• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How this cheap i-gpu rescued my gaming pc in times of gpu shortage.

Ezquimacore

Banned
All started when my gpu decided to malfunction in times of gpu shortage. I was looking all the gpu options and no way in hell I was going to pay the current prices...
then I started to remember that I had this $100 AMD Ryzen 3200g (2020 price, now a bit more) with integrated vega 8 graphics lying around doing nothing and my creativity started to flow. For those who don't know:
IGPU (Integrated Graphics Processing Unit), or integrated gpu, is a "gpu" that is made by the CPU manufacturer which is in your computer. It is usually much less powerful than a dedicated GPU which is its own piece of hardware.
dGPU is much better for video editing and gaming.

6356279cv11d.jpg

I installed the thing on my pc and encountered my first problem, my monitor is 4k and this processor can barely do 1080p for gaming, so it would look blurry as hell (it does 4k just fine for normal use and videos).
But thankfully I have a 720p 7 inch small display and after optimizing some stuff now I can play old games at 1080p, new games at 720p and more modern games like cyberpunk and valhalla at 1024x600 high-ultra settings.
Yes that resolution sounds bad, but the display is small so the image looks great (Basically a Nintendo Switch… but better) My advice to anyone with an old gpu or using integrated graphics, downgrade your display.
cY4GEWp.jpg

Obviously this is not the best way to play but for the price it's one hell of a fix. And that's the beauty of PC, I found a way to be creative and fix the problem for the moment and now my pain is not that big while I wait to buy a new GPU. It's a big deal because back in the days integrated graphics were basically useless so I gotta give props to AMD because after a few tweaks here and there I can play cyberpunk 2077 on a $100 cpu. We are always talking about high end gaming but budget gaming is actually amazing these days if you're creative enough of course.

Not benchmarks but here are some clips of some games running on this little fella:

Breath of the wild running on CEMU:

Fallout 4:

Dead Or Alive 6:

Assassin's Creed Valhalla:

Cyberpunk 2077, and yes, runs better than the last gen versions:

Kuranghi

I'm glad you got back in mate but I'm going to request you receive a lifetime ban from the forum for what you did to BotW's graphics...

I don't even know what to say... it looks like... a big golden shit. I dunno how to put it lol.

At the very least I'll need you to pay my medical bills for the recuperation of my eyes.

Ezquimacore

Banned
I'm glad you got back in mate but I'm going to request you receive a lifetime ban from the forum for what you did to BotW's graphics...

I don't even know what to say... it looks like... a big golden shit. I dunno how to put it lol.

At the very least I'll need you to pay my medical bills for the recuperation of my eyes.
Lmao I prefer the golden shit than the original foggy shit tbh

Buggy Loop

I’m helping a friend build up a PC after his Mac went out..

And I came to the same conclusion as you did, as a stop gap until the crazy GPU markets cools down, AMD APUs are an « ok » solution for a not big AAA gamer. My friend is mostly into indies, occasionally subnautica, so hunting down an Ampere does not make any sense.

Ezquimacore

Banned
I’m helping a friend build up a PC after his Mac went out..

And I came to the same conclusion as you did, as a stop gap until the crazy GPU markets cools down, AMD APUs are an « ok » solution for a not big AAA gamer. My friend is mostly into indies, occasionally subnautica, so hunting down an Ampere does not make any sense.
With this apu I recommend 16gb of ram and you can easily overclock it without messing with the voltage and using the default cooler. The bios should have an automatic option. games like gta v and mad max run at 1080p high-ultra settings 35-45 fps and can even do 4k on old games and some indie games. Definitely a great option in the meantime.

Last edited:

AGRacing

Gold Member
The mental gymnastics required to matrix-style a smaller screen to side of your 4k screen... to play games?

I mean why not just tell the display not to stretch 720p images and play it in a 90s style doomesque shrunk screen. That's how I played "Descent" for most of '96.

93ymSmD.png

Ezquimacore

Banned
The mental gymnastics required to matrix-style a smaller screen to side of your 4k screen... to play games?

I mean why not just tell the display not to stretch 720p images and play it in a 90s style doomesque shrunk screen. That's how I played "Descent" for most of '96.

93ymSmD.png
Yeah I tried that but that way uses more performance, so even if I use a small window to play some games on a smaller resolution for some reason the 4k monitor affects the performance and with apus every frame counts. A bigger 720 monitor would be the best option but I already had this small display and I'm not going to buy 720 monitor for this lol

Trogdor1123

I'm waiting for a good igpu set up to build a tiny computer that will run some of the Bethesda games at 1080/60 with decent settings. I think the upcoming (in a while) 7400g or whatever they are going to call it will finally do it

Ezquimacore

Banned
I'm waiting for a good igpu set up to build a tiny computer that will run some of the Bethesda games at 1080/60 with decent settings. I think the upcoming (in a while) 7400g or whatever they are going to call it will finally do it
Yeah I think the next two generations are going to be fantastic for 1080p on modern games. The only thing holding it down is the 2gb of vram.

Kataploom

Gold Member
I'm currently using a 2200g, which is only like 3 fps bellow the 3200g as I've seen on benchmarks and it's very good. I use it in an "HD Ready" TV so no problem with resolution as long as I keep it at least native, but even at 720p looks very good because the TV has very good colors/contrast so I can run most games at a combination of lows (the ones I don't notice/care much or at all) to highs, heck I just played Mad Max at 768p all in high going from 30 fps sometimes to around 40s or 50s fps most of the time.

The thing is a beast, I'd like to get a new card cause I miss so much playing at 60fps but as far as I'm now, this card is not leaving me out of gaming.

The only game I wanted to play but couldn't is Quantum Break, but my understanding is that it's a very unoptimized mess, so not even with everything at low and 720p, but that's just one case, most games I can play with consoles like settings/performance, but lower resolution perfectly.

Ezquimacore

Banned
I'm currently using a 2200g, which is only like 3 fps bellow the 3200g as I've seen on benchmarks and it's very good. I use it in an "HD Ready" TV so no problem with resolution as long as I keep it at least native, but even at 720p looks very good because the TV has very good colors/contrast so I can run most games at a combination of lows (the ones I don't notice/care much or at all) to highs, heck I just played Mad Max at 768p all in high going from 30 fps sometimes to around 40s or 50s fps most of the time.

The thing is a beast, I'd like to get a new card cause I miss so much playing at 60fps but as far as I'm now, this card is not leaving me out of gaming.

The only game I wanted to play but couldn't is Quantum Break, but my understanding is that it's a very unoptimized mess, so not even with everything at low and 720p, but that's just one case, most games I can play with consoles like settings/performance, but lower resolution perfectly.
Exactly I'm actually amazed by the performance of these cpus, I think a 1050 ti or 1060 would be great with it but at the current prices I honestly don't think is wise to pay $400/$650 for a gpu that should be $140/$200

buenoblue

I just bought a laptop, hp envy x360. Wanted something light and small so didn't want a gaming laptop. It's the ryzen 7 model with vega 7 and 16gb 3200mhz ram.

It's blew my mind what itegrated graphics can do. Gta v, skyrim, sonic racing and the old batman games run great on medium high settings at 720p, some games 1080p. Best of all it has a freesync monitor from 40hz to 60hz.

This thing is a beast and it's only 15mm thick and 1.2kg.

Ezquimacore

Banned
I just bought a laptop, hp envy x360. Wanted something light and small so didn't want a gaming laptop. It's the ryzen 7 model with vega 7 and 16gb 3200mhz ram.

It's blew my mind what itegrated graphics can do. Gta v, skyrim, sonic racing and the old batman games run great on medium high settings at 720p, some games 1080p. Best of all it has a freesync monitor from 40hz to 60hz.

This thing is a beast and it's only 15mm thick and 1.2kg.
Yeah amd is doing great with these things, hopefully they add fidelityfx to their next igpu.

Top Bottom