• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How many of you have a VRR capable display and use it right now?

Do you have a VRR capable display and do you use it?

• I have a VRR capable display and use VRR now

• I have a VRR capable display but do NOT use VRR

• I do not have a VRR capable display but plan to upgrade

• I do not have a VRR capable display and it's not a factor for me

• I am Riky

Results are only viewable after voting.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Regulars will know that VRR is a hot topic in performance threads these days. Several users have even expressed that it's their most important current gen feature, but it's unclear how many GAF-ers actually play with VRR or even have access to it.

What is VRR?
Variable refresh rate (VRR) is the general term for a dynamic display refresh rate that can continuously and seamlessly vary on the fly, on displays that support variable refresh rate technologies.

Digital Foundry video that touches on VRR:

If you do currently play with VRR, please share information about your screen, setup and impressions. It would be great to hear recommendations for screens (monitor or TV) as well as anecdotes about gameplay experiences with VRR.

ANIMAL1975

First i have to still buy the damn ps5, but of course that i want to upgrade to the latest tech in my gaming TV. My Samsung Q60R was the best I could buy to enter the 4k Gen, just have to wait until i can afford to buy a new set.

watdaeff4

I would like a new LG OLED with VRR but after “upgrading” to an OLED and new AVR (that doesn’t have HDMI 2.1 passthrough anyway) in 2017 and everything still looks and sounds great relatively speaking - I just can’t justify another purchase of each of those at this point

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I have had G Sync for years and I saved my ass off to get the LG CX with my xbox and ps5 because I wanted to be ready for my future tech with my new purchases. Set for a generation.

I know how good the tech is and I'm a believer that it shouldn't be played down. I use it and it's the shiz.

Have my consoles and PC hooked up to the CX. Pc also a rog swift and soon to be QLED.

Last edited:

REDRZA MWS

I have a 77” LG GX. I love it. We all know the picture quality of OLED, we all know it’s near instantaneous response times. With HDMI 2.1 on my Series X gaming is Bliss. ALLM, VRR, 4K 120hz with Dolby Vision.

As far as setting i make sure to set my gaming inputs to “PC”, and then adjust the picture settings using both the new consoles settings to adjust for HDR etc, then some other setting to my liking. Gaming is butter smooth with really no compromises.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Its funny I bought two tvss this year to replace two I have in our living room and family room.
I got a sony x90j and a LG 900 something. both 65".
I was going to make the x90j the main gaming tv but ended up loving the lg more. so i swapped them.

Don't have a VRR enabled TV. To be honest I'm not too fussed about it either and still quite happy with my current Panasonic set, tho Will be upgrading to a newer screen soon enough (Panasonic again) for better HDR & 120Hz

FingerBang

Got a C1 recently. I own a B8 also. I have PS5, XSX and my desktop with a 3080 connected. VRR is great for PC gaming, never really felt a big difference on console.

scydrex

I have a Sony x900h it has VRR but Sony dosen't release the update enabling VRR. Would have use it with Elden Ring while waiting for better performance via update or until VRR is not needed. I prefer the games to be locked to 60fps but if is not locked i would use it.

Mithos

Don't have one. and there is nothing wrong with my current TV/Display, that would force me to get a new one.
If it breaks/new hardware will not work on it requireing hdmi 2.1 and hdmi 2.1 ONLY or no picture PERIOD. then I'd need to upgrade I guess.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
I would like a new LG OLED with VRR but after “upgrading” to an OLED and new AVR (that doesn’t have HDMI 2.1 passthrough anyway) in 2017 and everything still looks and sounds great relatively speaking - I just can’t justify another purchase of each of those at this point
I am going to upgrade my monitor that I have my Xbox hooked up to, but I'm in the exact same boat with my home theater/PS5. My Yamaha receiver doesn't have the updated passthrough and my current LG OLED doesn't support it even if it did.

Mr Hyde

I have a Samsung 55 QLED 77t, equipped with VRR but since I game on a PS5 it's currently unavailable until Sony decides to patch it. I don't really give a fuck about it either, it's just another buzz word that pathetic console warriors likes to throw around in their crusade.

LostDonkey

Got Acer Nitro 144hz Freesync monitor that's supported by my PC and Series X, but unfortunately not my PS5 Which is a crying shame because it makes such a huge difference.

MastAndo

no-crying.gif

intbal

I have the Acer VG280K.
28", 4k, 10bit, HDR, 40-60hz VRR range, on-screen fps display (love this feature, but it only functions when vrr is on, shows constant 60 with vrr off).

You can get this monitor cheap from the Acer Recertified store. It's called the VG0 there but it's the same monitor.
If you just want to "try out" vrr, but don't want to spend much, this is a good choice. Too small for most gaming, in my opinion, but it can get you through some problem games with poor framerates.

Negatives:
-Neither bright enough (a hair under 400nits) nor contrasty enough (about 1,020:1) to make much of a difference in HDR.
-The speakers function, but they're really just there for show. You're not going to hear much out of them.

Loxus

I'm actually surprised the results are this high on here. The way people talk down about VRR you would of thought barely anyone had it.
It seems VRR is def something to take into account when judging these comparisons going forward.
You shouldn't base that around just this Forum.

There are more PS4 owners than PS5 owners in the world and much, much more non VRS owners than VRR owners.

Top Bottom