• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How much is Digital Foundry opinion important to you?

kingfey

Banned
Its my popcorn time. That is how much I liked them.
Anticipation Popcorn GIF

People do fight here, when their videos gets posted here.
youtube fighting GIF

I was miffed at the lack of Psychonauts 2 coverage so I guess they are important to me.
I like the content they produce especially if it compares PC releases having issues.
They have show me what all the alphabet soup of graphic options and tech means as well.

Last edited:

Gamerguy84

Not since the PS 360 days.

The lines have been blurred. If you have to zoom in 300% to see a difference in an area not even part of the play area it's not important.

I wouldn't have found it anyway even if you told me it was there.

Since I only game on PS5 anymore I don't need to know if my version has 300 less lines of res or drops to 58 fps once. I'll never see either.

Buhaj

Not at all, I'll play on my PS5 anyway. DF performance tests and their threads on GAF are guilty pleasure.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
I like the direction of there analysis videos, somtimes I agree with them sometimes I dont.
I like it when they present a developers work and state whats going on visually and weather they like it or not and then ask the viewer what do they think, unlike NXgamer who reads off his opinion in a more matter of fact kinda way.

The problem with introducing to many opinions is that its going to effect the truthfulness of the analysis.
As I already said I perfer when they state the facts and then say if they like it or not.

Last edited:

CeeJay

I find the deep dives and their insight into the tech interesting although at the same time I find that if you have knowledge of the technology you tend to get distracted by that and are in danger of playing the tech rather than playing the game.

It's a double edged sword really and one that is all too often used for console war rather than anything else. How many times have we seen a definitive winner/loser declared over a few frames dropped here and there. At the end of the day the PS or Xbox versions of near enough every third party game are virtually identical and it seems that the more alike they become the deeper we have to dive to find the differences.

Going back to the 8 and 16 bit era different versions of the same title were often done by completely different developers and were in effect completely different games yet there didn't seem to be anywhere near as many comparisons between them done.

ParaSeoul

Digital Foundry's opinion? If its John or Rich I'll respect. Alex most of the time now.
If you're calling their analysis videos opinions,I don't know what to tell you.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Minor differences between platforms don't bother me, I just want to know that the PS5 version is not shit. So I'm looking more for how that version looks and performs than if one or the other version has 5% higher dynamic resolution in certain situations.

If I had an XSX (which I most likely will one day) I guess it would also inform me which version is in fact better, but the differences are so small 99% of the time that it doesn't really matter.

Last edited:

skit_data

I really don’t care about their opinions, but their videos can be informative and interesting. I especially like DF Retro and other ”Console launch throwback” and E3-videos.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
It’s not important at all. It’s just back ground noise for me whilst I work or game.

PS/Xbox differences are so comically insignificant it’d never influence my buying decision.

I find it interesting when they look at Series S and Switch more so than the big consoles.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I care about the data, but don't give a single fuck about their personal opinions.

Couldn't give a fuck about them. One is unlistenable with that Elmer Fudd thing going on, one is a perpetual victim and apparently there's another one who I assume is the third zilch of that cavalcade of garbage.

Last edited:
Null. Most Sony exclusive stuff are guaranteed to run well. on PC, specifically steam, I can tell from user reviews or I can test the game and refund in 2h if it runs like shit. Simple as that.

A lot actually, but only for which platform(s) to buy games on since over the years I normally have a few platforms to choose from. Usually I already know if I want a game or not when I watch their videos. Rarely have they convinced me to purchase a game or pass on a game. Otherwise it’s just for fun to stay up to date with the latest graphics techniques or engines being used in games. And of course DFRetro is always a good time.

DragonNCM

X 400 zoom & counting pixels was most important thing for me......I don't know how I will live without it......

Mr Hyde

None, but it's sometimes interesting to hear their opinion about the tech. That's all there is to it when it comes to DF really.

b0uncyfr0

I mean, they're not bad or anything. I like to know what resolution or framerate things are gonna run at, sure, but some of their 'analysis' leaves alot on the table.

That Rich guy always is thorough though, cant say the same about the others.

xion4360

They make observations and report their findings. I take in the information they put out. What the resolution is, the framerate is, what kind of content differences ect. Beyond that opinions are just that, and I dont need to feel some type of way about it.

Kilau

Gold Member
I appreciate their analysis on the tech and specs since I can buy a game on all platforms it's nice to know where the best experience is. John is my favorite and I really enjoy his retro stuff.

Holammer

I enjoy DF, on a scale from 0-10? I guess it's an 8.
Not very fond of the coverage all those "impossible" switch ports get.

less than 0, if that were possible. I play games for things like gameplay and story. I choose where to play games based on things like ecosystem, controller, friends, etc, not graphics or framerate. It doesn't bring me any pleasure knowing I have the superior version, nor does it make me sad if I'm playing the inferior version. Their only purpose at this point is to keep the console warring alive at all times, which is yet another reason why I don't care about them.

Kazza

Yep, especially Alex and his recommended PC optimised settings - very useful. I also really appreciate his unbiased look at the consoles and their games (which he is in a good position to give as a neutral PC gamer/expert).

Last edited:

Stare-Bear

Banned
Don’t mind them. They love to cause a bit of fuss (game has significant slowdown, going from 60fps to 55fps in certain areas…) that 99% of people wouldn’t notice.

Love the more enthousiast approach of NXgamer, who seems to be genuinely invested in the hardware and software.

MikeM

I like them because they use graphs and pixel counts to be objective. I also feel like I learn technical aspects of games that I was blind to before (for better or worse).

But I don’t take them as gospel. To me, games are about the total experience, so I also consider things now like Dualsense implementation, 3d audio, and stable performance. Not just purely higher pixel counts as to which machine to buy a game for.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I put all my trust and therefore purchasing of games on their pixel count assessment duh

Honestly,

To my knowledge DF brings factual assessments regarding graphical and performance aspects of videogames on a level that most of "gamers" aren't even aware of but very informative for those that do seek that level of analysis. And even though I don't frequently visit threads here based on there analysis I know that folks seem them pro Sony or pro MS (I don't care therefore i don't know). To that I will say that any form of production of content derived from neutral observement is inherently subject to subconscious bias, how minute and nuanced it may come across. That said, that bias only concerns, mostly, those who seek validation and or ammunition in console warring and doesn't apply to Joe Sixpack that's looking for a general comparison between his choice between a multi platform sports game for seeing which is best for him or her

Ie: I felt like typing that out for myself lol

Last edited:

kyussman

Not at all really.If I like a game I'm gonna play it....if it's a total technical disaster then fair enough.....but all this pixel counting and framerate stuff,don't care.

Top Bottom