• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How is EA making a profit on Madden?

EA's deal with the NFL was worth 2 billion dollars over 5-6 years (including marketing commitments).

Let's extend this to the full 6 because we don't know the exact language of the deal, this is the most conservative way to look at it.

333 million dollars per year.

At 70 dollars per copy (they're not going to sell every copy for a full 70) minus royalties mean 50 dollars of revenue per game.

This means each version of Madden needs to sell at least 6.66 million copies per year to just cover the cost of the exclusivity contract. I know they're going to make considerable money on MTX, but you still need to account for the development cost of the game.

Ultimately this is why Madden is so garbage because EA knows that they need to minimize development costs every year AND make as much as they can on MTX just to generate a profit due to the exclusivity deal, meanwhile the NFL doesn't care because they're getting 2 billion dollars out of it, which is more than they'd probably make with multiple individual license holders.

feynoob

Banned
Loot boxes, which is disguised as packages, where you spend more than 10$.
EA knows their audience. And sport fans would want to get their teams player.

For example in fifa, I have to grind fifa coins nonstop, or i just spend money buying points. This way, I can do my summon, which allows me to get a good unit. This is the mtx, which EA knows would make tons of money.

Even with shit development, Madden is just like fifa. You dont need alot of work. Just reuse the old assets, and upgrade the graphics. The game mechanics is the same, aside of extra contents.

6.6 million copies doesn't seem that many in a country of 360+ million people.

I say that as Gridiron does tend to be a very U.S centric sport - unlike football which is truly a global entity.

Now, obviously, you can't count everyone of those 360+ million as being a potential customer - but I'd still imagine those a real hardcore mix of gamers AND American football fans who would buy this every year the way Europeans (not exclusively, of course) tend to buy FIFA.

Plus, as others have said, Madden, just like Fifa, has loot boxes and micro-transactions that are highly lucrative.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Had no idea they paid this much for it. That's a lot.

I'm surprised they don't release more games based on the license, tbh. Get it on the switch, make a NFL VR game. Really milk it.

They seem content to just stick with the base game + mobile.

2 billion over 5-6 years is chump change when you consider they made 1.62 billion last year on the gambling bullshit aka Ultimate Team alone. The fact they decided to hide those earnings in this year's SEC should tell you how lucrative this is.

feynoob

Banned
2 billion over 5-6 years is chump change when you consider they made 1.62 billion last year on the gambling bullshit aka Ultimate Team alone. The fact they decided to hide those earnings in this year's SEC should tell you how lucrative this is.
This is the exact reason why fifa left them. EA is making more money on UT. Fifa wanted slice of that.

This deal feels like the NFL got ripped off.
$1b a year is like $5b-$6b in that frame period of the deal.

Mattyp

Gold Member
This is the exact reason why fifa left them. EA is making more money on UT. Fifa wanted slice of that.

This deal feels like the NFL got ripped off.
$1b a year is like $5b-$6b in that frame period of the deal.

FIFA needed EA at this point not the other way around, the NFL is massive machine the few billion they make off a game they don’t have to lift a single finger for is just icing on the regular advertising aspect.

Skifi28

cjKcs4r.gif

I think they're doing just fine

Last edited:

Warablo

The ultimate team in every sports game makes a ton of money, then they just wipe your progress with the next year game to restart.

Last edited:
They make more money from the microtransactions than they do from the sticker price of the game itself. Catastrophically more. There’s a reason why most mobile games are ‘free’

Gambling makes bank.

Last edited:

Fox Mulder

They’re robbing the nfl using the league’s popularity and branding to make billions with a gambling mode in a thoroughly mediocre game.

Top Bottom