• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How sugar may make you stupid

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Eat more carbs. Work harder. Reap benefits.

#Bulking #AcquiringMass

This is only good for people who want to lift weights and get huge like the wrestler in your avatar. Nothing wrong with that, but most people aren't interested, I would think.

TheExodu5

Banned
Again - I'm not arguing the fructose aspect - show me where I say the same about fructose? I'm speaking in generalizations about glucose. I understand it's 50/50 - I'm talking specifically about the GLUCOSE aspect.

Seriously. I'm not M Night Shyamalan - don't go looking for shit between the lines of my post.

Let's see:

Also, sugar isn't the culprit - it is GLUCOSE. Glucose is what carbohydrates are turned into when your body digests them. Carbs as in bread, pasta, whole grains, wheat, sugars, etc.

You say glucose is the culprit. This is false. Glucose is one culprit. Fructose is a much larger culprit, and you fail to acknowledge this.

They are all glucose.

They are not all glucose.

Again:
Glucose = glucose
Sucrose = 50% fructose + 50% glucose
HFCS55 = 55% fructose + 42% glucose

Just because they all contain glucose, does not mean they are all glucose. Certain types of sugars are far more detrimental to your health.

Eating large amounts of whole grains produces the same effect as eating large amounts of sugar - the main difference is how quickly your body can turn a raw ingredient such as whole grains into glucose vs a refined material like table sugar.

Again, entirely false. Sugar is much more detrimental than glucose because it contains fructose. Sugar will result in far greater LDL and fat gain than glucose.

Shall I go on?

Fireye

Fructose is generally in very low concentration in fruits and vegetables. As long as you're not overdoing it, I wouldn't worry about it.

I did a bit of searching for info on a reddit thread (which I would crosspost, but it's down at the moment). NutritionData's info for an Apple shows that one large apple has:
Sugars: 23.2g
Sucrose: 4617mg
Glucose: 5419mg
Fructose: 13157mg

Sucrose breaks down to 50/50 Glucose/Fructose, so it works out to:
Glucose: 7727mg (7.7g)
Fructose: 15465mg (15.5g)

once broken down, at least. This of course relies on NutritionData to be accurate. I don't know any other good sources that break down carbohydrate composition.

Jack_AG

Banned
That all of those things contain glucose != that all of those things are glucose. You're very wrong if you think all of those foods act on the body the same way.

Your body turns those foods into glucose for cellular consumption. They start life as "carbs" and wind up "glucose".

This is why diabetics count carbs - not just sugar content. I don't look at a nutrition label and say "oh good - 56 carbs per serving but only 7 sugars!" No - i read that 56 as direct glucose, the end result after my body breaks it down.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
I only drink coke zero from time to time. Which I guess results in higher risk of cancer after reading some threads posted on here?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I did a bit of searching for info on a reddit thread (which I would crosspost, but it's down at the moment). NutritionData's info for an Apple shows that one large apple has:
Sugars: 23.2g
Sucrose: 4617mg
Glucose: 5419mg
Fructose: 13157mg

Sucrose breaks down to 50/50 Glucose/Fructose, so it works out to:
Glucose: 7727mg (7.7g)
Fructose: 15465mg (15.5g)

once broken down, at least. This of course relies on NutritionData to be accurate. I don't know any other good sources that break down carbohydrate composition.

He didn't mean proportionally to glucose, but in absolute terms. A 20 oz bottle of Coca-Cola has 65 grams of sugar etc.

Jack_AG

Banned
Let's see:

You say glucose is the culprit. This is false. Glucose is one culprit. Fructose is a much larger culprit, and you fail to acknowledge this.

They are not all glucose.

Again:
Glucose = glucose
Sucrose = 50% fructose + 50% glucose
HFCS55 = 55% fructose + 42% glucose

Just because they all contain glucose, does not mean they are all glucose. Certain types of sugars are far more detrimental to your health.

Again, entirely false. Sugar is much more detrimental than glucose because it contains fructose. Sugar will result in far greater LDL and fat gain than glucose.

Shall I go on?

FFS man - I'm talking about the direct result of GLUCOSE. No shit your body turns fructose into glycogen, lipids, etc by the liver - it does not require insulin for your body to use. I'm talking about WHAT DOES REQUIRE INSULIN.

The quote in my original post stated insulin regulates SUGAR LEVELS. Even you know that sugar isn't straight glucose.

Again, read my previous edit - I use the term "sugar" because that's how everyone understands GLUCOSE the easiest. My mom always asks "how are your sugars?" Family does, too. So I constantly refer to glucose as SUGAR - since it seems that's the extent everyone understands who does not know the difference.

Yes there are differences between table sugar and whole grains. I'm just speaking in generalizations.

Interfectum

Sugar isn't bad in moderation. An alcoholic drink here and there won't turn your liver toxic. An over-abundance, will. Same shit here.

But the problem is people don't treat sugar like alcohol.

You act as if "everyone knows sugar is bad lawl" and that is simply not the case. People don't understand carbs, sugar, etc. Fuck 10 years ago I'd drink 6-7 cokes a day on top of pizza, carbs, fast food, you name it. I knew what I was doing was 'bad' but not 'alcohol bad.' Luckily I smartened up before I gave myself some dumb illness caused by malnutrition.

Arksy

Watch Sugar: The Bitter Truth

Synopsis: the majority of glucose is metabolized by the liver and fills glycogen stores, and the rest goes to fat. Fructose cannot be metabolized by the liver, period. All of it turns to fat. Sucrose is half glucose, half fructose.

That's actually incorrect. It's not that the liver can't metabolise fructose, it is that ONLY the liver can metabolise fructose and if you watch the video you'll see that it's about 30% of the fructose that gets converted straight to fat. Not 100%

As far as glutens go, I'd be more worried about genetically modified products.

That said: I can’t get myself to eat brown-rice based bread so I just cut down my intake and will continue to do so till I find a more palatable solution :(

TheExodu5

Banned
That's actually incorrect. It's not that the liver can't metabolise fructose, it is that ONLY the liver can metabolise fructose and if you watch the video you'll see that it's about 30% of the fructose that gets converted straight to fat. Not 100%

Yeah I most certainly posted a bit too hastily there. It's been a while since I've watched it so my memory was fuzzy. Thanks for the correction.

This is only good for people who want to lift weights and get huge like the wrestler in your avatar. Nothing wrong with that, but most people aren't interested, I would think.

Oh, I know. I just want people to get a different perspective as well. You seem to know what's up.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
So basically, go ahead and eat a ton of sugar as long as you follow it up with some flaxseed oil and a DHA capsule.

Yep.

Now I can gorge myself on sugar and bread. Time to get some DHA capsules!

Also I know wheat contains antinutrients, but arent those in miniscule amounts? Does it actually have the effect that people on this site would have you believe?

bdouble

Yep.

Now I can gorge myself on sugar and bread. Time to get some DHA capsules!

Also I know wheat contains antinutrients, but arent those in miniscule amounts? Does it actually have the effect that people on this site would have you believe?

There is a lot of evidence of that the American Standard Diet is quite damning in general. I mean look at obesity and cancer rates. In the end even without the antinutrients wheat has next to no nutritional value. Well it may have some but its no where near what a good veggie or other quality food will get ya.

black_13

Banned
Or how about you worry about yourself and allow a free country to remain that way.

We need education, not regulation.
True education is always better. But which is easier to fix right now? Regulate sugar/hfcs or fix the education system?
Most of societies problems can be solved with education but good luck getting more taxes from tax payers for education. You still need some regulation or else we all would have to read the ingredients of every product we buy. There will never be a corporation that would put its users health above its profits.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
"it may also make you stupid, according to research out of California."

"rats"

"research needs to be done on the specific affects on humans."

Resilient

"it may also make you stupid, according to research out of California."

"rats"

"research needs to be done on the specific affects on humans."

Thanks guy. I never gathered any of that from the thread titled "How sugar may make you stupid", nor from the similarly titled article.

cryptic

I feel smarter following the advice of danny roddy and ray peat. A quart of ice cream a day keep's the doctor away.

Sugar = Carbohydrate
What actually makes people gain weight in the US = Carbohydrates.
What the US thinks makes people gain weight in the US = Sugar, Fats, and Stuff.
What the US tells you is good for you = Carbohydrates.
What makes you dumb sometimes = Diabetes.
What causes and contributes to Diabetes = Carbohydrates.
vUR7s.jpg

Quick, what is the opposite of sugar so I can become a genius.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Eat fat to grow brain. It's how we got here.

Sugar = Carbohydrate
What actually makes people gain weight in the US = Carbohydrates.
What the US thinks makes people gain weight in the US = Sugar, Fats, and Stuff.
What the US tells you is good for you = Carbohydrates.
What makes you dumb sometimes = Diabetes.
What causes and contributes to Diabetes = Carbohydrates.

Quick, what is the opposite of sugar so I can become a genius.

What actually makes people gain weight in the US = eating more calories than they burn.

Piecake

As far as glutens go, I'd be more worried about genetically modified products.

That said: I can’t get myself to eat brown-rice based bread so I just cut down my intake and will continue to do so till I find a more palatable solution :(

stop eating bread and grain all together? Its really not all that hard once you make it a habit. Personally, i think burgers, etc taste better without the bread/bun now anyways

Srsly

Banned
Oh right I forgot, GAF eats less than 30 grams of carbs a day, eating beans and quinoa is bad for you.

Carbs aren't bad if you're insulin sensitive and move around a lot. Carbs are clearly bad news for people who aren't insulin sensitive and/or are sedentary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom