• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Far Cry Iconic Villains Were Created - Official Trailer | IGN Inside Stories

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Check out the trailer for Becoming Evil: How Far Cry's Iconic Villains Were Created, only on IGN coming October 3 at 7 AM PT, 10 AM ET, 3 PM GMT.

Far Cry's new villain is Anton Castillo (Giancarlo Esposito), but he's just the latest in a long line of beloved antagonists. Join the actors and developers who created them as they tell the inside story of how Far Cry's iconic villains were brought to life.

Far Cry Villains like Vaas (Michael Mando), Pagan Min (Troy Baker), and Joseph Seed (Greg Byrk) have all easily earned their place in the video game bad guy hall of fame. But now there's a new contender: Anton Castillo (Giancarlo Esposito). From wild audition tapes, ambitious writing, and an E3 demo that miraculously turned a cut character into Far Cry's iconic bad guy that started it all, this, is the inside story of how Far Cry's iconic villains were created.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Giancarlo Esposito shares a shocking behind the scenes story from Far Cry 6 in this deleted scene from Becoming Evil: How Far Cry's Iconic Villains Were Created, only on IGN coming October 3 at 7 AM PT, 10 AM ET, 3 PM GMT.

Far Cry Villains like Vaas (Michael Mando), Pagan Min (Troy Baker), and Joseph Seed (Greg Byrk) have all easily earned their place in the video game bad guy hall of fame. But now there's a new contender: Anton Castillo (Giancarlo Esposito). From wild audition tapes, ambitious writing, and an E3 demo that miraculously turned a cut character into Far Cry's iconic bad guy that started it all, this, is the inside story of how Far Cry's iconic villains were created.

Crocwrangler

Neo Member
Interesting to see how Vaas became so hugely popular (and the franchise with him). I do consider FC villains to be real good for most (Seed, Min, Ull, Montenegro and Volker being quite interesting characters. Yes, even Ull). I'm expecting the same quality for Castillo, even better now that we're getting 3rd person cinematics that do help showing other perspectives on characters. Yet i'm also concerned about FC6 other villains.

FC3 had the perfect rooster (the cannibalistic rapist, the volatile modern day pirate, the mad slave trader). FC4 had a lame henchman, an half baked arena master and a rather boring step Sister of crime. After such disappointment (for me), i was happy with the FC5 villain rooster (all had pretty interesting roles, special thanks to Jacob and the "only you" parts). Even though Castillo has more in common with Pagan, i hope his right arms have more teeth.

Vaelka

cover1.jpg

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Far Cry's new villain is Anton Castillo (Giancarlo Esposito), but he's just the latest in a long line of beloved antagonists. Join the actors and developers who created them as they tell the inside story of how Far Cry's iconic villains were brought to life.

Kilau

Gold Member
Really don’t like the villain cover art of this new one, really creepy vibe with the little kid and man behind him.

Venza

Banned
Vaas is the only iconic villian among those 3. After 3 Ubisoft blatantly tried to recreate his memorable insanity scene for 4 and 5 to middling effect. Father Joseph was more annoying than terrifying to me, pagan was decent because of Troy Baker and an intense dinner scene.

EDMIX

Really don’t like the villain cover art of this new one, really creepy vibe with the little kid and man behind him.
huh? Its his fucking son.

You telling me all the family photos you see of people, you bring up some "creepy vibe with the little kid and man"?

I'd question you more regarding that then a family photo my guy. I don't even know why someone's mind would got to that when first seeing this (something is already wrong in the first place even start thinking of that bud)

....get help lol

Vaas is the only iconic villian among those 3. After 3 Ubisoft blatantly tried to recreate his memorable insanity scene for 4 and 5 to middling effect. Father Joseph was more annoying than terrifying to me, pagan was decent because of Troy Baker and an intense dinner scene.

This.

Vaas was the only one of any note, and even he could have had a shot at being an iconic villain if they didn't fucking kill him off unsatisfyingly halfway through the game.

Kilau

Gold Member
huh? Its his fucking son.

You telling me all the family photos you see of people, you bring up some "creepy vibe with the little kid and man"?

I'd question you more regarding that then a family photo my guy. I don't even know why someone's mind would got to that when first seeing this (something is already wrong in the first place even start thinking of that bud)

....get help lol
All I said is it’s creepy and it is to me. These games typically get very psychologically twisted so it looks like child abuse to me.

I also really can’t stand that pig mask Ubi put all over the last watch dogs and it’s marketing. What does that say about me in your expert opinion?

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Far Cry 2 was released in 2008, and ever since then, The Jackal is one of the elements that framework the villains in the Far Cry series: a character who pops up occasionally to remind the character he's watching and a long-term goal for the player to hunt that seems completely untouchable at the game's start. Far Cry 2's main character is a simple merc sent into an unnamed African country to kill a notorious arms dealer known simply as The Jackal. His origins have always been up for debate among fans.

While many have always scoffed at this theory, it turns out this time, the fans actually got it right. In an interview with IGN, Far Cry 2’s creative director, Clint Hocking, confirmed that the fan theory was spot on. "The Jackal is actually supposed to be Jack Carver from the original Far Cry," Hocking told IGN in an interview. “The idea was this is just him, like 10 years later or something, after he's seen whatever he saw on this island, the idea is here is a decade later here he is kinda leveled up his smuggling game and he's gotten embroiled in this conflict but he's also been through a lot more and seen a lot of messed-up stuff."

Before this blunt confirmation in the above video, fans had a few different pieces of evidence that they believed proved their theory. First, the end of Far Cry Instincts features Carver taking a box full of diamonds, which turns out to be a huge plot point in Far Cry 2. Second, there happen to be a few texture files in Far Cry 2 that are labeled "jackcarver," even though Jack is never really named in-game. Fans put two-and-two together, and while for some it seemed like a stretch, at least now they know for sure.

Hocking's comments on the Jackal is the first time Ubisoft has clarified the link between the two characters. Unfortunately, not every question could be answered. Players are still trying to figure out how a nuke went off at the end of Far Cry 5 which started a whole war and continued to be seen in New Dawn, but yet Far Cry 6 seems to just make no mention of that. The easy answer is what the devs have said, "The games are connected but those connections are loose and not to be taken too seriously."

Top Bottom