• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How many copies will Metroid Dread sell?

How many copies will Metroid Dread sell?

• Total voters

ParaSeoul

Will outsell Demon’s Souls
Relatively niche game on a console less than a year old vs the long awaited entry of a long running series on a console at the end of its life,must be confident huh?
hmmm GIF

So we are going to ignore games like Xenoblade, Fire Emblem, Mario +Rabbits Astral Chain, Bayonetta, Bravely Default 2, and upcoming games like Shin Megami Tensei 5 and Triangle Strategy?

I own both PS5 and Switch and safety day I’m playing more on my Switch than PS5.
I am not talking about the whole Switch library. I am just talking about what is coming out this holiday. The only two big hitters are Metroid and Pokemon. All those games you listed don't sell that well to main stream Nintendo fans. I said 5 million, which is really really good for this franchise.

Kabelly

All these Nintendo games have been breaking sales records because it has been a long time since people have gotten to play Nintendo games. The Wii U was a joke console that most people skipped. So if you have been waiting for Metroid since Wii, you are going to buy anything at this point. Also, there is nothing to play on Switch besides a weird remake of an old Pokemon game, so I think a lot of people will buy it just to have something to play while they are at their folks place for the holidays.

Might hit 5 million.
1. Yes I don't think I've bought a first party Ninty game since Animal Crossing.
2. i do love metroid and i've been waiting a long time

so i think this release will do just fine. samus being a loser is a meme and memes sell.

Just enough to be considered a moderate success by traditional standards, but not by Nintendo so they'll inevitably drag their feet to make any sort of sequel.

KellyNole

So far the highest-selling Metroid game sits just under 3 million. Dread will surpass it and sell just under double the best-selling Metroid game. Roughly over 5 million. Software still sells like crazy on the switch and the userbase isn't dying like the Wii did this far into the console cycle. Still, as others have said, it is a niche title, so it won't hit close to some of the other top-selling franchises.

With that said, I am a simple man. I see a Metroid game, I buy it.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Mat Piscatella, an analyst at NPD Group, said he would consider Metroid Dread a success if it sold more than 5 million copies but that he wouldn’t be shocked if that were surpassed. “We’ve seen a number of franchises see sales well above historical benchmarks on Switch,” he said. “Maybe Dread will be able to elevate Metroid into that tier. I’m not expecting that, but it could happen. It’s 2021, I expect the unexpected.”

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...etroid-dread-is-primed-to-be-breakout-success

After playing Metroid Dread, I can see sales soaring past 5 million copies. It really depends on a bunch of factors but overall, Metroid Dread is a massive success. If the sales are to show any indication of just how great the game is, then it should probably hit 10 million plus copies sold over the years

CGiRanger

Banned
Mat Piscatella, an analyst at NPD Group, said he would consider Metroid Dread a success if it sold more than 5 million copies but that he wouldn’t be shocked if that were surpassed. “We’ve seen a number of franchises see sales well above historical benchmarks on Switch,” he said. “Maybe Dread will be able to elevate Metroid into that tier. I’m not expecting that, but it could happen. It’s 2021, I expect the unexpected.”

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...etroid-dread-is-primed-to-be-breakout-success

After playing Metroid Dread, I can see sales soaring past 5 million copies. It really depends on a bunch of factors but overall, Metroid Dread is a massive success. If the sales are to show any indication of just how great the game is, then it should probably hit 10 million plus copies sold over the years
Um wow. that's like a super over-performance. I do wonder how he got this estimate when going off of the previous sales of the franchise? Since iirc, the best-selling game of the series was Metroid Prime at just over 2.8 Million sold (with the original just behind at 2.7 million) and no game since has gotten close with over a million sold being acceptable.

That would be an overwhelming success like beyond expectations to go over 5 million.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Um wow. that's like a super over-performance. I do wonder how he got this estimate when going off of the previous sales of the franchise? Since iirc, the best-selling game of the series was Metroid Prime at just over 2.8 Million sold (with the original just behind at 2.7 million) and no game since has gotten close with over a million sold being acceptable.

That would be an overwhelming success like beyond expectations to go over 5 million.
I’m not sure how he came to his estimate, but 5 million is not an unreasonable number to hit. Not in this climate where video games are a more prevalent form of entertainment than ever before

The only thing is that Metroid Dread is rated T for Teen so it’ll be interesting to see what happens with its sales in that regard. But idk, a lot us used to play rated T games before we reached out teens. Kids are playing Fortnite and COD, and Halo at like age 5 these days

Celcius

°Temp. member
I think the game will sell a lot but a lot of it will be post-launch sales... for example, I'll buy it once I can actually get my hands on an oled Switch (don't own a Switch yet).

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
I have no idea so i voted 10million.

Big switch games sell a lot, so i thought this probably wont do as well as the heavy hitters like mario + zelda, but will still do very well.

ReBurn

Gold Member

Its interesting that this analyst will consider it a success if it hits 5 million. I wonder what the number is for Nintendo to consider it a success?

carlosrox

Banned
There's no way 5 million wouldn't be a big success for Dread. I could see it doing 5 or 6 when all is said and done. I'd be shocked and excited to see it do 5.

Apparently it's doing very well on different charts. It must have a solid word of mouth. Every single person I've seen talk about it has gushed about it, even more than critics.

It should get to 5.

CitizenZ

Banned
Over hyped Nintendo named game still wont outsell 3 sweaty dudes who made the most played game this yr with zero.zero marketing. Thats just a fact you cant, as usual, comprehend.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Anything between 3 and 5 million for a Metroid side scrolling game would be effing great numbers.
it’s an amazing game so I expect it will do well.

Kabelly

I'm gonna say around 1-2mil, The advertising hasn't been all over the place like Mario or Zelda were. Don't think a lot of the normie folks know what the heck a metroid is.
ive seen more metroid marketing here than i have ever seen in my life. ads in insta, ads in real life, nintendo constantly twetting about it prior to release. maybe im just a metroid fan but i def see the push theyve given this game

I say 6 million due to the healthy Switch install base, the marketing, digital sales, and the fact that times have changed. My friend's 12 year old asked for it and got it. How did he even know what it was? Oh yeah, eShop exposure, YouTube ads. My friend says his son is kinda too scared to play it though lol.

I'm optimistic this round.

carlosrox

Banned
My friend says his son is kinda too scared to play it though lol.

He hasn't started it or he's scared to progress?

I could see the game being a bit scary and intimidating for a kid for sure.

I wouldnt say I was scared but when I played Super when I was 8 it had some creepiness to it like the Chozo Statue thing, the music, Crocomire, Phantoon, etc. Dread has some stuff in it that could be seen as creepy as well.

Last edited:

Jeeves

I wouldnt say I was scared but when I played Super when I was 8 it had some creepiness to it like the Chozo Statue thing, the music, Crocomire, Phantoon, etc. Dread has some stuff in it that could be seen as creepy as well.
When I was 6 I was initially nervous to enter Big Boo's Haunt in Mario 64. I could definitely see a young kid wanting someone else to play EMMI sections for them or something.

daveonezero

Banned

Uh ya I get stressed at the EMMI sections. I could see it being scary. That is what they are going for.

you are pretty helpless and have to run.

I’ve died a bunch and just started playing.

He's playing it. He just gets nerve racked lol.

carlosrox

Banned
Edit: Oops this should be in the OT but I meant it as a reply to S Sid Of Bee

The EMMI theme is awesome.

Perfect sounds of distress. Sounds like a broken down and malfunctioning machine/a siren. Cold and calculating.

Love this theme.

Last edited:

Cutty Flam

Banned
Wonder how much the big dog has sold to date?

Only Japan gives concrete numbers of their sales through Famitsu each week. The rest is probably a quarterly thing for overall sales worldwide?

Shaqazooloo

Wonder how much the big dog has sold to date?

Only Japan gives concrete numbers of their sales through Famitsu each week. The rest is probably a quarterly thing for overall sales worldwide?
If we're lucky Nintendo might comment on its sales during their financial/sales report this week but most likely we won't know how much it sold until the one after this in early 2022

CGiRanger

Banned
If we're lucky Nintendo might comment on its sales during their financial/sales report this week but most likely we won't know how much it sold until the one after this in early 2022
Unless I missed it, I guess they didn't say anything about Metroid sales in the report?

Guess we'll have to wait until next year to hear anything then.

Astral Dog

People saying more than 1 million are mental, have you people seen the sales of previous Metroids? This franchise is very niche and only really attracts a core audience.
Actually, alot of Metroids have sold more than 1 million:pPrime Hunters, Prime1, Prime2,Prime3, Metroid, Metroid 2 Return of Samus, Super Metroid.. The GBA games also did pretty well on their own and made good money, although the exact numbers are unknown.

Dread surely will pass 2 millions

Metroid has a passionate fanbase that buys it, thats why despite not coming on top at sales charts, Nintendo keeps coming back and publishing games

Last edited:
Top Bottom