• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How much do you notice minor (non-game breaking) glitches? Do they bother you?

To preface this topic, I was playing Horizon Burning Shores last night and couldn't help but notice that for being a AAA first party game it still has a fair amount of buggy occurrences and glitches within real time cutscenes.

For example, the opening cutscene to the DLC has major LOD pop in. This is something the average person would be able to notice.

But once you reach the initial settlement, there was a cutscene that had some minor Horizon-isms such as Alloy's hair bouncing in strange ways when the camera cuts back to her, one of the male characters delivered a line of dialogue and then in the following camera cut I could see the top of his head in the bottom left corner of the image as his character model was literally pulled off of the screen.

In one of the closeups of the new Asian girl I noticed her pony tail was rather stiff and wasn't holding weight like real hair, she then tilted her head back and her pony tail reacted realistically swaying from side to side. When she tilted her head back upright, her pony tail went stiff again.

Instances such as these are not solely linked to Horizon either. Games like Assassins Creed Origins or Ghost of Tsushima have plenty of moments like these mainly because you can change your characters outfits. I remember that if you put the long beard on Bayek and put his hood up in the customization menu, his beard will clip through the edges of the hood in cutscenes. GoT has glitches where Jin's helmet, arms or hands with clip through certain outfits.

Clothing in real time cutscenes is largely the most common contributor of this as well as anything that's physics based like strands of hair.

I've even noticed bugs like these in Naughty Dog games such as Uncharted 4. In one scene inside the clock tower, the wall behind Nate and Sully starts out as a low quality texture for a split second and then loads in.

Again, none of these glitches are game breaking. And for me at least they never get to the point of ruining my time with a game. But if you have a keen eye and like becoming immersed in games they can drive you slightly crazy if they happen often. Even if you really enjoy the game.

Do any of you pay attention to minor things like this? How does it effect your overall enjoyment of a game?

killatopak

Gold Member
I’m fine with graphical glitches.

It’s glitches that affect gameplay, savefiles and break quest lines that frustrate me.

Esca

I can deal with most stuff and don't care about a lot of it either and I'm moderation most don't effect the experience, but when it's bad? No thanks.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Clothes and hair clipping through stuff at least on the main character does kind of bother me. I have deactivated cosmetic outfits before because of this.
And sometimes just little things bother me, like in Miles Morales, if you stand at the edge of a ledge you have one foot just floating in mid air. Seems like the kinda thing that could have been fixed pretty easily and it's not that uncommon for that game.
I guess it's one of those things where you don't even notice 90% of the stuff but once you do notice something you see it every time it happens.

Last edited:
Clothes and hair clipping through stuff at least on the main character does kind of bother me. I have deactivated cosmetic outfits before because of this.
And sometimes just little things bother me, like in Miles Morales, if you stand at the edge of a ledge you have one foot just floating in mid air. Seems like the kinda thing that could have been fixed pretty easily and it's not that uncommon for that game.
I guess it's one of those things where you don't even notice 90% of the stuff but once you do notice something you see it every time it happens.
Yes! The foot thing is a great example of what I'm talking about. Which is funny devs like Naughty Dog made the character hesitate or get scared on a ledge.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Bugs here and there doesn't bother me but when starts effecting gameplay and cutscene like CP2077 then yeah it does bother me.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I like glitches as long as they don't break the game. It's funny when faces disappear and leave floating eyeballs behind.

Most glitches/bugs make me laugh WAY more than they even come close to "bothering" me, the only ones that annoy me are ones that make me redo things/lose progress or break a questline

Fuz

Banned
I don't care.

Daggerfall gave me thick skin.

I'm actually kinda fine with bugs and glitches, what really irks me are design oversight. The problems that are deliberate.

Last edited:

GMCamaro

If the glitch is small and the game is functionally fine and still fun, then the ref says:

De Montfort Thumbs Up GIF

Robb

Gold Member
Depends on the game. Pop-in, clipping etc. can annoy me in big budget titles where I feel they should be able to fix that kind of stuff well before release.

Stuff like that is also a lot more annoying in games that try to go for realism.

kyussman

Like anything I spend my money on I want/expect it to be of a certain quality.I generally don't buy video games at launch because I like to wait for all those glitches to be patched out.

supernova8

Banned
Depends on the game but with FIFA, for example, I've been playing that since like FIFA 98 and hardly ever experienced any bugs whatsoever (especially graphical ones) beyond maybe the game just crashing or hanging (very rarely).

I always wonder how people make those FIFA graphics glitch compilations. Surely they're either stealing other people's footage or they're just really really really unlucky... or they know how to make certain glitches more likely to appear.

Last edited:

brian0057

Banned
I know this thread is BS because Bethesda built their whole career making broken pieces of shit and people still ate it up.
So those saying "only graphical bugs and glitches" bother them, are lying.

Olimbox

Neo Member
don't know if you consider it minor bugs, but I stopped playing cp2077 in vr because of all npc weird bugs, going throw walls, walking 1 meter in the air, etc. broke the immersion completely

Top Bottom