• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How does this meme stock thing end?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Fire and Blood

Game Of Thrones Yes GIF

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I'd be very wary of getting on a train at the tail end of a parabolic run, if someone out there is considering it. It'll return to Earth without warning and everyone will sell at the same time, a ton of stop losses will trigger, etc. There won't be time to react.

Not financial advice.

Nothing stopping you from making some stock trades as well, but short term trading typically underperforms long-term investing by a lot. Always have to remember that any gains you make in short term trading (holding under a year) are taxed as regular income, while gains from holding longer than a year are taxed as long-term capital gains (15% for most people). Long-term holding also insulates you from emotional buying and selling which can really screw you. Emotional trading always leads to buying high and selling low, e.g. letting fear of missing out drive you to buy into a parabolic event like the current GameStop one after most of the gains have already happened, and then selling after it falls back to Earth.

Not financial advice.

When a stock goes parabolic the second half of the parabola is always coming.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
It doesn't end (well it individually ends with a lot of people going broke from insane YOLOs), but as investing becomes more accessible with apps like Robinhood, I think we're only going to see more and more of this.

Last edited by a moderator:

bigsnack

It doesn't end (well it individually ends with a lot of people going broke from insane YOLOs), but as investing becomes more accessible with apps like Robinhood, I think we're only going to see more and more of this.
Agreed. I think this is hopefully a lesson to folks, that the rules haven't changed. The funds have infinite capital compared to a bunch of dudes on a messageboard or a subreddit. That's personally not a battle I would ever want to even step into the ring for. WSB was so focused on the short side, it didn't appear as though anyone was thinking about who might be LONG.

Last edited:

Enjay

Banned
Because from what I've seen about how our society has behaved, I don't see how it ends except with a total collapse of normal society.

I feel like the genie has been let out of the bottle, and there's no way to put it back.

So far there's been a couple of meme stocks a day. By next week there will be dozens. Next month, hundreds. By the end of the year 99% of all social media chatter will be nothing but WSB-type pump and dumps. You can see where this ends.

People will stop going to work. Because why work when you can get rich quick and chase meme stocks all day? Society will stop functioning.

And how do you stop it? Besides some huge government intervention?
People here will claim they made money. Nothing at all will change.

Myths

People are making money off this, they just don’t know when enough gain is a gain until it becomes a loss. It is at that point when they learn their lesson and realize there is a lot more complexity behind the market than being a panicky day trader or riding on the DD and momentum of others.

Maybe when SEC steps in to form some new policy or law quelling the momentum or gains of the individual’s investment. There are people losing and people gaining, both sides have brought in a flood of new traders whose life has been changed by a check they gambled on behalf of another.

MaestroMike

Gold Member

people that get hit now will learn their lesson and get ready to dupe the next generation who won't know any better who will then get hit and then they'll dupe the generation after them and so on and so forth.

Top Bottom