• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How PlayStation Plus Compares to Xbox Game Pass and Nintendo Switch Online

Dr Bass

Day 1 is a core feature of Gamepass that makes it better than its competitors. It's not just a happy accident lmao
So? It’s a dumb ass marketing phrase. And “better” … eh. First off, are the games better? Your time is infinitely more valuable than your money. So if it gets you to play a bunch of mediocre stuff and waste your time … that’s not better to me. I’d much rather spend 70 bucks each on the games I want than root through what I have available. That to me is an objectively better setup and life than what the current situation is. Maybe when starfield hits that will change. Currently, it ain’t good.

And back to the phrase.

Do you remember in the late 90s (if you were around) how AOL coined the phrase “you’ve got mail!” You can probably hear it in your head as you read that.

Now do you remember a show called Crank Yankers that had a less than intelligent character who would incessantly say “I’ve got mail, I’ve got mail, yaaaaaaay. I’ve got mail, I’ve got mail, yaaaaaaay”?

“Day one games, day one games, yaaaaaaay!”

Yeah, that’s how it comes across.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
What in the blue rat madness is going on here now. All I’ve seen is that subscription services are shit for the last few years and now suddenly everywhere I look on social media in the last 24 hours there is i guess a small vocal minority of insane Sony fans doing list wars and stanning for this new service with very little concrete details. I am actually sure these are the same accounts that were saying how shit these services are etc.

crazy stuff. I didn’t think it was happening yesterday but now im seeing it with my own eyes.

also, war is genuine crazy. The number one talking point and argument back and forth is literally becuase Sony announced their plans. It just proves no matter the battle ground the war will wage on. Little cuck soldiers on both sides waiting for their general overlords to announce their new plan or service or game and the little soldier ants ready to war over it.

pathetic That there can be so much investment and war over these massive corporations. Microsoft releasing game pass made Sony announce a better service. Sony have laid out their plans and now MS may respond in making game pass better. basically, the age old truth that competition makes customer win sings True once again.

Last edited:

Rykan

As you quoted me quoting him...
He said "plenty of quality day one releases"
So no much of what you added I wouldn't consider quality.
Okay but then that whole discussion is pointless.

"Give me a list of good games.
"Here is a list of games"
"No I personally think those are not good games".

Thats just going nowhere. Objectively, these games have received good scores from critics and are fairly popular games.

Last edited:

T0minator

Right now at this point in time MS has released these games on GP
Over 5yrs they released
Forza Motorsport 7
Sea of Thieves
State of Decay 2
Forza Horizon 4
Crackdown 3
Gears 5
Ori
Halo:MCC
Gears Tactics
MS: Flight Simulator
Psychonauts 2
Forza Horizon 5
Halo Infinite

In June PS Plus will have
Horizon Zero Dawn
Bloodborne
God of War
Uncharted 4
Detroit Become Human
Shadow of the Colossus
Days Gone
Death Stranding
Spider-Man
Miles Morales
The Last of Us
Returnal
+ PS1,PS2,PS3, PSP games for "free" with the service along with Astro's Playroom. It's a solid start.

At this point and in June there won't be a drastic difference between the services. Both will have content. MS will have alot more coming starting in 2023. Sony may be planning for that in their own way.

Sony and Microsoft have different strategies. Sony's wants to continue to sell their games(like Nintendo)

Those game sales will help fund their services better.
The sales revenue will support more content in their services boosting growth in subs and revenue.

That revenue from more subs will help fund the budgets of their games. It's a growth cycle.

Sony and Nintendo need game sales. MS is betting more on subscription numbers than game sales.

reksveks

MS is betting more on subscription numbers than game sales.
MS is betting on user growth (think this better highlights the play cause its not just the revenue from GP subscription fee but also the revenue from the MS store)

Might be interesting and also kinda unfair to plot GP sub numbers vs software revenue.

Also could plot PS software revenue vs MAU.

Last edited:

T0minator

MS is betting on user growth (think this better highlights the play cause its not just the revenue from GP subscription fee but also the revenue from the MS store)

Might be interesting and also kinda unfair to plot GP sub numbers vs software revenue.

Also could plot PS software revenue vs MAU.

Seems more like Sony is going to go big on both services and selling 1st party content.

No one can argue that Day 1 in GP doesn't affect 1st Party games potential sales peaks. They don't reach the highest of high sales because ppl will just download them instead in GP.

GP is making great revenue but the sales figures of their games have been affected. Halo Infinite may be the least sold Halo ever we really don't know tho.

Sony and Nintendo have very similar strategies. Sell their games as normal and feed content into their services to get profit from both games and service at their full potential

reksveks

Seems more like Sony is going to go big on both services and selling 1st party content.

No one can argue that Day 1 in GP doesn't affect 1st Party games potential sales peaks. They don't reach the highest of high sales because ppl will just download them instead in GP.

GP is making great revenue but the sales figures of their games have been affected. Halo Infinite may be the least sold Halo ever we really don't know tho.

Sony and Nintendo have very similar strategies. Sell their games as normal and feed content into their services to get profit from both games and service at their full potential
I am not arguing that first party full game sales won't be suppressed but I am highlighting that there is more revenue that xbox is counting than just the GP sub fee. There might be reduced profitability in terms of margin in that tactic but it works fine if you can get scale aka Apple.

It's the kind of maths that they are doing here.

Tldr, Sony would have required a 25% user growth if we assumed that first party games was 50% (very unlikely) of the full game revenue and arpu for the other types of revenue was constant. This would have match rev but not the profit/oi.

Sony's first party revenue is big but its not what's driving the general boat (that's mtx/DLC). MS would have been even less so imo.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

Right now at this point in time MS has released these games on GP
Over 5yrs they released
Forza Motorsport 7
Sea of Thieves
State of Decay 2
Forza Horizon 4
Crackdown 3
Gears 5
Ori
Halo:MCC
Gears Tactics
MS: Flight Simulator
Psychonauts 2
Forza Horizon 5
Halo Infinite

In June PS Plus will have
Horizon Zero Dawn
Bloodborne
God of War
Uncharted 4
Detroit Become Human
Shadow of the Colossus
Days Gone
Death Stranding
Spider-Man
Miles Morales
The Last of Us
Returnal
+ PS1,PS2,PS3, PSP games for "free" with the service along with Astro's Playroom. It's a solid start.

At this point and in June there won't be a drastic difference between the services. Both will have content. MS will have alot more coming starting in 2023. Sony may be planning for that in their own way.

Sony and Microsoft have different strategies. Sony's wants to continue to sell their games(like Nintendo)

Those game sales will help fund their services better.
The sales revenue will support more content in their services boosting growth in subs and revenue.

That revenue from more subs will help fund the budgets of their games. It's a growth cycle.

Sony and Nintendo need game sales. MS is betting more on subscription numbers than game sales.
Just a few clarifications:
- TLOU isn’t even the PS4 version, it’s the PS3 one because none of the ND games for PS4 are on the service permanently. So streaming it is;
- Uncharted 4 isn’t on the service, I haven’t seen it’s getting added but maybe I missed it;
- Spider-Man is the PS4 version. For MM and Death Stranding nobody knows which it’ll be;
- SotC isn’t the PS4 remake but the PS3 one… so again, streaming.

See where I’m going with this? A lot of people never used PSNow and don’t realize just how much stuff isn’t there, even first party. You want to play Resistance 1/2? The last guardian? Motorstorm Pacific Storm? Well tough shit cause they ain’t on the service.

The fact that ND games from last gen aren’t on the service should tell you all you need to know.

Is it going to change? Maybe. Until then don’t compare the two catalogs.

Certainly is. You can count. Well done. The argument isn’t what is cheaper.
That was the sore point for you.
j1QbPTx.png

Filben

Now weight in for I don't know how many times I got the Game Pass (on PC) for 1 EUR because I always disable auto renew and get immediately notified by MS after the end of subscription that I could try out Game Pass for only 1 EUR, this is hands down the best deal.

Even if I had to pay 10 EUR per month.

So? It’s a dumb ass marketing phrase.
No, it's a core feature.
And “better” … eh. First off, are the games better?
That's entirely subjective.
And back to the phrase.

Do you remember in the late 90s (if you were around) how AOL coined the phrase “you’ve got mail!” You can probably hear it in your head as you read that.
"You've got mail" is a marketing phrase. Day one is a core feature and differentiatior.

Gears 5 bombed hard sales wise because of gamepass. they were even offering 3 months GP for 1$ with the game launching.

Chukhopops

Gears 5 bombed hard sales wise because of gamepass. they were even offering 3 months GP for 1$ with the game launching.
You got any numbers? Cause all I could find is:

And this:

Phil Spencer: Gears 5 sold well for us. It sold better than Gears 4. And we feel good about it. If people want to make the choice of buying Gears, that's an option we want to give them. I'm not trying to funnel everybody who wants to play Gears into the subscription. It's about giving gamers choice.
So nothing really indicating what you’re saying at all.

Leyasu

Banned

And this:

Source: Trust me bro

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Okay but then that whole discussion is pointless.

"Give me a list of good games.
"Here is a list of games"
"No I personally think those are not good games".

Thats just going nowhere. Objectively, these games have received good scores from critics and are fairly popular games.

Ditto, this is why I'm not bothering quoting that user again lol. The 10 games I added aren't quality, the 10 games you add aren't quality.The 10 game the next person adds won't be quality. I guess no game's quality unless it has "Sony Computer entertainment" in the publisher lol.

It's a strawman argument wrapped in a bad faith wrapper.

Now do you remember a show called Crank Yankers that had a less than intelligent character who would incessantly say “I’ve got mail, I’ve got mail, yaaaaaaay. I’ve got mail, I’ve got mail, yaaaaaaay”?

“Day one games, day one games, yaaaaaaay!”

Yeah, that’s how it comes across.

cocaine-hell.gif

Last edited:

And this:

Head of Xbox saying the game sold well... The charts at the time showed it bombed hard.

Show me a source, some numbers, anything. Like I did but showing your point instead. I think the one which flopped was Gears 4, but 5 performed better and the MP was active for years.
I remember reading more articles like this at the time, this was 1st result in my google search now.

1st result in my GAF search:

Last edited:

adamsapple

Show me a source, some numbers, anything. Like I did but showing your point instead. I think the one which flopped was Gears 4, but 5 performed better and the MP was active for years.

I'm not expecting them to follow up with any concrete evidence, so here's what I can find via a little google-fu.

Gears 5 had 3+ million players over the first weekend. But to be fair, it launched on game pass. So the important number here is user metrics.

As PropellerEar PropellerEar already posted.

The dreaded UK Boxed sales showed lesser sales, but then again Zhuge also noted that majority of sales were digital "BY FAR". In UK, we have seen Xbox digital adaption go as high as 80~% in recent times to give you an idea.

And despite being on game pass day 1, Gears 5 still sold better at retail compared to Gears 4 as per Phil Spencer.

So, no, it's safe to say Gears 5 did not bomb. But if someone wishes really really hard, they can continue to believe that it did.

Last edited:
I wish GAF had a button I could press to remove all posts with people simping over their preferred plastic box from multi-billion dollar corporations, but the topics would only be a quarter their current size.

Banjo64

cumsessed
I'm getting tired with all those subs bullshits, the only reason i still sub PS+ is to play fighting games online (and Red Dead Online, but since sometimes Rockstar abandoned this game),and still no idea how BC is gonna work? can i just buy and download the classic game i want without being forced into their sub service thing? Or what?

Maybe it's time to switch to PC.
Stacked Game Pass and still got another 18 months left but after that I’m going to go subless as well (Switch aside maybe because £12 a year is insignificant and I play Smash, MK and Splatoon online).

Apex, Rocket League and Halo are my main MP console games and they’re all F2P.

I’ll sub to regular Game Pass for 1 month to play Bathesda’s games and Obsidian’s.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

I remember reading more articles like this at the time, this was 1st result in my google search now.

1st result in my GAF search:
Interesting, I guess it’s true that it decreased in physical sales. I still think it performed better in lifetime sales compared to Gears 4 which was the low point of the series.

Faithless83

Banned
Aside of the day1 games, both service would have the same price, unless Sony only does old games, which is cheap.
Then you have ps+ in this list having more games. That is alot of money keeping that service up.
They are already pulling a profit with that small psnow numbers. That's why I said two of them are profitable and one is sustainable.

They have been doing that with Xbox console since 2001
they said they have never made a profit with Xbox console sales ever lol
so they have shown that they can do it
any other company would have gone bankrupt by now like Sega for an example

That's 20+ years already, plus what was spent on Activision...
Well .. they're a multi trillion dollar company and their CEO has pledged full support for the gaming/entertainment division.

So I'm guessing they can keep feeding it for quite a while.

Not that we as gamers should care about what either company's revenue is when objectively comparing two subscription service and their output of games.
And that's where you're wrong. More profits, more investments on new games, like Sony and Nintendo have been doing for a while.
On the xbox side prior to Forza 5 and Halo Infinity it has been a very dry release schedule while Sony and Nintendo were pumping out AAA games throughout the same timeframe.

adamsapple

And that's where you're wrong. More profits, more investments on new games, like Sony and Nintendo have been doing for a while.
On the xbox side prior to Forza 5 and Halo Infinity it has been a very dry release schedule while Sony and Nintendo were pumping out AAA games throughout the same timeframe.

Hence the acquisitions.

There's more first party games in development at XGS right now than maybe all of their output on Xbox One and 360 combined.

Exciting times ahead.

Chukhopops

They are already pulling a profit with that small psnow numbers. That's why I said two of them are profitable and one is sustainable.

That's 20+ years already, plus what was spent on Activision...

I refuse to believe people are dumb enough to not understand the articles they quote.

The article you quote is about hardware, not revenue of the division. Let me paste the relevant parts for you:

Lori Wright, who is a third-party witness in the case, was asked by Epic lawyer Wes Earnhardt “how much margin does Microsoft earn on the sale on the Xbox consoles?”

“We don’t. We sell the consoles at a loss,” she responded, according to Protocol.

Asked if Microsoft has ever earned a profit on the sale of an Xbox device, she said “no.”
“Hardware being unprofitable certainly played a bigger role in the late 90’s and early 2000’s (oh and PS3 era lol),” Niko Partners senior analyst Daniel Ahmad tweeted in response to Wright’s testimony.

“Both the PS5 and Series X/S are being sold at a loss right now, but will become profitable down the line most likely.
By the way the same article estimates MS made more than 1bn USD profit in 2019. Since then their revenue has increased by 30%.

r1UG6iq.jpg

That would put MS profit between 1.6B and 2.3B. And it’s a court document with legal value. Just stop with the profit thing, it’s been done to death.

Last edited:
Well, it sold better than Gears 4 despite being available on Game Pass day 1 on both PC and Xbox.

I wouldn't call that disappointing in any shape or form. But I guess everyone is entitled to feel differently about it.

Interesting, I guess it’s true that it decreased in physical sales. I still think it performed better in lifetime sales compared to Gears 4 which was the low point of the series.

According to Zhuge on ree Gears5 sale success is creative MSFT PR just like I said.

Last edited:

Faithless83

Banned
I refuse to believe people are dumb enough to not understand the articles they quote.

The article you quote is about hardware, not revenue of the division. Let me paste the relevant parts for you:

By the way the same article estimates MS made more than 1bn USD profit in 2019. Since then their revenue has increased by 30%.

r1UG6iq.jpg

That would put MS profit between 1.6B and 2.3B. And it’s a court document with legal value. Just stop with the profit thing, it’s been done to death.
You are not understanding what profit means and why I made the distinction that Gamepass isn't profitable, but sustainable.

Microsoft as a whole, not the gaming division. MS has windows, office, Azure and a shitton of other products too.
The XBOX division (since we are talking games here, right?) is the not profitable one.

mHP6YOP.png

Better understand the basics before calling people "dumb enough to not understand the articles they quote." :messenger_sunglasses:

Lognor

Banned
No need to get triggered. Math is universal, english isn't.
Now connect the dots.
Telling someone not to get triggered. That's your whole thing. LOL. Every thread I see you in a thread you get triggered. It might be time for you to take a break. I think you probably worship your little plastic box a bit too much. If someone says something you don't agree with there is no need to go off the rails. You seem to always take criticism of your favorite company as a personal affront. Every time.

Chukhopops

You are not understanding what profit means and why I made the distinction that Gamepass isn't profitable, but sustainable.

Microsoft as a whole, not the gaming division. MS has windows, office, Azure and a shitton of other products too.
The XBOX division (since we are talking games here, right?) is the not profitable one.

mHP6YOP.png

Better understand the basics before calling people "dumb enough to not understand the articles they quote." :messenger_sunglasses:
You think the 1.6-2.3BN number from the court case is the total profit of Microsoft? For a whole year? You think MS as a whole makes less profit than Nintendo?

Just trying to assess the brain damage here.

reksveks

mHP6YOP.png

You think Microsoft makes 1.6-2.3bn in profit in a year? The whole company? What division?

If not, what's the number representing?

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
You think the 1.6-2.3BN number from the court case is the total profit of Microsoft? For a whole year? You think MS as a whole makes less profit than Nintendo?

Just trying to assess the brain damage here.
The moment he said xbox isn't profitable, is the moment he lost his credibility.
I dont know how dumb do you have to be to reach that conclusion.

Swift_Star

Banned
Telling someone not to get triggered. That's your whole thing. LOL. Every thread I see you in a thread you get triggered. It might be time for you to take a break. I think you probably worship your little plastic box a bit too much. If someone says something you don't agree with there is no need to go off the rails. You seem to always take criticism of your favorite company as a personal affront. Every time.
You’re writing a lot to save face. That is pretty telling. You should take your own advice. :messenger_smiling:

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
The moment he said xbox isn't profitable, is the moment he lost his credibility.
I dont know how dumb do you have to be to reach that conclusion.

Do we have any data to support whether Xbox is profitable or not at all? I don't think I've ever seen Microsoft break that information out in their financial results.

Top Bottom