• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How long can PC gaming last with current prices on graphics cards?

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I dread what my next pc will cost. Thinking of going 12900k…..looks like it’s time for me to call in a Few favours with my tech colleagues. hopefully I can get some samples.

nikos

PC gaming will exist as long as gaming does.

It's not too difficult to get a card at, or near, MSRP. Sure, the MSRP is higher than it was a year ago but PC gaming has never particularly been cheap.

FutureMD

It's not too difficult to get a card at, or near, MSRP. Sure, the MSRP is higher than it was a year ago but PC gaming has never particularly been cheap.
Got any links to an in stock $699 or even $799 RTX 3080? And while PC gaming wasn't cheap, $500-600 would get you a great card, with the top end $1000 being reserved for crazy cards like Titan. Now 4 digits is the norm for any high end.

Dream-Knife

Banned
Because even if i was willing to pay for a 3080 it would be more of a short-term investment as it would certainly not be sufficient to play real Next-Gen games (and not the cross-gen stuff we're surrounded with) at Ultra - 4K - 60fps, which are the only reason i would spend all these money to begin with.
Even a 3090 struggles with those broken games.

00_Zer0

Most PC gamers run there games on low/medium end PC's and laptops. Just look at the Steam hardware reports and you will see.

Everything is getting more expensive, yes, but PC gaming will persist and do well into the future because of those low spec and mid tier machines. I believe MSRP will be closer to reality in 2023-24. That's when I will upgrade my PC.

I have a PC with a Ryzen 3700X, a 5700XT GPU from Sapphire, and 32 gigs of ram, all running on an Asus 570 gaming plus wifi motherboard. I don't really need the 32 gigs of ram, but got a good deal on them and put them in anyway. It's the only upgrade I did on this PC back in 2020.

I'm more interested in AA games and 2D indie style games anyway, as well as emulation. I play some AAA games like RE Village and it runs just fine on my set up.

I am not worried about the latest and greatest out there. I run my desktop at 1440p on my LG CX Oled to get 120 hz smoothness all without a hdmi 2.1 card.

I just don't feel like I need to upgrade yet and want to make this last as long as possible for my gaming needs.

I plan to upgrade this rig within the next 2 years without changing motherboards.
I will probably upgrade to a 5950X or a 5800X3D depending on price/performance, then a new PSU and then finally a graphics card, all between 2023-2024. By then pricing will be closer to MSRP and it will be better, so I have no worries about PC gaming.

Wait...if you're saying the problem is GPU prices then the answer is simple. PC gaming will last as long as people are willing to keep paying these prices. You need to understand that the prices are staying this high because the DEMAND is so high. If the demand is that high for PC gaming hardware then obviously it proves that PC gaming is doing really well....maybe TOO well for people who can't afford to compete with all these other buyers.

Your post would make WAY more sense if it said "how long can PC gaming last with current GPU SUPPLY SHORTAGES. High demand does not hurt an industry haha. Supply shortages due to running low on raw material to make your product could though!

Haggard

Banned
You need to understand that the prices are staying this high because the DEMAND is so high. If the demand is that high for PC gaming hardware then obviously it proves that PC gaming is doing really well...
....you realize that 90+% of the hardware is bought by miners, not gamers, right?
Not saying PC gaming is dieing or anything just pointing out that that your logic has nothing to do with the current reality of the market.

Last edited:
Most PC gamers run there games on low/medium end PC's and laptops. Just look at the Steam hardware reports and you will see.

Everything is getting more expensive, yes, but PC gaming will persist and do well into the future because of those low spec and mid tier machines. I believe MSRP will be closer to reality in 2023-24. That's when I will upgrade my PC.

I have a PC with a Ryzen 3700X, a 5700XT GPU from Sapphire, and 32 gigs of ram, all running on an Asus 570 gaming plus wifi motherboard. I don't really need the 32 gigs of ram, but got a good deal on them and put them in anyway. It's the only upgrade I did on this PC back in 2020.

I'm more interested in AA games and 2D indie style games anyway, as well as emulation. I play some AAA games like RE Village and it runs just fine on my set up.

I am not worried about the latest and greatest out there. I run my desktop at 1440p on my LG CX Oled to get 120 hz smoothness all without a hdmi 2.1 card.

I just don't feel like I need to upgrade yet and want to make this last as long as possible for my gaming needs.

I plan to upgrade this rig within the next 2 years without changing motherboards.
I will probably upgrade to a 5950X or a 5800X3D depending on price/performance, then a new PSU and then finally a graphics card, all between 2023-2024. By then pricing will be closer to MSRP and it will be better, so I have no worries about PC gaming.
Personally I game at 1080p. At that resolution I always get locked 60fps with all the settings on ultra.
This is good enough for me.

I'll upgrade my pc when I won't have to hunt down a 3080 on kijiji for 2500$CAD. I usually prefer pc gaming but these prices are just insane. Instead of using my consoles solely for the exclusives I might have to use them for third party games as well.

Vick

Gold Member
Vick Vick Digital foundry John specifically said the x1x version and ps4 pro version had higher res textures than the base consoles which means ps4 does not use ultra textures.
He said some bullshit then.

<Item>
<level>kPresetLevel_PS4_1080P</level>
<collection>
<version value="1"/>
<configSource>kSettingsConfig_Preset</configSource>
<graphics>
<ID>Graphics</ID>
<tessellation>kSettingLevel_High</tessellation>
<shadowQuality>kSettingLevel_High</shadowQuality>
<reflectionQuality>kSettingLevel_Low</reflectionQuality>
<mirrorQuality>kSettingLevel_Medium</mirrorQuality>
<ssao>kSettingLevel_Medium</ssao>
<textureQuality>kSettingLevel_Ultra</textureQuality>
<particleQuality>kSettingLevel_High</particleQuality>
<waterQuality>kSettingLevel_High</waterQuality>
<grassQuality>kSettingLevel_Medium</grassQuality>
<shaderQuality>kSettingLevel_High</shaderQuality>
<msaa value="0"/>
<msaaFragments value="0"/>
<lodScale value="1.00000000"/>
</graphics>
<advancedGraphics>
<ID>AdvancedGraphics</ID>
<postFX>kSettingLevel_Ultra</postFX>
<shadowDistance value="1.00000000"/>
<shadowSplitZStart value="0.93000000"/>
<shadowSplitZEnd value="0.89000000"/>
<shadowAircraftExpWeight value="0.99000000"/>
<cityDensity value="1.00000000"/>
<pedVarietyMultiplier value="0.80000000"/>
<vehicleVarietyMultiplier value="0.80000000"/>
<shadowParticleShadows value="true"/>
<reflectionMipBlur value="true"/>
<taaEnabled value="true"/>
<sharpenEnabled value="true"/>
<fxaaEnabled value="false"/>
<velocityBufferEnabled value="true"/>
<shaderSSA value="true"/>
<dofHighResEnabled value="false"/>
<particleOverallQuality value="0.40000000"/>
<particleLightingQuality value="0.40000000"/>
<particleShadowQuality value="0.40000000"/>
<particleCountScaleQuality value="0.40000000"/>
<waterReflectionResX value="512"/>
<waterReflectionResY value="256"/>
<scatteringVolumeQuality>kSettingLevel_High</scatteringVolumeQuality>
<volumetricsQuality>kSettingLevel_Medium</volumetricsQuality>
</advancedGraphics>
<video>
<ID>Video</ID>
<screenWidth value="1920"/>
<screenHeight value="1080"/>
<vSync value="2"/>
<pauseOnFocusLoss value="true"/>
</video>
<videoCardDescription>PS4 1080</videoCardDescription>
</collection>
</Item>

This is PS4 Day One, so already downgraded compared to 1.00.

Textures are Ultra on PS4 even on current version though, they were never lower than that.

He said some bullshit then.

This is PS4 Day One, so already downgraded compared to 1.00.

Textures are Ultra on PS4 even on current version though, they were never lower than that.
I watched the df video again and actually he said there “might” be higher res textures and there might not. But thinking about it the textures may just look a lot sharper on xbox one x due to the 4k > 1080p gap and heavy TAA.

If ps4 uses ultra textures than the 4gb 960 would have no problem with them but then again you miss out on the 1.0 assets on PC.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
How do you use Nis properly?

Should you lower the resolution in game or?

If I do that then it looks like shit?

Sybrix

Lots of components have a huge life, i'm still rocking my GTX 1080 and i can play most new games at high, 2k 60+fps

I did upgrade my MOBO, RAM and CPU 2 years ago which has helped keep my 1080 in the game so to speak.

zeomax

Nvidia control panel. In the resolution tab.

SY4kGsW.jpg

Last edited:
Between the lack of good Steam sales and overpriced hardware for such a long time, I think the PC market’s growth will slow. There are a lot of people like myself that are sticking with consoles for the foreseeable future. I have my 1070 but the only thing I really need to play on a PC are FPS.

I’ve essentially thrown in the towel. I priced out a build 12600k/6700xt and it was gonna run $2800 ($1200+ tax just for the GPU) from Newegg Canada. Yes, it would be better than my PS5 and Series X, but not ~$1600 worth of quality better than the consoles.
Just gonna sit it out and wait.
Do what I did and buy a gaming laptop. I got one with 11800h/3060 for $1600 all-in and it’s fantastic. I use it as a desktop replacement and sometimes take it down to the TV.

Between the lack of good Steam sales and overpriced hardware for such a long time, I think the PC market’s growth will slow. There are a lot of people like myself that are sticking with consoles for the foreseeable future. I have my 1070 but the only thing I really need to play on a PC are FPS.
I’m confused. I just bought like 20 games from Steam for 60-90% off during the holiday and lunar sale. What more do you want?

MikeM

Do what I did and buy a gaming laptop. I got one with 11800h/3060 for $1600 all-in and it’s fantastic. I use it as a desktop replacement and sometimes take it down to the TV.
Thought about it but I don’t need the portability. Was looking at a GP 66 3070 for $2400 but I can get a prebuilt 3060ti for $1800. Thanks tho.

Reallink

I’m confused. I just bought like 20 games from Steam for 60-90% off during the holiday and lunar sale. What more do you want?

5 - 10 years ago literally every game more than 6mo - 1yr old sold at 75-90% discounts during sales, most of them on the limited time daily deals. They discontinued those long ago so these days the overwhelming majority of titles run 20-30%, with a few reaching 50%. 75-90% is exceedingly rare and are usually unknowns, trash, or stuff that's been "free" on PS+/EGS/ Bundles. I own 1300 games on Steam and haven't bought anything directly from Valve since like 2013. Steam direct sales have been dogshit sucker prices for a long time.

Last edited:

Malio

I was all ready to build a new PC last year but the GPU bullsh1t was too much for me. I bought a Series S for $300 bucks and called it a day. I’ll ride it out with that, my Switch and my 2019 Pc with a 1660ti.

zkorejo

Gpu shortages are due to chip shortages and higher demand due to mining. I read somewhere chip shortages will end by 2023. Mining should also die down once eth 2.0 is released and it goes from proof of work to proof of stake.

My prediction is, gpu prices will be normal by next year this time.

PC gaming will be fine. If it didn't hurt in the last two years of crazy pricing, I don't see it getting any worse now.

Edit: Not to mention, there will be a flood of used GPUs in the market once/if mining goes down.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Gpu shortages are due to chip shortages and higher demand due to mining. I read somewhere chip shortages will end by 2023. Mining should also die down once eth 2.0 is released and it goes from proof of work to proof of stake.

My prediction is, gpu prices will be normal by next year this time.

PC gaming will be fine. If it didn't hurt in the last two years of crazy pricing, I don't see it getting any worse now.

Edit: Not to mention, there will be a flood of used GPUs in the market once/if mining goes down.
There is shortage of everything in result. Even when I order new parts in work, the wait is months

PantsPocket

Neo Member
Had a 980ti.

1080 'My 980ti is still performing great, no need to upgrade'
2080 'I don't really care about ray tracing, and that's adding cost and therefore removing value. I'll hold on until next gen'
3080 'This is great, I'm in! Ok and now to just check the stock....'

June 2021 *980ti finally dies after around 6 years of chugging away, doing it's best*

Today GTX1050 Indy-only system. Gone from a PC gamer to Switch/PS5 gamer. Dreaming of the day when I can come back and do a 1440p 144hz FPS playthrough of RDR2. Dreaming of the day PC gaming is accessible again.

Last edited:

dcx4610

It's always been niche and for the elitist crowd and will remain that way. A lot of casual PC gamers just use laptops or buy pre-built machines. Those of us who build knows how it goes and already have a decent build and will either save up or wait it out.

I still have a 2070 and it handles most everything I throw at it at 1440p. There are some games like Cyberpunk and newer games I'm holding off on for a better card so I can get high frame rate. My backlog is massive though so I have plenty of games to play until I can get a new card.

Last edited:
Top Bottom