• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How much is Digital Foundry opinion important to you?

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Its important because they have visibility so they can push lazy publishers to optimize their titles on PC. For example RE Village or Horizon Zero Dawn PC. You have to have devs and publishers on a tight leash as an end user on PC, otherwise they get away with murder.

So you see value in them regarding they're acting like a sort of consumer benchmark that creates awareness and therefore informs consumers causing publishers to take note or else kind of thing? That's pretty cool <3

It's not. I don't care and I won't stop buying a game if it dips one frame or if I zoom in 20x there's something wrong with a shadow far away.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
It's not. I don't care and I won't stop buying a game if it dips one frame or if I zoom in 20x there's something wrong with a shadow far away.

Good for you. Many would.

It's just a case of a vocal minority taking this content to such a extreme that said contents baseline value transforms into something different. In this case some nitpicky drama used as ammunition for our resident console warrior children.

As in; bu bu but the Series X version drops 6 frames during this particular segment that lasts 5 seconds therefore my choice for team Sony is validated whauaoqpowhegdhahahavwhshavwvwusyshwlaavashhshs

😛🤣

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

I think they do a pretty good job. They show the differences but also comment on how small some of the things we claim to be a “win” or a “lose” usually are.

Ceadeus

Me watching DF

Bored Season 3 GIF by The Office
steve sleeping GIF

I enjoy their videos and find them interesting. It's good to know what the more demanding settings are or when the difference between say high and ultra is negligible from a visual standpoint but is impactful for performance. Chances are, if it's a game that I want to play, I've already bought it before their tech review is released so rarely, if ever, has any impact on my purchasing.

Fucking LOL at all the people that deeply offended by their videos too.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
I really enjoy their work when they show the practical IQ and performance differences of each game's settings. That's their best work by far.

As for opinions on which games to play in which platform, or what platform is significantly best etc., I value John's, Richard's and Thomas' opinions. I don't value Alex's opinion.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
They are closer to a news channel than an op'ed channel.

I watch them for the analysis, in theory objective analysis, if he shows a low res textures and then its a low res texture whether his opinion is the texture doesnt look bad or not, its a low res texture.
They count pixels whatever number they get is what they report....they dont have an opinion on the matter.

Fbh

I like their videos, I find them informative and interesting, specially when they look at remasters or ports or in times such as these where they give you an in depth look at the differences on cross gen games. But they only have an effect on my purchasing decision if they report on something like heavy performance issues, bad PC ports or big noticeable difference between multiple versions of a game.

The way some people here react to 20X zoomed in pictures or a slight framerate difference in a single cutscene or sequence of a 40 hours long game is somewhere between funny and pathetic though. As are the people who genuinely seem to think these guys are only doing their job as some sort of long term campaign to undermine Xbox or Playstation.

Kssio_Aug

Not important at all. I trust their technical analysis, but I don't really give a fuck, except if they show something that would turn the game unplayable to me (that, at this moment, I don't remember that ever being the case).

If the game is running at an HD display and is not broken, as long as it's good in it's content and mechanics, I can most certainly play and enjoy it. I'm a simple man.

MiguelItUp

I don't fully abide by anyone's opinion, let alone some stranger/content creator on the internet. If there's a person I follow that shares the same opinions that I have, then they'll have my attention, but even then, I'm not going to take what they have to say as 100% fact. Especially when it comes to something as subjective as various forms of entertainment.

I just really enjoy watching DF's breakdown videos regarding performance and optimization of games and ports. I think they do an excellent job with those, and the amount of work they put into them shows it IMO.

Like any reviewer, I don't give a single fuck what they think, or say.
Exactly, and you shouldn't. It trips me out that there are people over the age of 20 that read/hear reviews of something, and then just run with it. They don't even think to experience something on their own, and it's wild. I mean, to each their own of course, I just think it's pretty sad. Especially when that person could potentially be missing out on things they'd enjoy because they never bothered.

saintjules

Since I have both a Series X and PS5, I take the listen to learn the comparisons between both Consoles when it comes to a game being discussed. It does help sometimes to get an understanding which 3rd party game will run better on whichever system is discussed. Then I'll take into account my own thoughts as to which Console would be better to play x game on, especially based on additional features one has over the other. Then purchase said game for the specific Console.

I don't always take their analysis too seriously, but it's cool to learn something from their presentations.

Good for you. Many would.

It's just a case of a vocal minority taking this content to such a extreme that said contents baseline value transforms into something different. In this case some nitpicky drama used as ammunition for our resident console warrior children.

As in; bu bu but the Series X version drops 6 frames during this particular segment that lasts 5 seconds therefore my choice for team Sony is validated whauaoqpowhegdhahahavwhshavwvwusyshwlaavashhshs

😛🤣
Nowadays it isn't that bad. Remember the first few PS4 x Xbox One face-offs? My god...those days were interesting to say the least, lmao.

Gamerguy84

I do enjoy how they interview the developer before they release their analysis. Then let us know how and what techniques were used to build their game.

ZywyPL

Banned
Very important - huge part/reason of visiting NeoGAF is fun, and DF analysis threads spawn infinite amounts of laughs with all the fanboys spinning their narratives and catching themselves against their own arguments from game to game basis, shit's hilarious.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
It’s not massively important if am honest. It’s always good to see the differences between the games on consoles and there is hardly any difference these days

But what they do does flame the fan boy war.this game is 1FPS better on this console or look at the jaggies on this 300% zoomed images so the game is infinatly better on this console no that console lol

Last edited:

AGRacing

Gold Member
I like their videos. I also own both consoles.... so I'll occasionally check with them to see if one particular version of a game has an edge. It was more significant in the previous generation, though.

Kdad

Zero. I don't own a PC that I'd play high end games on and only buy PlayStation consoles. I don't need to know the pixel count of a game.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Their platform comparison analysis doesn't effect my purchasing decision. I tune in because the discussions of underlying tech for the games I love are fascinating to me. Unfortunately, they seem to have imposed somewhat of a self-censure lately when it comes to the next generation consoles, and its a shame that a very vocal minority have caused them insert unnecessary qualifiers when one console happens to perform better than another. You don't see the same pussyfooting when it comes to their tech analysis of PC graphics cards.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Not important at all but I do like their content.

For people investing big money into PC I can see why it would be important but with console gaming it's like 'what you see is what you get', analysis doesn't really matter to me for console and my TV doesn't have HDR or anything like that, just 1080p Panasonic Plasma so it's not like I'm even experiencing the full range of options on my base PS4.

DF Retro is their best content IMO, love that stuff.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Nowadays it isn't that bad. Remember the first few PS4 x Xbox One face-offs? My god...those days were interesting to say the least, lmao.

Those seeds still bear fruit but to each their own; hardcore fanatics are there anyways and seeing their (if it's sincere) passionate debates/back and forths shizzle is amusing/informative (seeing they're hardcore indepth knowledgable) nonetheless. It's been less warring since EviLore EviLore took steps and it's so much better now. Before every other topic was a pretext for warring which was immensely off putting

Last edited:

Mabdia

Hmm...🤔

1 to 10? -100

Can't give a shot about anyone thinks about a game. The only thing that really matters to me is if the game looks fun.

they really showed their colours in 2017 because you could tell they hated having to say anything negative about PS4 Pro or anything positive about the One X.

Lognor

Banned
A little. I don't think I've ever not played a game I was interested in due to their analysis though. There have been a couple of times when I've opted to get the PC version of a game over the Switch version, but I can typically live with games with subpar performance.

Top Bottom