• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How many more years into the future are Nintendo fans happy to go without a hardware update?

How many more years into the future are Nintendo fans happy to go without a hardware update?

• 1-2 years

Votes: 73 41.5%
  • 3-5 years

Votes: 51 29.0%
  • 5+ years

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I dinnae own a Switch.

Votes: 25 14.2%

• Total voters

theclaw135

Banned
I support stricter technical certification requirements. Developers ought to know the system's capabilities by now.
If a game chugs, Nintendo shouldn't green light it for manufacturing.

Fare thee well

Neophyte
Idk. I wish we'd all take a break from pushing the next graphics gen and just push for really captivating and diverse gameplay across all systems for 5 years. Go deeper with mechanics over looks. I own a Switch and I would like more reasons to play on it and I have zero desire to buy a new Nintendo system at this moment if I'm being honest. And I kind of feel the same for the other platforms I enjoy. I certainly have zero enthusiasm when I hear about a 4080 knowing the headache that will be.

theclaw135

Banned
Idk. I wish we'd all take a break from pushing the next graphics gen and just push for really captivating and diverse gameplay across all systems for 5 years. Go deeper with mechanics over looks. I own a Switch and I would like more reasons to play on it and I have zero desire to buy a new Nintendo system at this moment if I'm being honest. And I kind of feel the same for the other platforms I enjoy. I certainly have zero enthusiasm when I hear about a 4080 knowing the headache that will be.

Heh. I could probably sell my 1070 for a slim profit.

cireza

Banned
I own a Switch and never was happy with it :(

I would have liked for it to be something like 640x480 and dedicated to handheld gaming, with games developed with a handheld philosophy. Pretty much like the 3DS. Switch Lite is the only way to somehow enjoy this console, the visuals on TV are abysmal (but they always were, really).

Mr Hyde

I don't need new hardware for a couple of years. Got the OLED and since Nintendo exclusives look and play fantastic already it's not a big deal to wait for an upgrade. I got a PS5 if I want horsepower.

GymWolf

The only upgrade i want is cutting this gimmicky shit and releasing a powerfull home console but after the success of switch, we are gonna have another fucking tablet with shitty controllers and subpar performances.

I lost every faith in nintendo hardwares.

Last edited:

NahaNago

It definitely won't be this year and most likely not next year as well due to chip shortages and covid, so I'm guessing at least 3 years from now. Plus they just released that oled version last year so I see them chilling for a bit.

ZywyPL

Banned
I'd say 2-3 years. Both the hardware and the games are selling like hot cakes, so why even bother? The only people who "want" a better spec Switch are people who aren't even interested in Switch/Nintendo's library in the first place, they just think that with more processing power Nintendo will all of a sudden start making more mature, adult games suited for older audience. They won't, even with 10TF machine they'd still be making Marios, Zeldas, Pokemons etc. with their stylized rated T for Teens graphics, you want better specs and 3rd party AAA games then Steam Deck is your best bet.

Nevertheless, there are already almost 100M Switch units in the wild, so the market will probably soon get saturated (unless the pandemic will "force" more and more parents to get a Switch for their kids), so I think the sales will soon start to slow down and Nintendo will have a few years to monetize that userbase before they'll have to introduce something new, completely fresh.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Nintendo could go back to making nes games and they would still put out games that destroy everyone else’s offerings.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Nintendo can take as long as they want, people are quite happy shelling out for outdated hardware and shitty 'screen' updates

most people know a proper upgrade is coming.

E4n4g2l.jpg

NewYork214

I'm ready for a new system now. Got the switch like 3 years ago. Gave to brother 1.5 years ago. Most people are gonna disagree but I would like a full blown console from them next. Don't need a portable hybrid

Banjo64

cumsessed
Don’t really care. Use it on a 1080p tv.

Their next console will be equally gimped compared to PS5/Series X and we’ll still be getting games at 25-30fps.

Just embrace it.

It’s a shame, because they’d work miracles on a home console with the same power and form factor as the Series S.

Last edited:

MikeM

Not sure but I won’t park any of Nintendo’s products in my living room until they actually make an attempt at good hardware. Limiting devs to such terrible hardware really makes me wonder how much better their games could be if developed with a better system.

Woopah

I don't think they need anything before holiday 2024. I'm happy with my PS4 and Switch until then.

3-5. Power is irrelevant with Nintendo titles really. Look at AAA gaming today, broken games that aren't very fun.

My only issue is Nintendo is still taking forever to release games with only 1 system and Gen 7 graphics.
Some teams are overdue a new game (and the pandemic didn't help). But overall Nintendo puts out a lot of games in most years.

SteadyEvo

For the longest time I never paid attention to frame rate. Then current gen comes along and adds 60fps to older games. That said, I was playing Bowsers Fury on my oled and noticed it chugging along.

Nintendo needs to at least hit 60 fps, I don’t care about resolution. But we all know Nintendo stays a generation or more behind the times. At least they have Bluetooth headset capability which the other 2 lack.

Tschumi

For the longest time I never paid attention to frame rate. Then current gen comes along and adds 60fps to older games. That said, I was playing Bowsers Fury on my oled and noticed it chugging along.

Nintendo needs to at least hit 60 fps, I don’t care about resolution. But we all know Nintendo stays a generation or more behind the times. At least they have Bluetooth headset capability which the other 2 lack.
Funny thing is Metroid Prime 1 on gcn was 60 fps

Rodolink

For me the Switch might ne the first Nintendo console I totally skip unless they release a Zelda edition.
It has nothing that makes me want it. Super tiny controls, portable games not really designed to be portable (when making 3ds versions ie. devs added outlines to the characters and made UI fit small screen for easy reading on the go) expensive price for what it is nowadays. And a first party library that is mostly comprised of ports from the Wiiu which I already have.
Another story would've been having Metroid Primr and Bayonetta 3 but even those seem more likely to come for the next revision.

Rayderism

I would say, "as long as it takes", because Nintendo fans tend to be very loyal. Nintendo consoles are kind of in another ecosystem compared to XBOX or Playstation. Nintendo doesn't really try to compete with them, they just make a new system and release games for it, not really caring what Sony or MS is doing, and their fans will buy them up in droves.

Nautilus

Banned
Never, because Nintendo will launch the 10th gen before the need for something more powerful becomes out of control.

meanspartan

Most Nintendo exclusives still look terrific. I think the Switch is powerful enough for what Nintendo is doing, and has a couple of years left in that sense.

Plus, Switch is hugely successful. Dunno that they wanna prematurely end a good thing. Personally, I'd be fine if they just did Switch 2, 3, 4 etc. Just make a more powerful one every 5-7 years, but keep it backwards compatible.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I wouldn't have an issue with the Switch's hardware if the games developed for it would also be properly designed and optimized for said hardware.

Take Xenoblade 2 for example, a good looking game that looks like a blurry mess. Why not scale it down and make it run better while also being able to pump up the resolution?

Lognor

Banned
Nintendo doesn't really need to release new hardware. The XSX and PS5 are extremely supply constrained, and even though the Switch is far behind both in terms of power, consumers don't seem to care! The Switch is outselling the PS5 and XSX every month and there has not been a huge downturn in annual sales.

And due to the supply constraints, releasing new hardware any time soon would adversely effect them. There is a reason that Sony is continuing to produce PS4 consoles. Nintendo will likely wait out the next year or two until supply issues are corrected. And it's a smart move for them.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I technically own a switch...but it hasn't arrived yet...so Imma say 2 years and then I'll be ready for what's next.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Nintendo needs a new console tomorrow, and that’s coming from a Nintendo fan. I was disappointed there weren’t any announcements in 2020, 2021 and now 2022 it’s a real head scratcher I know Sony and Nintendo continue last gen hardware but now have next gen console. Nintendo doesn’t put pressure on themselves but all those talented game studios give them a pat on the back. It would be devistating if Nintendo doesn’t show a new console or handheld at E3 2022. Switch’s hardware is not acceptable today.
Minions Mic Drop GIF

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I’d like a super switch in 3-5 years. Whole new system though. Might be portable like current. I’ll let the nintendo wizards figure that out

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I don't own a Switch for the power of the hardware. As long as BOTW2, MP4 and the next Odyssey are playable I'm good.

Dream-Knife

Banned
I wouldn't have an issue with the Switch's hardware if the games developed for it would also be properly designed and optimized for said hardware.

Take Xenoblade 2 for example, a good looking game that looks like a blurry mess. Why not scale it down and make it run better while also being able to pump up the resolution?
I'd rather them not compromise the game.

XC2 was a pretty big shock when I decided to try it portable though. It had a bit of that rough pixelated PS1 look to it.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I'd rather them not compromise the game.

XC2 was a pretty big shock when I decided to try it portable though. It had a bit of that rough pixelated PS1 look to it.
I don't know man... I would prefer if the game scaled down in other things rather than resolution while being on portable. Cool graphics are nice, but being able to see them is even nicer.

there's no need for a Switch Pro.

we'll get a hardware upgrade when the Switch 2 (or whatever it's called) comes out. I can't see the Switch getting another update. at a push maybe a cheaper Lite model.

Switch 2 will probably be late 2023 or even 2024.

Chastten

Banned
I really wished people would stop saying 'Nintendo fans will eat whatever' and such bullshit. People have different priorities. I could never game on a PlayStation because every DualShock controller is utter dogshit but you don't hear me saying 'PlayStation fans have just accepted their faith' or whatever bullshit. If people actually like the PS controller, then hey, great for them.

To me personally, the Switch graphics and performance are fine. And it's not like I 'don't know any better' cause I have a PC that runs any game at 60+ FPS in a 1440p resolution. It's just that I don't care about stuff like that. I like playing Genshin Impact or Age of Empires IV on PC in ultra mode but I can just as easily play a 30 fps game at 480p. As long as the game is good and the artstyle is nice, I don't care about how it looks.

Something I can't stand personally is noise. I want every piece of electronics to be whisperquiet. If something has coilwhine or loud fannoises, it goes out. But since the Switch has none of that, it's a great fit for me.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Not happy to wait at all, just have no choice.
Wish Nintendo had a real (read ms or sony) portable competitor to keep them in line and out of full on rip off mode.

The Skull

Don't care as long as they produce high quality enjoyable games, sans Pokémon because well gamefreak are utterly incompetent.

Top Bottom