• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How PlayStation Plus Compares to Xbox Game Pass and Nintendo Switch Online

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Of course I spend more time with MS products to get MS Rewards points. That's not bragging. That's advocating for an MS product.

Try not being so tribal and you'll figure out that a person doesn't have to be entirely on one side or another.
wuoqTk9.gif

What's the trick? I can never seem to get enough point to make it worthwhile.

Topher

Gold Member
wuoqTk9.gif

What's the trick? I can never seem to get enough point to make it worthwhile.

I created an OT on this. Ultimately it takes a few minutes every day to get the points you will need. I've just made it part of my routine.

This reminds me that I still need to add in the Xbox quest part to my OT. When I created this I didn't have an Xbox.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
You can get 3 month ultimate keys for $30. I usually get those.

There is a website called eneba.com, it's one of those grey market resellers like cdkeys.

They often have crazy deals on GPU codes, I've seen 3 month codes selling for 15,16 bucks there every now and then.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I created an OT on this. Ultimately it takes a few minutes every day to get the points you will need. I've just made it part of my routine.

This reminds me that I still need to add in the Xbox quest part to my OT. When I created this I didn't have an Xbox.
Thanks, I don't go into communities often, but will definitely check out this thread.

MonarchJT

Banned
PS+ being $80 cheaper isn't objective it's an actual fact.
GamePass is a different service than ps+
ps+ = live gold
psnow = xcloud
the new ps+ is old ps+ with the add of psnow = live gold + xcloud

Sony have nothing that can compared to gamepass..when they will release their top games day one on a service they will have

Last edited:
Don't know. Maybe that MS spent $76b on a business that would make them alot of money.

Do you yourself understand what sustainable means? You claim that is a weasel word.
That is a weasel word because of its vague nature. This is Phil's opinion, probably informed in some way, but so are other CEOs.

So what he could mean is that they found that their Gamepass subscribers spend on average about 50% more than their non GP customers.

Given the low relevance of Microsoft's fistparty titles they lose little to nothing by when they tell you that you get these games day and date, you get tricked into buying for future games... These games may or may not be good, you don't get to decide what games you have and when you have them

MonarchJT

Banned
That is a weasel word because of its vague nature. This is Phil's opinion, probably informed in some way, but so are other CEOs.

So what he could mean is that they found that their Gamepass subscribers spend on average about 50% more than their non GP customers.

Given the low relevance of Microsoft's fistparty titles they lose little to nothing by when they tell you that you get these games day and date, you get tricked into buying for future games... These games may or may not be good, you don't get to decide what games you have and when you have them
low relevance of Microsoft first party ? wut? ahaha

Gamerguy84

Guess we really won't know until it launches, or at least a full list is released. Personal quality will be different for everyone.

I can't stand Netflix and haven't gotten my money worth but I feel like I've robbed my Disney plus and Appple tv subs.

I already sub to both NOW and PLUS so it's just going to add value for me. Sounds promising.

Topher

Gold Member
GamePass is a different service than ps+
ps+ = live gold
psnow = xcloud
the new ps+ is old ps+ with the add of psnow = live gold + xcloud

Sony have nothing that can compared to gamepass..when they will release their top games day one on a service they will have

You skipped PS+ Extra. Here is how it lays out:

PS+ Essential = XLG
PS+ Extra = Xbox Game Pass - minus day one games
PS+ Premium = Game Pass Ultimate minus day one games, EA Play, PC GP

Then there is pricing

PS+ = XLG
PS+ Extra = Game Pass monthly and $20 cheaper when paying annually
PS+ Premium is $3 more expensive than Game Pass Ultimate monthly and $60 cheaper when paying annually

So yes, there distinct differences. And each have pros and cons depending how you pay.

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
You skipped PS+ Extra. Here is how it lays out:

PS+ Essential = XLG
PS+ Extra = Xbox Game Pass - minus day one games
PS+ Premium = Game Pass Ultimate minus day one games, EA Play, PC GP

Then there is pricing

PS+ = XLG
PS+ Extra = Game Pass monthly and $20 cheaper when paying annually
PS+ Premium is $3 more expensive than Game Pass Ultimate monthly and $60 cheaper when paying annually

So yes, there distinct differences. And each have pros and cons depending how you pay.
day one release is the reason why they can't be compared .
Day one release + ea play + PC GP ...is even worst

i mean I'm happy that they unified psnow and ps+ and that in the top tier they will give some more oldish first party games ...but I do not understand the obstinacy to want to compare it with gamepass .. they have points in common but fundamentally missing the point and main reason for the existence of the service

Topher

Gold Member
day one release is the reason why they can't be compared .
Day one release + ea play + PC GP ...is even worst

i mean I'm happy that they unified psnow and ps+ and that in the top tier they will give some more oldish first party games ...but I do not understand the obstinacy to want to compare it with gamepass .. they have points in common but fundamentally missing the point and main reason for the existence of the service

But you did compare them and left out some key parts. I was just filling in the blanks.

kingfey

Banned
That is a response, to the people that kept claiming gamepass was unprofitable. He said that, to shut them down.

That is factual. You tend to spend more, on games that you played. Or have some experience playing it.
Gamepass allows you to discover games, that other wise, you wont be able to discover them. So you go and buy them.

There is also dlc, mtx, and other form of spending.

Don't your bias blind you. Just because you specifically don't like them, doesn't mean others won't like them.
No one is getting tricked. That is stupid.
Do you really think, MS would put those games on steam, maintain top 10 on steam after they were released for 1 year?
These games have relevancy. It matters to people who buy xbox. If you are a Nintendo or PS fan, then those games won't be relevant to you at all.

Faithless83

Banned
Understand, where each console is strong at first.

And x360 was going neck to neck with the ps3, after the massive record the ps2 had.
That record breaking means nothing, in the market. Once you have what people want, you will attract new customers easily. And xbox series has that, this gen.

The market doesnt work that way. Nintendo has the wii u, after the massive success, which was wii. Xbox one was a massive let down, after x360. Ps3 took a noose dive, after the record break, which was the ps2.
As long as those variable exist, you cant predict the market.

That was xbox fate. But that didnt happen.

Do you unnderstand how many users psnow has, and how many do they pay? Cuz, that is 1/8 of gamepass subscribers, and 1/3 of gamepass price. If you do the math, you should know, which one brings more money.

Xbox live gold still exist.

That is half/half. Depend on what the games are. We wont know that for now. Since we have no clue about the games.

Cheaper, doesnt mean it will generate more money. You get more money from monthly users, than one time payment users. You should know this, if you have knowledge in business.

for every 2 gamepass user, there is 3 Spartacus users. You will need 28.8m gamepass users to bring the same amount as 48m Spartacus yearly users.

Gamepass alone is sustainable, if you dont add xbox live gold. If you do what Psnow, and ps+ is doing, you are getting a profit.
but you wont understand that.
So here is another wishful thinking reply.
Gamepass is not profitable, sustainable means it breaks even.
Hardware has no profit and you are assuming that the console that is losing 2:1 for two gens straight will somehow be successful.
Tha's a bold claim.

Did you read the article? Did you read the original source?

Just saw that some one already tried to explain to you that the article was referring to hardware revenue but either that went over your head or you are ignoring it.
I made a print of the article, and if you look at it states "Gamepass is sustainable". It means it breaks even, but it doesn't turn profits to MS.
mHP6YOP.png

Dude you started by saying the gaming division hasn’t made a profit in a long time.

You were then proven wrong with the court numbers.

You’re mixing everything, Gamepass profit, hardware profit, gaming division profit.

Let me rephrase for you:

- Does MS make a profit on the hardware sales? No
- Does MS make a profit on its gaming division as a whole? Yes
- Does MS earn enough money on Gamepass to bankroll the entire gaming division? No
It's you guys that keep mixing things up. I said gamepass (thread topic).
Hardware never provided profit. The gaming division does show profit but how big is it? They don't show the numbers, only revenue (total earned), but no profit (total earn minus expenses)
Fi4eRzo.png

By the way, mechanically through acquisition of Activision MS is going to increase its profit. Gonna be a while (if ever) before they make a loss again with how much of a cash cow AB is.
By giving their games on day one to gamepass subs on xbox and PC? Won't this force their hand to have their games on PS/NS to make said profit?
Looks like MS will be a publisher afterall.

kingfey

Banned
Everybody knows that. That is what we have been trying to tell you.
The service has day1 games, so it will need alot of money, to sustain it. It's on sustainability level now.
Psnow doesn't have that day1 games. So it looks like its making profits.

Hardware has no profit
MS said that in the court, that they don't make money from hardware. Those money comes from accessories.

you are assuming that the console that is losing 2:1 for two gens straight will somehow be successful.
Having more numbers, means the cost will also go up. Xbox wouldn't get that additional cost. So their service would still be profitable. It'd just that, it won't bring the same money as PS. But profit wise, it's still profitable.

Chukhopops

How long can they keep feeding the division that hasn't turn a profit in a long time now?
?
??

By giving their games on day one to gamepass subs on xbox and PC? Won't this force their hand to have their games on PS/NS to make said profit?
You know what’s great about AB? They are very transparent about their financials and one of the only publishers to separate their sales from their MTX revenue.

In 2021, 61% of AB revenue was from MTX, that’s public data and the ratio is growing every year. As far as I know they have no plan for pulling games of other storefronts, so if they were to give their games to PC/Xbox GP users I’m not even sure they would lose any money overall with the MTX impact of more people playing their games. They would lose less than 10% of their revenue if you account GP penetration rate, platform split and MTX revenue ratio.

Lognor

Banned
Gamepass doesn't come close to the quality of games I buy.

LOL I know you aren't trying to post the terrible 2021 games as a metric!
One of the games on that list was EXCLUSIVE to PlayStation in 2021.

Shall we compare the averages of the last 10 years?
(Spoiler it would be bad for Xbox)
What is the quality of games you buy? Love to see that list.

S0ULZB0URNE

91.7% of games on PSNow are from 2017 or older.

How much do you expect this to change in June with this launch?

I don't know why you would be arguing about age of the games as a bad thing, when only the highest paid tier of the PS+ service gives you access to the oldest games on your service. (Even older than the ones they currently offer)

Seems counterintuitive to me.
Wasn't comparing it to that service.
If I was.... GP would be the better option.
giphy.gif

Still in good spirits even after being thoroughly humiliated, I dig that.
So you really aren't going to apologize?
Can't respect people who can't admit when they are wrong.

Hardware has no profit and you are assuming that the console that is losing 2:1 for two gens straight will somehow be successful.
Tha's a bold claim.

I made a print of the article, and if you look at it states "Gamepass is sustainable". It means it breaks even, but it doesn't turn profits to MS.
mHP6YOP.png

Hardware never provided profit. The gaming division does show profit but how big is it? They don't show the numbers, only revenue (total earned), but no profit (total earn minus expenses)
Fi4eRzo.png

They can't handle these type of facts.
What is the quality of games you buy? Love to see that list.
So you can try and spin that they aren't good? Not happening

Chukhopops

Someone should make the real comparison chart.
Here's the updated catalog age with new GP releases and the PSPlus collection added:

RJLoBep.jpg

Obviously, as time passes the gap in catalog recency widens, it's now 4 years and 2 months on average between GP and PSNow. And the PSPlus collection (despite being good games overall) doesn't help since the most recent one is from 2018.

If you want to play games from the current decade there aren't several options at the moment.

octiny

Banned

Hold up, you asked a similar question to others regarding what 10 "quality" day 1 games GP has & was thoroughly schooled by facts.

Even tried to weasel out of it by saying they werent of "quality". Which I then countered by listing Publisher of the Year, 2021 GAF GOTY & 2021 GOTY tracker, while also mentioning the average MC of those 10 games wouldn't fit your narrative.

You then started lying to others saying Deathloop was included on MC's Publisher of the Year award (news flash, it wasnt). As I noted before in a reply to you of which you never responded to, 3 of those games swept the majority of GOTY awards (FH5, Halo Infinite, Pyschnauts 2).

Furthermore, as a last resort you then tried to downplay the significance of it all by saying 2021 was a shit year. I guess Returnal, Ratchet & Metriod Dread were not "quality" games then?

Now when people ask what qualifies as a "quality" game to you, you won't reveal that list in fear that people will "spin" them as not "quality". Do you honestly not see the irony in this?

If this isn't a bannable offense, then I don't know what is. Disingenuous posts, lying, bad faith arguing & refusing to answer similar questions you pose to others. You are the embodiment of a walking meme at this point. How you are continued to be allowed to post jibberish is beyond me.

anothertech

Here's the updated catalog age with new GP releases and the PSPlus collection added:

RJLoBep.jpg

Obviously, as time passes the gap in catalog recency widens, it's now 4 years and 2 months on average between GP and PSNow. And the PSPlus collection (despite being good games overall) doesn't help since the most recent one is from 2018.

If you want to play games from the current decade there aren't several options at the moment.
I mean someone should take ign's template and put the relevant comparisons on there, like day one first party and catalogue size and price comparison side by side

It was a good try but they missed all the major points lol

kingfey

Banned
I mean someone should take ign's template and put the relevant comparisons on there, like day one first party and catalogue size and price comparison side by side

It was a good try but they missed all the major points lol
Its ign. They don't do any favor, for whatever list they make.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Hold up, you asked a similar question to others regarding what 10 "quality" day 1 games GP has & was thoroughly schooled by facts.

Even tried to weasel out of it by saying they werent of "quality". Which I then countered by listing Publisher of the Year, 2021 GAF GOTY & 2021 GOTY tracker, while also mentioning the average MC of those 10 games wouldn't fit your narrative.

You then started lying to others saying Deathloop was included on MC's Publisher of the Year award (news flash, it wasnt). As I noted before in a reply to you of which you never responded to, 3 of those games swept the majority of GOTY awards (FH5, Halo Infinite, Pyschnauts 2).

Furthermore, as a last resort you then tried to downplay the significance of it all by saying 2021 was a shit year. I guess Returnal, Ratchet & Metriod Dread were not "quality" games then?

Now when people ask what qualifies as a "quality" game to you, you won't reveal that list in fear that people will "spin" them as not "quality". Do you honestly not see the irony in this?

If this isn't a bannable offense, then I don't know what is. Disingenuous posts, lying, bad faith arguing & refusing to answer similar questions you pose to others. You are the embodiment of a walking meme at this point. How you are continued to be allowed to post jibberish is beyond me.

Report 'em and move on. No point in engaging with someone whose sole purpose of entering this thread is to troll.

S0ULZB0URNE

Didn't lie.
Oh noes I don't want to name a quality list of games to have people like you argue that they aren't quality.
I don't think 2021 was a good year for gaming, that's my opinion get over it.

You said...
"As I noted before in a reply to you of which you never responded to, 3 of those games swept the majority of GOTY awards (FH5, Halo Infinite, Pyschnauts 2)."

Maybe if we count ALL 3 vs a SINGLE ONE but none of those 3 on there own won the MAJORITY of GOTY awards.
That award went to...
It Takes Two.

Nobody said those games didn't perform well 🙄

Crying for me to be banned?

Ignore you go

octiny

Banned
Didn't lie.
Oh noes I don't want to name a quality list of games to have people like you argue that they aren't quality.
I don't think 2021 was a good year for gaming, that's my opinion get over it.

You said...
"As I noted before in a reply to you of which you never responded to, 3 of those games swept the majority of GOTY awards (FH5, Halo Infinite, Pyschnauts 2)."

Maybe if we count ALL 3 vs a SINGLE ONE but none of those 3 on there own won the MAJORITY of GOTY awards.
That award went to...
It Takes Two.

Nobody said those games didn't perform well 🙄

Crying for me to be banned?

Ignore you go

So you intend to ask people questions while withholding the same question to yourself? Is that your purpose on this forum? To retreat & hide when called out?

Also, you never answered. Are Returnal, Metriod & Ratchet quality games? Simple question.

Your reading comprehension of posts doesnt seem to be adequate. When someone names 3 seperate games & say they swept the majority of game awards, that usually means total, not singular.

"Nobody said they didn't perform well?" How do you define perform? Because they clearly were critically acclaimed titles w/ both critics & users. So how can you say they weren't "quality" titles? Or do you refuse to answer that question as well, after grilling others for answers.

Gamepass doesn't come close to the quality of games I buy.

LOL I know you aren't trying to post the terrible 2021 games as a metric!
One of the games on that list was EXCLUSIVE to PlayStation in 2021.

Just want to confirm, you believe Deathloop was on the MC MS publisher scoring list, correct? That is the list you quoted with that answer, twice now. Or do you want to backtrack that statement?

yBP60SO.jpg

PS+ being $80 cheaper isn't objective it's an actual fact.
Sure, but that's not what he was referring to.

You said, Xbox games were trash, and that PS games were far better. As well as it being $80 cheaper over the course of a year.

He points out that your take is objectively questionable, which it is. And you think clarifying PS+ being cheaper if paid anually is some kind of gotcha moment?

The fact of the matter is really this. Gamepass as a service has been a success since it launched, with it seeing steady growth, and being incredibly popular. Meanwhile, despite the larger userbase, PS+ has only a fraction of the subscribers GP does, with little to no growth, and generating almost no excitement.
One has been a resounding success, and the other has been a dismal failure. Seeing as PS+ has been the failure, Sony has decided to restructure it in the hopes that it can achieve results similar to GP.

Unfortunately, it seems most people still don't think that it's on par with GP. But we'll see how it goes.

Lognor

Banned
Yep. That's exactly it. We're not playing on a level playing field. You know what games are on Game Pass so you can say they're all garbage. I don't know what games you like so I can't say they're all garbage. Information is not equal. Keep it up and I'll go through your post history, find out what games you like, and then tell you they're garbage.

kingfey

Banned
Sadly, this seems to be the case in regards to him.

His credibility was always questionable but it's been completely slaughtered in this thread.
The funny thing about that, is that he has xbox. Yet in this thread, he says he buys quality games, and that gamepass doesn't have quality games.

So, why does he even have xbox in the 1st place, if he only buys quality games? Or does xbox have quality games, which means gamepass would also have quality games. Which makes, his points bad. It just doesn't make any sense at all.

octiny

Banned
The funny thing about that, is that he has xbox. Yet in this thread, he says he buys quality games, and that gamepass doesn't have quality games.

So, why does he even have xbox in the 1st place, if he only buys quality games? Or does xbox have quality games, which means gamepass would also have quality games. Which makes, his points bad. It just doesn't make any sense at all.

mind-blown-amazed.gif

delicious-tasty.gif

Tha's a bold claim.
The last sales data released had the PS5 at 17m sold, and the Xbox Series at 12m sold. That was at the beginning of 2022. Since then, the PS5 sold more in January, while the Series sold more in February. Claiming a console that's competitive, and that has outsold the PS5 2 out of the last 3 months will somehow be a failure is the bold claim here.
So now it's gone from a "division that hasn't shown a profit in a long time now" to a "division that does show profit but how big is it?" You're gonna wear yourself out at the rate you're moving goalposts here. Take it easy.
Well, I suppose it depends on how you look at it. You see it as MS "giving" the games to GP users with it having no effect on their GP subs numbers. Others may see that by putting those games on GP. that it will result in more people joining GP... As well as the revenue gained from sales of those games.

I'm sure you see it as "forcing MS's hand". Unfortunately for you, when you're as big, as profitable, and have as much capital as MS has... there's not much that "forces" MS to do anything.

reinking

Gold Member
Does anyone else think another component of this new service is Sony might be trying to force MS into an "annual" discount on Game Pass creating a situation in which they would generate less revenue from it? Or am I being dense? (I really could be over thinking it).

My thoughts, Sony has already made it clear they do not think streaming is the future so their most expensive tier (which is equally priced to Game Pass if you purchase it annually) is still a hedge bet that if they are wrong, they are not ignoring it. I believe they want that middle tier to be their target and if purchased annually it is cheaper than Game Pass and significantly cheaper than GPU. It could be a pricing play to see if MS will drop GP/U to an annual sub which would cut into revenue generated with each sub.

As I posted in another thread. I would like to see MS drop the current loopholes (even though I used them myself) and Gold and combine it with Game Pass. Leave the monthly price but add the $60 annual sub discount. GPU could then convert to a $100/$120(?) annual sub.

Like I said, I might be over-thinking it.

Lognor

Banned
Does anyone else think another component of this new service is Sony might be trying to force MS into an "annual" discount on Game Pass creating a situation in which they would generate less revenue from it? Or am I being dense? (I really could be over thinking it).

My thoughts, Sony has already made it clear they do not think streaming is the future so their most expensive tier (which is equally priced to Game Pass if you purchase it annually) is still a hedge bet that if they are wrong, they are not ignoring it. I believe they want that middle tier to be their target and if purchased annually it is cheaper than Game Pass and significantly cheaper than GPU. It could be a pricing play to see if MS will drop GP/U to an annual sub which would cut into revenue generated with each sub.

As I posted in another thread. I would like to see MS drop the current loopholes (even though I used them myself) and Gold and combine it with Game Pass. Leave the monthly price but add the $60 annual sub discount. GPU could then convert to a $100/$120(?) annual sub.

Yeah, you're definitely overthinking it. Sony is not making plays to try to reduce Xbox's revenue. They making plays to increase their revenues. Even if their actions did lead to Microsoft making changes that reduced their revenues, it's a drop in the bucket for Microsoft. Sony cannot go head to head with them.

I don't understand why people are clamoring for an annual plan. It's not necessary. Netflix, the leader in streaming content, does not offer an annual plan as far as I can tell. It's not a requirement to do so. Why are people getting hung up on this all of a sudden? Is it to try to make PS+ look better than it actually is? It's weird.

reksveks

Overthinking in my opinion, this is mainly about increasing the arpu of existing users instead of increasing competition for new users which would have a downward pressure on xbox revenue.

reinking

Gold Member
Yeah, you're definitely overthinking it. Sony is not making plays to try to reduce Xbox's revenue. They making plays to increase their revenues. Even if their actions did lead to Microsoft making changes that reduced their revenues, it's a drop in the bucket for Microsoft. Sony cannot go head to head with them.

I don't understand why people are clamoring for an annual plan. It's not necessary. Netflix, the leader in streaming content, does not offer an annual plan as far as I can tell. It's not a requirement to do so. Why are people getting hung up on this all of a sudden? Is it to try to make PS+ look better than it actually is? It's weird.
I appreciate the response instead of the usual :messenger_tears_of_joy: without an explanation that many exhibit here.

I would not use Netflix much longer as the example for end-all-be-all of streaming for a few reasons. First, Netflix has seen a significant price increase over the last few years as they can no longer run in loss-leader mode. They are also currently upsetting a lot of their loyal customers over the years with testing fees for shared accounts. In other words, once they got past their growth phase they are now looking into ways to generate more revenue . As I said, anecdotal I know, but myself and others I know no longer automatically renew the month-to-month plan with Netflix and only pay for the months that we are going to watch it. An annual sub could entice us into being locked down again.

MS, as a company, is allowing Xbox to operate in the loss-leader mode right now with Game Pass. I know some argue that it is already profitable but until MS shows the receipts I am not going to believe it. Reducing revenue prolongs that loss-leader mode and regardless of how much money MS has as a whole, it is not all Xbox money. Kind of like the argument that they do not have to make a return on the investment of Acti/Blizzard. That is now how companies, and more importantly, board of directors operate. They have an obligation to their shareholders and at some point investments will have to payoff. (I'm not saying they will not for MS).

As for being hung up on "this" all of a sudden. I am not sure what you mean. If you are talking about annual subs. This is not all of a sudden for me. I love discounted annual subs as I can sub once a year and forget about it. I don't feel obligated to get my "monthly" monies worth. As long as I use the service throughout the year the value evens out for me.

I admitted I was probably over thinking this and disagreement and feedback is fantastic. I just don't want this to be considered some kind of fanboyism of "durr..trying to make MS look bad/Sony look good" thinking because that is not it at all. I have and will most likely continue to support every console. I will always have favorite console/games but my biggest favorite thing above all is having options.

kingfey

Banned

The 2 services, serve different audience. Xbox love gold is for those who only wants online service, while gamepass is is those who want the service. MS shouldn't mix those 2. Since that would Overshadow actual gamepass numbers.

The new ps+ service is Sony attempt to overhaul psnow. That service existed for entire ps4 life cycle, but managed to bring 3m users, whils gamepass on other hand did 25m users, despite being 4 years old, and less userbase.

As for the day1 games, Sony sees themselves as market leaders. They know people will buy their games. $70 ps5 prices showed that.

kingfey

Banned
MS, as a company, is allowing Xbox to operate in the loss-leader mode right now with Game Pass. I know some argue that it is already profitable but until MS shows the receipts I am not going to believe it.
Games are cheap. They don't charge the same price as retail version. You also need to account the 30% cut 3rd party games lose to the platform holders.
$70 cost $49 after platform cut digitally. While disc also gets deduction from that price (disc labor cost and shipping cost).

Then you have to calculate, how many do these sell on these platform. 5m copy sold in year would have 2m PS(120m), 2m pc(120m steam alone), 1m xbox(55m), because of the userbase ratio.
It will cost $50m for day1 games, to put it on gamepass (plus other cost). Only timed exclusives are the expensive ones. Since you will need to cover certain copies, which would have been sold on the other platforms.

It will have cost them losses on 1st 2 years, due to userbase numbers. But after that, the service managed to cover the cost by itself.

Topher

Gold Member

I'm not going to go back through that conversation, but one can own an Xbox, not subscribe to Game Pass, and buy quality games on Xbox. In fact, most Xbox owners do not have Game Pass.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
I'm not going to go back through that conversation, but one can own an Xbox, not subscribe to Game Pass, and buy quality games on Xbox. In fact, most Xbox owners do not have Game Pass.
The issue is claiming gamepass doesn't have quality games, which means xbox doesn't produce quality games.
Whether you own gamepass or not is irrelevant. Because gamepass isn't the one that is making the games. It's 3rd party and xbox.
By saying that claim, it means anyone who put their games there, doesn't make quality games.

Top Bottom