• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How many copies will Metroid Dread sell?

How many copies will Metroid Dread sell?

• Total voters

Marty-McFly

Banned
The best Metroid has ever sold was 3 million (Prime 1).

I'm looking at 4-10 million lifetime sales which is massive for the 2D franchise.

I think Prime 4 can do over 10 million

Currently Dread is more preordered than Pokemon or Mario Party at Gamestop

No.Game
1.Metroid Dread
2.Pokemon Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl Double Pack
3.Mario Party Superstars
4.Pokemon Legends: Arceus
5.Shin Megami Tensei 5
6.Pokemon Brilliant Diamond
7.WarioWare: Get it Together!
8.Doki Doki Literature Club Plus
9.Sonic Colors: Ultimate
10.Advance Wars 1+2: Re-Boot Camp

Last edited:

tommib

Sorry pal, it’s not a dig and you may well be right considering Animal Crossing has sold 32 million copies. I just personally think it’s be hard for Metroid to gain as much traction as something like Monster Hunter Rise.
And you’re probably right but 1st party titles are all around 40 million. Hard to predict how this is going to sell.

Vagswarm

Some people are going to vote the crazy high numbers just to do it. I wouldn't even allow anything higher than 15 million.

I say 3 million.

Last edited:

GrayFoxPL

46 copies.

I Bet Snoop Dogg GIF by chuber channel

KungFucius

King Snowflake
3 million. Maybe more if it goes on discount and switch is still a major platform for 3 or more years or if switch games still get sold for Switch 2 due to BW compatibility.

Robb

Gold Member
I went with 4M, might be a bit too optimistic though. Metroid usually don't sell all that great.

Buggy Loop

I went with 6M. The starving effect this year, the long wait on dread and the switch effect should make this one break the franchise’s record.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Why does your poll stop at 33-35 million?
It’s been constructed off of what I’ve seen with certain games for the Nintendo Switch

For instance, I know that Mario Kart 8 Deluxe has sold about 37 million copies. Animal Crossing: New Horizons has sold around 34 million copies. If you look at The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, it’s sold 22.28 million copies and that’s more what I based my guess off of, among other reasons. It’s highly doubtful the game sells 35 million copies but who would have guessed Animal Crossing would have sold what it did? I put the limit at 35 mil to give this game the benefit of the doubt just in case something unthinkable happens with its sales

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
3-6 million

I am pretty sure that the Switch will boost the sales. It's also releasing at the perfect time when looking at how many indie hits are inspired by 2D Metroid.
It's very likely that Dread is going to be the series's best seller until Prime 4.

Griffon

I expect it somewhere between Super Metroid and Metroid Fusion. Less or barely one million. And I'm optimistic.

I don't think Samus Returns crossed the million line either.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
its basically a 2D metroid but its not on a secondary hand held this time so I would say 1 million.

OneMoreDay

Neo Member
It's a good question. There's not much competition on the Switch when it launches, and Metroid does have a hardcore fanbase. I feel like 2 mill is guaranteed, but it might do better if it's a hit among today's youngsters and teens.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
It only has to sell 3 million to be a "success" since Metroid has always been a niche series. Since it actually continues the narrative and actually has marketing push I want to believe the game will do decently by not only drawing in a new audience but also make a lot of fans happy that stuck with the franchise since it's inception.

The best selling Metroid was Prime 1 and sales plummeted with each entry.

For 20 years the Metroid saga we've had nothing but "manga filler" content and it will rather be exciting to get the final chapter in the "Metroid" story arc.

I just hope that Mercurysteam doesn't go heavy on cinematics so it doesn't break the flow of gameplay.

Thus far most of the cinematics are short and sweet. So it remains promising.

Jeeves

I'm being what I think is slightly optimistic and saying 5 mil. I think it'll easily do 3 and anyone saying less than that is trolling or out of their mind.

Needlecrash

Since this is Metroid 5, I expect copies to fly off the shelf. We haven't had a mainline Metroid game since Fusion (4) in 2002. Hell, even the special editions are hard to come by now.

Ailike

Yeesh. Some people need to step outside their own fandom bubble and consider context and history before making predictions. While -you- may be thirsty for a new Metroid (I get it, I do), the mainstream Nintendo crowd has been pretty cool on it, as evidenced by that 4 million Prime figure. And that was Prime. I think many fans might feel burned by Other M to jump right in with fervor too. It'd be nice if I'm wrong and its a great game with a good showing, which would be a great bellwether, but let's be objective.

graywolf323

Gold Member
I normally love polls but this overkill in options :messenger_squinting_tongue: give more ranges

I guess around 5 million? everything seems to be punching above it's previous weight class on Switch so far so I wouldn't be surprised to see Dread end up the best selling Metroid (at least until Prime 4)

Top Bottom