• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Microsoft isn’t getting its deserved credit.

Laptop1991

I'm a long time PC gamer only player and i know what MS has been like with PC gaming since the original Xbox, infact there is no PC only genre anymore, so i will give MS credit when they actually deliver top games, as xbox and pc are tied together now, i hope and want them to do well, and was told on here they will do well for games and PC gaming, i have to say i'm still waiting at the minute, the jury is still out for me.

Last edited:

Gaelyon

Gold Member
While MS has done many good things for their ecosystem, services, softwares they still fail inexplicably to deliver a steady stream of exclusives comparable to sony both in quantity and overall quality. They do have great games but it's too erratic and they managed sometimes to have whole years with few significant releases, while buying dozens of studios since 2018. It's a bit puzzling really. Sony did have some issue as well but not on the same level. Gamepass is the current savior of X-box.

Many companies MS included get too big for their own boots (PS3 reveal anyone?)

But I gather and it is true, there's a lack of First Party output. But that hardly can keep being the case with MS having gone on a shopping frenzy right?

Their first party output has been great in last couple of years.

It's just that it's not exclusive to their console due to acquisitions being recent. Something everyone latches to saying it has no games.

It's just fanboy war.

Emedan

I'm a long time PC gamer only player and i know what MS has been like with PC gaming since the original Xbox, infact there is no PC only genre anymore, so i will give MS credit when they actually deliver top games, as xbox and pc are tied together now, i hope and want them to do well, and was told on here they will do well for games and PC gaming, i have to say i'm still waiting at the minute, the jury is still out for me.
I could say that too, I mean AOEs success was probably part of why they even got in.

Though MS lack of 1st Party games have always been the issue, isn't all these acquisitions a step in the right direction then?

Markio128

You know, when the OG Xbox was a thing, I was the biggest of green rats. I loved the gaudy looking console and massive controller - it felt like a proper console designed for console gamers. I loved the games that were released - even games like Rallysport Challenge were awesome, but games like Halo, Project Gotham Racing and Jet Set Radio really set it apart from other consoles at the time.

Maybe it’s just me, but when people talk more about services than games, you know there is a problem.

Laptop1991

I could say that too, I mean AOEs success was probably part of why they even got in.

Though MS lack of 1st Party games have always been the issue, isn't all these acquisitions a step in the right direction then?

Yeah, when they deliver.

Last edited:

Goalus

Suddenly having a subscription for your video games makes you good I believe it’s a scam and shouldn’t happen for gaming.
I think that Netflix, Spotify, car leasing, rental properties, and cell phone contracts are a scam and shouldn't happen because you don't own the products you consume. I'd go as far and declare taxes to be illegal, unless you can own (a part of) the country that collects them.

Codes 208

Having discord is a huge plus for me, i still have no idea how ps5’s derpscord chat system works.
Not that it matters, the audio quality is garbage in comparison. (Tbf xbox’s built in chat is also trash compared to discord)

Plus they havent started charging $70 for their games yet, on top of that, xbox automatically recognizing SX from XB1 digital downloads is a huge plus (ive head to delete a couple games on my ps5 already for being the ps4 versions, since ps5 upgrade titles sometimes default to the ps4 version, like elden ring and fall guys) its also nice how this also applies to their controllers, it took ages for me to get a ps5 again, i really like the ps5 controller but it was so bs that they couldnt update the ps4 to support it (but the ps3 and pc can??)

Gamepass is a plus but PSN is really starting to catch steam (though they need to drop the bullshit and add first party games day one like xbox)

Overall id argue that xbox has the better QoL setup but PS has the games, like thats not even a contest.

Maybe when the games start coming, but ever since the last couple 360 years, their games have been dragging way behind both competitors (and I don't mean Google and Amazon).

So far, this generation hasn't produced the promises fruit. In fact, they don't have a single first-party AAA game for the entire year unless you count Grounded which has honestly been out well before 2022.

When the games come out and live up to the hype, I'll feel differently. But having all first-party games available day one means very little when month after month, season after season,, go by with no first-party games releasing.

Last edited:
They need games. Not just games. Bangers.

How you launch a console and almost 3 years later all you have to show for it is, you guessed it... Halo and Forza, is beyond me.

Im not giving them credit until they start delivering.

Absolutely pathetic output of games. What did they release this year?

Gamepass is full of crap I'd never buy, a few gems now and then sure. But I largely dont care about your good value service if theres no games.

GAMES

I love the fact that gamepass launches a lot of really good middle tier AA and Indie games, but i feel like its so easy to wait on those to go to sale, and even then they are usually no more than 25 bucks at launch. I wish PS Plus did it more like how they did it with Stray, Bugsnax, Oddworld, Fall Guys, etc. I feel like Rollerdrome should have been a day 1 ps plus launch.

But yeah, Microsoft isn’t going to get undying praise in the second year of the console launch with no big game releases and one of their two big service games from last year continually dropping the ball.

They need Starfield to come out and it needs to be a lot better than Fallout 4 for people to start changing their perception of their first party library. Single Player games is what gets you prestige.

Emedan

Yeah, when they deliver.
Surely it's on its way. To be honest I bought the XSX for the next Elder Scrolls (Been a fan since Morrowind).
You know, when the OG Xbox was a thing, I was the biggest of green rats. I loved the gaudy looking console and massive controller - it felt like a proper console designed for console gamers. I loved the games that were released - even games like Rallysport Challenge were awesome, but games like Halo, Project Gotham Racing and Jet Set Radio really set it apart from other consoles at the time.

Maybe it’s just me, but when people talk more about services than games, you know there is a problem.
I can understand that, but again. If the last gripe with Xbox is the lack of 1st party games they're well on their way to remedy it.

Emedan

Maybe when the games start coming, but ever since the last couple 360 years, their games have been dragging way behind both competitors (and I don't mean Google and Amazon).

So far, this generation hasn't produced the promises fruit. In fact, they don't have a single first-party AAA game for the entire year unless you count Grounded which has honestly been out well before 2022.

When the games come out and live up to the hype, I'll feel differently. But having all first-party games available day one means very little when month after month, season after season,, go by with no first-party games releasing.
You're right of course.

kaizenkko

Honestly, all the "good" points about Microsoft are absolutely irrelevant to me.

Gamepass is cool? Yes it is. But I already have dozens of games in my backlog, a subscription service doesn't make that much of a difference. Of course the day one releases are interesting, but it is far from being a system seller for me. MS still don't have a single relevant first-party game, except for Forza. And it's been like that for years.

And the idea of them buying publishers doesn't appeal to me at all.

Last edited:

Emedan

I feel the consensus is that the lack of first party output is the main gripe here. Well then give MS credit for moving to remedy this complain as well no? I mean they're obviously aware of it and try to fix it.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I can understand that, but again. If the last gripe with Xbox is the lack of 1st party games they're well on their way to remedy it.

Yes, but there is nothing wrong with pointing out the good and the bad. It isn't all roses with Xbox. You said it feels like some won't let go of the attitude towards Xbox One, but that is primarily because Xbox still faces the same issues as Xbox One with first party output. Yeah, I think they are getting close to fixing that issue, but seems like it is taking way longer than it should.

Laptop1991

Surely it's on its way. To be honest I bought the XSX for the next Elder Scrolls (Been a fan since Morrowind).

You might need the next Xbox at the rate TES is being made and released!.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
The OP reads like an ad and I don't get the point.

Who cares about any credit? Just enjoy their games bro.

Last edited:
You forgot to mention the easily accessible Dev Mode. I would prefer it didn't cost a single time pay of $19 but it's easily worth it for emulators. It replaced both my Raspberry Pi and the old hardware TV PC I had.

Markio128

I’m okay with the lack of 1st party at the moment because I have a Switch and PS5. What won’t change for me though is how far Xbox appears to have moved away from that initial vision. I want a console that looks like a console, with a controller that isn’t just a slight improvement on the last one. Where’s the imagination?

fermcr

Normally Nintendo, Sony and developers like Rockstar get free passes from gaming media, specifically with their games. Some big game series like Final Fantasy, COD or Mario also get free passes from gaming media.
Other developers are treated more harshly when gaming media review their games...

Jigsaah

Gold Member
When you say "we" do you mean NeoGaf specifically?

Even then I think you might be wrong. Microsoft has gotten plenty of credit here. It's just like anything else though.

Some people will never be satisfied with Microsoft, others will say their shit don't stink. Then there's a few here and there who can look at things from a consumer perspective and while not overstating how well Microsoft has handled things this gen, can still give the credit and criticism where it's due.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
When you see Xbox
Getting too much credit
Who ya gonna call?
Playstation Nation!

When Xbox gets praised
That's just unacceptable
So who should ya call?
PlayStation Nation!

Xw6dnFj.png

Chukhopops

I feel the consensus is that the lack of first party output is the main gripe here. Well then give MS credit for moving to remedy this complain as well no? I mean they're obviously aware of it and try to fix it.
I wouldn’t call that consensus, just the loudest posters repeating it ad nauseum.
Not releasing a single 1st party title in a full 12 months? That's an accomplishment I've never seen before
Grounded isn’t first party?

Emedan

Yes, but there is nothing wrong with pointing out the good and the bad. It isn't all roses with Xbox. You said it feels like some won't let go of the attitude towards Xbox One, but that is primarily because Xbox still faces the same issues as Xbox One with first party output. Yeah, I think they are getting close to fixing that issue, but seems like it is taking way longer than it should.
I respect that. Also I can probably agree, to be honest it's been the same the past 15 years at least "HALO, Forza" etc. But at least they're moving in the right direction. Yes, it is taking too long I agree. But it my post is also in general about MS place in the gaming market, lack of 1st party games doesn't make them viable for such hatred. Most games aren't first party games. If you get what I mean (no excuse of course but just making a point - should be both)

kaizenkko

You are completely wrong. MS is "virtually" expanding it's first-party catalog. Why I say that? Think about Bethesda, for example. Bethesda use to be a sustainable multiplataform developer, able to develop games by themselves, without needing massive financial assistance. Bethesda games, like the next The Elder Scolls, would be released for Xbox anyway. You understand? MS is not developing new games for its audience, it has simply taken away the possibility of some games also being played on a Playstation.

Last edited:

adamsapple

You forgot to mention the easily accessible Dev Mode. I would prefer it didn't cost a single time pay of $19 but it's easily worth it for emulators. It replaced both my Raspberry Pi and the old hardware TV PC I had.

You don't even need dev mode to access emulators now.

Retroarch is available in Retail.

Last edited:

Emedan

You are completely wrong. MS is "virtually" expanding it's first-party catalog. Why I say that? Think about Bethesda, for example. Bethesda use to be a sustainable multiplataform developer, able to develop games by themselves, without needing massive financial assistance. Bethesda games, like the next The Elder Scolls, would be released for Xbox anyway. You understand? MS is not developing new games for its audience, it has simply taken away the possibility of some games also being played on a Playstation.
I don't doubt Bethesda could do that. But I think MS want to tie gamers to their platform and that's why they buy these studios. And actually you're right, it is virtual, they had the games already. But a lot of posters here say MS lacks 1st party games, they're getting them.

Topher

Gold Member
I respect that. Also I can probably agree, to be honest it's been the same the past 15 years at least "HALO, Forza" etc. But at least they're moving in the right direction. Yes, it is taking too long I agree. But it my post is also in general about MS place in the gaming market, lack of 1st party games doesn't make them viable for such hatred. Most games aren't first party games. If you get what I mean (no excuse of course but just making a point - should be both)

Well, I think you have to separate "hatred" from warriors who are going to hate no matter what from legit criticism. Xbox is lightyears away from where they were with Xbox One if only because the console wasn't built on a ridiculous premise that had to be trashed one year after launch (forced kinetic). Xbox Series X is a fantastic piece of hardware. Game Pass is a great service. I'm enjoying xCloud much more than I thought I would, for example. Now they have to close the gap and start delivering the games.

Emedan

Well, I think you have to separate "hatred" from warriors who are going to hate no matter what from legit criticism. Xbox is lightyears away from where they were with Xbox One if only because the console wasn't built on a ridiculous premise that had to be trashed one year after launch (forced kinetic). Xbox Series X is a fantastic piece of hardware. Game Pass is a great service. I'm enjoying xCloud much more than I thought I would, for example. Now they have to close the gap and start delivering the games.
You're right, "hatred" isn't really the word to use. But let's say they're unjustly scrutinized because of what happened back in XBO days?!

adamsapple

I'm just don't think as many people are dwelling on Xbox One as you think they are.

They've had to work real hard to get most of the Xbox One stank off of the brand name and they've done an admirable job so far.

2022 has not been the best in terms of first party output with only Grounded, Pentiment, As Dusk Falls and the console version of Flight Sim as XBS published games, but 2023 seems like it'll make up for it with Forza, Starfield, Redfall (and possibly more).

Game Pass has been MS's biggest thing in 2022 and it gets the deserved credit where their own development studios have not delivered, IMO.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
Well not dwell maybe, it is forgotten mostly. But the reputation seem to still be suffering from those days.

They've had to work real hard to get most of the Xbox One stank off of the brand name and they've done an admirable job so far.

2022 has not been the best in terms of first party output with only Grounded, Pentiment, As Dusk Falls and the console version of Flight Sim as XBS published games, but 2023 seems like it'll make up for it with Forza, Starfield, Redfall (and possibly more).

Game Pass has been MS's biggest thing in 2022 and it gets the deserved creditt where their own development studios have not delivered, IMO.

Are you guys also going to ignore the last 2-3 years of the xbox 360 generation where they completely fumbled the bag as far as 1st party/exclusive games go or does that not count?

Because that's the momentum (or lack thereof) that they carried into the Xbox One generation and it's something they are still trying to fix now a decade later.

The "no games" and "Forza, halo, gears" associations didn't just pop up out of nowhere overnight. The rot was really allowed to set in.

But thanks for the weekend ad thread, I appreciate the effort.

Last edited:

Fredrik

I love Gamepass, have it prepaid til 2024 for $5/month. I praise it all the time. And so do the majority or am I wrong?

But giving MS credit this year?
Hmm, no.

Seriously, this year MS has been sleeping, there is no other way to sum it up. It has reached the point that I rarely even use my Xbox, kids play Minecraft Dungeon, The Witness, Jewel Quest, Viva Pinata, that’s about it. I did play Immortality, might’ve tried something else too but clearly nothing important since I can’t remember it.

The upside is their PC strategy, I’m just about to try A Plague Tale and Scorn on PC, it’ll be interesting. Pentiment could be interesting too, looks like a flash game though, and MS Flight Sim on a 4090 should be cool as well.

Hopefully next year is better.

Top Bottom