• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How The Last of Us became 'the greatest story' ever told in video games

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACESHIGH

Banned
Me too, the port begging is pathetic, only for these games to flop on PC so they can spite Sony and pirate the game instead. Wasted resources on market that doesnt enjoy the games enough to buy them. Pc gamers are speaking with their wallets and Sony is taking notes....got some F2P games planned for yall to try out soon.

Look Out Paramount Network GIF by Yellowstone

I am more of a single player gamer so thanks but no thanks. The issue is that folks hype these games as the second coming of Christ. When you actually play them... They are good, great production values but in no way shape or form these cornerstones of gaming.
The one true 10/10 game they have, they do not even want to enhance it for ps customers... Let alone port it to pc

Last edited:

Catphish

I love it. And I agree, it is the best story in all of video games. I can't think of a single one that's better.

Best video game story is obviously very subjective. However, if gamers voted on "Best Story", TLOU would be near the top, Alongside RDR2 and the Witcher 3, and maybe God of War(2018)

Catphish

Let me refresh your memory:

Witcher 3
RDR1/2
Portal 1/2
Half-life 2
Bioshock
MGS1/2/3
Disco Elysium
Witcher 3 - Didn't finish it. Hated the combat.

RDR1/2 - Ok, I'll give you RDR2. It comes real close. But I feel the weight of TLoU exceeds that of RDR2. Red Dead and its characters are like caricatures of the West. TLoU is more grounded, and feels more plausible. But that's no slight against RDR2. I love that game, and I love the story. If TLoU is my #1, then RDR2 is my #2 and, given my mood, they could conceivably flip. But not today. :)

Portal 1/2 - Great games, but neither of them have much of a story. A psychotic AI (and sociopathic Cave Johnson) cracks wise while you solve puzzles. That's it. Oh, and I seem to recall a completely abandoned cliffhanger...

Half-life 2 - Meh, alien invasion. Intriguing setup, with oppressive and frightening elements, but it doesn't carry the emotional weight, or the ambivalent morality, of TLoU.

Bioshock - Been too long (close to 20 years?), so I can't comment with confidence, but from what I remember, it gets major points for originality, and I remember the big twist, but it was never something I would consider a real-life possibility, whereas TLoU is, which gives it more weight.

MGS1/2/3 - No clue. Never played 2 or 3, and it's been aeons since I played (and never finished) 1. But from what I've seen of cutscenes over the years, I'm highly skeptical of this claim.

Disco Elysium - Never played it.

Madflavor

I love it. And I agree, it is the best story in all of video games. I can't think of a single one that's better.
There’s a lot. It’s a very good story with exceptional directing, the latter is a big reason why it really stands out. But as far as the actual writing is concerned, there are better and more intelligently written games out there.

If anything the whole Last of Us series has become a tad overrated over the years. They really are great games, but they’re treated as the Golden Standard of video game stories, which is an insult to all the great game stories that have come before and after.

Dutchy

A lot of games with a better story than TLOU. Glad to see Soma mentioned a couple of times.

TLOU is definitely one of the best conveyed stories in gaming. As a lot of the better stories I see in games are mostly established through lore entries, novels and easter eggs and such and I'm not sure to what extent that blurs the line in terms of what gives a franchise or particular game a ''good story''. In TLOU you actively partook in a very intimate and well told story in a way more akin to movies.

I guess as with all things creative, it's just a subjective grey area. I bet there's people who think the Mona Lisa has a better story than TLOU.

GMCamaro

Personally, the story in TLOU wasn’t particularly special. It seemed to me that it borrowed heavily from other media, and hit the usual tropes, but the main reason it received such acclaim was due in main part to the decision Joel made at the end. To be honest, that was the only part of the story that struck a chord with me. Everything else just seemed a paint by numbers zombie/post-apocalypse story. That’s just my opinion though.

The greatest story in a game is Planescape Torment, and no one else is close.
TLOU has an decent story, Joel is an interesting character. But the greatest story of all time?

The Last of us is palatable to the masses. It's basically a Hollywood TV show before it became a Hollywood TV show.

JonSnowball

Prey (2006) better, Bioshock better, Alan Wake better, Spec Ops: The Line better, there's about a million games that have a better narrative what a complete festering pile of bullshit this article is.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Part 1 AND Part 2 are easily the Most debated video game stories of all time. That alone puts them in good shape to be considered the best.

Obviously that’s subjective but they hold a stronger argument than just about any other game there is for that reason alone

When part 3 is out it’s gonna be pretty damn difficult to deny it as a whole

Last edited:

TheGrat1

Yeah, no. With the caveat that I have not payed Part II yet (it is sitting on the rack):

The plot and characters were extremely formulaic and predictable. It was serviceable and executed well but all it did was hold the game together, it did nothing to move me. Hands down the best part was when you play as Ellie as it was unexpected an refreshing, but that was only for 1 and a half levels.
TLOU is not even the best story in PlayStation studios. God of War is better.
Quoting myself as I have played Part II since then, twice.

My statement still stands. Part 1 was very formulaic. Part II was much more creative and even though I did not like Abby and her levels were worse than Ellie's the use of dramatic irony when playing as her was very well done.

God of War's story is still better.

RaduN

Part 1 AND Part 2 are easily the Most debated video game stories of all time. That alone puts them in good shape to be considered the best.

Obviously that’s subjective but they hold a stronger argument than just about any other game there is for that reason alone

When part 3 is out it’s gonna be pretty damn difficult to deny it as a whole
Maybe if you are a somewhat recent gamer or something, otherwise MGS has this covered...easily.
MGS2 and 4 are the most debated gaming narratives in gaming, by far. I mean, it's not even close.
SH2, KH series and FF7 and 8 might also be way more talked about than The last of us.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
I think GTA 6
Maybe if you are a somewhat recent gamer or something, otherwise MGS has this covered...easily.
MGS2 and 4 are the most debated gaming narratives in gaming, by far. I mean, it's not even close.
SH2, KH series and FF7 and 8 might also be way more talked about than The last of us.
I’ll give you mgs2, maybe ff7 as on the same level. The others…a step below. But even if they were discussed as much, none of them brought out as much hate, anger and pure emotion as TLOU2 wherever it’s brought up. No game sparks a debate like that hand does

hyperbertha

784974.jpg

yeah-no-thanks.gif

FFVII is solid on the whole, but best story of all time in the history of the medium? Yeah, I'm not rolling with that. Same with The Last of Us, it's simply solid due to the excellent dialogue and conversations, but greatest of all time?!!!
Ok what the best story?

GymWolf

kh story is more talked about for all the wrong reason tho :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

GymWolf

I think GTA 6

I’ll give you mgs2, maybe ff7 as on the same level. The others…a step below. But even if they were discussed as much, none of them brought out as much hate, anger and pure emotion as TLOU2 wherever it’s brought up. No game sparks a debate like that hand does
It sparked a debate because of the leaks with joel's death and the easy drama that came from that and because of the woke vs anti-woke debate, not because the story is particuarly complicated or well written.

By the end of the game i was looking like this from al the times my eyes rolled inside my skull

E2pjUo3WYAUtjyW.jpg

Last edited:

hyperbertha

There is no such thing as a “best story”. Unless you’re mentally six years old and everything has to have a best. Usually “the best” is just “my favorite” but retards can’t understand the difference.
Well yes obviously I meant what he thinks is the best genius

GymWolf

I think in any serious discussion the contenders are always xenogears, ff7, ff6, mgs series and silent hill 2.
Way more than that dude, a lot of classic pc games are usually praised for the writing.

And plot is not the only important thing, yakuza 0 may have some silly plot points (in an otherwise great plot) but it also has incredibly likeable characters that are better than some characters in games with a better plot.

Last edited:

hyperbertha

Way more than that dude, a lot of classic pc games are usually praised for the writing.

And plot is not the only important thing, yakuza 0 may have some silly plot points (in an otherwise great plot) but it also has incredibly likeable characters that are better than some characters in games with a better plot.
But games like that don't inspire the deep philosophical discussion that these games do. Plus these games have likeable characters as well.

GymWolf

But games like that don't inspire the deep philosophical discussion that these games do. Plus these games have likeable characters as well.
I don't think that a story has to necessarily inspire a deep philosophical discussion to be great.

Maybe i'm just easier to please, i prefer the plot of y0 over the sniff-farting plot of alan wake 2 that apparently is some superb writing or some shit, and i'm absolutely sure that many people think the same.

edit: maybe aw2 wasn't the right example but you get the gist.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom