• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How well known is Pippi Longstocking around the world?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was gonna put "and other Astrid Lindgren characters" in the title as well but it didn't fit, so this thread isn't solely about Pippi. (Even though she is probably the most well known.)

As a kid growing up in Sweden you're gonna get exposed to the work of Astrid Lindgren, whether from books, movies or never ending re-runs of the televisions series. (Not that anyone should mind, because these are some awesome stories.) She's seen as a bit of a national grandma here in Sweden and there are multiple tourist locations tailored around the worlds she created. But how well known are her characters and she herself around the globe?Are the books and movies as big a part of childhood everywhere as they are in Sweden?

She has sold about 145 millions books worldwide and growing up I used to hear about how everyone knew of at least Pippi. So gaf, do you?

Some of her works if you aren't familiar with the name:

Pippi Longstocking
Karlsson-on-the-Roof
The Six Bullerby Children/The Children of Noisy Village
The Brothers Lionheart
Mio, my son (Made into a movie starring Christopher Lee and a young Christian Bale.)
Emil of Lönneberga

grew up in the nyc area, fuckin' love Pippi Longstocking as a kid. Had a huge crush on her. It's probably where my redhead thing got started actually.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Household name in Italy.
Loathed by most due to a terrible tv show.

Gazunta

Australia reporting in. My wife is MENTAL for Pippi Longstocking and grew up with it. I had to get the original movie from the States because it's unavailable here, but the cartoons and more recent live action show is readily available and apparently on regular rotation on TV.

Iksenpets

Banned
It comes on kids channels pretty regularly in the states, so I remember it from childhood, though at this point it's a pretty distant memory.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
dude from LA. My cousins and i used to read the books and watch the movies. Shes well known in our family. Then again, I know about nils Karlsson the elf, so there's that.

Aeana

whaaaaaaattttttttttt

htkObGN.jpg

Sadly Astrid Lindgren denied permission after meeting Miyazaki and Takahata, for some reason.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
I love Pippi a lot. I wish Miyazaki's film would've been made.

I often get the theme to the new adventures in my head even today.

That song. I haven't heard it in forever and it still holds up in my memory.

....I'm starting to think Pippin is the reason I have a thing for red haired women.....

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
It's a worldwide brand. Even though popularity wanes, I'd say at least the name and concept are up there with Peter Pan and Winnie the Pooh.

That being said, I think you would be hard pressed finding people who know the character beyond "red hair, pigtails" or even that.

dude from LA. My cousins and i used to read the books and watch the movies. Shes well known in our family. Then again, I know about nils Karlsson the elf, so there's that.

If we're talking about obscure Astrid characters, Nils Karlsson the Elf is probably very high up on the list, so I'm impressed.

Reading about her on wikipedia it seems she has a minor planet named after her called "Asteroid Lindgren" which is awesome.

And if any of you meet a grown up swede who claims to not have been scared shitless from Katla growing up, you know that person is lying.

Effect

I remember always watching the live action movie that used come on Disney I believe. No matter how many times I saw it I would sit down to watch. I think at some point my parents taped it for me but have no idea where the VHS is. Loved that as a kid. I wish I could get that on dvd just to have in my collection. A Miyazaki film would have been amazing.

I vaguely recall owning a VHS of a live action Pippi movie. Can't remember too much about it other than at the end of the movie Pippi's father shows up and I remember thinking he was awesome.

I remember that I liked the movie, and I may have rented an animated version as well.

Aeana

I forgot to mention where I'm coming from. Pippi was popular in Japan (長くつ下のピッピ) and the US when I was growing up. Definitely less popular these days in both places, but I believe most people still recognize the name. My grandmother also used to read me stories in Swedish, but that's more of a personal thing.

Mik2121

I watched it sometimes when I was a child. I was in Spain though, so the name was Pipi Calzaslargas (it means the same as in English).

In the 80's in L.A. we had a show called Family Film Festival with Tom Hatten. It was a hosted movie show, where they would show a movie and before o after commercials Tom would give rid bits about the film. Long story short, they showed the original Pippi Longstocking movies rather regularly. I remember really enjoying them and I remember reading a book or two but that's about it. I'd almost like to watch those old movies again just to see them with adult eyes.

Kemal86

Live in the Midwest US. I remember my after school babysitter as a kid had some Pippi movie about being stuck on an island with pirates and a watch that could stop time or some shit.

Effect

I love Pippi a lot. I wish Miyazaki's film would've been made.

I often get the theme to the new adventures in my head even today.

That's the one I remember. Come to think about there had to be a few movies right? The one I remember clearly was about her befriending two kids, them constantly visiting her, and their parents trying to get her to stay with them so she won't be on her own once they found out she lived on her own. There being a parade as well at some point.

Edit: Found it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_New_Adventures_of_Pippi_Longstocking Looks like it did get a DVD release.

As a side note I remember loving the Raggedy Ann and Andy: A Musical Adventure movie around the same time. For some reason that grabbed my 5/6 year old self a lot. This is one film I wish I could get on dvd but I think it only released on VHS.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
PIPPI LONGSTOCKING IS COMING INTO YOUR WORLD

A FRECKLE-FACED RED HAIRED GIRL

YOU OUGHTA KNOW

SHE'LL THROW YOUR LIFE INTO HER WORLD

Isn't it she will throw your life into a whirl?

I guess not. What does throw your life into her world even mean? That is stupid.

I vaguely recall owning a VHS of a live action Pippi movie. Can't remember too much about it other than at the end of the movie Pippi's father shows up and I remember thinking he was awesome.

I remember that I liked the movie, and I may have rented an animated version as well.

Pippi's father was the bossies boss in all of bossland.

efraim+l%C3%A5ngstrump.jpg

Just look at that dude, who wouldn't want to have him as a father. Efraim fucking Longstocking.

Avixph

I am twenty two years old and have living here in New York City since I was five years old, and I have never heard of these stories or the author.

Koomaster

She is the girl you oughta know after all.

For some reason I rented the live action film (don't know if there was more than one) and little women on vhs all the time from the library when I was a kid. Those were my two favorite movies. :)

I think I actually own a copy of the movie somewhere if I looked around for it. Haven't watched it in years.

Edit: Yep, just looked at my vhs tapes. The New Adventures of Pippi Longstocking. That's the one.

Isn't it she will throw your life into a whirl?

I guess not. What does throw your life into her world even mean? That is stupid.

"Throw your life into a whirl" is the first part of the chorus, I believe.

And yeah, it makes no sense. But the film was a multiple Razzie nominee, so...yeah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom