• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How long do you think it will be until game pass is on PlayStation?

sainraja

And even then, it wont be the gamepass we know today. Sony just allowed EA and Ubisoft, but disallowed day one releases. There is no Sony is going to allow MS to have Atomic Heart, Wu Long and other games on their service on day one. They want that 30% cut on the $70 game. Not a 30% cut on a $10 sub.
That's interesting; I had no idea Sony forbade third-party subscription services from adding Day 1 releases to their subscriptions. I had to double-check EA Play and Ubisoft+ and between the two, only Ubisoft+ seems to offer new releases at launch, while EA Play offers you to play new releases before release for up to 10 hours so it sounds like a trial to me. There seems to be a Pro Plan that seems to suggest something close to day one, but the language is not clear on if you will be able to play it without any restrictions; it only says select new titles days before launch, and in the Pro Plan it does not say for how long. When did this change? I thought EA Play didn't offer any day one releases.

EDIT
Also, EA Play was added to PS in 2019.

Last edited:

SNG32

why is it anti-consumer? Sony spends billions on hardware. billions more on marketing. billions on first party games. all to cultivate an audience that they can then charge 30% for. Why should ubisoft sweep in and get access to that audience for a small $3 fee on a $10 sub?

this aint a charity.
You realize you paid over 500 dollars for that console plus a monthly subscription to go online. Sony shouldn’t exclude its customers from shit other services are providing.

Saber

Gold Member
First of all I’m saying game pass for there exclusives I’m not saying for third party. Sony can still have their subscription service and make money.

Dude, for godsake why would Sony put something in their eco-system just to compete against itself? They don't put anything there to not interfere with plus.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
You realize you paid over 500 dollars for that console plus a monthly subscription to go online. Sony shouldn’t exclude its customers from shit other services are providing.
Holy fuck this is dumb. You paid $500 for a Sony made box to play Sony made games. Entering else is a bonus.

Imagine buying a Honda and being upset you can’t put Nissan seats in it.

SNG32

Dude, for godsake why would Sony put something in their eco-system just to compete against itself? They don't put anything there to not interfere with plus.
They get Microsoft exclusives so what are they competing against? They still have their own games and own service people will still buy into.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
season 7 waylan smithers GIF

(Couldn’t resist, but I agree with you)
Just wouldn't be plausible while Sony is offering it's own subscription service.

SNG32

Holy fuck this is dumb. You paid $500 for a Sony made box to play Sony made games. Entering else is a bonus.

Imagine buying a Honda and being upset you can’t put Nissan seats in it.
This doesn’t make sense because all games on a Sony console are not all made by Sony.

A version with 3rd parties would never be allowed by Sony as it would hemorrhage sales, a version with only first party probably wouldn't be profitable for Microsoft, unless it would be streaming only. I doubt we see it

SNG32

A version with 3rd parties would never be allowed by Sony as it would hemorrhage sales, a version with only first party probably wouldn't be profitable for Microsoft, unless it would be streaming only. I doubt we see it
How wouldn’t it be profitable for Microsoft if the point is for them to get their first party games on a wider base? They need there games on as many plaforms as possible if they want to keep selling it as cheap as it is now.

Otherwise the price of gamepass is getting jacked up.

Last edited:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
And even then, it wont be the gamepass we know today. Sony just allowed EA and Ubisoft, but disallowed day one releases. There is no Sony is going to allow MS to have Atomic Heart, Wu Long and other games on their service on day one. They want that 30% cut on the $70 game. Not a 30% cut on a $10 sub.

I was more thinking when Gamepass is on everything like a Netflix app, sony would have to allow it or lose money.

Last edited:

Neilg

Sony would bare minimum want at least 50% of the revenue from any subscription which accesses it through PS, and MS would never go for that, so there's no way it's ever happening.

Not even getting into how the platforms being independent of one another is actually good for both brands. Their most important customers buy both consoles and both sets of streaming services. The idea of 2 major multinational corporations collaborating to save money for the customers with the most disposable income is insane.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Yes. I chose to invest $500 into Sonys ecosystem knowing full well they would never allow MS Gamepass on their system.

This is like signing a marriage contract with your wife then getting upset that she wont let you fuck hookers.

SNG32

Sony would bare minimum want at least 50% of the revenue from any subscription which accesses it through PS, and MS would never go for that, so there's no way it's ever happening.

Not even getting into how the platforms being independent of one another is actually good for both brands. Their most important customers buy both consoles and both sets of streaming services. The idea of 2 major multinational corporations collaborating to save money for the customers with the most disposable income is insane.
Do you think at this point microsoft cares about hardware sales? Gamepass is only on Xbox consoles and a few PC’s. They can only go so far with that base. They want more users and they want it also on Nintendo and Sony. The old ways of how gaming is slowly dying. Eventually everything will be a subscription. Either that or pay 100 dollar plus games. Sony and Nintendo are just stalling the traditional way out. Sony is now smelling the coffee and starting to branch out to PC only a matter of time before a PlayStation plus service is on there.

This Activision/Blizzard deal is leverage to make gamepass a reality to have it on PlayStation and Nintendo.

Last edited:

coffinbirth

Would've been DAY ONE if Sony knew how to combat webkit exploits and included a goddamned WEB BROSWER.

Yeah, I know about the "secret" one...GP errors out.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
It is only a matter of time. Sony screwed itself over with its own hands by producing only triple A titles, one more equal than the other. They don't know how to create an exclusive that isn't heavily focused on the story and third person. The fact is that having built your success on these foundations, it forces you to maintain it, as long as the market supports you. But when the whole market starts to veer elsewhere, so with subscription services, sooner or later you too will be affected and you will have to revisit the way you offer your first party productions. Playstation exclusives lack originality, they never take risks, they don't want uncertainties of any kind. They have always been the same since 2009. Uncharted 2 was a triumph, but I think that in the long term there will be critical issues regarding the sustainability of their productions. I mean, PS6 exclusives could cost as much as $200-300 million each. With these terms how can you risk? This is what the end of Playstation will look like. Xbox won't beat them. They will die by their own hands.
I wouldn't worry. Don't they have 10 GaaS games in production?

SNG32

Yes. I chose to invest $500 into Sonys ecosystem knowing full well they would never allow MS Gamepass on their system.

This is like signing a marriage contract with your wife then getting upset that she wont let you fuck hookers.
This is the most corporate cock sucking post. I’ve read in a minute.

Yoboman

We don’t know what the conversation was. Sony probably doesn’t want a Microsoft service period. It took them a long time to get behind the idea of allowing Ea and Ubisoft services on the platform.
We don't need to. Microsoft are free to start publishing more games than Minecraft on PlayStation but they haven't

never unless microsoft literally go 3rd party. then they could put their games and services on any platform. thats the only way this could possibly ever happen.

So this is what the average Xbox customer know about how the gaming buisnesss works. No wonder they still play on Xbox. They must think Gamepass is some magic software, not knowing the contracts involved. I think it is a waste of time explaining this to him as i am not sure he would comprehend basic commercial terms.

Never. Nintendo likely won't let it on their platform. Unless Microsoft cannibalise the third party market which I believe they are, to push Sony and Nintendo to accept GamePass as a provider of third party games.

Sw0pDiller

The gamepass deal would be modified for exclusives and not third party. I think Sony shouldn’t be anti-gamer here and allow us the option.
Well, Ms could just release them first party games on ps? Just like the release them on Xbox besides GP. Sony would welcome that very much... Pro gamer as you would name it.

NikuNashi

Sony wouldn't let it happen. A service that's losing the provider money by devaluing games and giving them away for next to nothing. The real question is how long MS will continue flogging this dead horse as obviously given hardware sales it's not working out for them.

T0minator

I mean the writing is on the wall with the Nintendo deal and where Microsoft wants to take the Xbox gamepass brand. How long do you think it will take for Sony to bite the bullet?

I think Sony needs to stop being anti-gamer and let PlayStation users have the option to have it.

Gamepass on PS5 would probably be offered through the cloud, unless their dev teams split up even more resources including support to workout out the Series S versions of all their games this generation.

It just won't happen.

It's not as simple as flipping a switch and making it happen. Sony knows it. PlayStation does not need Gamepass to be successful this generation

If this Activision deal flops, I can see MS going full third party by next gen and GP could end up anywhere including Playstation though it will probably be limited on Playstation. I can’t see Sony letting them offer the full slate of GP 3rd party games as that would eat into their revenue. It will probably be limited only to MS first party games.

Top Bottom