• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How exactly does PSN region locking work?

Kerotan

I game share with my brother. He has an EU account I buy my games on a US account.

Take destiny 2. The base game is F2P but I bought the DLC on the US account. When he plays Destiny 2 he needs to sign into my account and download the American version of the free base version so that he can play the DLC on his EU account.

If he downloads the EU version it doesn't recognize the DLC. It didn't recognize the dungeon key which you buy with in game currency.

So he pre ordered lightfall on his account as I'd bought all previous DLC and it turns out he'd have to switch versions of the download to play lightfall and then switch back to the version downloaded off my American account to play the rest. All while he's on his EU account.

Is there anyway around this because we're going to have to cancel lightfall pre order otherwise. Is DLC region locked to a particular SKU and is there anyway around this?

Three

I game share with my brother. He has an EU account I buy my games on a US account.

Take destiny 2. The base game is F2P but I bought the DLC on the US account. When he plays Destiny 2 he needs to sign into my account and download the American version of the free base version so that he can play the DLC on his EU account.

If he downloads the EU version it doesn't recognize the DLC. It didn't recognize the dungeon key which you buy with in game currency.

So he pre ordered lightfall on his account as I'd bought all previous DLC and it turns out he'd have to switch versions of the download to play lightfall and then switch back to the version downloaded off my American account to play the rest. All while he's on his EU account.

Is there anyway around this because we're going to have to cancel lightfall pre order otherwise. Is DLC region locked to a particular SKU and is there anyway around this?
DLC is game region specific but the console is region free. I had this issue on the PS3 when I bought DLC for burnout but had a US version of the game on an EU PS3. I think you have to make sure all bought DLC match the base game's region.

Last edited:

Tommi84

While sharing games is easy, DLC sharing is not - they are tied to the account that made the purchase and is not share'able with other accounts on the console. Stop doing this and all your issues will be solved

Kerotan

While sharing games is easy, DLC sharing is not - they are tied to the account that made the purchase and is not share'able with other accounts on the console. Stop doing this and all your issues will be solved
Not entirely true. The DLC work's if you download the game from the American account and then switch to play it on the EU.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Is DLC region locked to a particular SKU and is there anyway around this?
Strictly speaking, there's no region locking.
DLC is locked to one or more SKUs, and different regions typically receive different SKUs.
So by extension, most DLC compatibility falls along region lines, though this can be a publisher decision (publishing deals are also mostly separated by region-lines).

The real fun is that the same combinatorics mess affects save files (for non-service games). But one worse - some save files are not only compatible with single region only, they also only work with digital or disc editions of the game.

Not entirely true. The DLC work's if you download the game from the American account and then switch to play it on the EU.
Yea - DLC in that case works with US version of the game. Which account you use to play it on does not affect anything (console is region free after all).

Top Bottom