• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Does Monitor Refresh Rate Affect Aiming Performance?

twilo99

I just came across this article witch seems to have some interesting data on the subject.

I've known this for decades, ever since I experienced Quake 2 on a 120hz CRT monitor in like 1998 or whatever, but I think its educational for younger generation players who enjoy competitive FPS games.

I wish I can find something like this for mouse and keyboard vs. controller as well, but that debate is pointless really since the only way to make controllers viable in FPS games is with "aim assist".

Point is, in my opinion, if you want maximum satisfaction from a competitive shooter, and if you can afford it, get yourself a PC/Monitor that can run the game at high frames that match your monitor and play on mouse and key. I guess the other option is to hook up a series x to a high refresh rate monitor with mouse and keyboard and run the game in "performance" mode which would hopefully give you ~120fps.

gg

Uiki

The minimum is 144hz for a competitive shooter with m+k. It has been like that since.. 10 years? Hooking m+k on a console isn't really a choice since the input is still delayed by whatever drivers they are using (and usually vsync) and you rarely have proper controls on your sensitivity. But....... you don't really find competitive shooters on console requiring proper m+k aiming.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I just came across this article witch seems to have some interesting data on the subject.

I've known this for decades, ever since I experienced Quake 2 on a 120hz CRT monitor in like 1998 or whatever, but I think its educational for younger generation players who enjoy competitive FPS games.

I wish I can find something like this for mouse and keyboard vs. controller as well, but that debate is pointless really since the only way to make controllers viable in FPS games is with "aim assist".

Point is, in my opinion, if you want maximum satisfaction from a competitive shooter, and if you can afford it, get yourself a PC/Monitor that can run the game at high frames that match your monitor and play on mouse and key. I guess the other option is to hook up a series x to a high refresh rate monitor with mouse and keyboard and run the game in "performance" mode which would hopefully give you ~120fps.

gg
I even brought home a 244hz monitor to try for a few weeks and honestly going from 160 to 244 didn't feel like anything had changed

But when I dropped back down to 160 I could tell it was a little slower feeling but soon got used to it again

Frames are king in shooters

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I even brought home a 244hz monitor to try for a few weeks and honestly going from 160 to 244 didn't feel like anything had changed

But when I dropped back down to 160 I could tell it was a little slower feeling but soon got used to it again

I am playing Doom Eternal on my PS5 in 120 fps mode and I turned it down to 60 and its was weird how slow and laggy it made 60 fps feel. Like you said, you get used to it and overal 60 fps is still fine, but I will now seek out a 120 fps option.

30 fps however, can fuck off for good. I will hold the line and not purchase a game that is limited to 30 fps on consoles. Nope. I am done. No way.

winjer

Gold Member
Back in the days of BF3, I switched from a 60Hz monitor, to a 144Hz monitor. I did notice that my overall K/D increased a few points.
And I found myself more frequently in the top, or near the top of the scoreboards.
Now mind you this is not a huge difference, not enough to make me a pro player, or anything like that, But it was an improvement.
I neve went back to 60Hz monitors ever since.

Last edited:

twilo99

The minimum is 144hz for a competitive shooter with m+k. It has been like that since.. 10 years? Hooking m+k on a console isn't really a choice since the input is still delayed by whatever drivers they are using (and usually vsync) and you rarely have proper controls on your sensitivity. But....... you don't really find competitive shooters on console requiring proper m+k aiming.

So there is some weird input lag on console? That sucks.. they should sort out the drivers and maybe have a list of "approved" mice and keyboards that are supported...

But yes, 144hz has been the norm for a while now.

Uiki

So there is some weird input lag on console? That sucks.. they should sort out the drivers and maybe have a list of "approved" mice and keyboards that are supported...

But yes, 144hz has been the norm for a while now.
Well.. it really depends on the game.. and on you. I can't tolerate even the small input lag with m+k.
The real problem is that 99% of the shooters you can play on a console are working better with a controller (due to aim assist). There's no point in using m+k... most of the times you are at a disadvantage (see: apex, warzone, halo).

Last edited:
the only way to make controllers viable in FPS games is with "aim assist".
in single player games, i usually enjoy the aiming handicap controllers bring (aim assist off)... at least when using my really worn in/comfy x360 controller. makes it a bit more immersive.

keyboard and mouse makes me feel like every character im controlling is john wick.

ps also mind your vsync settings. it can really throw off aiming feel.

Last edited:

Banned

that's simply not true whatsoever. whenever I read this I instantly just think "oh another one who sucks on a controller"

if the game has good controller support you can absolutely keep up with mouse players in many titles.
there's a streamer who, as an experiment, played Apex Legends on PC ranked in Masters lobbies with aim assist off for 5 months I think, and he had no real issue keeping up.

if you are good on a controller you will be better than most Mouse players even without aim assist...
super high skill mouse will still have an advantage but honestly, not as big of an advantage you'd think.

I would love to see a 1-on-1 with ImperialHAL on a mouse and Genburten on controller without assist... I honestly think Genburten would win many of those 1-on-1s and both are top Apex Legends Pro players (genburten's team recently won the ALGS 2022)

that's simply not true whatsoever. whenever I read this I instantly just think "oh another one who sucks on a controller"

if the game has good controller support you can absolutely keep up with mouse players in many titles.
there's a streamer who, as an experiment, played Apex Legends on PC ranked in Masters lobbies with aim assist off for 5 months I think, and he had no real issue keeping up.

if you are good on a controller you will be better than most Mouse players even without aim assist...
super high skill mouse will still have an advantage but honestly, not as big of an advantage you'd think.

I would love to see a 1-on-1 with ImperialHAL on a mouse and Genburten on controller without assist... I honestly think Genburten would win many of those 1-on-1s and both are top Apex Legends Pro players (genburten's team recently won the ALGS 2022)
Apex is not the best example since game sense and positioning are more important then aiming. I also think it's silly to counter an argument with an example of someone who is way way above average at something. Moose is the guys name you were looking for. Watched some clips. He's really good without AA but not nearly as good as with it. In about 10 SMG clips I didn't see any one clips without AA and didn't see any wingman headshots on moving targets while with AA I saw a lot of SMG one clips and wingman headshots.

twilo99

Yes, I think we should run into diminishing returns at some point, I don't know at what values that is, and its obviously going to be different for everyone, but for my personal abilities 165hz / 165fps is more then enough for my abilities.

Which game did you play at 244fps?

edit. wait, the video 01011001 posted above covers the diminishing returns thing

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I've never gamed on a TV or PC monitor/laptop that runs at 120 fps or higher.

At some point when I upgrade my gear, it'll be a standard feature, but for now the best I've played is peon 60 fps.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Yes, I think we should run into diminishing returns at some point, I don't know at what values that is, and its obviously going to be different for everyone, but for my personal abilities 165hz / 165fps is more then enough for my abilities.

Which game did you play at 244fps?
Some Warzone, Fortnite, Valorant and a lot of World of Tanks

All the usually suspects

Top Bottom