• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How proud are you when gaming?

How proud are you when gaming?

• Top proudness. If I don't find the solution myself I rather drop the game than look for it

• Very proud. I'd try for hours to find the solution by myself before looking for it

• Proud enough. Won't look for solutions until I'm a little stuck

• No at all proud. I'd look for guides while playing to save time and get the best path

• -10 proudness. I'll watch guides even before I start the game so I don't stumble upon any hard wall

Results are only viewable after voting.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
I play pretty much every game on Hard on my first playthrough as challenge generally in most games has gone down drastically over the years. That said, on more than a handful of occasions, I'll find my self confused by an objective or just plain not understanding a strategy of some sort and will give a honest shot for a while, but right as I get that, "I'm about to beat my head against the wall" feeling, I'll just google shit. I love to be challenged, but I'm not gonna beat myself up over some artificial sense of self-pride either.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Proud enough. Granted, most of my gaming is in the RPG genre, so barring the few puzzles that are usually strewn throughout the campaign, the meat of the difficulty comes in figuring out the correct strategy for battles, in which case I'm far more likely to beat my head against the wall repeatedly until I brute force it or learn the method the game intends for me to use than I am to look it up online.

nkarafo

I used to be very proud. Nowadays i'm just proud enough. If i'm stuck for too long, i'll look for a guide because the older i get the more precious my time on the planet seems.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
1282431409_TheLegendofZeldaMajorasMask-OfficialPerfectGuide.thumb.jpg.e6a036e1be1fc53c89b88cf9044c8cdd.jpg

I just like the hints, inadvertent walkthroughs I think physical guides are great. YouTube tutorials are Wild.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I'd rather make all discoveries on my own, but if I get stuck I have no problem Googling the solution.

Kacho

Gold Member
When I look something up it’s because I missed something small and don’t know how to progress. Happens sometimes because I fly though dialogue or I’m not paying attention.

Last edited:

SteadyEvo

Somewhere between Proud enough and -10 Pride. I’ve grown softer with age. Remember completely Ninja Gaiden Black on the hardest difficulty. So determined. Something to work on.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I often try for some time on my own but, if I can figure it outz I'll just google it out.

Had to do it for two mage towers in Elden Ring. Now way I could have figured that shit out.

Ceadeus

Very! I won't usually look for any clue unless there seem to be missable objects or loot or also cryptic true ending. That stuff usually piss me off.

peronmls

Not proud when I have to look up solutions.
I'm proud when I beat a game on its hardest but fair difficulty.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I don't know why, but I hate looking for guides. I'd be stuck for hours but in the end I find the solution by myself.

Only way I'd look for guides is if I'm not too invested in the game and a second run requires some obscure stuff to unlock things so I don't waste too much time.

How about you?

As a kid, I didn't have the choice. I would find it on my own or ask friends on the playground.

As an adult, I have limited time. I want to enjoy the game and if there is something that I am struggling with or something is stupidly obtuse (looking at you, classic Point and Click Adventure games), I will use a guide after 10-15 minutes.

Juza

I am against using guide "especially video guides" to play because as some have mentioned here, there is no point in gaming!
the game will become just a work that you have to finish only to satisfy yourself falsely that you've beaten the game! while you actually did nothing by yourself! you just followed someone else's steps to beat the game, rather than exploring the game's world, quests and secrets by yourself! this is what called experience!

However, I am not fully against the guide, especially the good old text guide, because It has a minimum spoilers, I use it in some situations like if there is something wrong preventing the game progress"potential bug"or stupid quest design causes you confusion.

I use guides if I need to these days. I got more limited time to play games. Not worth the headache. I will try and figure it out on my own for a little bit until I hit the point where I just have no clue.

Top Bottom