• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How many consoles have you owned that had hardware failure?

MrA

Banned
I collect old console so I've had. Fixed them if possible
8 2600s bad tia or 6507 8 bad made 4 good
2 bad 5200s, a single flipflop later good again
3 bad colecos (usually ram)
1 Commodore 64sx (bad pla)
7 bad astrocades this system either is fine or it was overheated if you ever get one do not put it on a carpet elevate it off the ground an inch and it will be fine, the graphics chip fries can't do an thing about it
1 channel f ram
2 rca studio 2s trace failures which isn't a big deal on the studio 2
4 apf m1000s all ram issues(this system is great to repair as every chip os off the shelf, cheap and socketed)
1 Arcadia 2001 bad inductor
2 jags, 1 jag cd
2 snes (both left somewhere really humid. Tons of corrosion
1 genesis same
6 32x 5 easily repaired usually a pair of ribbon cables comes lose
1 gameboy screen failure
Many gamegears all just needed recapping
3 tg express recaps ho!
1 pc engine duo recapped save
1 vita screen cracked
2 megaducks bad screens

hinch7

Been kinda lucky,. in that I've not experienced or had any console die on me.

However, did have a rather loud PS3 (40GB). After a few years it started to sound like a jet engine. Never did get YLOD but traded it in to my local pawn shop before any major failure.

Last edited:
OG ps2 a couple of days before gta:sa release.
If I remember correctly the ps2 slim was pretty new so we bought the bundle with the game a couple of days later spending every cent we had with my brother.
Good times.

nkarafo

I had consoles for 30 years. Never had one die on me except one: The XBOX 360.

Edit: This could be some kind of poll with many choices to determine which console is the weakest, after the 360 ofc, and which one is the toughest.

Last edited:

Rippa

I had to have the original PS1 sent in for repairs once.

Between myself and my brothers 360’s (same house) 7 total coffins. (My 3 to his 4)

spookyfish

Easier to say what consoles I have NOT owned: 3DO, Neo Geo and any NEC consoles.

That said, my OG Xbox had a disc drive failure, and my launch Wii had the graphics card failure. Both were repaired free of charge YEARS after the warranty had expired.

My launch PS3 60G Phat is still going.

EDIT: I kept “updating” (buying) any special edition 360, so those changed a lot. That’s why no failures there.

Last edited:

Andeck Vee

Neo Member
Atari 2600 died on me, I think my brother gave it a drink so won't blame the hardware and we were young
Dreamcast with a bad drive but I replaced the laser myself and got it working
2 xbox 360s rrod
Ps4 that simply died

Jorav

Zero for me but i've only had the OG X360, the Slim, PS4, PS5, Xbox One Slim, One X, Series X and Switch. Consoles don't get run too hard so maybe that's why i've had no dramas with them.

A2una1

Have been around since master system II times. My only failing console so far was my PS4 Pro. The bluray drive died just a month out of warranty.

I wasn't able to get a replacement drive to a friend during that time so I buyed a new ps4 pro. Got a drive sometime later and fixed it.
Gave the 2nd ps4 pro time during covid, since he was bored and wanted to build a new PC which was impossible at that time..

Last edited:

Impotaku

Only ever had one console break and it was a DS lite and even that still worked it's just the hinge snapped as i used that thing every single day thousands of hours of gametime on it. Apart from that nothing else had crapped out even my arcade X360 is chugging away.

ZoukGalaxy

Only the original Xbox 360 failed "live" for me.

Then, after a long time in the attic despite being in its original box, my SNES had a corrupted video output (displaying corrupted blocks of pixels while everything else still working), I had to buy a new one.

Same story for my original GameBoy, after years of no use, no more sound are outputing, I bought a glorious backlighted modded GBA to replace it.

That's it, everything else are still working like my 30+ years NES, even my older, relatively unknown, Atari XE.

Last edited:

NewYork214

Like 4 360s

And my launch ps3 died like 3 years in and fuckers sent me a replacement that wasn't backwards compatible

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Not too many. I mean obviously my 360 RROD'd, and I think my power jack loosened on some old handhelds like the Atari Lynx. And most recently I had a PS4 Pro blow out on me. And I lost switch controllers to joycon drift and things like that.

Last edited:

Dorago

Partial failure:
NES: both the cartridge slot and the controllers.
Playtsation 1: overheating and freezing during cutscenes, not loading game during power up every time.
DS: Scratched my bottom screen beating Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword

Total failure:
Gamecube: laser module failure - couldn't load any game.
PSP 2000: white switch failure resulting in constant power cycling. I got a replacement used one and the LCD panel failed staying half black no matter what.
PS3 160GB version: complete hard drive failure.
PS4 blue controller: stick drift on new controller after 3 months. Pack in controller still working fine as are my PS3 controllers from 2008.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I lost 2 360s to RROD and think I just lost my launch day Series X

About 1/4 of my screen just turned green

Tried rebooting the X and still green

Switched HDMI cables and slot on the monitor but still green even though the PS5 and PC are fine.

Switched it to my TV and still green

I guess the GPU is fucked

Had to replace my PSOne because It started stuttering while FMWs. My PS2 frozen while playing GTA III. Had to unplug It and It went never on again.

PS3 launch model had YLOD.

Last edited:
2 360s, 1 ps2, and 2 ps4s. The 360s were the infamous rrod, the ps2 stopped reading dvds (but still read cds), and the ps4s had hard drive failures.

jm89

1 Sega megadrive

Wouldn't detect any of my catridges.

Wasn't mad, was an excuse to convince my dad to get a ps1.

Moses85

16 x X360s

julia louis dreyfus do not want GIF

DS Lite - Completely broken

3DS - Screens got split apart which started from a crack beneath the right bumper.

PS3 - Yellow light of death

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
about 5 elite v2 controllers (gave up got refunded)
5 dualshocks 4
2 dualshock 3's
every fucking nintendo joycon controller i ever got.
i have about 10 snes gamepads that still work
7 gamecube controllers

Patrick S.

Banned
One of my Xbox 360s had the RROD. I installed an X-Clamp and that fixed it. I have another Xbox 360 that probaly has a faulty GPU, because after some time the image gets greenish and has some artefacts.

I should toss those consoles in the bin, because honestly, why would I ever want to play on a 360 again. The only physical 360 game I still have that isn't backwards compatible, Chronicles of Riddick, has been in my GOG library for ages.

Last edited:

iclash

All of my 7th gen hardware failed eventually. My white Xbox 360 pro RROD, then after getting it swapped with MS the Hdisk died. This prompted me to get the red GOW Xbox 360 slim which is still running today. My 80gb software BC PS3 (the one that came with MGS4) died one day, but I could tell there were issues as I'd see graphical glitches in some games leading up to the YOD. I replaced it with a PS3 super slim that is still running today. My og white Wii also had drive failure. I swapped out the DVD drive with a part from ebay and it's still running today. I became the guy in the neighborhood that will fix your console. People brought mostly Wiis and 360s to me. I was able to fix every Wii, but not every 360. The 7th gen seems to be the least reliable hardware wise. I blame it on early iterations of lead-free solder and cheap capacitors, same mindset went into the design of these consoles.

SSfox

PS1 and PS2 laser disks (launch models sucks hard in that area)

Sold my Xbox 360 (2008 edition) when i felt it was gonna die.

Bough a launch PS3 for BC, just took it back right after when i realize how noisy it was without even playing a game.

Last edited:

Connxtion

Falcon Xbox 360 after 2 years. MS replaced it no questions asked.

PS3 Slim (original) 1 year and the firmware that was meant to unbrick semi bricked consoles (yeah remember that fiasco, hacked then bricked millions of consoles 🙈🙄) bricked my console sigh 😡, was told by Sony £120 and my PS3 to get a replacement even though I recorded the process bricking my console. Oh and I would lose all my saves.
(I tried everything, nand was corrupted, would get to 55% or there about and just hang, new HDD done nothing)

Bint the console and refuse to buy another PlayStation console. Support from Sony is shite to say the least.

HYDE

Banned
XBOX 360, ONE, Series X. I won’t buy another Microshit console again. All my Japanese hardware is all still working, and has been since 1985.

Mr Hyde

Three.

The first one was the original Playstation that I bought on release. It only lasted six months before it stopped reading discs. Sent it back to Sony support and got a new one. It still works to this day modded and ready to use (haven't been plugged in for a couple of years now so might as well be dead).

The second one was the PS2. Same issue again with reading discs. Both game discs and DVD's were unreadable after a couple of years use. Bought a slim instead which I still got and is still functional.

The third one was my PS3. Got the infamous Ylod and replaced it with a slim, which, you guessed it, still got at home (which I do have plugged in and still playing to this day).

Thebonehead

Banned
PS1 - used to have to run it upside down for it to read the discs.

PS3 - YLOD

360 - RROD

PS4 - PSU, then laser failure.

X1X - overheating

Wii - graphics glitch.

Switch - died
PS5 died a month or so back. Beeped on then powered straight off.

Lucky just under a year old so replaced with new

Rossco EZ

I lost 2 360s to RROD and think I just lost my launch day Series X

About 1/4 of my screen just turned green

Tried rebooting the X and still green

Switched HDMI cables and slot on the monitor but still green even though the PS5 and PC are fine.

Switched it to my TV and still green

I guess the GPU is fucked
did it just straight up do that or was there any issues before?

Let's see, I've lost two gamecubes with disc read errors, a 360 with rrod, and a ps4 pro with a faulty wifi card. Overall I've been pretty lucky since I've bought a ton of systems with only a few bad apples.

Crayon

Of the over thirty consoles and handheld I've owned, 2/3 Dreamcasts and a ps1. Also almost no controller failures and save batteries across many games that have lasted conspicuously long. I'm blessed.

Neff

I've owned just about every Nintendo/Sega/Sony/Microsoft piece of gaming hardware since the late '80s (with the exception of the Vita and the original Xbox) and the only systems to crap out on me were-

PS1
PS2
x2 PS3s
Saturn
x2 Dreamcasts

Top Bottom