• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Microsoft isn’t getting its deserved credit.

I would still argue GP is going to reduce the amount of quality content down the line and will massively push monetizing in every aspect of gamedesign to stay viable after the growth phase is over.

Long / massive quality sp games are not going to make a lot of sense going forward. Sneaky thing is, games that are already in development distort my prediction, but the key thing here is that they have started without GP in mind. I’m talking 2025 and beyond.
All CEOs want are console games monetized like portable games. But nobody would buy a console to play these games (I hope). But I suspect that gamepass would lead in that direction.

Nope, anything that has legs makes any kind of sense on a registration service, these SP games will have no reason to exist, maybe episodic content could make sense? But that has not worked much so far as a model for video games.

Petopia

Banned
How Microsoft isn’t getting its deserved credit.

I understand that after the debacle that was the Xbox One reveal we’ve all been a bit hesitant to cut MS some slack (and believe me I was part of the band wagon back then - and it was deserved). But come on, today, they should get more credit for what they’ve done to the industry (in regards to history and since Spencers take over)

Microsoft have been investing huge amounts of money, time and thought in projects that are beneficial for us as gamers. Let’s just take a few examples.

GamePass.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen someone complaining about this but big picture wise I don’t think people give it the credit that it is due. It’s a great affordable service. I work in IT so I understand why MS is pushing it but in this instance its a positive for their business (long term) and the consumer.

Backwards compatibility.

I am amazed at how MS have introduced all generation Backwards Compatibility for so many games (not all). I’ts really a great feature. An anecdote from my own life. I bought and XSX instead of buying a new PC (I’ve mainly been a PC game for the past 20 years) because with age I couldn’t really justify spending 2000 dollars on a new PC instead of 600 for a console - I don’t play as much anymore since I don’t have the time. Why an XSX then? Well disregarding GamePass when I understood that I could put a disc in the console from any generation and be fairly certain I would be able to play the game i was astonished (that is how it’s been on PC always). My favorite console game franchise has been MGS since I watched my brother play it in the late 90s and myself playing MGS 2 and MGS 3 on his PS2. I was astonished that I now could buy the Xbox 360 MGS HD Collection and just put it in my console and play (and I have), what joy. These games I haven’t played for 15 years.

Messaging.

I think MS and the Xbox division has been great these past years when it comes to trying to deliver a product that is most enjoyable and available to the most amount of customers. Platform agnosticism, GP, BC what have you. It really shows that they understand. I know some will say that this is a detriment to the development of games (like MS wanting games to be available on as many platforms as possible), and it might be but in the end that’s cause we’re enthusiasts, but I’ve been thinking and for especially many younger people this is giving them an in to the entertainment we enjoy so much. I think the hammer hit the nail with the documentary MS released on youtube this spring ”Power On”, they were humble and admitted to their mistakes (Don’t know how few times I’ve seen that since the 90s)

There’s probably more to say about this, I think for instance that the RROD debacle was handled properly in the end and that there’s multiple companies that would’ve done way worse. MS is willing to look to consumer satisfaction to build a stable business model and I think that is the best we can hope for of any large company as consumers ourselves (and believe me last gen Sony did absolutely the same, but they’re not receiving the same hate).

So this is not a Console War thread, I don’t care about that, I just wanted to share some revelations I’ve had the past years - like I said I've been mainly a PC game and the last console I bought before the XSX was a PS4, and before that the original Xbox - and before that GC. What you all think, have I perhaps left out some scummy behavior or do they indeed deserve some credit?
Gamepass is the worst argument cause we know most dudes won't be completing those games cause they didn't waste any money on them as opposed to if they did spend the money on games like the medium, outriders and now scorn what a great place to play. Doesn't help that you can play on mobile and PC too which isn't helping the Xbox console very much.

Petopia

Banned
They will get people's respect once they start producing banger of games. So far they have only managed to offer games cheap and talk sweetly to gamers. That won't cut it for most.
Like halo infinite, that being said we already have flops like the medium and scorn.

Synless

Care to elaborate. You called their BC program half assed next to the competitor. Which competitor has a full assed BC program by comparison ?
no-i-dont-think-i-will.gif

I explained it in great detail in another thread. It’s In my post history somewhere if your interested.

I will clarify one point though. I stated being half assed does not make it a great implementation even if a competitor isn’t doing it as well… key point I think you missed.

Emedan

Gamepass is the worst argument cause we know most dudes won't be completing those games cause they didn't waste any money on them as opposed to if they did spend the money on games like the medium, outriders and now scorn what a great place to play. Doesn't help that you can play on mobile and PC too which isn't helping the Xbox console very much.
I don't know about that one, I've been playing so much games lately, games I would've never played if they weren't part of gamepass, Psychonauts 2 probably being one of the greatest games I've played the last decade.

Also I'm sorry for anyone responding to this thread and haven't heard from me, I've been away and could've never imagined this engagement - also apparently I got Gold somehow? Did someone gift this to me or what happened? Can't seem to find out from notifications, thank you and also to the rest of you.

Petopia

Banned
I don't know about that one, I've been playing so much games lately, games I would've never played if they weren't part of gamepass, Psychonauts 2 probably being one of the greatest games I've played the last decade.

Also I'm sorry for anyone responding to this thread and haven't heard from me, I've been away and could've never imagined this engagement - also apparently I got Gold somehow? Did someone gift this to me or what happened? Can't seem to find out from notifications, thank you and also to the rest of you.
Sure you been playing all of them or dropping them like a rock.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Gamepass is washing peoples brains.
It is devaluing gaming and leading to it's GAASening.
Death of high value single player games. Death on innovation. Death of physical.
Own nothing and be happy yadayadayada.

Xbox gets TOO MUCH credit for nothing. Only things they are doing are toxic for the industry from monopolization to sub services.
And Phil is the worst. How can anyone believe his "we all happy, we all play down here" bs

Banjo64

cumsessed
Death of high value single player games. Death on innovation. Death of physical.

Xbox gets TOO MUCH credit for nothing. Only things they are doing are toxic for the industry from monopolization to sub services.
And Phil is the worst. How can anyone believe his "we all happy, we all play down here" bs
What if it results in more games like Tinykin, Ori and Tunic because MS can front the cost for talented but poor devs?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
What if it results in more games like Tinykin, Ori and Tunic because MS can front the cost for talented but poor devs?
It doesn't.
These games always existed no matter if gamepass existed,
The only thing this means is that these gamess will be less independant... maybe it's good for indie devs, maybe not. Probably depends.

Anyway. Couple small cool indie games are there just to cover the whole gaas/sub stink. PSN++ also launched with Stray....

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
As someone that doesn’t have a ton of time time to game, being a husband and father of 3, something like Game Pass is the absolute best thing to happen in gaming, ever.

As I grown older, I’ve lost the FOMO feeling. So this is the first generation I since they’ve joined the gaming ring, that I am not going to own a PlayStation. Too many anti-gamer choices and inferior subscription made it an easy choice to go with Xbox/Switch only this generation.

Cloud gaming has been a thing of beauty. It just works. I am a T-Mobile subscriber and have an iPhone 12 Pro Max with 5Guc. Anywhere I game, my down/up mobile connection is always 690/80 or better. Then there in my house with my wife which is even better. But when I’m at home, if I’m not playing on the tv, I’m playing on my phone via remote play.

Backbone controller is a must for mobile Xbox play. I just played Persona 5 on my phone, through the game pass on my lunch break.

Sorry for the wall of text. Just been wanting to spew out my appreciation to MS for a service like Game Pass. Next gen, I might not even buy a console. Cloud has proven to be 100% great.

Hell, cloud gaming even works great at home for Shadow PC to play high end PC VR games on my Quest 2, using the Remote Desktop. But that’s another story.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
As someone that doesn’t have a ton of time time to game, being a husband and father of 3, something like Game Pass is the absolute best thing to happen in gaming, ever.

As I grown older, I’ve lost the FOMO feeling. So this is the first generation I since they’ve joined the gaming ring, that I am not going to own a PlayStation. Too many anti-gamer choices and inferior subscription made it an easy choice to go with Xbox/Switch only this generation.

Cloud gaming has been a thing of beauty. It just works. I am a T-Mobile subscriber and have an iPhone 12 Pro Max with 5Guc. Anywhere I game, my down/up mobile connection is always 690/80 or better. Then there in my house with my wife which is even better. But when I’m at home, if I’m not playing on the tv, I’m playing on my phone via remote play.

Backbone controller is a must for mobile Xbox play. I just played Persona 5 on my phone, through the game pass on my lunch break.

Sorry for the wall of text. Just been wanting to spew out my appreciation to MS for a service like Game Pass. Next gen, I might not even buy a console. Cloud has proven to be 100% great.

Hell, cloud gaming even works great at home for Shadow PC to play high end PC VR games on my Quest 2, using the Remote Desktop. But that’s another story.
The new PS sub is pretty competitive and got good games on there too.
But in your situation, steam deck sounds pretty good

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
The new PS sub is pretty competitive and got good games on there too.
But in your situation, steam deck sounds pretty good
My buddy has one, and it seems great. Next gen, Steam Deck (or something equivalent to it) will be all I need. It will have game pass and late sony ports. Plus the few steam sales I’ll take advantage of too, haha.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
My buddy has one, and it seems great. Next gen, Steam Deck (or something equivalent to it) will be all I need. It will have game pass and late sony ports. Plus the few steam sales I’ll take advantage of too, haha.
Dude, once steam deck will have 16:9 oled screen with smaller borders? perfection.
Could be a bit lighter too. That thing weights a ton

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Dude, once steam deck will have 16:9 oled screen with smaller borders? perfection.
Could be a bit lighter too. That thing weights a ton
Yeah, something like that will be my next/only big gaming purchase for a long time. Well, besides whatever Nintendo does. Have to have a Nintendo in the house.

What would be great too is when Microsoft finally releases their streaming stick. I don’t imagine that will cost much. But I will only get it if it streams 4k.

Xbox cloud and remote play need to have better resolution and allow for HDR.

Last edited:

Petopia

Banned

Them 1% completion rates on them Xbox achievements makes it the cherry on top of a shit sundae.

Top Bottom