• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How much is Digital Foundry opinion important to you?

MonarchJT

Banned
for me are the best outlet out there when talking about technical explanation/comparation it would appear that there is pressure to bring out other competitors (particularly one) by declaring them more competent But I believe this is due to the fact that some outlets prefer one console over another ( which is evident in the various comparisons ) and people prefer these outlets based on which console they love the most. I have followed DF since their birth and for me, although they absolutely do not influence my choices, they continue to be the best in what they do

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I find it incredibly interesting, especially when Alex does a deep dive on a pc port. See GOW for the most recent, and johns interesting stuff into certain retro games etc.

the one or two fps differences this gen etc are pretty pointless as it’s pretty obvious that both console versions will be more or less identical in assets etc. if this changes I will be more interested I’m seeing comparisons.

Reallink

The technology analyses are always interesting, but they focus way too much on frame rate. Not even just 60FPS+, but flawless 60FPS+. I'm convinced they would rather SX/PS5 targeted 480p untextured PS1-era wire frames if it meant game X didn't drop to 59fps during the 1 big battle scene at the end. $400-$500 closed boxes are not, and will never be, designed for that. Consoles are concession by definition.

Riky

$MSFT
There is no doubt they have talks with developers and platform holders unlike a lot of journalists who simply comment on events. They also have enough influence to actually change game development, results they have taken to developers have meant patches being produced. So people may be playing games that have been influenced by their work.
Also to be shown the Series S before anyone else by MS obviously means they are a trusted source, the console wasn't announced and they didn't want it advertised at that point but they felt comfortable to reveal it to DF.
You can also get a lot of information from their comments about hardware that have clearly come from developers, what they say tends to happen at a later date.
So agree or disagree with them but they have some influence.

Last edited:

Esppiral

The same as with any other one really, I like to hear others opinions, but that does not influence what I do think. Is healthy to hear what others think of different matters.

Tams

I value their work and they seem to be good at it.

But man, I can't bring myself to watch/listen/read anything they produce other than short snippets. It's less interesting than watching paint dry.

daveonezero

Banned
They don't really offer much in the way of opinions, do they? They just measure performance statistics.
This. I find the art and act of making an interactive digital showcase interesting that is why I am into Video games. The tech and art coming together is cool.

I like to see how things work.

buenoblue

I'm a big fan of digital foundry and I love there work. I'm just interested in how a game performs. If you own all platforms it's nice to know which is the best platform to get a game on. Also it's good to know if there's any glaring technical issues with a game before I buy.

Fredrik

Not since the PS 360 days.

The lines have been blurred. If you have to zoom in 300% to see a difference in an area not even part of the play area it's not important.

I wouldn't have found it anyway even if you told me it was there.

Since I only game on PS5 anymore I don't need to know if my version has 300 less lines of res or drops to 58 fps once. I'll never see either.

Minor differences between platforms don't bother me, I just want to know that the PS5 version is not shit. So I'm looking more for how that version looks and performs than if one or the other version has 5% higher dynamic resolution in certain situations.

If I had an XSX (which I most likely will one day) I guess it would also inform me which version is in fact better, but the differences are so small 99% of the time that it doesn't really matter.

It’s not important at all. It’s just back ground noise for me whilst I work or game.

PS/Xbox differences are so comically insignificant it’d never influence my buying decision.

I find it interesting when they look at Series S and Switch more so than the big consoles.
Precisely this!

I look at the DF videos and while they can sometimes get a reaction from me I can’t see the things they talk about when playing, unless the game is broken, and then it’s usually fixed anyway. What they say can be interesting on a theoretical level though. And their analysis is great to not fall into any serious trap with horrible performance but that’s rare today.

Last edited:
I usually use them to determine if I game I get is going to play terrible on my system. When it comes to the platforms the two are usually so close that I consider them pretty much equal.

I do like it when they go more in depth and try to explain how the tech works in the game. That’s usually more interesting to me than minor platform differences. I still don’t like Alex though and I don’t think that will change in the near future.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I like that they cover PC ports of console games. They know what PC gamers care about so it's good to hear their thoughts on a port's quality.

Outside of that, I don't really care about comparing console versions or any of that.

JimboJones

I enjoy their coverage. That's all I can really say about it.
They are really good at what they do and make entertaining and informative videos.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
I like John Linneman's new face close-ups.

Punch You Oh No GIF by GritTV

Top Bottom