• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How many consoles have you owned that had hardware failure?

Only one, the good old YLOD on PS3... "luckily" 6 weeks after buying, so full manufacturer guarantee (yay Europe!) but man, the 3 weeks wait was like hell.

My PSX had to be put into a specific rotational degree (about 150-160°) on it's head to read a disc, but worked... so, no "failure" :D

ACESHIGH

Banned
Just a PS1 from connecting it to 220V without a voltage converter/transformer. I was able to fix it but had issues reading some discs.

ahtlas7

2 RROD Boxes
still Have working og PS3, PS4 slim, og Xbox one, 3rd 360, Zelda themed WiiU, og Wii, 3DS
PC related: 1 graphics card shoot fire on first start up and 2080 died in the hight of gc shortage.

SZips

PS1: Infamous issue with the discs not reading until you turned the console upside-down. Then even that stopped working.

PS2: I cannot remember what the issue was but I know I ended up having to get the slim PS2.

Xbox 360: Near-launch model had an issue with reading discs. I wanted to play it safe so I sent it in for repairs. Took them a month to send me a refurbished model that wasn't the one I sent them. The one they sent me was a "fixed" launch console.
That one also broke on me. Gave me the RROD after maybe a year? Ended up then getting an Xbox 360 Elite or 360 S (Slim), can't remember which off hand but pretty sure it was the S model.

Been lucky with the rest of my hardware thus far. Intellivision up through PS4.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
Atari 2600 - Its joysticks were horrible quality. They were as sturdy as a biscuit.

Famicom - Power supply burst and smoked a lot. Good thing I had a repair shop close. I think I was his favourite customer since fixed my Famicom countless times. Probably even selling me the wrong power adaptor? Lol. But that's because I used to abuse it leaving it on all night after a long day playing already so I wouldn't lose progress. Some games didn't have saves nor passwords. Or I was deep into a difficult level I didn't want to redo it so had to leave it on.

Sega Mega Drive - No problems whatsoever.

PS - Disc read errors after years of use. Used to turn it upside down for it to work. I think that happened due to using copy CDs instead of original ones and therefore the lens was abused.

PS2 - Fat. Disc read errors after a lot of use. Used a lot of copy CDs as above. Bought a slim sometime after the PS3 and still going strong.

Xbox - Still going strong. It does turn off by itself after gaming for a while though.

Xbox 360 - Had the OG and still have the slim. Like almost everyone, the OG RROD. Happened a year and few months later and had it replaced with a new one, which I traded in 3 months later for a DS.. The slim I bought much later though. Might be 2010 or 2012, can't remember. Still going strong.

PS3 - Have 2. Fat and slim. Both still going. The fat one had issues taking in discs a year ago so I opened it up and fixed the little pieces inside. All's good since.

Wii - 0 issues.

Wii U - Nothing. Nada. Zilch.

PS4 - Had 2. OG and Pro. My OG was spitting out discs after a few months. Tried a few solutions that didn't last. Replaced it with the Pro and had no issues with it.

Xbox One - Had the OG VCR, the S and the X. No issues whatsoever with any.

Switch - Have both non-OLED and OLED. Both doing great. Except the first joycons I got were bad. Thankfully fixed easily using that cardboard trick.

PS5 - Still doing great.

XSX - Still steaming ahead.

Jurassic Park Ian Malcom GIF

Alpha Male

4 brand new Xbox 360's RROD in 2006 thru 2009
The last one that I bought in 2009 lasted me 5 years until I gave it away and got the last E model

For reference, here are all the consoles I've had:

Atari
Colecovision
NES
Genesis/CD
3DO
PS1
N64
Dreamcast
PS2
Xbox
Xbox 360
PS3
PS4
Xbox One
PS Vita
PS4 Pro
Xbox One X
Switch/OLED
Xbox Series X
PS5

Foilz

Banned
Launch snes never turned on
Launch PS2 disc read issue
Launch Xbox 360 failed after 3 years
Launch PS4 failed after 1 hour
Launch PS5 had a bad HDMI port
Launch AMD Vega 64 DOA

**Rock Solid**
Turbo Grafx 16
Turbo Grafx 16 portable
PS1
Genesis
Series X
Switch
Dreamcast
Og Xbox
Coleco
Atari 2600
Sega master system
GameCube
N64
All gameboys

Last edited:

Korso

3 XBox 360s rrod. My 4rth 360 is still holding up tho. 1 launch ps3 yellow lighted on me 14 years later. I still have my launch dreamcast, ps2 and OG xbox with no issues. I have had a psp brick on me but that was due to me trying to jailbreak it.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
PS3 died. was original launch model which lasted about 5 years. tried repairing it and it lasted for a while but crapped out again.

PS4 (original) was dead within a week of delivery. Second PS4 (slim) the wi-fi/bluetooth was fucked so had to get that repaired.

not a console but my first RTX 2080 kept crashing/artifacting. was a common issue with those cards at launch. replacement has been going strong for nearly 4 years.

no issues with Xbox/Switch. owned a 360 (a slim model), xbox one og, xbox one s, series x. OG switch, 2019 switch, and currently OLED.

my PS2 is still going after about 20 years :messenger_beaming:

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
NES, I had to use a soda can top as the on button. Something about bridging connectors, I can barely remember what I did.

360, two or three. The NXE update caused a RRoD. Yeah, a system update, lol.

PS3, 1. Long sessions of TLoU and GTA V finally killed it, had it for 6 years ....it survived numerous drops to finally get killed by games.

Thats it.

Ownage

My PS4 Pro has been the worst POS console I've ever had.

Conversely, my PS3 fat 60 still works flawlessly today.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
None. Not for lack of use either, got particularly lucky with the Xbox 360 as that was my prime console gaming time period. Generally had insanely good luck on electronics. Had 1 TV whose power button stopped working but I googled it and called a number and the "Samsung TV guy" showed up like 2 days later w/ a part, changed it in a few minutes, and left w/o charging me lol

Cohetedor

Just my 60g PS3 ylod. Still have it, I've reflowed it multiple times now but it only lasts a month. Original Gameboy also had the lcd die, but that was my fault, stored in a garage in Michigan lcd screens weren't meant to be heated to 110 degrees in summer then frozen all winter for years.

Aenima

None of my machines completetly died, a few had some parts that needed to be repaired or replaced though.

Master System II - Controller stoped working after many years of abuse, never bothered to buy a new controller :D
OG Xbox - DVD drive refused to read some games after some years. Never bothered repairing it.
PS3 - HDD died in the 1st month, was in warranty so i sent it and got a new one.
PSP - The screen started showing an horizontal or vertical line after some years, repaired it myself by replacing the screen.

Jeeves

GameCube stopped reading discs after I accidentally touched the lens while cleaning. Wii had to be sent for repair when...I think it stopped reading discs too? I don't know why that one happened.

A launch ps2, launch 360(shit died on my birthday lol), and the second ps3 I got…the god of war one I think? Annnnnd the Xbox one that came bundled with Forza

Only controller I ever had break was one of those Xbox controller for windows pc(remember when they had it packaged a little diff than the standard 360 controller lol?) and i got it way back then, shit died in like 2019.

Lunarorbit

My original nes that I got in 1989 has been the only console that wore out on me. I say wore out cause I beat that thing and I don't blame it for breaking.

That's the only system I've owned that broke. My replacement nes that I bought from funcoland has worked for 25 years. I never use it anymore but it still lives.

Slighty off topic but I traded my friend ff2 back in middle school and when I went to my locker to get it for him I had spilled peach syrup from lunch all over the game. My buddy replaced the battery inside and it worked fine. I thought he was a fucking wizard cause I didn't understand what he did to fix it back then

TransTrender

Gold Member
Nothing from the NES onward until...

Launch PS2: Disc laser alignment stuff. Fixed it manually. Eventually controller ports and video ports started getting spotty after.
Launch PS3: OG Phatty died and RMA was a non-BC device so that was shitty.

8 bit Nes: had trouble starting games, infamous blinking screen.
Sega Genesis model 2 console: Rock solid console, no issues, kept it all the way till PSone came out.
PSone: Another rock solid console. The only thing that broke was the thing that hold the disc in place and spins it. I just fixed it with glue and lived with it.
PS2: Absolutely legendary reliability. Bought the console about a month after launch, kept and played it for roughly 7 years before I sold it.
Gamecube: Great console, didnt have it for very long, but no issues.
PS3: Had a launch console 60gb for about a 1 year and 3 months, then infamous ylod.
PS5: Had it about roughly 6 months now, still rock solid console.

Holammer

I've had a lot of consoles over the years, I only ever broke 2x PS1 and 2x PS2. By "broke" I mean worked to death.
Some machines saw little or no use at all, my GC is practically in mint condition.

iHaunter

2x 360s. Stopped buying them. PS3 still holding strong with my younger brother. Deamcast was given away so I'm not sure. PS2 hasn't been used in years, but is in my dad's summer house in Miami. haven't played it in years.

Last edited:

farmerboy

None so far. Consider myself lucky. Actually, I've only ever had 1 amp/reciever die on me out of all the consumer electronics I've owned. And that was after about 5 years of owning it.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I can't remember if I had 3 RROD's on the Xbox360 or 4

On my last Xbox360 I got tired of getting it fixed and started using the towel trick to get it to work for a few hours of gaming

I had two Xbox One disc drive's crap out

I had one PS4 disc drive crap out

I had one PS4 that was dead out of the box

Last edited:

reinking

Gold Member
I have owned most every console to date including having to import a few to the US. In that entire history not much has broken.

Atari 2600 -controllers were not great.
Playstation - eventually had to flip it upside down.
Playstation 4 -when I first got it home I had to push the metal bracket inside the HDMI to flatten it but it worked great after that.

I did have a MB go out on a PC if that counts.

I didn't even get the RRoD when that was going on....

Hashtag Blessed GIF

Meicyn

Gold Member
Three. One was a launch era PS3. The other two were both Xbox 360s.

That generation was a shitshow, at least in terms of hardware. The switch to unleaded solder was quite the gamechanger.

JLB

Banned
PS1 with the laser reader thing that was a given after a couple of years of usage.
Xbox 360, though probably was due to a power cut because when it got broken other electronic devices got burned as well.

Dane

PSone - suddenly stopped turning on after 10+ years, i think a capacitor died on it and never opened it, bought a PS1 Fat that works well.
PS2 Slim - replaced the reader twice, I just bought a Fat with HDD because nowadays most PS2s in my country have dead disc reader and this Fat appeared as an opportunity to use the hard drive, never had this issue with both PS1 I have.
Gamecube - GPU/CPU died suddenly, but the console was opened to make the region switch hack and back in the day I knew shit about soldering so imagine multiple times and going on, went well for years and probably the fact I never replaced the thermal pad could be the cause, sold it.
Sega Saturn - No image, saw it was capacitor related, so I decided to finally learn properly how to solder in a junk PS2 I had for part replacement, process went well on my Saturn
PS3 - Always felt that the games were taking too damn long to install and load but barely played it, decided to use it again and realized that the HDD was screwed, replaced it and works like a charm.
Xbox 360 Slim XDK - It died out on me after few days or hours, was complete wtf, reballed it. My Fat RGH never died on me after 10+ years, I think its actually considered the most reliable model contrary to the mainstream consensus.

Last edited:

JayK47

The only console that ever failed for me, and I have been gaming since the Atari 2600, is the damn Xbox 360. I waited for a long time before buying one hoping they would fix the issue before I bought one. And about a year after buying it, the red ring happened. By then, they had the process down for repair and I was back to gaming in 2 to 3 weeks. It has been working since. I am assuming they learned their lesson since I have not heard about any issues with Xbox Ones or Series.

8 PSones
1 Sega Saturn
6 XBOX 360’s
1 original XBOX
4 PS3’s

Thankfully, I was able to trade in most of my defective consoles especially the older ones when they had issues, but it was still annoying having to deal with. The disc drives kept breaking on the PSOnes for some reason and yes, I was gentle on them. RROD on the XBOX 360’s. YLOD on the fat PS3’s and disc drive stops working in the Slim PS4’s. Saturn disc drive broke after 5 years. Original XBOX disc drive started scratching my discs.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Not many, I’ve owned 2 or 3 consoles every gen since the Atari 2600.

The only ones they have failed were
1 ps
1 360
1 ps3

Beechos

Only 2 xbox 360 rrod and stuck disc drive and ps3 ylod. Been playing and owned most systems since the nes days. I guess also the nes, the spring mechanism that held the cartrdige down broke and i had to put another cartridge on top of it to hold it down.

Last edited:
Only complete loss of a console was the original launch PS3. I'd be curious to see what percentage of the population have had that model die with YLOD, must be pushing 50%. I had two (one I owned from launch, one from eBay) and the non-eBay was the one to die - surprisingly, since I took exquisite care of it in an open-air setting. I guess you can't prevent design flaws from surfacing.

My GameCube lasted from 2002-2016 when I sold it for a pretty penny on eBay in a bundle.

I just got out a backup Wii sitting my closet last week and accidentally dropped it off a dresser (5 foot drop onto a wood floor). Hooked it up, no issues, still reads game discs and everything!

So 1 of my 2 OG PS3s failed. Otherwise, I still have these consoles that are working great:

GameBoy SP
GameBoy Advance
Nintendo DS Lite
New Nintendo 3DS XL

PS3 (launch w/ PS2 BC)
PS3 (slim, primary Blu-Ray player)
Wii (primary)
Wii (backup)
Wii U (2013 launch model - now modded and used for all Wii and GameCube games)
Switch (2nd revision model, replaced my now-sold first revision)

Sojiro

I have had many consoles in my life: NES, OG Gameboy, SNES, Genesis, PS1, Game Boy Advance, N64, Game.com, PS2, Dreamcast, DS, Wii, Wii U, 3DS, GameCube, Switch.

I have had issues with only three consoles that I have ever owned, PS1, PS2, and Switch.

PS1 was an original launch unit that, like a lot of OG units, would overheat and slowly warp the lens, which eventually led to it being unable to read discs all together. Thankfully by the time that happened, the PS2 was out so I could play my games there. I regrettably threw the unit away, even though it didn't work, I would have liked to keep it out of nostalgia, and possibly try to repair it now as an adult.

PS2 was also a launch unit, got it about 3 months after release so it was the phat model. After the first year of using it, it started leaving perfect circular scratches on my discs, and I didn't even use it standing up, I only had it horizontal since I never trusted the stand lol. It had just fallen out of warranty by a couple months, so I had to eat the $150 ish repair cost out of pocket that Sony charged 😞. I still have my phat OG unit, but it is really picky on what discs it wants to read these days, I need to replace the disc drive on it someday. I did pick up a slim unit 5 or so years ago off eBay so I could still play my games.

On the Switch, I of course have had Joycon issues like nearly everyone who has a Switch seems to to get. But another issue I had, was it seemed like the fan blades were knicking something when they started really blowing, and it was making a very loud noise that made it hard to hear over a game, even on the TV. Thankfully it was still under warranty though, so I only had to pay for shipping IIRC.

Literally 1. The red special edition Wii, which still had GC back compat.

Bought it sealed a few years ago, and i started hearing popping sounds in the audio. Basically games were playable but I couldn't concentrate. It really sucked :/ but I have another one.

sadmaker

OG Xbox= terrible Thomson disc drive that got worse and worse, then finally stopped reading dics.

Xbox 360=RROD

Top Bottom