• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How many of you have a VRR capable display and use it right now?

Do you have a VRR capable display and do you use it?

• I have a VRR capable display and use VRR now

• I have a VRR capable display but do NOT use VRR

• I do not have a VRR capable display but plan to upgrade

• I do not have a VRR capable display and it's not a factor for me

• I am Riky

Results are only viewable after voting.

TrebleShot

Anyone who has a VRR display knows it’s a highly over rated feature.

I may be lucky but I have a C9 which is VRR enables and a XSX I haven’t once noticed it as a plus which I kind of get is the point and I could swallow that if I didn’t have a PS5 and have never seen tearing in any game I have played or stutter etc.

It will come out for PS5 and people will be very underwhelmed.

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.

I may be lucky but I have a C9 which is VRR enables and a XSX I haven’t once noticed it as a plus which I kind of get is the point and I could swallow that if I didn’t have a PS5 and have never seen tearing in any game I have played or stutter etc.

Totally disagree with you

MarkMe2525

Gold Member

Sorry for the double posts but I whole heartedly disagree. I don't understand the comment " I don't notice it as a plus" as that is exactly what VRR is supposed to do, as in just work by eliminate tearing and perceived break drops. Are you saying you see prominent screen tearing and frame drops?

I immediately noticed a difference in perceived fluidity when upgrading from a standard 60hz display to a 120hz VRR enabled television.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
What are the differences between VRR and G-Sync? If any.

James Franco GIF

I have a freesync display, but sadly I don't think PS5 will support freesync.

I also searched and searched for a 32 inch monitor with HDMI Forum VRR and can't find anything. I even asked the companies about them and they confirmed that it's freesync or gsync, no VRR.

Mozza

Will the LG C1 OLED support this, My Series X is supposed to check what your display is capable of, but selected 60htz rather then 120htz, so not sure I trust the auto feature.

Chukhopops

I have a 65 CX and I love everything about it, I’m never buying another brand again. If you buy a new TV and don’t buy a VRR one you’re going to regret it later, don’t be stupid the feature will come eventually on other platforms.
Will the LG C1 OLED support this, My Series X is supposed to check what your display is capable of, but selected 60htz rather then 120htz, so not sure I trust the auto feature.
Did you activate 120 Hz in the console settings and use the HDMI 1? Normally the tv detects the optimal settings automatically.

TrebleShot

Sorry for the double posts but I whole heartedly disagree. I don't understand the comment " I don't notice it as a plus" as that is exactly what VRR is supposed to do, as in just work by eliminate tearing and perceived break drops. Are you saying you see prominent screen tearing and frame drops?

I immediately noticed a difference in perceived fluidity when upgrading from a standard 60hz display to a 120hz VRR enabled television.
No my point is , it’s a nice to have and it’s cool to have a feature enabled or supported on your hardware.

But it’s just not enough to be spoken so much about not as a game changer it’s akin to comparing Dolby Vision and HDR it’s good and DV is arguably better but your not going to really notice it because they are both great.

VRR is needed on unlocked frame rates right?? Where there is a lot of fluctuation to avoid tearing and artefacts? I’ve owned both systems since launch and I haven’t noticed a single instance of tearing or stuttering on PS5 or XSX. Whether that’s solid FR or VRR on XSX. It’s one of those things that’s just a tick box on the back of the box and one has it and another doesn’t.

Honestly I think that’s why Sony hasn’t prioritised it, there’s just bigger and better things to focus on but people bleat know about it over and over.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I'm actually surprised the results are this high on here. The way people talk down about VRR you would of thought barely anyone had it.
It seems VRR is def something to take into account when judging these comparisons going forward.
Some of the people here claiming they have a TV that supports VRR:

Animated GIF
Meme Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

DryvBy

I have nothing that's VRR except an Xbox Series X but I don't think it's something I even need. My screen tearing isn't noticeable to me if it's even happening.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Here here.

My primary gaming display is a 32'' 4K PC monitor with Freesync VRR, which Xbox Series X also fortunately supports.

I have a secondary TCL TV where my PS4 Pro currently resides, which is a non VRR display.

You shouldn't base that around just this Forum.

There are more PS4 owners than PS5 owners in the world and much, much more non VRS owners than VRR owners.

Of course, VRR .. especially on consoles .. is still extremely new, and TV's only started adding it very recently too.

So obviously there will be a lot more people who don't have it.

But in an ideal scenario if you're getting a new generation console to last you a good 5~7 years, you'll want to get a VRR / 120hz etc etc capable display with it.

Last edited:
I purchased a VRR capable TV back in January of 2021, but I have yet to use the feature. What's stopping me from using it is the conflicting reports that VRR causes image quality to decrease dramatically or that it causes inaccurate colors. I'm not willing to sacrifice image quality for a few saved frames.

Sleepwalker

LGC1 hooked to pc, xsx and ps5. VRR enabled on all but ps5.

LG 32 inch monitor with freesync

Hell, even my laptop has adaptive sync.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
The red carpet isn’t rolled out for things like 3D, HDR, 4K, VRR etc. to the people.

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
Recently got an LG C1 but have to admit that I don't really notice the benefit of VRR. I suppose that's the point - games on the Series X and my 3080 just look amazing on this TV.

Filben

I purchased a VRR capable TV back in January of 2021, but I have yet to use the feature. What's stopping me from using it is the conflicting reports that VRR causes image quality to decrease dramatically or that it causes inaccurate colors. I'm not willing to sacrifice image quality for a few saved frames.
Did you try for yourself? It depends dramatically on your model, the FPS/Hz range and your sensibility and what you regards as image quality. I'd recommend to try it out. For example, in certain Hz areas there's a very subtle flicker in black areas when Hz/fps are changing. But to notice you have to a) watch carefully b) play a game with a very dark sequence or constant dark areas and c) have always drastically fluctuating fps. And even if all of this is true, it's not like the image quality itself suffers (but again, depends on your understanding of IQ) or inaccurate colours apart from black in that case.

Practically speaking, on my model, it only happens on black/dark loading screens where FPS change all the time. In real gameplay, it's like 95% of the time not noticeable.

RafterXL

Imagine making this post the day people started playing Elden Ring. The game is a shitfest without VRR.

P.S. the fact that you don't notice it is exactly the point. It's supposed to make you not notice.

I'll die on the hill of VRR any day, and PS5 users will be happy the say it's finally supported.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Recently upgraded to a VRR monitor. I have been doing all my gaming on PC since I can't find a PS5, so I decided I might as well treat myself.

TrebleShot

Imagine making this post the day people started playing Elden Ring. The game is a shitfest without VRR.

P.S. the fact that you don't notice it is exactly the point. It's supposed to make you not notice.

I'll die on the hill of VRR any day, and PS5 users will be happy the say it's finally supported.
Look man I’m not trying to say your wrong or anything I’m just voicing my opinion that I don’t think it will be a game changer and it will for sure be nice since it was promised I just don’t think it’s a major highlight or amazing feature.

If it comes to PS5 and changes the games
I play I will be the first to come in here and say you were spot on.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Been using a free sync monitor since nvidia unlocked free sync support and my consoles are more often than not connected to a monitor instead of a TV.

Even then, my relatively cheap 65in LG supports 4k120 and freesync and you can spend much less than I did and still get freesync support on a TV.

Contrary to what some try to peddle around here, it's really not that difficult to get a VRR capable display.

Shai-Tan

Banned
I hate tearing. It's game dependent whether or not it's annoying though. Some games you barely notice - others it's extremely annoying. I turn off VRR sometimes because I get glitching that interferes with SteamVR and I don't always notice I forgot to turn it back on.

twilo99

I've had one for almost two years now... no reason not to have one and enjoy the advantage, which is substantial for certain games like warzone for example where my 6800xt won't be able to provide such a smooth gameplay without VRR.

Top Bottom