• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Microsoft isn’t getting its deserved credit.

GHG

Gold Member
Hm don't know if that's fair, if you look at Phils track record the last few years, might not have been his vision?!

Yeh he was abducted and mind controlled by aliens from 2009-2020.

Poor guy.

The start of the Don Mattrick era. Nobody is ignoring that. He's the guy that nearly killed Xbox. You just seem utterly devastated that he didn't make it happen.

So devestated that I even purchased an Xbox One to play the few exclusives I wanted to at the time. I failed him.

I don't know how to track which games started development after 2008 but anyone can look up the list of games XBS published 2008 onwards, and between 2008 and 2010 they put out quite a bunch of bangers. And then after 2010~2011, Kinect happened and they had a big shift in what came out. Aka the Mattrick era.

I want to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you're not a stupid person. You know how long on average it takes to develop AAA games these days you can work it out. It's just that you don't want to admit someone who is put up on a pedestal is at fault for the dire run of 1st party output they had for a whole decade. The only thing consistent about Xbox during that period of time was his presence.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Going by the Most Played Xbox charts (let alone Steam charts), no it's not. I mean even supposing the Xbox population is 20x that of Steam's for the game, 60K concurrent peak for a flagship marquee MP-centric IP on its home territory of millions isn't really great IMHO.

Player numbers could very well be a lot more skewed in favor of consoles than that. The game is still in the top 50 most played on Xbox and is getting more engagement than Elden Ring on the platform at this point. The game had a single player campaign outside the multiplayer, thus the multiplayer not having the sustained hype/engagement they may have hoped for doesn't tell the full story of the game.

ZoolNL

They absolutely have the best services and best way of helping people enjoying the Xbox experience. Too bad they don’t deliver on the gaming side…

i was a playstation guy, and xbox brute force turned me into an xbox gamer. I'll never forget the stark contrast between when i first booted up an Xbox One......and without prompting it began to download a ton of games. Then the first time i turned on my PS4 Pro.......and i had NOTHING. it felt like such a big middle finger. Like screw u loyal playstation customer go rebuy everything u dumb fck

Last edited:
I could say that too, I mean AOEs success was probably part of why they even got in.

Though MS lack of 1st Party games have always been the issue, isn't all these acquisitions a step in the right direction then?
The acquisitions are a step in the right direction, but what concerns me is will these long anticipated offerings live up to expectations and hype? The longer these games take to create, imo the more pressure is on the developers and Microsoft to deliver.

hinch7

Not sure where OP is coming from... Game Pass gets praised all the time. And their BC has always been great.

Its just their output of games *last gen and this one.. from their own first party, that needs to deliver and on a consistant basis. Which tbf they should with the amount of new studio's they own, going forward.

Last edited:
Microsoft definitely gets credit for features and services like Gamepass and backwards compatibility. “Best value in gaming” for example. What they really need to work on is their first party output and making sure they can deliver high quality AAA or even AA exclusives on a consistent basis like Nintendo and Sony. The acquisitions are a start, but I just wonder if their offerings can deliver and live up to the inevitable hype they will probably garner. Sure, hopefully they’ll finally solve their proverbial first party issue, but will the games finally be on par with the competition especially after such long waiting and development periods?

Last edited:

DragonNCM

MS well played this & they have my credit for it (-HALO FUCK UP).
From only Sony fun in the past, I got XSS this generation & gamepass.
I believe there are more gamers like me this generation.

nocsi

Might be, but sometimes it feels like I'm back after the Xbox One reveal 10 years ago and I just don't feel that's valid anymore. It's like nothing has changed thought it all has.

Why you don't like MS? As an IT consultant I work with their products every day and I think they're best in business (Azure, Exchange, MS365)
As a consultant that actually has worked on MS products (Azure, MS365, etc). Even the teams hate MS. You can tell when someone actually works at MS, they don’t want to actually dog food

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Yeah Hot Wheels is fantastic, but why not release it as a stand-alone game? It’s an all new map, new mechanics, plays nothing like og FH5 and people will miss it and forget it even released. It’s as if Insomniac would’ve hidden Miles Morales inside of Spider-Man. Same goes for Hivebusters at launch. I don’t understand their thinking, they’re throwing great content under the bus. Do they need DLC money because of the day 1 Gamepass strategy?

hivebisters was free? I never paid for it

hot wheels is part of Forza horizon and has been before

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
their problem is they lack exclusives like playstation does at the moment.
and their stars (halo) are a 7 at best
the last of us is not a 7

Beechos

Personally microsofts qol, ease of use and their ecosystem makes the xbox the default console for me. There are too many games to play to worry about them having exclusives to make me happy. Its not like when they start releasing 5-8 exclusives a year all these people complaining about exclusives will buy them all anyway.

DeaDPo0L84

Gamepass wasn't at launch or today something I give a shit about. It's obvious it's having a negative impact on the quality of first party titles. Sure Forza Horizon is great but they have a winning formula and have for quite sometime.

Throwing Halo on there from 043 studios who couldn't even get the paid versions right was a mistake. I'm not gonna force myself to play through shit cause it's free when my time isn't.

Honestly I feel like they've put themselves in a box with gamepass and it won't end well. Also with their history of how they've managed their own properties, seeing them gobble up major studios does nothing but make me sigh at the thought of future franchises I love becoming shit.

None of this is cause "I HaTe XbOx derrr". But they've been in this "figuring shit out" phase since the Xbox One blunder and its sad. I enjoy wrestling, I am happy AEW is a thing and having success cause it forces WWE to push harder and break out of their shell. Competition is great, and I'm not gonna pretend that Playstation is faultless but I'd love Microsoft to be better than they are so it pushes Sony to take more risk.

But when their biggest announcements are I can now play 500 games I didn't give a shit about before but hey they're free now! Or that they've purchased yet another major studio, those aren't things I care about. It's like a rich kid hoarding all the toys just to spite his friends when they don't really appreciate it to begin with.

Just give me good shit to play and I'll be there (on pc), just like I did with the latest Horizon. I've also sunk a ton of hours into Sea of Thieves with my wife and even people on this forum. But I'm not gonna be a cheerleader for a major corporation cause I feel like they need me to protect them from internet bullies, that's just absurdity.

Emedan

As a consultant that actually has worked on MS products (Azure, MS365, etc). Even the teams hate MS. You can tell when someone actually works at MS, they don’t want to actually dog f
I have worked on them and they've made my life easier, what about it? I'll answer you all later (maybe)

Emedan

So the fuck what. Its a gigantic company that doesn’t give a fuck about you. What you work for their pr team?
They do give a fuck about me, as long as I keep paying my subscription that is, that's a SaaS

I want to thank you all, responding to my thread, I never would've thought it'll be this this interesting and with so many replies.

Last edited:

Emedan

So the fuck what. Its a gigantic company that doesn’t give a fuck about you. What you work for their pr team?
I do not work for them, I just said what I did Cause I thought it was fair (Again I work with some of their services which i enjoy, but I'm no fanboy -they do make my life.easier though)

Emedan

You made a whole thread because you felt insecure about people taking shots at a Trillion dollar company you have no parts of 😂
Not at all, they can take care of themselves, I just felt that some of their genuine achievements weren't appreciated. They don't deserve the hatred that's all

Last edited:

8BiTw0LF

Banned
So this is not a Console War thread
james franco GIF

SLB1904

Banned
Couldn't give a shot about any of that. Give games I want to play I'm sorted. Not here to pat these companies on the back

Last edited:

tmlDan

I could say that too, I mean AOEs success was probably part of why they even got in.

Though MS lack of 1st Party games have always been the issue, isn't all these acquisitions a step in the right direction then?
See, why do they have to money hat everything? since MS has so much money they have the ability to create studios, foster game dev education programs, educate and bring in talent from university partnerships to build into their ecosystem.

There are so many ways they can go about it but they go about it the lazy way, use their software monopoly to subsidize and remove popular franchises from other platforms

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
Not sure where OP is coming from... Game Pass gets praised all the time. And their BC has always been great.

Its just their output of games *last gen and this one.. from their own first party, that needs to deliver and on a consistant basis. Which tbf they should with the amount of new studio's they own, going forward.

It's strange because he's someone who hasn't posted for months and then suddenly comes back with the purpose of creating this thread and attempting to convince anyone who has said otherwise throughout.

Hey Microsoft, if you want to buy my account from me it's yours for 2 million dollars.

I Master l

Banned
True, I see little praise for the XSX hardware which is one of if not the best engineered console ever, It's a masterpiece

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
True, I see little praise for the XSX hardware which is one of if not the best engineered console ever, It's a masterpiece

Sure there is. Every time there is a DF thread and XSX renders more pixels than PS5 which has been the norm for most games the last year or so. Other than that, most of the other aspects of the hardware was discussed thoroughly the most before and after launch. The hardware doesn't change so there isn't much new to talk about.

Razvedka

Banned
GamePass.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen someone complaining about this but big picture wise I don’t think people give it the credit that it is due. It’s a great affordable service. I work in IT so I understand why MS is pushing it but in this instance its a positive for their business (long term) and the consumer.
How does working in IT translate to insight to mega-corporate business decisions? I'm a senior software engineer with a Masters in Cybersecurity. Doesn't mean that any assessment on my part of Gamepass's viability as a service/value has anything to do with my technical skillsets or degree(s).

Last edited:

Jaybe

How does working in IT translate to insight to mega-corporate business decisions? I'm a senior software engineer with a Masters in Cybersecurity. Doesn't mean that any assessment on my part of Gamepass's viability as a service/value has anything to do with my technical skillsets or degree(s).
Probably as it relates to Microsoft’s and other IT corporations push to subscription based software versus ownership? That’s how I took it and it seemed appropriate.

ungalo

Gamepass comes with pros and cons regarding the industry. I have Gamepass but i have mixed feelings about it. Not something i want to put emphasis on.

I think backward compatibility and the impact they had on how it's perceived these last few years is their biggest achievement, it's objectively positive in every way.

The hardware is also generally good.

But my focus always has been what they have to put on the table as a developer and publisher, on that front it's more or less a complete disaster, particulary considering they have hardware and subscriptions to sell, they should have been a major actor of this industry. I honestly understand that some people can't take them seriously anymore just for that, there's probably petty console war mixed in all this, but i also think they completely deserve the lack of credibility they have.

And that's even more disturbing when you know where they come from, what they did for PC and console gaming, the connections they once had, the IP they put out...all of that legacy seem wasted, like they regressed to the point of becoming a newbie again, in certain area at least (a lot of that can also be consequences of bad luck, or justifiable choices in a way, i'm not saying they're just dumb and clueless).

Of course they're still Microsoft, they still invest a lot, so it's never going to be all bad, it never was at any point. And even regarding games, i think the fact they're pretty conservative, lacking ideas or understanding of changes in the industry can also give some charm to their games, sticking with a classic vibe, a lot of classic genre, PC oriented or old IP, i don't know if we can call that an identity, but i appreciate the fact they're "genre focused" and pretty varied in what they propose. It's really the opposite of Sony who wants a strong modern approach and a standardization in a sense.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
The best thing MS did for gaming was give us windows and indirectly Steam. The god of gaming platforms. For this, we all should be eternally grateful that we are not stuck with macintosh and apple shit show for our PC gaming needs.

That said, it's been a year with no first party exclusive game release on xbox, so the timing of this thread is mid tier trash level. Sorry OP.

You’re right about windows and steam, but Xbox used to be great too. OG Xbox was kinda sick.

-JSRF
-Panzer Dragoon Orta
-Ninja Gaiden Black
-Halo
-Dead or Alive
-Morrowind
-KOTOR
-Fable

They were actually out there securing some nice games. Then the 360 came along and was fucking awesome. Summer of XBLA. The real birth of console online multiplayer. Yea the hardware failure was real and I went through several but it was a great console.

They lost their way transitioning from 360 to Xbone and never really turned it around. I still like gamepass tho and I can’t wait for some of their games. FH5 was my GOTY last year and I still play it often. They have good devs.

You get as much praise as you deserve.

As others already pointed out, they came third in the console war, so by the maths they have less supporters. If Xbox gave you what you need in gaming then good for you, but people who are not using Xbox products are not going to praise what they didn't use.

Haggard

Banned
I feel the consensus is that the lack of first party output is the main gripe here. Well then give MS credit for moving to remedy this complain as well no? I mean they're obviously aware of it and try to fix it.
You don't get credit for trying.
This isn't kindergarten where everyone gets a participation medal. They have been trying and promising for longer than one gen now.....
And instead of delivering on the AAA pipeline we now have a netflix clone for B tier games and soon a rebranding of 3rd party IPs.

Last edited:

Beechos

See, why do they have to money hat everything? since MS has so much money they have the ability to create studios, foster game dev education programs, educate and bring in talent from university partnerships to build into their ecosystem.

There are so many ways they can go about it but they go about it the lazy way, use their software monopoly to subsidize and remove popular franchises from other platforms

Because all these companies people keep fighting for/defending are not your friends. They are here to try to make money, increase market share/mindshare, please their stock holders. What fairy tale have you been living where companies follow a path of honor and righteousness?

Swift_Star

Banned

OP don’t like that people actually like other platforms rather than Xbox

feynoob

Banned
The "no games" and "Forza, halo, gears" associations didn't just pop up out of nowhere overnight. The rot was really allowed to set in.
That is attributed the lack of 1st party studios.
5 studios wont be able to support a gaming console for entire generation.

MS played around during x360, and forget what is like to have in house 1st party studios, hence the "no games console".

DavidGzz

It's simple. There are way more fans of Nintendo and Sony on here and people like to talk shit about huge successful companies. Apple, Walmart, Mcdonald's, Microsoft, etc are have legions of haters.

Top Bottom