• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How many more years into the future are Nintendo fans happy to go without a hardware update?

How many more years into the future are Nintendo fans happy to go without a hardware update?

• 1-2 years

Votes: 73 41.5%
  • 3-5 years

Votes: 51 29.0%
  • 5+ years

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I dinnae own a Switch.

Votes: 25 14.2%

• Total voters

Tschumi

NOTE: Pro = hardware update, in my philosophy.

Just written in response to the commendable thread on exciting releases for Switch in 2022. My stance is this:

Switch is fantastic. It gets heaps of things so right, practically everybody loves it and rightly so, it's the most successful console OAT or will soon be, I'm not challenging any of that.

Switch has defied the trend of console hardware wars and happily exists in a world of limited graphical power exchanged for polished gameplay. To be simplistic about it.

Switch fans are presumably at peace with this.

THAT CONSIDERED, i ask my poll question...

Last edited:

Kacho

Gold Member
I assume you mean Switch 2? I’d be ok with no Switch 2 for 3-5 years if we get a Pro model very soon. Otherwise 1-2 years.

fart town usa

Gold Member
It could go on until the end of time for all I care. As long as it has good games, who cares about graphics.

That being said, I don't even like the Switch.

edit- this comes off as snarky. Main reason I don't like the Switch is due to the controller. I totally recognize that it has a boat load of great games.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Don‘t care. I just want good games. Graphics and power have clearly shown they don‘t mean much. I would rather have a game that looks like DUSK with its endless replayability, fantastic level design, and brilliant controls over something like Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart that is all graphics and no depth.

blacktout

I assume you mean Switch 2? I’d be ok with no Switch 2 for 3-5 years if we get a Pro model very soon. Otherwise 1-2 years.
I voted "1-2 years," but this is my actual answer. If we get a pro model that's better equipped to handle PS4 era ports this year or next, I can wait for a true successor, but going past the end of 2023 with no performance upgrade at all is going to be rough.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Where is the option for "less than a year"?

I'm a Nintendo fan I would say (I can never miss a mainline Mario or Zelda), but I really don't want to buy any more games for this outdated thing. It's absolutely dreadful on a 4K TV, especially when you've got a PS5 right next to it. I want a Switch 2 this year.

Last edited:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
i purchased my Switch gen 2 when Animal Crossing launch, so I am fine not having any hardware update in the near future. Maybe 2 to 3 years later?

Last edited:

KAL2006

Banned
March 2025 is when I think we will see a Switch 2. They can ride this out another 3 years. We already have a packed 2022 for Switch. For 2023/2024 there is so much more potential, Mario Kart 9? Xenoblade 3? New Pokémon Generation? Metroid Prime 4? 3D Mario sequel? Mario Soccer? New 2D Zelda? 2D Mario, Pikmin 4? We still haven't even got every Wii U port yet they can easily port Yoshi's Wooly World, Paper Mario and Xenoblade X. All the games I mentioned can keep the Switch 2 going for 3 years. And looking at 3rd party indie games the graphics don't still seem to be pushed with indie games so we can still get the next Hollow Knight or whatever the new big indie darling is.

Another thing to mention Switch hasn't even got a decent price cut yet, imagine when regular Switch (not Lite) hits £150 with a game bundled it would continue to do even more numbers.

Robb

Gold Member
I voted 1-2 years, but I can see Nintendo going longer given how well it’s selling still. I’d like an upgrade sooner rather than later though.

TransTrender

Gold Member
The best thing I like about my Switch is my portability.
I'm also not a colossal pixel whore so I don't complain...too much...when playing games docked.
Until there's something that can replicate the portable experience, and the Steam UpperDecker isn't going to do it, then I can wait.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Angry Arms Crossed GIF by Kevin Hart's Laugh Out Loud

Dream-Knife

Banned
3-5. Power is irrelevant with Nintendo titles really. Look at AAA gaming today, broken games that aren't very fun.

My only issue is Nintendo is still taking forever to release games with only 1 system and Gen 7 graphics.

V4skunk

Banned
I've had my Switch since launch (5years in March) and we 100% need a next gen Switch with in 18 months.

Last edited:

brian0057

Banned
As long as the games are good (which they most certainly are), the Switch can last as long as the PS2 for all I care.

I think we have a few more years before new hardware.

However as someone who is finally getting around to actually playing BOTW (it never clicked with me, and was basically RE4 all over again for me and I didn't want to play it), it's an amazing game hampered by performance issues. That game is gorgeous but places like the lost woods drop to the teens and are barely playable. Graphics and power may not be everything but would sure make some great games even better.

That being said, I'm sure Nintendo diehards won't care because they will take anything Nintendo gives them.

Last edited:

Hoddi

It's still less than 5 years old and selling boatloads. I'm not expecting the next-gen system until two years from now at the earliest.

If they do release a Pro version then it would probably happen this year. And that would extend the generation another year or two.

The Switch came out in 2017 so it's almost 5 years old. I like systems to be replaced after 5 to 7 years. By then the platform starts to show its age, and the Switch is no different. Nintendo can make weak hardware work for them, but the limitations become obvious as time goes on (and they were noticeable from the start here).

Nintendo likely wants to extend the Switch's lifespan as much as possible though. The Switch is selling great, and so is its software. There's no incentive for them to abandon this huge customer base by introducing a next-gen console. There's no indications of that happening anytime soon either. It's likely we won't see a successor for at least 3 years.

I could see a Switch Pro coming out this or next year to prolong the platform's life. I'm not excited for it anymore. They took too long, and the improvements probably won't be worth it. I'd much rather save my money and wait for a proper new system at this point.

I don’t typically want newer generations of hardware too soon, but the Switch launched in a weird place right when mobile GPUs started getting powerful. They didn’t want to be forced into a new gen mid cycle but the Wii-U flopped too hard. Really think this needs to happen within the next year and a half unless Nintendo wants to find out what happens when they are a generation behind for all games in the works.

FStubbs

Switch and PC, that's the way to go. PC when I want graphics, Switch for when I want fun and party games. Bring out its successor whenever it's ready.
The Switch came out in 2017 so it's almost 5 years old. I like systems to be replaced after 5 to 7 years. By then the platform starts to show its age, and the Switch is no different. Nintendo can make weak hardware work for them, but the limitations become obvious as time goes on (and they were noticeable from the start here).

Nintendo likely wants to extend the Switch's lifespan as much as possible though. The Switch is selling great, and so is its software. There's no incentive for them to abandon this huge customer base by introducing a next-gen console. There's no indications of that happening anytime soon either. It's likely we won't see a successor for at least 3 years.

I could see a Switch Pro coming out this or next year to prolong the platform's life. I'm not excited for it anymore. They took too long, and the improvements probably won't be worth it. I'd much rather save my money and wait for a proper new system at this point.
I think any Switch revision would be along the lines of the OLED at this point. I don't think "Switch Pro" is happening with the current sales of the Switch and the current chip market.

That being said, Kirby is coming out soon so the Switch is in the latter part of its lifecycle and I think its successor will be late 2023-early 2024.

I’d be fine if they could just maintain a 60 fps standard for all of their first party games. It’s a bummer to hear that something like Kirby is 30 fps, blech. Graphically everything is fine by me, it’s just the performance that disappoints. Don’t care about 3rd party ports.

daclynk

There are still so much juice in the switch, hoping to see some of my classics make it(sob sob Golden Sun). So i can wait till 4 more yrs. Game like Doom, Hades and other more shows so much can still be done with the hardware. Switch still has many untapped potential with its features. just look at Ring Fit Adventure and Labo.

Shifty1897

A Pro model with a 1080P OLED screen, overclocked CPU/GPU, and a bigger battery is all I need. Sell it to me for $399 this year Ninty.

bender

What time is it?
Since Nintendo is conservative with horsepower in their hardware, the longer we wait, the more beneficial it is for the potential of 3rd party titles aimed at PS5/XSX. And as long as the Switch is selling, I'd be shocked if we saw something new in the next two years. That would (hopefully) have the knock on effect of clearing the brunt of global manufacturing shortages.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
As a handheld its still powerful for a handheld.

However I would like an upgrade because the lower image quality is noticeable on a big 4k TV.

Fredrik

I was never happy about the power but there is no alternative so what can you do? They’re still making the best games though and that’s what matters. Last year’s GOTY Metroid Dread showed that no raytracing or pixar visuals can truly compete with a well-made Nintendo game.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Good games trump MOAR GRAPHFVICKXSZ every time. Nintendo makes good games, they'll be fine for several more years.

I would like to see a return of 3D games. The 3D effects of games on the 3DS really added to the sense of immersion, and recently playing Breath of the Wild I felt like 3D effects would have really enhanced some of the temples. Can 3D effects be done without glasses on a screen the size of the Switch now? If so, I'd like Nintendo to bring 3D back.

Last edited:

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Since Nintendo is conservative with horsepower in their hardware, the longer we wait, the more beneficial it is for the potential of 3rd party titles aimed at PS5/XSX. And as long as the Switch is selling, I'd be shocked if we saw something new in the next two years. That would (hopefully) have the knock on effect of clearing the brunt of global manufacturing shortages.
Chip shortages aren't going anywhere. Everything else might catch up, but chips are fucked for at least 3-5 years.

supernova8

Banned
I think we have a few more years before new hardware.

However as someone who is finally getting around to actually playing BOTW (it never clicked with me, and was basically RE4 all over again for me and I didn't want to play it), it's an amazing game hampered by performance issues. That game is gorgeous but places like the lost woods drop to the teens and are barely playable. Graphics and power may not be everything but would sure make some great games even better.

That being said, I'm sure Nintendo diehards won't care because they will take anything Nintendo gives them.

After playing it (emulated) at 60fps, I just cannot go back to the janky mess that is the Switch/Wii U version. I know they did patch it to make the experience more (and I quote) "pleasant", but that game really needs to be 60fps.

20cent

Banned
What would it be anyway?

- Switch "pro" (boosted perfs)

- Switch 2 (BC with Switch but not the other way around)

- Completely new Nintendo console concept

?

I don't have the dock connected because games look lke shit on my 77"OLED.
Not much of mobile gamer, the hardware quality of Switch feels budget compared to PSVita.
Mostly play JRPGs on my Switch.
Still I don't know why Switch would need a HW update, it's quite acceptable as it is and customers flock to it.

Top Bottom