• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How hard is Digital Devil Saga compared to other RPGs?

Prospero

I've been putting off buying DDS1 for months now, and I'm thinking about picking it up before it becomes too hard to find without paying a premium price on eBay. But I've got some reservations--help me out here.

The thing is--the take-no-prisoners difficulty of SMT: Nocturne just about ruined me for traditional RPGs. That was a hard, hard game, and I loved it. The reviews I've read about DDS say that it's more "accessible" than SMT: N, but seems to me that in order to create that accessibility, the designers took out everything that actually made Nocturne such a challenge (like the limit on acquired skills, the demon fusion, etcetera). And after Nocturne, the idea of playing a simpler RPG (in which all the obstacles can be overcome simply by powerlevelling) seems almost like a waste of time to me.

I could still get into the game, though, if it's somewhat challenging. So how hard is the game? Are we talking harder than FFX, for example, or about the same level of difficulty? (Note that I don't consider a super-high encounter rate as difficult--it doesn't matter if battles come every five seconds if each of those battles is stupid simple to beat.) Or is my perception of the game's difficulty wrong--is it actually pretty hard?

I never died once in Final Fantasy X, but I've died a good number of times in DDS. I've encountered a few sections where powerleveling will NOT help.

Tamanon

Banned
Just the addition of the Null type spells greatly decreased the difficulty. Also the fact that you don't have to constantly shuffle demons means your party grows to actually being balanced without having to replace someone every few levels.

And it's definitely more difficult than FFX, but only because it doesn't have the Sensor ability, the battles are more strategic and a lot of boss battles will come down to fighting the first time as a dry run to see the pattern and attacks, then the second time as the real fight:p VERY fun game though!

Prospero

MrAngryFace said:
Nocturn's gameplay is a little so simple. Nippon Ichi games have spoiled me.

See, there's my other problem--Makai Kingdom shipped to me today, and once that shows up I expect it to claim 70 hours of my life at the least (since I put about that much time into Disgaea and Phantom Brave). I can only spend so much time with RPGs.

Bebpo

Banned
DDS is easier than SMT3. But it's still pretty challenging.

The game is 85% about having the right skills and a smart strategy and 15% luck though, so just think intelligently and try to spread out skills between the characters and you should be ok.

maskrider

Tamanon said:
The story is AMAZING in DDS, IMO, really sets up the sequel also, which looks very interesting:)

I had recently finished DDS and half way through DDS2 (then stopped and played Shadow Hearts FTNW), the sequel reminds me of Star Ocean Till The End Of Time (in terms of the story).

Bebpo

Banned
maskrider said:
I had recently finished DDS and half way through DDS2 (then stopped and played Shadow Hearts FTNW), the sequel reminds me of Star Ocean Till The End Of Time (in terms of the story).

hehe, the story doesn't get really good until the 2nd half of DDS2. Then it gets really good! Expect a great plot when you get back to it.

maskrider

Bebpo said:
hehe, the story doesn't get really good until the 2nd half of DDS2. Then it gets really good! Expect a great plot when you get back to it.

I was about to get to
the sun
and stopped.

Saurus

All this DDS talk is REALLY making me want to pick it up before it disappears off store shelves. My only hesitation is by the time I finish SMT: Nocturne the PS3 will probably be out.

Shouta

DDS is more like 40% Strategy and 60% luck if you ask me. More than half the time, even with the right skils, you gotta be lucky that the enemy doesn't outright blow you away with some lucky shots or exploiting a weakness. You can never really figure out a strategy or setup that will be 90% proof against dying in any area because of how strong the game's approach is to weakness exploitation. It actually feels more like a game of rock-paper-scissors most of the time

Korranator

Shouta said:
DDS is more like 40% Strategy and 60% luck if you ask me. More than half the time, even with the right skils, you gotta be lucky that the enemy doesn't outright blow you away with some lucky shots or exploiting a weakness. You can never really figure out a strategy or setup that will be 90% proof against dying in any area because of how strong the game's approach is to weakness exploitation. It actually feels more like a game of rock-paper-scissors most of the time
That's why you work on skills that eventualy will overcome their weakness.

Ferrio

Banned
It's not bad, just sucks if you go into a fight with the wrong abilities.

The amount of fights wear on me though, gotta play DDS in small doses.

Shouta

Korranator said:
That's why you work on skills that eventualy will overcome their weakness.

Then there's lucky shots that the enemy will land on you which actually happen a bit too frequently. Besides, the skills that overcome your character's natural weaknesses aren't really achievable until towards the end of the game due to the high cost of the mantra which sort of makes it a bit meaningless since you'll only be using it for a fraction of the game.

Top Bottom