly terrible MCU movies.

Then again that game bombed so who knows if any of these projects will take inspiration form it

Amiga

I'm looking very much to 5 games so that pretty good IMOO( Star Wars Jedi: Survivor, Star Wars Respawn FPS, Star Wars Eclipse, Spider-Man 2 & Wolverine)
The IPs they have have been constantly been turned into games but ignored by gamers. Spider-Man, GotG and Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order just raised our expectations that we can expect more than shovelware.

If they're good I'm fine with it, and there are exciting properties there, but in general I'd rather have games without the limitations of working with another medium's IP. But there are certainly exceptions like I'm amped for Hogwarts Legacy, and I know I'll love Jedi: Survivor

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
If only we didn’t have to buy bad games, like there was a way to watch a trusted someone’s view on the game…

there were a million disney games when i was growing up. and most of them were good. Im sick of ppl complaining about getting IP related games. U know why ppl don't make new IP, because most of them aren't good. And most of ur beloved new IP, the good ones, are just a rip-off of something else.

there were a million disney games when i was growing up. and most of them were good. Im sick of ppl complaining about getting IP related games. U know why ppl don't make new IP, because most of them aren't good. And most of ur beloved new IP, the good ones, are just a rip-off of something else.

Even when they are good, people don’t buy them. The exception being when they are from a really big name studio

Last edited:
Top Bottom