• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do you feel about the Disneyfication of video games?

small_law

You know the funny thing is these licensed games have been around forever. They're going to be around forever. I'm not necessarily worried about it.

If anything, we're fortunate that licensed games are way, way better than they were during the Xbox 360 area and going back in time. I mean I had the Back to the Future game for NES. It was the first time I ever asked myself how something with so much potential could be such shit.

Lasha

Zero interest from me. I shy away from the most children's IP because I know the writing is going to be formulaic and the game play safe. I lack nostalgia for stuff like Star Wars and Marvel because I long outgrew the franchises.

Between the Disney, woke, remake, and cross gen stuff I pulled the plug on current gen and sold my PS5 and Series X months ago and went back to playing my old collection. I'm skipping this gen now and if it gets worse I don't ever see myself coming back.

Gaming was never mainstream but now as they try more and more to do so the casualization has ruined the hobby for me.
This is where, pc, steam deck and switch come in. My ps5 is barely used from r ps5 games as is and is my replacement ps4 (until. Better games come).

Pc has indies and AA, as well as tons of strategy, 4x turn based, grand strategy, rts, indie rpg, roguelike, survival games, etc, that come out all the time. That's where I focus on anymore, for the same reasons you mention. That and old games. Games like thief and neverwinter nights 1 & 2 have 1000s of fan made missions and games.

Also indies like vampire survivors, Boneraiser minions, urbeck, 20 minutes to dawn, slay the spire, dead cells, rim world, etc... It's great, and helps the wait for any good AAA games, last being elden ring.

teezzy

Banned
Donald Trump Whatever GIF by Mashable

radewagon

I'm not one of those people that craves new IPs. I just crave good games. If such good games are wholly original titles like Demon's Souls, sweet. If they're a highly derivative original title like Uncharted, sweet. If they're a straight up sequel like Devil May Cry 5, sweet. If they're based on an existing IP like Spiderman, sweet. If they're a reboot of a well beloved classic like Resident Evil REmake, sweet. If they're an unholy synergistic mishmash of licenses like Lego Star Wars, sweet.

Honestly, I don't want a world where popular pre-existing licenses aren't being consistently turned into video games. I happen to like pop-culture. I'm not ashamed to admit that I want a near endless stream of quality titles where I'm allowed to run around with a lightsaber and force push storm troopers into oblivion.

bender

What time is it?
I'm interested in three of those titles to varying degrees. Most excited for Wolverine and am curious about Indiana Jones. I'm a little burnt out on Isomniac's Spider Man formula so I'm curious to see what's new and if there is a new location.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
im excited with spiderman 2 and wolverine, so....i have no issue.

Wanting to explore new worlds instead of established ones thats been around almost a century. Less coperate overreach when another major conglomerate is involved, so more risk averse.
What are you talking about? You can do that now and guess what? Corporate overreach will be involved and that brave new world was given to you because the risk was thought to be worth it.

All those properties had a presence in gaming before Disney bought them, so that’s not a new thing there.
yeah, i'd say it's more about the disneyfication of every child, teen, &/or young adult oriented property in existence...

Last edited:
  • Empathy
Reactions: Fuz

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I'll give them a chance. We need something right now. If the quality is good a game can be set anywhere and any franchise.

lachesis

Out of all of that - I am mildly excited about Indiana Jones.
I just hope it's similar to old Lucas Arts graphic arts games... but I have a feeling they'd be modeling this similar to Tomb Raider Reboot & Uncharted series.
Not that I don't mind - but I wish for some good mystery solving in any cases.

Bartski

Gold Member
Couldn't care less about Marvel, dudes with superpowers wearing spandex kinda lost their appeal when I started growing pubic hair.

But I really liked Spider-man for the gameplay and definitely looking forward to Wolverine hoping it's not a PEGI12 crossover.

I'd be more than happy to see current gen Punisher.

anthraticus

Banned
Even as a little kid I didn't like all the wimpy Disney stuff so I avoid all that shit like the plauge.

Last edited:

KungFucius

King Snowflake
The only game i may get day one is Wolverine. Spiderman 2 likely when it will get big price cut. Everything else goes to the trashcan.
When will Spiderman 2 get an official price cut? Sony seems to be limiting the supply of PS5 physical copies and maintaining the digital price at launch level. The best you can do on price is buying the disk used or hope you get luck when a store is dumping excess inventory and you are paying attention. Horizon FW is still 70 bucks on Amazon today. That is 7 months after release and that title was cross gen with a free upgrade. Amazon's listing for Ghosts of Tsushima is 70 bucks. That is an upgrade of a PS4 game. There is one listing at 63 bucks. Sony looks to be pulling a Nintendo on game prices which basically means day 1 is the same as day 200 unless you put in some effort to find a deal when/if it happens or buy used.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
Couldn't care less about Marvel, dudes with superpowers wearing spandex kinda lost their appeal when I started growing pubic hair.

But I really liked Spider-man for the gameplay and definitely looking forward to Wolverine hoping it's not a PEGI12 crossover.

I'd be more than happy to see current gen Punisher.

I feel like this thought process is how we got Shadow the Hedgehog

Thaedolus

There’s so much content out there these days I find it hard to get upset by something I don’t like. I don’t get upset when I see a Taco Bell, I just keep driving.

I honestly never particularly cared for licensed video game IP’s and alot of popular material because imo it’s usually a blatant cash grab and not of the best quality. I’ll play a few Marvel/DC games and maybe even Star Wars once in awhile, but I’m truly getting weary of comic book or superhero games. I don’t mind a few every now and then, but I have a feeling that gaming could catch up with Hollywood who literally produces superhero movies on a weekly basis now.

If the games are good, then whats the problem?

Spiderman and Wolverine should be good
The games should be good, but like myself I’m sure some people want to see new stuff more often especially from talented developers who might have some new original ideas up their sleeves.

jigglet

Banned
Funny how things can be interpreted. OP I read that as “how do you feel about censoring content for China?”

• Empathy
Reactions: Fuz

yurinka

I loved the Marvel vs Capcom (not the last one) games and the Insomniac Spider-Man games. I liked Guardians of the Galaxy. I'm super confident about Insomniac's Wolverine game. I didn't play Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order but people likes it.

There are many cases more of great or very good and super successful games. There's a lot of potential there, I'm pretty sure Ubisoft and Quantic Dream will do a great job with their Ubisoft too.

Funny how things can be interpreted. OP I read that as “how do you feel about censoring content for China?”
Fun fact: most self censored console games historically have been due to USA, Japan and Germany age regulators (who forbid to include something or because the main retailers don't accept stuff of certain age ratings), not to China (because they weren't released there).

Regarding nudity, because of USA being scared of seeing boobs even if don't care about having super violent gore and massive killings on their games.

Last edited:
Honestly it’s one of the reasons I’ve gotten less interested in games lately. All these talented studios/teams being funneled into making mass produced marvel junk when they could be making something more interesting. Leave the oversaturated Marvel/Star Wars stuff on Disney plus I say. I wanna play actual video game series and new IP. A licensed game here or there is fine, but I don’t wanna see COD levels of tying up developers to be stuck making almost the same think every 1-2 years.

Griffon

Once in a while there's a good Star Wars game among meh ones. That's pretty much all star wars is good for now (new movies and series are shit).

I don't care about the rest of Disney's offer.

Last edited:
I’m very upset about it. I was almost fired for it the other day because I got so angry that I started screaming.

Once I explained to my manager that I was screaming because of the disneyfication of games they gave me a large raise and named me employee of the year.

Good games are good games.

Doesn't matter if they are borrowed IP or not. I think it's cool that we can get GREAT Spider-Man and Wolverine games. Very strong IP I loved as a kid.

"A shitty game with a good IP is forever shit. A good game with a bad IP is forever good" - Hideo Miyakazi

Bluecondor

I have been playing Disney Dreamlight Valley on Switch for just over a week. It has been a pleasant surprise for me, as I thought it would be loaded with microtransactions for energy boosts, etc. Instead, it is a pretty solid Disney version of Animal Crossing with a great deal of customization and lot of story/mission content. Instead of microtransactions, the developers are pushing their version of a Fortnite season pass if you want all the Disney clothing and furniture items (which is meaningless to me, as I am not a big Disney fan).

KiteGr

Between the Disney, woke, remake, and cross gen stuff I pulled the plug on current gen and sold my PS5 and Series X months ago and went back to playing my old collection. I'm skipping this gen now and if it gets worse I don't ever see myself coming back.

Gaming was never mainstream but now as they try more and more to do so the casualization has ruined the hobby for me.
My thoughts exactly...
Thankfully there is some light at the end of the tunnel.

• The triple A are falling back, but the indies are thriving. Try some goodness like Hollow Knight, Subnautica, Iconoclast or Blasphemous to find your old love for gamimg back.
  • I'm not against remakes unless they are needed (not TLoU p1) and don't insert modern politics and censor stuff. We are playing those old games to get away of that crap.
  • There is still retro. I've got my Steam Deck and installed emudeck, so I've got the wolrds library to play. Also some companies like Squenix are making excellent remasters of old retro games like the saga series. (missfires like Chrono Cross aside).
  • Finally, the cringe and woke have received massive hits lately. After brutalizing the biggest IPs and getting horrible reception, many companies began to realize naturally that they are going broke and began purging the woke and feminist activists from their ranks. Warner Bross already cancelled a fully completed woke garbage movie, Squenix got the hint after exposing us to the cringiness of Forspocken, the rest of Japan is already saying no to this trash, Amazon is taking a beating over their 2b$ fanfiction woke dumpster fire, and I believe even Netflix (the laughing stock of black paint and sex changing) have took the hint after their subscribers flew away.
I'm not ready to give up yet, but what I'll most likely end up doing is migrate to PC.
I stayed on consoles because I value physical copies of the games, but since they discourage them more and more, if I am to go Digital, I might as well do it somewhere where my library maters and it's cheaper.

BlackTron

Disney always had a huge place in gaming for me. Since I was a kid, I would usually have the big first party games along with a few third party licensed games starring my favorite Disney characters. I cut my teeth playing DuckTales and Chip N' Dale on NES. On both Genesis and Game Gear, the only non-Sonic games I had at all were Castle/Land/World of Illusion, Aladdin, Quackshot, all that kind of stuff.

So really, I have no problem with Disney putting out a shit ton of video games. In fact, back when they were doing it, I think it was great. The problem is back then you had Capcom pumping out legit games with good IP and now you have Kingdom Fucking Hearts. If THAT'S what you mean by "disneyfication" then OK I'm not happy about the direction.

Give me more Star Wars games too, just make them less lame. Do something to make me feel remotely better about how we and Factor 5 all got shafted out of releasing the HD version of Rogue Squadron. Because EA obviously failed in all the time they had it.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I'm happy about getting new Star Wars stuff. It's the Marvel stuff what puts me to sleep.

Top Bottom