• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How PlayStation 5 exclusive Returnal is keeping the arcade fires alive, Housemarque on the PT influence, justifying the £70 price tag and the future

turtlepowa

Banned
Yeah let's pretend no one buys games anymore.
Nobody said that, but if money is an issue, it's a very good option and nobody has to complain about prices. Many people do both. I also play the games on Game Pass first and still buy them later if i really liked the game.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Nobody said that, but if money is an issue, it's a very good option and nobody has to complain about prices. Many people do both. I also play the games on Game Pass first and still buy them later if i really liked the game.
Ah sorry about that. I've read it wrong :) I've read it as being sarcastic.

Last edited:

Clarissa

Banned
Nintendo/Xbox fanboys who hate Sony -> Sony games all look and play the same. There's only walking simulator/sad dad games. I'd rather watch a movie than play a Sony game.

*Housemarque releases a Triple A Roguelite. Something that's never been done before. A gamey game that is not a walking simulator*

Nintendo/Xbox fanboys who hate Sony -> No one's going to buy the game because it's so expensive HAHAHAHA. It looks like a cheap game and worth at most $10 HAHAHAAHA.

Unknown?

I don't see a problem with questioning the price point. Let's look at Housemarque's output:

-Resogun: $14.99 (also launched as part of the Instant Games Collection, has DLC Expansions and cosmetics)
-Alienation: $19.99 (has a $9.99 Season Pass)
-Matterfall: $19.99
-Nex Machina; $19.99

Beyond the perspective switch, Returnal doesn't look all that different mechanically from a lot of their other titles. It seems like they've upped their production value game a notch or two but I'm not sure that justifies going from ~$20.00 games to a $70.00 game.
Even comparing those games to this is insane. It's like saying GTA2 is the same as GTA5.

Gamerguy84

Nintendo/Xbox fanboys who hate Sony -> Sony games all look and play the same. There's only walking simulator/sad dad games. I'd rather watch a movie than play a Sony game.

*Housemarque releases a Triple A Roguelite. Something that's never been done before. A gamey game that is not a walking simulator*

Nintendo/Xbox fanboys who hate Sony -> No one's going to buy the game because it's so expensive HAHAHAHA. It looks like a cheap game and worth at most $10 HAHAHAAHA.

What does your friend think though?

Yes, they switched the perspective but other than that they are re-using elements from their past games (that's not a knock).

You mean they're reusing concepts? That doesn't make it any cheaper.

Look at it from this perspective. Alienation, Nex Machina and Matterfall were all released in the span of around a year, with those three projects being split between 40 or so employees

In contrast Returnal is a all hands on deck project that's taken them 3 - 4 years with 80 employees

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
You mean they're reusing concepts? That doesn't make it any cheaper.

Look at it from this perspective. Alienation, Nex Machina and Matterfall were all released in the span of around a year, with those three projects being split betweeb 40 or so employees

In contrast Returnal has taken them 3 - 4 years with all 80 employees currently their working on it.

I didn't say the production of the game was as inexpensive as their previous efforts. They are certainly going for higher production values with more focus on storytelling, but aside from that and the perspective change, it looks very similar to previous efforts. I don't think it's unfair to question why they've leapt from making $20 games to $70 games. They've also got a metric shit ton of competition in the roguelite genre and are easily coming in at double to triple the price of the competition. It's going to be a hard sell to a lot of people as evidenced by the responses in this thread.

Last edited:
I didn't say the production of the game was as inexpensive as their previous efforts. They are certainly going for higher production values with more focus on storytelling, but aside from that and the perspective change, it looks very similar to previous efforts. I don't think it's unfair to question why they've leapt from making $20 games to $70 games. They've also got a metric shit ton of competition in the roguelite genre and are easily coming in at double to triple the price of the competition. It's going to be a hard sell to a lot of people as evidenced by the responses in this thread.

Well what does justify the price increase if not the fact that it's multitudes more expensive to make?

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Well what doesn't justify the price increase if not for the fact that it's multitudes more expensive to make?

It's not really on the consumer to worry about how expensive something is to produce. It's up to Housemarque to develop a compelling product at an attractive price point.

I never knew alienation got a physical release in asia, i think i'll pick it up it's just over 20 bucks. Made me think resogun went physical as well for a sec but sadly no :messenger_expressionless:

Unknown?

...yes, and? They switched the perspective but other than that they are re-using elements from their past games (that's not a knock).
That's what I was getting at with the GTA reference. When you simplify something so much you can make anything look the same. GTA5 is still hijacking cars and doing criminal activities like before. But that doesn't really work and you know it.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
That's what I was getting at with the GTA reference. When you simplify something so much you can make anything look the same. GTA5 is still hijacking cars and doing criminal activities like before. But that doesn't really work and you know it.

It's a terrible comparison. It would be like comparing Stardust to Returnal and omitting all of Housemarque's efforts in between. And that's ignoring the pricing structure of your GTA reference. The sad thing is you don't know it. Bless your heart.

Last edited:
I feel like they should have marketed this game more by it's gameplay rather than doing so many story trailers. It looks super fast and fun to play, and I feel like a ton of people aren't going to know that due to most marketing pieces being about the main character and footage of her walking around different environments.

Also, people keep mentioning P.T. whenever they see the first person house footage, but based on the interview and the fact that it's a potentially re-occurring location, I'm thinking they were actually more inspired by Silent Hill 4.
I agree they should focus more on marketing the gameplay. PT was literally supposed to be Silent Hills. Returnal is looking like an amalgamation of Vanquish, Metroid, and PT. With shmup elements. Intriguing title from HM

Last edited:

It’s more than $10. £70 are $97.

Last edited:

Bramble

I'm afraid this game will be quickly forgotten because of RE8. I'm a big Sony exclusive fanboy, but I'm way more interested in RE8.

Top Bottom