• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How many more years into the future are Nintendo fans happy to go without a hardware update?

How many more years into the future are Nintendo fans happy to go without a hardware update?

• 1-2 years

Votes: 73 41.5%
  • 3-5 years

Votes: 51 29.0%
  • 5+ years

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I dinnae own a Switch.

Votes: 25 14.2%

• Total voters

Mister Wolf

They just released the OLED model. I don't know how people are still speculating on an upgraded Switch. They literally just released it. That was it.

They released the Nintendo DS shortly after releasing the Gameboy Advance SP. Check the timeline.

Last edited:
45% is OK to wait another 3-5 years or even more......this is why I love Nintendo fanbase, they're not choosy, we're not picky, as long as the gameplay is good.......

heck I can't even count more than 30..... so 30 fps is just fine for me

Termite

I'm not okay with the Switch hardware as it is now, let alone waiting another 2-3 years.

It was when LoZ: Link's Awakening ran like shit and the otherwise brilliant Mario Bowser's Fury ran about about 3 pixels per frame that I started checking out of the hardware. Then you have stuff like Age of Calamity that just falls so short of what I consider acceptable performance / resolution that I just hard quit after a couple of hours. At least I beat the first two. AoC I just said "this isn't good enough any more."

The idea of playing Metroid Prime 4 or BotW2 on the current Switch is totally unpalatable to me. I'm essentially done with it. Wonderful 4 years or so where I played it every day, but I'm done with it.

For the record, I only use it docked, which makes a difference in how you perceive it. As portable hardware it's still wonderful, but that's irrelevant to me.

Last edited:
They'll replace it when it stops flying off store shelves. So far there hasn't even been a price drop, if anything the OLED model is a price increase and it's selling as fast as the original model.

giphy.gif

I have mine hooked to the same monitor my PC runs on and have no issue going back and forth. I can still play Starfox on the SNES too so maybe I just have a high tolerance but I think people are being overly dramatic about the Switch hardware.

5+ years, because I'm not unhappy with the Switches capability and that's not going to change. As long as a game doesn't look like or run like complete crap I'm happy. I love when graphics/performance are as best as they can be, but ultimately that's not what I care about.

I look at Monster Hunter as a great example of this. The series had never been a high-fidelity marvel and yet each entry hooked me for hundreds of hours. Then World came out with amazing fidelity and performance... but in my opinion the art direction sucked, the music sucked, the game design sucked, and no amount of 60fps shiny could make it fun for me.

Rise comes out and is a step backwards as far as fidelity and framerate, but it doesn't bother me. The world/gear/characters all look great again, the music is incredible, and the gameplay is a blast again.

Zannegan

Personally, I'd have liked one last year.

I can wait however long it takes for them to put out a worthwhile upgrade at an acceptable price, but I won't be happy about it.

UnNamed

Banned
2 years.
Even first party games begin to suffer because of the hardware. A +2025 release would mean 640p internal games and 360p third party games.

Top Bottom