• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Super Mario 64 changed the face of the games industry – 25th Anniversary

BlackTron

I'm going to be straight with you since you seem genuine, the people attacking me are making up posts that never happened, I never said Sonic Adventure was better than Mario 64 or directly compared them in the other thread. But they lied about that and caused confusion as you just proved.

I also never said I hated Mario 64, I only said I didn't think it was one of the best games ever made, which is a high rank. Otherwise outside control and camera issues it's a perfectly fine game to have fun with.

This guy is an expert at claiming he's been wronged while totally ignoring any factual information brought to the table that does not fit his narrative.

He's like an American giving a history lesson on Christopher Columbus using a bunch of random info found online, to a room full of Native Americans.

You weren't there, you don't get it, and everybody knows you don't get it.

nkarafo

Even though PC gamers were busy playing Quake, they were still pretty impressed by this game. I remember a friend of mine who had a PC and he wanted to experience the game in a way so much, i had to record about 2 hours of my gameplay on a VHS cassette so he can watch! Needless to say, with games like Super Metroid and Mario 64, the guy became a die hard Nintendo fan.

Sure, that's just one anecdote but everyone who was gaming back then remembers how popular Ultra HLE was when it came out. It could only play a few games but Mario 64 was one of them and PC gamers absolutely loved it.

So i don't know where this narrative that PC gamers didn't care about it comes from.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
What I find surprising is that it took 11 years to go from SMB to SM64. That is a lot of evolution. Now we get 2 Mario games in 10 years if we are lucky.

SM64, while absolutely a major industry definer, did not age all that well. The game is rather brutal for the platforming when compared to more forgiving Mario games and the dated graphics exacerbate that issue.

jigglet

Banned
I remember being at the shop and being handed the N64 controller to have a turn but I passed on it: I was so shocked at what was on screen I couldn't even bring myself to play it. My eyes were just fixated on the screen. I was stunned.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I liked it better in the Switch 3D Collection than ever before. Learning 3D movement back then was hard, and Mario was so much harder and more complex to move around than Spyro or Banjo or most of what came after Mario 64. The game was pretty obscure for its time, too.

Now? I can safely say replaying Mario 64 on Switch was my best time with video games in 2020. It still plays like no othet.

NikuNashi

What I find surprising is that it took 11 years to go from SMB to SM64. That is a lot of evolution. Now we get 2 Mario games in 10 years if we are lucky.

SM64, while absolutely a major industry definer, did not age all that well. The game is rather brutal for the platforming when compared to more forgiving Mario games and the dated graphics exacerbate that issue.
Dated graphics!? It released 25 years ago!! The gameplay was leagues better than odyssey, sunshine and anything else apart from galaxy 2.

Bragr

Banned
It's only nonsense to you because you didn't have common sense, most devs aren't influenced by it outside of consoles,
This is not true though, what Super Mario 64 revolutionized was not just 3D camera or level design, but how you guide a player in 3D space. Those principles, of where a player stands, what they look at, what they want to engage in, how much they understand the map from each given position, how long it takes a player to traverse space. All of that and more was defined through Super Mario 64. Games had dabbled in such things, but Mario 64 brought it into full 3D, where every object was fully realized, and every space was designed with 3D movement in mind. It was a complete game-changer and it's not just GTA or Assassins Creed which was inspired by it, but most 3D games in general.

well my older brother bought it on day wone in the UK and i was blown away. it was incredibly polished (music, level design and even how Mario moved) still holds up so well now albeit it's a bit basic compared to what we are used to nowadays.

I believe Zelda Ocarina of Time was more revolutionary than Super Mario 64, but of course SM64 had a big impact in the industry as well. The roles were reverse then, The Legend of Zelda was one of the first open world games ever but its impact was not as great or felt immediately as Super Mario Bros did in that era. SM64 was doing stuff not many games were doing so well, but it was Zelda OOT that time the one with a major influence and offering a glimpse of what would come later.
tbf Ocarina of Time didn't do anything that Megaman Legends on PS1 didn't do prior aswell

the_master

One of the greatest and most influential games in all history. A true master piece. Next game that was so influential was Halo Combat Evolved.
I am looking forward to the next game of this level

What Super Mario 64 revolutionized was not just 3D camera or level design, but how you guide a player in 3D space. Those principles, of where a player stands, what they look at, what they want to engage in, how much they understand the map from each given position, how long it takes a player to traverse space. All of that and more was defined through Super Mario 64. Games had dabbled in such things, but Mario 64 brought it into full 3D, where every object was fully realized, and every space was designed with 3D movement in mind. It was a complete game-changer and it's not just GTA or Assassins Creed which was inspired by it, but most 3D games in general.

This is just flat out bullhonkey, 99% of the games that release on console the last many years got their influence from PC DOS and Windows.

Mario 64 was just a platformer that's it, when you play Super Nintendo and 509 2D platformers 64 is a major breakthrough because console develop slower.

PC 3D platformers were only popular in early attempts, after there's no reason to make a platformer only 3D game on PC. You have bigger genres with best graphics, rts fps rpg and sometimes you can jump in them anyway.

How long it takes to traverse a 3D space? Been doing that since before Doom, before! You think no one evolved years later until Mario? Hoooo.

I like this guy, this is the guy you read the boards for to have a good laugh.

On the topic, Sunshine was 64 but more, 64 was a good prototype but Sunshine was the finished game. I am mad they made odyssey so bad when they had the best to learn from!! City personality and challenges all missing from odyssey.

The article pretty much says it all. It's a landmark title and one of the greatest games made. The jump from 2D to 3D was big enough in itself, but the fact that they pretty much nailed everything first try is incredible.

I said this the day the game was released. We would still be holding a button to determine if I walk or run. Mario 64 introduced the tip-toe due to the sensitivity of the joystick.

catvonpee

I hope it is not bad forum etiquette to bump a thread from last week? In my defense it was suggested as I responded to another thread...

But I can remember being completely blown away the first time I played this. It was such a revolutionary game. I am talking utter amazement.

This was after so many hours of playing 2D games on SNES for like six years.

Equally amazing is the games' soundtrack. Every single time I see this game mentioned I think of the snow level music. And the penguin race music is even better.

Last edited:
It crazy that I never owned super mario 64 as a kid. I guess I just never got round to it. Was too busy playing ocarina of time or killer instinct gold most of the time.

sncvsrtoip

I remember reading polish pc magazine Secret Service back in the time, it had small console section, Mario 64 got 101/100 score :D

Last edited:
S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
This is just flat out bullhonkey, 99% of the games that release on console the last many years got their influence from PC DOS and Windows.

Mario 64 was just a platformer that's it, when you play Super Nintendo and 509 2D platformers 64 is a major breakthrough because console develop slower.

PC 3D platformers were only popular in early attempts, after there's no reason to make a platformer only 3D game on PC. You have bigger genres with best graphics, rts fps rpg and sometimes you can jump in them anyway.

How long it takes to traverse a 3D space? Been doing that since before Doom, before! You think no one evolved years later until Mario? Hoooo.

I like this guy, this is the guy you read the boards for to have a good laugh.

On the topic, Sunshine was 64 but more, 64 was a good prototype but Sunshine was the finished game. I am mad they made odyssey so bad when they had the best to learn from!! City personality and challenges all missing from odyssey.
raw

Top Bottom