• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How many of you have a VRR capable display and use it right now?

Do you have a VRR capable display and do you use it?

• I have a VRR capable display and use VRR now

• I have a VRR capable display but do NOT use VRR

• I do not have a VRR capable display but plan to upgrade

• I do not have a VRR capable display and it's not a factor for me

• I am Riky

Results are only viewable after voting.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The poll results are mighty encouraging to see so far.

Recently got an LG C1 but have to admit that I don't really notice the benefit of VRR. I suppose that's the point - games on the Series X and my 3080 just look amazing on this TV.

Exactly, the best case scenario for using VRR is that you will not notice absolutely anything, no drops, no tearing. Just a smooth performing game.

Last edited:

Leyasu

Banned
I have a Samsung QLED and an XsX. VRR is activated.

Although I don't see the screen tearing and whatnot, I can can still see the drops in Cyberpunk for example when they happen. The definitely feel like streamingproblems in that game.

ZehDon

I have a 100hz Ultrawide monitor with GSync for my PC. There's no going back; massive improvement. Unfortunately, my 4k TV doesn't have VRR. Seeing Elden Rings inconsistent framerate hurts :( At least give us an optional cap!

Loxus

There are some things I don't understand when it comes to the VRR hype.

When tested, it had an average of 117 fps and 0 torn frames and minimum stutters if any.

When understanding what causes screen tearing, the GPU forms more frames than the display can redraw (refresh). As the monitor tries to display 2 or more frames at the same time, tearing occurs.

Screen tearing explained (Causes & fixes)
Screen tearing is caused by buffer switch synchronization issues between the video processor (GPU/graphics card) and how fast the display can refresh each frame. A buffer is a physical memory in a video card where data is stored before being moved to the display’s processor.

However, this is more likely to happens when the FPS is higher than the refresh rate (i.e, running 120 fps at 60Hz).

As the display circuitry tries to output the already rendered frames at a frequency higher than its refresh rate, one or more frames start displaying on an already displayed frame causing phase issues and tearing. What you end up with 2-half frames or more being displayed concurrently.

Stuttering
Consequently, you may experience stuttering if your GPU can’t keep up with the display’s refresh rate (i.e running 60 fps at 144 Hz). In this example, the stutter will be more noticeable since 144 is not a multiple of 60 (the monitor’s panel refreshes 2.4 for each frame) causing timing issues.

Laggy and slow
When the refresh rate is significantly larger than the frame rate, gaming will feel laggy and slow as some frames may be skipped.

With high refresh rate monitors (120 Hz+), screen tearing is unlikely as they are made of high-quality panels, have better processors, and are able to sync better with the GPU’s frame rate. In addition, most games are played at lower frame cycles.

Variable Refresh Rate
This feature reduces screen tearing and stutter by delivering Frames as fast as possible from the source to match the display’s refresh rate for more fluid motion.

The PS5 doesn't run way above a TV's refresh rate, so screen tearing is a the very minimum.
The PS5 doesn't run way below a TV's refresh rate, so stutters and lag would also be at a minimum.

In reality, VRR doesn't completely eliminate screen tearing and stuttering so the PS5 is fine without it for now.

Also, VRR doesn't improve frame rate. 20/40fps isn't going to feel like 30/60fps.

I wish Sony would hurry up and release the VRR update. At this moment VRR is all over this Forum like the Game Pass threads and is only getting this much attention because it's only on Xbox.

SLB1904

Banned

When tested, it had an average of 117 fps and 0 torn frames and minimum stutters if any.

When understanding what causes screen tearing, the GPU forms more frames than the display can redraw (refresh). As the monitor tries to display 2 or more frames at the same time, tearing occurs.

Screen tearing is caused by buffer switch synchronization issues between the video processor (GPU/graphics card) and how fast the display can refresh each frame. A buffer is a physical memory in a video card where data is stored before being moved to the display’s processor.

However, this is more likely to happens when the FPS is higher than the refresh rate (i.e, running 120 fps at 60Hz).

As the display circuitry tries to output the already rendered frames at a frequency higher than its refresh rate, one or more frames start displaying on an already displayed frame causing phase issues and tearing. What you end up with 2-half frames or more being displayed concurrently.

Stuttering
Consequently, you may experience stuttering if your GPU can’t keep up with the display’s refresh rate (i.e running 60 fps at 144 Hz). In this example, the stutter will be more noticeable since 144 is not a multiple of 60 (the monitor’s panel refreshes 2.4 for each frame) causing timing issues.

Laggy and slow
When the refresh rate is significantly larger than the frame rate, gaming will feel laggy and slow as some frames may be skipped.

With high refresh rate monitors (120 Hz+), screen tearing is unlikely as they are made of high-quality panels, have better processors, and are able to sync better with the GPU’s frame rate. In addition, most games are played at lower frame cycles.

Variable Refresh Rate
This feature reduces screen tearing and stutter by delivering Frames as fast as possible from the source to match the display’s refresh rate for more fluid motion.

The PS5 doesn't run way above a TV's refresh rate, so screen tearing is a the very minimum.
The PS5 doesn't run way below a TV's refresh rate, so stutters and lag would also be at a minimum.

In reality, VRR doesn't completely eliminate screen tearing and stuttering so the PS5 is fine without it for now.

Also, VRR doesn't improve frame rate. 20/40fps isn't going to feel like 30/60fps.

I wish Sony would hurry up and release the VRR update. At this moment VRR is all over this Forum like the Game Pass threads and is only getting this much attention because it's only on Xbox.

lNUh0uV.gif

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.

Stuttering

Laggy and slow

Variable Refresh Rate

Plenty of screen tearing on ps5 games just look at the recent cyberpunk updates anytime you go into a major populate area screen tearing everywhere

adamsapple

--

You're using a game that runs good as an example, this is one game. Not all games perform this well.

Like how you don't hear anyone talking about how much VRR improves Gears 5's 60 or 120hz modes because that game runs incredibly regardless.

But then there were other examples like AC Valhalla which had copious tearing on SX at launch even though the average performance was still very good (tearing which they did fix with later patches, but at launch VRR displays were great for that game on SX).

VRR doesn't magically add frames, it matches your display and games refresh rates so you feel as little of the unresponsiveness and judder 'cause of that mismatch as possible. VRR-ing all the way down to 25hz will still make it obvious that the average frame rate has dropped, but between 60 and 45 and more so between 120 and 90, it's a lot less noticeable with VRR.

Yes, every time a DF article comes out or someone comments that playing a game with VRR enabled is the best way, it sure does irk a lot of people the wrong way.

Here's hoping when every console gets that "best played with a VRR display" note on DF, things will be a lot more calmer here.

Last edited:

Jennings

I choose the option "I don't know what VRR is and at this point I'm too afraid to ask." I've never jumped on the Virtual Reality train so that's my excuse.

RafterXL

Stuttering

Laggy and slow

Variable Refresh Rate

Yeah, this just all kinds of wrong. First off, screen tearing has been in multiple games on the PS5. And it is absolutely eliminated by VRR so long as the framerates are within the range of the television. Also, any game that doesn't run at a LOCKED 30 or 60 fps is prone to studders and what you call lag.

And no shit, VRR doesn't improve framerates, it smooths out the fluctuations so that they are unnoticeable or less noticeable, resulting in better percieved performance and an overall better end user result than without it.

Having it is better than not having it...end of story. In fact, Elden Ring plays better on the XSX than it does on the PS5 100% because of VRR, even though the PS5 is supposed to run at a higher average framerate. Digital Foundry actually recommends you play the PS4 version on the PS5 because the PS5 version framerate issues, and John Linneman actually decided to play the XSX version because of VRR.

You guys that are tired of hearing about VRR and are always downplaying it aren't actually doing yourselves any favors. No one who owns a PS5 is better off without it, so the fact that you guys push so hard against is just ridiculous. I'd literally be playing Elden Ring on my PS5 right now if it supported VRR, but it doesn't, and it's stupid that it's still not available.

adamsapple

You guys that are tired of hearing about VRR and are always downplaying it aren't actually doing yourselves any favors. No one who owns a PS5 is better off without it, so the fact that you guys push so hard against is just ridiculous. I'd literally be playing Elden Ring on my PS5 right now if it supported VRR, but it doesn't, and it's stupid that it's still not available.

Expect a sharp change in demeanor when PS5 finally gets the update.

graywolf323

Gold Member
I'm still running my 55" Samsung KS8000 from 2016 which is going strong, not in any rush to upgrade but I would like to once it makes sense for my budget to drop ~$1k on a TV again

Shai-Tan

Banned
I choose the option "I don't know what VRR is and at this point I'm too afraid to ask." I've never jumped on the Virtual Reality train so that's my excuse.
Variable refresh rate. It’s a monitor/tv feature not for VR. It prevents screen tearing similar to vsync but doesn’t have downside of vsync of excessive input lag especially when frametime exceeds refresh (with frametime spikes in vsync you get drops to half refresh -> not so in vrr) edit: forgot to add that adaptive vsync can drop out of vsync when frametimes are too high but then you get tearing again. The other workaround is dynamic resolution which adaptively reduces frametime (what a lot of console games do). With VRR there’s more freedom to do a mode with unlocked frame rates that has less input lag but not as much damage to image quality as a straight 60fps mode

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
For me, VRR is the most important feature of the decade.
It does miracles to keep games smoother and playable.
After using it for several years now, I can honestly say it's the feature I would never sacrifice in my games.

ethomaz

Banned
What are the differences between VRR and G-Sync? If any.
Depende of G-Sync.

The notebook G-Sync, that one that doesn't have a module in the Screen, is basically VRR... pretty little difference.
But the premium G-Sync where the Screen has module to handle G-Sync is a bit different because it offload the processing from the screen processor and show better results.

This shows the differences... G-Sync Compatible and G-Sync are VRR like.
Ultimate is the one that has the V-Sync module.

nvidia-g-sync-monitor-stack-comparison.png

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
I have a monitor with VRR - only use it with an Xbox so whatever games have made use of 120fps game modes with dips - Halo MCC & A Plague Tale I think.

I think 120fps is over rated. 60fps is essential though.

Riky

$MSFT
You’re on an enthusiast forum that makes up a fraction of the gaming populace that plays on $150 Insignia TVs from Wallyworld.

99% of the gaming world doesn’t even know what VRR is. You know this. We all know this.

They are also the people who wouldn't care about framerates anyway.
The point is like I said, gamers have embraced the feature.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Now you know why so many mass appeal games suffer in that department. Devs know.
That's the truth of it. The majority here have great equipment. I have a great pc. Great tv. Next gen consoles etc. But we are a tiny portion of the overall gaming audience. Forums are for enthusiasts.

smbu2000

I have a 48” LG CX along with my XSX. Have and use VRR with it.

Seems strange that the PS5 doesn’t support it since Sony started updating some of their TVs with VRR.

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
Looks like the majority has either a VRR display or is me, that puts to bed the small minority spin, gamers have embraced the feature.
I think the high percentage is because a lot of us on a gaming forum, probably take gaming a bit more seriously than the average consumer.

I can imagine the percentage is a lot lower if it included everyone that owned a series S/X or PS5.

Then again 4k TVs with VRR etc are a lot more affordable than a few years back now imo.

Last edited:

A.Romero

I don't see the logic behind saying that the PS5 is fine without it. It's a feature that was promised.

It doesn't matter if the difference is huge or not.

Zeroing

Banned
I still haven’t upgraded from my 2017 Samsung TV. I always get confused tried to upgrade TVs, some models are different from country to country. Some missing features etc…

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Looks like the majority has either a VRR display or is me, that puts to bed the small minority spin, gamers have embraced the feature.

You’re on an enthusiast forum that makes up a fraction of the gaming populace that plays on $150 Insignia TVs from Wallyworld.

99% of the gaming world doesn’t even know what VRR is. You know this. We all know this.

That's the truth of it. The majority here have great equipment. I have a great pc. Great tv. Next gen consoles etc. But we are a tiny portion of the overall gaming audience. Forums are for enthusiasts.

I agree with all these points. Users here are much more likely to be aware of and focus on these kinds of features than a majority of consumers. Among enthusiasts VRR is an important feature and has become standard for most PC gamers. It's interesting to see then that around half of the enthusiasts here still don't have access to this features right now though. Maybe if Sony adopts it, that will shift even further.

I wonder if it would be worth asking what people's most important feature overall is?

Last generation, with the release of the pro consoles, high quality HDR implemention definitely became one of the most important features for me personally. With this current generation, I've noticed a significant improvement to the audio quality coming out of my PS5 compared to my Series, Switch and the PS4Pro. This was especially noticable on the current gen only titles Demon's Souls and Returnal. I'm hoping when I see some more Series exclusive games that I'll really be able to hear how the audio stacks up. This isn't to say anything special about the spatial audio, I think that's a bit lackluster at the moment across the board, but specifically the quality and depth of sound from the current hardware.

At any rate, I've been looking to upgrade my monitor (which I have my computer and Xbox connected to) and will likely be keeping an eye out for one that supports VRR. It's too bad that there isn't really an single option that has the performance and utility of a monitor with the HDR and overall picture quality of an OLED TV.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I agree with all these points. Users here are much more likely to be aware of and focus on these kinds of features than a majority of consumers. Among enthusiasts VRR is an important feature and has become standard for most PC gamers. It's interesting to see then that around half of the enthusiasts here still don't have access to this features right now though. Maybe if Sony adopts it, that will shift even further.

I wonder if it would be worth asking what people's most important feature overall is?

Last generation, with the release of the pro consoles, high quality HDR implemention definitely became one of the most important features for me personally. With this current generation, I've noticed a significant improvement to the audio quality coming out of my PS5 compared to my Series, Switch and the PS4Pro. This was especially noticable on the current gen only titles Demon's Souls and Returnal. I'm hoping when I see some more Series exclusive games that I'll really be able to hear how the audio stacks up. This isn't to say anything special about the spatial audio, I think that's a bit lackluster at the moment across the board, but specifically the quality and depth of sound from the current hardware.

At any rate, I've been looking to upgrade my monitor (which I have my computer and Xbox connected to) and will likely be keeping an eye out for one that supports VRR. It's too bad that there isn't really an single option that has the performance and utility of a monitor with the HDR and overall picture quality of an OLED TV.
Mine are the SSDs and the speed these consoles provide with them and push the direct storage tech forward in the PC arena.

Kupfer

Whoops I chose "I have a VRR capable display but do NOT use VRR" because I just thought about my LG OLED CX and PS5, but it should be "I have a VRR capable display and use VRR now" when I think about my PC monitor.

Loxus

Yeah, this just all kinds of wrong. First off, screen tearing has been in multiple games on the PS5. And it is absolutely eliminated by VRR so long as the framerates are within the range of the television. Also, any game that doesn't run at a LOCKED 30 or 60 fps is prone to studders and what you call lag.

And no shit, VRR doesn't improve framerates, it smooths out the fluctuations so that they are unnoticeable or less noticeable, resulting in better percieved performance and an overall better end user result than without it.

Having it is better than not having it...end of story. In fact, Elden Ring plays better on the XSX than it does on the PS5 100% because of VRR, even though the PS5 is supposed to run at a higher average framerate. Digital Foundry actually recommends you play the PS4 version on the PS5 because the PS5 version framerate issues, and John Linneman actually decided to play the XSX version because of VRR.

Edit:

XBSX has more stutters with VRR enabled than PS5.

Also, I didn't say PS5 doesn't have screen tearing or stutters. I said it's at a minimum.

Last edited:

Cherrypepsi

I've been using gsync since 2014.
In competitive PC games like overwatch where you can have more than 240 fps I disabled gsync on my alienware 240hz because it kinda messed with the responsiveness and reminded me of the old vsync days a little.
On series x I didnt notice this at all, but I mostly play games at 60fps.
VRR helps with tearing for me but framedrops are still noticeable.
It's a good feature but it's not the holy grail like some people describe it.

The best thing about the series x in general is how it handles TV output, VRR is just one factor of it.

That being said, I played GTA4 on the PS3 and still had fun. We've all become little elitists now 😜

Would I buy a TV without VRR? No

Got an Asus Gsync monitor 165hz in like 2017. Magical. Updated to a newer model (270hz) last year. Picked up a cheap AOC monitor to do 1440p120hz for the Series X since my old 165hz doesn't do higher frame rates over HDMI. The 2017 Asus is a lot better than the smeary AOC but good enough for console work.

My TV is from 2005 and I haven't used it to play video games in a very long time.

adamsapple

I wonder i it would be worth asking what people's most important feature overall is?

Most important is just how fast everything is compared to last gen. Native SSDs make a hell of a difference.

VRR, Quick Resume etc are all great additive features.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Most important is just how fast everything is compared to last gen. Native SSDs make a hell of a difference.

VRR, Quick Resume etc are all great additive features.
Quick Resume is definitely nice, but Microsoft needs to enforce it for all games released moving forward. Right now it's a mixed bag.

Top Bottom