• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How much is Digital Foundry opinion important to you?

I sometimes enjoy watching DF's content, but it has almost no impact on whether I buy or play games. The most useful videos are when something is totally broken, then I can safely ignore the game, but that is pretty rare. The slight differences between platforms (especially this gen) mean they don't really influence which platform I would buy a game for

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
I like their videos even though the face offs between the consoles are less striking. They do great work and keep devs honest. One of the only places to go to talk competently about gaming tech

I don't really care for their opinion, I go for the numbers and make my own idea from there.
Not at all really.If I like a game I'm gonna play it....if it's a total technical disaster then fair enough.....but all this pixel counting and framerate stuff,don't care.
I don't think this is the point of a technical analysis. Nobody would buy high end cars if that was a purely technical thing.

brian0057

Banned
I dig their analysis but unless the game is outright broken, I don't care.
If a game drops a few frames here and there or if the resolution isn't native, that's fine in my book.

Also, I play on Nintendo so make of that what you will.
I also have a PC where I mostly play 20+ year-old games and maybe a new one every now and then.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I don't know that their opinions are important to me, but the info they provide is often useful or valuable.

arvfab

Banned
Because I'm lazy, the only thing I find of interest is when they compare different modes within a game to each other before I start to play that particular game. That way I don't have to do it myself.

Otherwise I don't care about them.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I dig their analysis but unless the game is outright broken, I don't care.
If a game drops a few frames here and there or if the resolution isn't native, that's fine in my book.

Also, I play on Nintendo so make of that what you will.
I also have a PC where I mostly play 20+ year-old games and maybe a new one every now and then.

That's the thing though. They give a (I guess) general indication regarding overal fidelity and performance that oneself could use as a baseline for your experience.

Tschumi

Judging that every game that gets released is instantly judged on frame rate, resolution and lod on here I'd say plenty of us care a great deal about DF

I just watch them when i want to hear a game i like getting praised. Otherwise it's pretty dry.

kyussman

I don't really care for their opinion, I go for the numbers and make my own idea from there.

I don't think this is the point of a technical analysis. Nobody would buy high end cars if that was a purely technical thing.
What's it all about then?Is it like just looking at how a game is put together.....if so,then I can see why that would interest people,not me though,lol.

I guess I'm on the same page as most of you. These comparisons meant more in prior generations, particularly in the PS3 versus 360 generation. The consoles are basically the same now and are basically PCs. Differences are so negligible.... It's not even fun.

I still watch it because I'm heavily interested in graphics, technology and hardware in general.

DF Retro is awesome though!!

0. They should have stuck to the facts. I hate their graphics priorities of eliminating jaggies over sharpness and pristine image and John would want an 30fps cap on bayonetta 2 xD

brian0057

Banned
That's the thing though. They give a (I guess) general indication regarding overal fidelity and performance that oneself could use as a baseline for your experience.
My younger brother and I were so excited to play Half-Life 2 that we didn't mind having to wait over 10 minutes for the game to load every time with reached a loading screen. That's how much of piece of shit our PC was back in the day and how hooked on the game we were.

I guess that made more tolerable to some performance issues.

In terms of buying games they have no value to me since I have working eyes and can judge a game for myself.

DF and whatever the other one is called exist in the console warz industry and their business model is to stoke the flames to drum up business. Sometimes they'll overlook huge resolution advantages in favor of a single point FPS difference. Other times they praise 30fps.

I mostly watch them because I need something running in the background when I'm working on a scale model.

Damigos

If i want to learn about resolution, framerates etc their opinion is important as they are one of the best in the business.
If i dont want to learn about resolution, framerates etc then their opinion is not imoortant.

Simple as that

What's it all about then?Is it like just looking at how a game is put together.....if so,then I can see why that would interest people,not me though,lol.
Some people like to know how things work.
If i want to learn about resolution, framerates etc their opinion is important as they are one of the best in the business.
If i dont want to learn about resolution, framerates etc then their opinion is not imoortant.

Simple as that
Nope, they don't even pay that much attention... I think they are getting out because others are taking over the analytical space.

GymWolf

Not at all.

Having a pc means that i get the best version of a game without looking for comparison and no need for comparison for ps5 exclusives because they only release on that platform and if uneven framerate, fake 4k and dynamic resolutions were a reason to not play these games i would need to avoid 99% of console exclusives.

But it is fun to dunk on bagtallia when he say stupid woke shit and watching fanboys arguing over their presumed love for microsoft.

Cornbread78

w0Psfww.gif

Did they stop gettingvtheir checks from MS yet?

I kid, I kid..

Hugare

I enjoy them for 2 reasons:
1) I like understanding the technical aspects of high profile games
2) If the game is multi-platform it helps me decide which system to buy it for (even if the differences are pretty small).
This

I learned so much about videogame tech from their videos, that today I appreciate the medium even more than I used to.

They always go deep in their analysis, and you can see they they really appreciate every aspect of the games that they are analyzing. Sometimes they dont have much to say about the game's tech, but they mention the game's art style and etc.

Also, their editing skills are awesome. Even long videos are engaging.

Idiots say that they favor Sony or MS, and its bullshit, they only throw facts.

MadPanda

Banned
It matters when I want to buy a game. I check on DF to see how it performs on a platform I want to buy it. If it's good I buy it if not I don't. That's what DF should be about, but they are used in console wars and that's why they even got popular in the first place.

Shai-Tan

Banned
don't know why you're singling them out unless you wanted to create a hate thread. they're just journalists that mostly focus on technical details of graphics in games and offer their opinions about it. might as well make a thread asking what you think about people discussing graphics in forum threads. i think it's good because they take the time to pore over that stuff (because it's their jobs) whereas on forums that talk is generally vague invocations about this or that

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
when they talk about the techinical side of the game they are talking about that is fascinating, how they managed to pull of certain thing running on different platfoms
it's interesting to listen to but as for actually FPS etc sometimes I can actually learn to live with sub 30 fps (ALL PC users reading this are pulling "uuuuuuuuuurgh faces") so long as it doesn't impede on the experience too much.

I own a switch so tell me what you think :p

also DF retro is a great one to watch.

Last edited:
Their opinions are irrelevant. That's not the value that they provide. The value of their outlet is in the technical insights and investigation into what features, effects and technologies are being employed in videogames, together with their technical analysis of game performance across multiple hardware setups.

These things aren't opinions, but cold hard data that has incredible value to inform gamers.

When they do inject their opinion into their work it's far far less interesting. This is why I'm far more interested in their technical analysis and far less interested in their opinion pieces. Those I'll largely ignore, like other media outlets. Unless they say something completely outrageous, for which I'll take great interest in mocking them alongside the rest of the internet.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I like when the break down the ideal PC settings for best performance but other than couldn’t give a shit. The salt is funny sometimes.

Orta

Banned
Their opinion matters not two hoots to me, I can make up my own mind what I am impressed by or if I want something or not, but I enjoy watching their stuff.

The fact they piss of utterly paranoid you-know-who warriors is an absolute bonus however.

Last edited:
I watch them to see if any games I’m interested in have glaring technical/performance issues before deciding on buying them, so I view them as more of a PSA organization.

Dream-Knife

Banned
I don't really care anymore. "This setting reduces the number of trees 500m away". I mean cool? I just wish developers would optimize and release good games.

cireza

Banned
I only buy games when DF reviews them and that they are, in any way, better on my console of choice. Otherwise, no buy.

The only time it actually matters for me is when deciding whether I should get the Switch version of a game that's also out on PS4/5. I'll never understand people who maintain a PlayStation and an Xbox and a gaming PC and pixel peep to determine which version of a game to get. The differences are so incredibly minor for however many hundreds of extra dollars you're spending

That said, I like DF and enjoy listening to them. They're knowledgeable, not sensationalist, and have broadly good taste.

RivalGT

Neo Member
Its mostly information, just like all the other tech channels. I like having more than 1 source, so having their information is just as important as all the other tech channels.

These days most of their videos is just news and entertainment.

The other channels I go for tech information is VGTech,NXgamer, and ElAnalistaDeBits. ElAnalistaDeBits information is not always accurate, but he uploads much faster than the other 2, and more often.

plip.plop

While they provide interesting details about games. Unfortunately, that information is used by the vocal minority to create terrible console war threads.
It Is What It Is Dont Care GIF by AwesomenessTV

Yoboman

They are irrelevent

Sloppy multiplats are a rarity and devs will strive to have as little difference as possible in multiplats rather than have one take clear advantages. Engines have also come a long way to make multiplat development as seamless as possible

Top Bottom