• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How high can Gamepass go before it’s too expensive?

What is your personal limit for monthly gamepass?

Votes: 102 27.6%

Votes: 117 31.6%

Votes: 57 15.4%
  • 30+

Votes: 39 10.5%
  • N/A it’s already too expensive for me

Votes: 55 14.9%

• Total voters

Sakura

15 dollars max. Maybe 20 if they have games I want each month.
Most of the stuff on the library I just don't care about.
The worst part about gamepass to me is we only get the base game, but have to buy additional content. Take AoE II Definitive Edition. You get the game, but have to buy the expansions. Or EUIV, no expansions, just the vanilla game. I'm sure Halo will be the same. Doesn't seem like a great value to me, especially when I expect more devs in the future to release increasingly barren games for "free" via these services then charge us for additional content.

CuNi

15€ for pcpass is my limit. Netflix is already stretching it thin too. We're only having netic because we're 4 dudes sharing the cost. Neither one of us would buy Netflix by himself. Too little value for way too much price.

Brofist

I knew someone would make that comment (but hoped you'd have had the brains not to).

I doesn't exist in a bubble. And '0, because it doesn't appeal to me/I disagree with it' is a choice, and a valid one. OP was asking about its value to people and that is a value.
You asked where the choice was and it's obvious it was intentionally left out, but seeing how your comment added no value to this topic you certainly would seem to be the expert on things that have no value.

Last edited:

SSfox

pretty impressive just how expansive gamepass is right

lol

Yes it is, for me at least. With 100 bucks per year i can buy 10 games or more on sales "games of my choice" and that "i will own", and i can replay whatever I want without having to spend extra money "again" in case I want to go back to one of those games. With Gamepass it's rent it won't stay forever for free, and even for exclusive while it will stay you have to stay subbed if you want to keep playing those, so in the end it's more expensive in the long run.

Without mentiong it's rare there is more than 1 interesting game per month in the service, let alone having time to play all those, gaming is my number 1 passion but tho I still enjoy doing other stuff with my time when I'm out of work, like some Sport, family, a movie or tv show time to time, if you're happy with it that's great and I'm happy for you (without irony), but sorry not my thing. I d rather put my money into the specific stuff that i love and enjoy.

If online was free on ps i wouldn't be ps+ tbh.

Last edited:

saintjules

$20 would be the max. If they somehow can push more day 1 3rd party releases and all of their exclusives day 1 on gamepass, then I can see it going as high as $29.99/month. And that's still a great value.

One thing I'd suggest is to keep games on the platform longer, specifically 1st party titles.

Chukhopops

Is there signs of game pass going up or is this thread just to speculate just in case?
Absolutely pure speculation and/or wishful thinking following the recent acquisition. Also MS has way less incentive to increase prices compared to a service like Netflix (which relies on sub revenue mostly since they don’t sell anything else).
With 100 bucks per year i can buy 10 games or more on sales "games of my choice" and that "i will own", and i can replay whatever I want without having to spend extra money "again" in case I want to go back to one of those games.
It’s a matter of preference but Id rather not own and play 15-20 day 1 new releases than own 10 bargain bin games bought for under 10 bucks.

MrTentakel

Do you think the MS Gaming does not need to earn money?
Do you think they decided to buy Acti instead of using their spare money for hookers and Black Jack?
-> The shareholders expect a ROI!
-> It is an investment, it needs to be profitable.

Of course they need to make money with gamepass. They will provide access to the ingame monitarisation and will earn some bucks here and there but make no mistake: After paying 500 bucks upfront for the hardware, we have the short end of the stick. They can, will and have to raise the prices to satisfy the sharehoulders after investing 70bln $.
I expect it to be 14.99 in 2023, and the astroturfers are checking the sentiment already.

Last edited:

Iced Arcade

Yes it is, for me at least. With 100 bucks per year i can buy 10 games or more on sales "games of my choice" and that "i will own", and i can replay whatever I want without having to spend extra money "again" in case I want to go back to one of those games. With Gamepass it's rent it won't stay forever for free, and even for exclusive while it will stay you have to stay subbed if you want to keep playing those, so in the end it's more expensive in the long run.

Without mentiong it's rare there is more than 1 interesting game per month in the service, let alone having time to play all those, gaming is my number 1 passion but tho I still enjoy doing other stuff with my time when I'm out of work, like some Sport, family, a movie or tv show time to time, if you're happy with it that's great and I'm happy for you (without irony), but sorry not my thing. I d rather put my money into the specific stuff that i love and enjoy.

I think everyone can agree just how expansive gamepass really is

Ozriel

M$FT
Do you think the MS Gaming does not need to earn money?
Do you think they decided to buy Acti instead of using their spare money for hookers and Black Jack?
-> The shareholders expect a ROI!
-> It is an investment, it needs to be profitable.

Of course they need to make money with gamepass. They will provide access to the ingame monitarisation and will earn some bucks here and there but make no mistake: After paying 500 bucks upfront for the hardware, we have the short end of the stick. They can, will and have to raise the prices to satisfy the sharehoulders after investing 70bln $.
I expect it to be 14.99 in 2023, and the astroturfers are checking the sentiment already.

Gamepass Ultimate is already $14.99.

Also, there are multiple ways to grow revenue. One is to increase prices. The other is to expand the user base. They are already expanding the user base. 7 million last year, and most certainly they’ll add more this year as xCloud expands and they sell more consoles.

It will not cost more than $20 per month by the end of the gen, at worst.

PS: ‘profitable’ doesn’t mean recouping the activision or blizzard investment in a short time. The value of the asset is still there. Have you seen any Facebook investor asking them to get rid of WhatsApp that they bought for $20bn? You think WhatsApp has recovered a decent fraction of that money?

yurinka

Right now here the website price is 120€/year for GP, 155€/year GPU.

Which I think that if you're already paying stuff like PS Plus, Netflix, Disney Plus and Prime is already too much if you aren't really interested in the included games, but still is a great deal.

But thanks god there's the CD keys and the conversion from Gold that makes it way cheaper so it makes it an even better deal, and even if you're interested only on a few months it's worth if you're interested in some of the games.

I think it will be more appealing in a few years from now, once it starts to get many brand new AAA games per year from Ninja Theory, Zenimax, ABK and so on.

20€/year would mean 240€/year, which is a nope unless you're interested on many of these games. Because if you're really interested on them will still be a great deal, and if you can afford it will be ok. But the average player that let's say buy 12 games for a console across 6 years at an average of let's say 40€, it means that on average mainstream console player buy around 2 games per year spending 80€/year (+Gold/Plus).

So the current 120€ (+Gold/Plus) or 155€/year is already maybe too expensive for the average player unless going via cd key stores, which I think the average player doesn't do. Specially considering that these games are rented con can't be sold in the second hand market to get back part of that money.

I think that like getting Gold or Plus only for the games it's a good deal, but maybe not enough for many players. The best part is being able to pay a single isolated month to play some specific games you want to play, and to unsubscribe and go back months or year later for another month once there are some other games that interest you.

MrTentakel

^
Gamepass Ultimate is already $14.99.

Also, there are multiple ways to grow revenue. One is to increase prices. The other is to expand the user base. They are already expanding the user base. 7 million last year, and most certainly they’ll add more this year as xCloud expands and they sell more consoles.

It will not cost more than $20 per month by the end of the gen, at worst.

PS: ‘profitable’ doesn’t mean recouping the activision or blizzard investment in a short time. The value of the asset is still there. Have you seen any Facebook investor asking them to get rid of WhatsApp that they bought for $20bn? You think WhatsApp has recovered a decent fraction of that money?

Ok, here it`s 12.99€/month. And 20$/month is a price hike of 33% (base 15$), which is a lot.
Either way, I`ll enjoy my GPU till March 2024 and then we will see. Buying the titles I like is a valid option for me.
I have no idea how much money Facebook gained through WhatsApp and Instagram but that`s a very interessting question- but there were talks for a subsciption based Facebook system ;)

Maximum I would spend is £15 a month for GPU. It’s really good but the whole reason it’s so good at the moment is because it (to me at least) provides genuine value for money. If it starts hitting £20 in the future, I’ll probably just go back to Gold and pick up anything I want to play separately.

Batiman

Banned

Nah they’re putting out a lot more than 1 interesting game a month. At least 3-4 for me on average

I’d disagree. I feel the average gamer buys more than that. Excluding the COD, fifa madden bros.
Lifetime attach rate for video game consoles has been under 10 for decades. People really do only buy a handful of full-priced games per year.

Last edited:

Cherrypepsi

there is a window of acceptance for me between two other services

Spotify Premium 9,99€
Netflix Premium 17,99€

if you stay in the range between these two, I will likely let it on auto renew or even forget about it
if you go above Netflix, I will probably cancel it when I get my next cancel marathon to take some pressure off my wallet ;-)

there you go Microsoft, there is your golden rule

sweetspot: 17,99 / 2 + 9,99 / 2 = 13,99

sircaw

Banned
I would say 5 bucks a month would be the max i would consider, i don't play a lot of different games, and prefer to stick to one game over a long period of time.

Also, the fact that a game might get removed from game pass seems like a big no for me.

Imagine if i play diablo for 11 months of the year then on the twelfth month they decide to remove it, not only do i lose my fav game, but i would probably have to end up buying it, the11 months paying for a game pass service would seem like a waste as i don't own anything.

What would the discount be for buying the game when it gets removed.

For people that play alot of games, i can see it being attractive, not sure it works for me though.

Last edited:

Novak

Ultimate is 180$ so 3 games at $60 each (regular gp $120 or 2 games at $60).
I will be ok with price increase as long as they keep that ratio. For example if games go to $80 I will be ok with $240 per year for Ultimate.

megamerican

If they want me to subscribe year round it would need to be under $20.00 with taxes included. Just because there are so many dry months where I might not even try anything. Netflix is already seeing issues with its subscriber base after one too many price increases. With a company like MS, having a larger sub base is probably worth losing a potential few bucks on the back end.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
As long as they don't axe the 'gold to GPU' upgrade, it really doesn't matter to me much personally.

Cheap 12 month Gold Keys will always be available either via sales or VPN. It's incredibly easy to top up 3 years of Game Pass Ultimate for less than $100.

On console i think they can go with 20-25 dollars if their catalogue is gigantic and they put on gamepass all of their AAA on release day.
If you don't count pre-release (sold separately).

It would be ironic if they made a higher tier that includes pre-release access.

Only stupid YouTubers would be confused.
GIF by Achievement Hunter

Greg: so we get games on release day in the basic version of Gamepass and the gold gp version gives you access to games before they even get released! Awesome!

Or in its current form: i got Gamepass because the games are all free and I can get the on "release day"... And it's even better because I get a rebate to get to play it even earlier!

Day and date is a blatant lie.

Ozriel

M$FT
Ok, here it`s 12.99€/month. And 20$/month is a price hike of 33% (base 15$), which is a lot.

Not really a lot, since you’re getting a significant value hike. You forget their newly expanded first party machine is going to start showing results from Q3 this year, and will most likely ramp up to 5-6 AAA games per year by 2024.

saintjules

When you think about it with how many studios Microsoft now have they could put out a major game every 2 or 3 months

Would make sense when you look at those studios they have under the belt. I'd suspect in the next 2-3 years that could be a reality.

Trogdor1123

$20 for me. I use it only the Xbox and the computers in the house but anymore than that and I’d just buy the damn games instead

Top Bottom