• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How PlayStation Plus Compares to Xbox Game Pass and Nintendo Switch Online

MonarchJT

Banned
I'm not going to go back through that conversation, but one can own an Xbox, not subscribe to Game Pass, and buy quality games on Xbox. In fact, most Xbox owners do not have Game Pass.
just pls you guys are becoming embarrassing. who is the judge of the quality check? ...are we serious?

Banned
Overall I’m starting to think Nintendo’s single plan, which you can regularly get for £12 in the UK, is the best value of the bunch by quite some distance.

yeah totally... 🤣 can't beat games I can play on 500 other devices at better quality! including my og Xbox, my PSP, my Xbox Series S, Series X and my phone!

The fact of the matter is really this. Gamepass as a service has been a success since it launched, with it seeing steady growth, and being incredibly popular. Meanwhile, despite the larger userbase, PS+ has only a fraction of the subscribers GP does, with little to no growth, and generating almost no excitement.
One has been a resounding success, and the other has been a dismal failure. Seeing as PS+ has been the failure, Sony has decided to restructure it in the hopes that it can achieve results similar to GP.
PS+ has 50M subscribers at the moment.

Topher

Gold Member
The issue is claiming gamepass doesn't have quality games, which means xbox doesn't produce quality games.
Whether you own gamepass or not is irrelevant. Because gamepass isn't the one that is making the games. It's 3rd party and xbox.
By saying that claim, it means anyone who put their games there, doesn't make quality games.

I see people here all the time saying Sony's games are shit. They are just opinions. I don't agree with either stance, but it is what it is. It is nearly impossible to argue an opinion.

just pls you guys are becoming embarrassing. who is the judge of the quality check? ...are we serious?

You guys? I don't agree with the assertion that Game Pass doesn't have quality games. I'm saying it is an opinion and plenty of Xbox gamers don't have Game Pass. Who is the judge of quality? I am for me. You are for you. Why is that hard to understand?

Last edited:

octiny

Banned
I'm not going to go back through that conversation, but one can own an Xbox, not subscribe to Game Pass, and buy quality games on Xbox. In fact, most Xbox owners do not have Game Pass.

We're not disputing whether Xbox owners use gamepass or not. We're disputing him saying there weren't "quality" games on Gamepass, which was refuted w/ facts over multiple pages w/ the only metric we have to quantify "quality" games. He originally asked for 10 quality day 1 GP games, which was provided by adamsapple adamsapple . Under his narrative, Gamepass not having "quality" games would mean there aren't any quality games on Xbox in general unless you count 3rd party. Funny thing is, theres lots of great 3rd party GP games as well. It's fine if you say "they are not my type of games" (which he didn't), but to say the list given aren't of quality (not even 1) repeatedly is disingenuous & straight up trolling.

Which begs the question. What qualifies as a "quality" game in his mind? Were Returnal, Ratchet & Metriod not quality games? If they were, why would FH5, Halo Infinite & Psychonauts 2 which conjured up more GOTY awards as a whole not qualify as "quality" games as well? Why would he own both consoles then? Based on his blatantly obvious post history, his preference is PS 100%. Is he only buying 3rd party games on Xbox for whatever reason over his preferred console? Or is it the most obvious answer, he's full of shit, was called out for it & retreated into obscurity.

I'm going to go w/ the latter. When you refuse to answer the same questions you pose to others you've lost all credibility.

But I digress, he's added me to ignore like a child being caught red handed. It is what it is 🤷‍♂️

Topher

Gold Member
We're not disputing whether Xbox owners use gamepass or not. We're disputing him saying there weren't "quality" games on Gamepass, which was refuted w/ facts over multiple pages w/ the only metric we have to quantify "quality" games. He originally asked for 10 quality day 1 GP games, which was provided by adamsapple adamsapple . Under his narrative, Gamepass not having "quality" games would mean there aren't any quality games on Xbox in general unless you count 3rd party. Funny thing is, theres lots of great 3rd party GP games as well. It's fine if you say "they are not my type of games" (which he didn't), but to say the list given aren't of quality (not even 1) repeatedly is disingenuous & straight up trolling.

Which begs the question. What qualifies as a "quality" game in his mind? Were Returnal, Ratchet & Metriod not quality games? If they were, why would FH5, Halo Infinite & Psychonauts 2 which conjured up more GOTY awards as a whole not qualify as "quality" games as well? Why would he own both consoles then? Based on his blatantly obvious post history, his preference is PS 100%. Is he only buying 3rd party games on Xbox for whatever reason over his preferred console? Or is it the most obvious answer, he's full of shit, was called out for it & retreated into obscurity.

I'm going to go w/ the latter. When you refuse to answer the same questions you pose to others you've lost all credibility.

But I digress, he's added me to ignore like a child being caught red handed. It is what it is 🤷‍♂️

Alright. There is a lot more going on in this conversation than I realized so I'll bow out of it.

Mary Steenburgen Oops GIF by Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist

kingfey

Banned
For anyone that is hating these subscription services, treat it as buying $20 used game a month. That is enough for you to clear 1 game a month from these subscription services, and your money would be well spent.

If you still dont like it, then you have a problem.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
For anyone that is hating these subscription services, treat it as buying $20 used game a month. That is enough for you to clear 1 game a month from these subscription services, and your money would be well spent.

If you still dont like it, then you have a problem.

The subscription model also works wonders for people who don't like keeping a lot of games and sell/trade after playing.

reksveks

By giving their games on day one to gamepass subs on xbox and PC? Won't this force their hand to have their games on PS/NS to make said profit?
Looks like MS will be a publisher afterall.
Where does Activision make the majority of its money?

Full games sales or dlc?

S0ULZB0URNE

If you still don't like it, then you have a problem.
I like most gamers don't like these game rental subscription services.
Are you going to say the 4% that was posted the other day isn't super niche?
With the above you are saying most gamers have a problem.
Keep it up and I'll go through your post history, find out what games you like, and then tell you they're garbage.
I told you that is what you would do.
Thanks for confirming it.
The funny thing about that, is that he has xbox. Yet in this thread, he says he buys quality games, and that gamepass doesn't have quality games.

So, why does he even have xbox in the 1st place, if he only buys quality games? Or does xbox have quality games, which means gamepass would also have quality games. Which makes, his points bad. It just doesn't make any sense at all.
I do what most Xbox gamers do.
I subscribe to the more popular XBLG and I buy my games.
The Xbox games I like.............I BUY. If you must know I also buy some 3rd party games on XSX for the superior controller.

What do you game on?
I guess blatant trolling is allowed again. Best remove that console war sticky :messenger_beaming:

I mean.....you are still here so...

Conan Lol GIF by Team Coco

just messing around
He's got to be in the top 3.

kingfey

Banned
Do you understand the stats for that 4%?
That includes mobile and pc. It's all games sold, from mtx to full sale. In term of revenue, they will be 4%.

Ps+ has 48m users.
Psnow has 3m users.
Xbox live gold around 30m users(xbox requires online subscription more compared to PS)???
Gamepass has 25m users.

Those are alot of users on consoles only.

For PC, you have wow subscription, and ff14 subscription. You also have uplay+ and EA play.

These don't bring tons of money like game sales, but they have alot of users.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
The Xbox games I like.............I BUY. If you must know I also buy some 3rd party games on XSX for the superior controller.

What do you game on?
Switch, pc, ps5, xbox one s. All the 4 systems.

The reason why I brought up that talk, is because you have been saying nonsense stuff, like buying quality games, and that gamepass doesn't have those.

You should know that gamepass doesn't produce those games. The people who you buy games from, put their games on the service. Games like RE7, Red Dead redemption 2, Gtav, the witcher 3, and all those accolades games, that have goty put their games on gamepass.
Last year's Goty game is on gamepass now too.

Last edited:
Well it's all going to become one sub soon so, i guess it doesn't matter.
That appears to be the case. Of course this is the crux of the argument for Gamepass haters, and I'm perfectly fine with it. If Sony would rather fold up their PS Now subscribers, and lump them in with their PS+ subs in order to make it appear as though it's more successful than it is, instead of actually offering a service that competes with GP then more power to them.

It's actually a pretty savvy move by Sony. The majority of users for both MS and Sony only sub to their base sub service ala XBLG/PS+. They also both know that simply raising those base sub prices won't go over well. So by combining PS+ with PSNow, Sony can tack on any old useless feature it pleases, in order to justify raising it's base price. That way it doesn't appear as though they're just jacking up the price on all their base level subbed PS+ users.

That's no knock on Sony either, as that's exactly what MS was trying to do when tried to sneakily combine their sub services together. They just weren't as slick as Sony, and got caught and called out for it. MS will either let the dust settle for a year or two and try again, or they'll just accept things how they currently are and roll with it. It's already too late for Playstation users though. They've already shown their hand, and recieved almost no pushback from it.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: TLZ

TLZ

Banned
That appears to be the case. Of course this is the crux of the argument for Gamepass haters, and I'm perfectly fine with it. If Sony would rather fold up their PS Now subscribers, and lump them in with their PS+ subs in order to make it appear as though it's more successful than it is, instead of actually offering a service that competes with GP then more power to them.

It's actually a pretty savvy move by Sony. The majority of users for both MS and Sony only sub to their base sub service ala XBLG/PS+. They also both know that simply raising those base sub prices won't go over well. So by combining PS+ with PSNow, Sony can tack on any old useless feature it pleases, in order to justify raising it's base price. That way it doesn't appear as though they're just jacking up the price on all their base level subbed PS+ users.

That's no knock on Sony either, as that's exactly what MS was trying to do when tried to sneakily combine their sub services together. They just weren't as slick as Sony, and got caught and called out for it. MS will either let the dust settle for a year or two and try again, or they'll just accept things how they currently are and roll with it. It's already too late for Playstation users though. They've already shown their hand, and recieved almost no pushback from it.
I think MS should just do the same. Have them all under Game Pass. Like Sony, have their basic sub exactly like Live with the same pricing.

You can tell Live is going away soon anyway from the low quality games with gold lineup we've been getting every month for a while now. Obviously pushing people to get sick and tired of the useless lineup. Personally I'm subbed to Game Pass Ultimate so I've already jumped ship years ago, so nothing will change for me.

MonarchJT

Banned
Switch, pc, ps5, xbox one s. All the 4 systems.

The reason why I brought up that talk, is because you have been saying nonsense stuff, like buying quality games, and that gamepass doesn't have those.

You should know that gamepass doesn't produce those games. The people who you buys games from, put their games on the service. Games like RE7, Red Dead redemption 2, Gtav, the witcher 3, and all those accolades games, that have goty put their games on gamepass.
Last year's Goty games is on gamepass now too.
stop with him ....he is trolling or just shamelessly act obtuse on purpose

MonarchJT

Banned
Speaking of services and comparisons.

1usj4a.png

-

Have you guys noticed that 5 of 2021's top GoTY winning games are currently on Game Pass, with a sixth (Deathloop) to launch on it day 1 on Xbox ?

Talk about devaluing the games am I right folks ? :messenger_tears_of_joy:
is the narrative that NEED to be pushed from fanboys ..fact prove in every way that isnt the reality.

And this in a timeframe for the service when Ms probably still bit making profit on it and still investing. Imagine what will happen when they start to make profit

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
Understandable that you will be mad.
How can you look down on other games, if you dont bring up quality.

I wish people like you can grow up from that mentality.

Every game has their own strength and weaknesses. Quality, graphic, length of the game doesn't determine how great the game is.

Its about enjoyable the game can be. Even the lowest quality games can be fun, and enjoyable.

Its matter of taste. And that doesn't translate to everyone and every game.

Lognor

Banned

I told you that is what you would do.
Thanks for confirming it.

What do you game on?

He's got to be in the top 3.
You nervous? lol

Faithless83

Banned
Everybody knows that. That is what we have been trying to tell you.
The service has day1 games, so it will need alot of money, to sustain it. It's on sustainability level now.
Psnow doesn't have that day1 games. So it looks like its making profits.
It will make profit and it will keep on growing in profit. MS has a longer road to get there.
Having more numbers, means the cost will also go up. Xbox wouldn't get that additional cost. So their service would still be profitable. It'd just that, it won't bring the same money as PS. But profit wise, it's still profitable.
MS is hoping to be profitable by moving numbers, same as pretty much everyone, but NS and PS are not dependent on number as MS.
You know what’s great about AB? They are very transparent about their financials and one of the only publishers to separate their sales from their MTX revenue.
If they transition, the policies will change as well, who knows?
In 2021, 61% of AB revenue was from MTX, that’s public data and the ratio is growing every year. As far as I know they have no plan for pulling games of other storefronts, so if they were to give their games to PC/Xbox GP users I’m not even sure they would lose any money overall with the MTX impact of more people playing their games. They would lose less than 10% of their revenue if you account GP penetration rate, platform split and MTX revenue ratio.
That would also mean that it's very likely that their games won't be exclusive so they can keep on having the MTX money.
The last sales data released had the PS5 at 17m sold, and the Xbox Series at 12m sold. That was at the beginning of 2022. Since then, the PS5 sold more in January, while the Series sold more in February. Claiming a console that's competitive, and that has outsold the PS5 2 out of the last 3 months will somehow be a failure is the bold claim here.
Is there a distinction on Xbox Series S/x? I would love to see how the numbers compare. Cherry picking the last two months when the Xbox hardware was pretty much sitting on the shelves with no PS5 in sight? When both are available everywhere we'll see where this will land.
So now it's gone from a "division that hasn't shown a profit in a long time now" to a "division that does show profit but how big is it?" You're gonna wear yourself out at the rate you're moving goalposts here. Take it easy.
My bad, I meant to say a division that is not showing profit on hardware and is sustainable on gamepass. Not an amazing difference, but we don't know for sure, since they don't show the numbers. Believe me, if the numbers were astounding, they would be showing them. Not even hardware numbers are shown. We have to resort to other means to check it.
Well, I suppose it depends on how you look at it. You see it as MS "giving" the games to GP users with it having no effect on their GP subs numbers. Others may see that by putting those games on GP. that it will result in more people joining GP... As well as the revenue gained from sales of those games.

I'm sure you see it as "forcing MS's hand". Unfortunately for you, when you're as big, as profitable, and have as much capital as MS has... there's not much that "forces" MS to do anything.
They have the Bethesda and AB acquisitions to account for, plus game development, everything going day one on gamepass.
"But MTX is the future!"
Yeah, the thing that pretty much everyone in this forum dreads and somehow you are now defending as a viable/sustainable option. :messenger_sunglasses:
It won't force MS to publish their games on everything else with the "play it on gamepass for (*free)" stamp on it.

I'm cool with it, games will end up being multi platform and everyone will be able to enjoy them.

kingfey

Banned
It will make profit and it will keep on growing in profit. MS has a longer road to get there.
The road is already here. MS can make profits from the service. But they are spending the money, growing the service. That is how these services work. You put the money they make back in to the service.

MS is hoping to be profitable by moving numbers, same as pretty much everyone, but NS and PS are not dependent on number as MS.
You have no idea what you are talking.

Lognor

Banned

If they transition, the policies will change as well, who knows?

That would also mean that it's very likely that their games won't be exclusive so they can keep on having the MTX money.

Is there a distinction on Xbox Series S/x? I would love to see how the numbers compare. Cherry picking the last two months when the Xbox hardware was pretty much sitting on the shelves with no PS5 in sight? When both are available everywhere we'll see where this will land.

My bad, I meant to say a division that is not showing profit on hardware and is sustainable on gamepass. Not an amazing difference, but we don't know for sure, since they don't show the numbers. Believe me, if the numbers were astounding, they would be showing them. Not even hardware numbers are shown. We have to resort to other means to check it.

They have the Bethesda and AB acquisitions to account for, plus game development, everything going day one on gamepass.
"But MTX is the future!"
Yeah, the thing that pretty much everyone in this forum dreads and somehow you are now defending as a viable/sustainable option. :messenger_sunglasses:
It won't force MS to publish their games on everything else with the "play it on gamepass for (*free)" stamp on it.

I'm cool with it, games will end up being multi platform and everyone will be able to enjoy them.
Dude. You can't listen to what people say on here. They may not like microtransactions, but they do account for a large percentage of revenues in this space. And that will not change in the near future. In fact, it'll probably lean even more toward microtransactions going forward.

And you do know that Series S and Series X are the same console line, right? It's Sony's issue that they couldn't get consoles on shelves. Maybe they should have gone the same route as Microsoft and made a Series S type of console. They didn't, and because of that Microsoft is outselling them regularly (in the US at least). Series S or X, it doesn't matter. They play the same games. That would be like differentiating between the Switch and Switch OLED. Microsoft made a brilliant play with the Series S. They've been able to keep them stocked since its release.

Amen.

That's the biggest differentiator and what continues to make Game Pass the best deal in gaming today.
Ill rate the ps+ games that don't leave the service and I can unsubscribe and resub and still have them. I have psplus games from almost a decade ago now. As someone who has a active life with only limited gaming time, and a huge backlog, I could care less about say one releases. I care more if the game will be there when I have time to play it. From what I see on gamepass it takes games out after some time.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Ill rate the ps+ games that don't leave the service and I can unsubscribe and resub and still have them. I have psplus games from almost a decade ago now. As someone who has a active life with only limited gaming time, and a huge backlog, I could care less about say one releases. I care more if the game will be there when I have time to play it. From what I see on gamepass it takes games out after some time.

PS+ is directly comparable to Live Gold, where it follows the exact same model for Games with Gold that you described above.

Regardless, you can care less about all first party published games day 1, that's fine, but it is a major selling point for a lot of people.

kingfey

Banned
Dude. You can't listen to what people say on here. They may not like microtransactions, but they do account for a large percentage of revenues in this space. And that will not change in the near future. In fact, it'll probably lean even more toward microtransactions going forward.

And you do know that Series S and Series X are the same console line, right? It's Sony's issue that they couldn't get consoles on shelves. Maybe they should have gone the same route as Microsoft and made a Series S type of console. They didn't, and because of that Microsoft is outselling them regularly (in the US at least). Series S or X, it doesn't matter. They play the same games. That would be like differentiating between the Switch and Switch OLED. Microsoft made a brilliant play with the Series S. They've been able to keep them stocked since its release.
He is caught the case of trying to be smart. But forgot the logic part.

Most of his points falls flat, once you bring logic to it.

kingfey

Banned
First party stay there forever, aside of certain cases like forza, which due to licensing.

As for your ps+ comparison, you will need to claim the games every month, and not skip a month. That way, you will build a library which is bigger than gamepass.

But there is caveat to that. You won't see games like the witcher 3 on the service.
That is where gamepass is strong at. It can bring games like gtav, red dead 2, skyrim.
Ps+ will be lucky to get 1 of these games.
Only ps+ collection managed to do that.

There's no cherry picking to it. It just is what it is. You can conjure up whatever scenarios, what ifs, and comparisons you like. You claimed more than once that it was 2 to 1 as the crux of your argument when that's not the case presently. Just because I corrected you doesn't mean I have to entertain every caveat, whataboutism, or hypothetical you think up.
If I'm not mistaken, I believe their game division is profitable. MS is a big company with many different segments and divisions. Various parts such as gaming are lumped in together with others when they announce their earnings. Be that as it may. I'll have to politely pass on believing you when you say "Believe me, if the numbers were astounding, they would be showing them.". Mostly because MS reports it's numbers that way across all it's divisions. If it were only the Xbox or gaming division they didn't show all the numbers for, I might give your theory more weight.
"But MTX is the future!"

Good grief. Where to start.

• Where did I say "But MTX is the future!"

• Show me anything that suggests that anywhere even close to "pretty much everyone in this forum dreads".

• Show me where not only am I defending it as sustainable and viable. Bit also why you felt the need to pretend as if I alone were the only one doing so... In a forum "pretty much" full of people who believe otherwise.

• What makes you believe that "MS will publish their games on everything else"? Why hasn't MS done so up to this point? Why do you believe that just because Sony has to make some concessions regarding some of their studios making multiplat games that MS does too?

Most of his points falls flat, once you bring logic to it.
What are even talking about? MOST of his points falls flat?

The guy has failed to make even a single rational argument. His use of logic and factual data is similar to someone walking 3mph on a 5mph treadmill. The more he posts, the more ground he loses.

kingfey

Banned
What are even talking about? MOST of his points falls flat?

The guy has failed to make even a single rational argument. His use of logic and factual data is similar to someone walking 3mph on a 5mph treadmill. The more he posts, the more ground he loses.
If he used logic, he wouldn't have typed those.

Top Bottom