• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How well known is Pippi Longstocking around the world?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shamdeo

When I was very very young. (I'm 27.) I just remember she was a cheerful redheaded girl with cuhrayzee pigtails.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Mio, my son? What kind of shit title is that. It's Mio, my Mio. :(
She's pretty known here I guess
I'm from Sweden

Op: You forgot one of the better ones, Nils Karlsson Pyssling :D

htkObGN.jpg

Sadly Astrid Lindgren denied permission after meeting Miyazaki and Takahata, for some reason.

Hahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahahhahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahahahha.

Miyazaki is always so creepy.

B.K.

I remember a Pippi Longstocking movie that used to come on Disney Channel all the time when I was a kid.

Snake

Like many people have already brought up, this movie was in common circulation during my childhood. Nostalgia ahoy. But aside from that I don't know much about the series.

In the 80's in L.A. we had a show called Family Film Festival with Tom Hatten. It was a hosted movie show, where they would show a movie and before o after commercials Tom would give rid bits about the film. Long story short, they showed the original Pippi Longstocking movies rather regularly. I remember really enjoying them and I remember reading a book or two but that's about it. I'd almost like to watch those old movies again just to see them with adult eyes.

Yeah, I remember that too and that's how I knew Pippi. Always marveled when Tom drew Popeye as a boy. Family Film Festival was on on Sunday's, right?

And to nostalgia: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhCFklUMTYg

The canadian cartoon was aired on the educational channel over here, that pretty sums her popularity.
Pippi_Foto1_266x0.jpg

Love the character, love the books, love the cartoon, but I really dislike the art in the books.

Sadly Astrid Lindgren denied permission after meeting Miyazaki and Takahata, for some reason.
Rumos says that it was a cultural problem. At the time Miyazaki and Takahata weren't know in Europe so Astrid pretty much freak out when these 2 guys suddenly appeared at her front door. Honestly I don't know why Studio Ghibli doesn't try again. They're well know around the world now.

Veal

I love Pippi a lot. I wish Miyazaki's film would've been made.

I often get the theme to the new adventures in my head even today.

Man I haven't heard this song in probably 20 years, and I have the same problem with this song just popping into my head and never leaving. It's so catchy.

Mio, my son? What kind of shit title is that. It's Mio, my Mio. :(
She's pretty known here I guess
I'm from Sweden

Op: You forgot one of the better ones, Nils Karlsson Pyssling :D

Yeah, the Swedish title is a lot better. I'm ashamed to say that I forgot about him when I was listing the characters, but still I didn't include every character. Ronja Robbersdaugther is awesome as well.

Damn, all this is making me want to go to Vimmerby again.

Like many people have already brought up, this movie was in common circulation during my childhood. Nostalgia ahoy. But aside from that I don't know much about the series.

Meh, you guys should watch the Swedish classic instead. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0366905/ All of the movies and episodes with Inger Nilsson as Pippi are how it was supposed to be.

Mesoian

Watched the movies as a kid on the disney channel, don't remember much other than that. She was the basis for Aika though so...::Thumbs up::

Aika__SOA__portrait__01.jpg

Yeah, I remember that too and that's how I knew Pippi. Always marveled when Tom drew Popeye as a boy. Family Film Festival was on on Sunday's, right?

And to nostalgia: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhCFklUMTYg
Saturdays and Sundays. I miss hosted movies, the two I remember the most groing up was Tom Hatten and, when I got older, Joe Bob Briggs. Both obviously on the opposite ends of the spectrum but both have good insight in the movies, Tom with the movie facts and Joe Bob with the boob count. Recently METV has been playing Svengoolie on Saturdays. He shows older horror films and while his interstitials are cheesy as hell, it feels good and nostaligic to have an him on.

BTW, that clip hit me right in the gut. I totally remembered that intro and felt a wave of nostalgia.

O.DOGG

Pippi Longstockings was very well known when I was a kid in Bulgaria. I'm fairly certain it was the first book I ever read. I have no idea what these kids are into nowadays.

ag-my001

I remember the movie as a kid. Don't remember any of the plot, but the chorus of the theme song definitely rang a few bells. I also knew a girl from Missouri who dressed as Pippi for Halloween a few years back. We're both around 30, a little younger may be the cutoff for US kids of that era.

Eric C

In the US, and yes I know of Pippi Longstocking.

I remember teachers playing the live action Pippi movies in school for the class. ...Or maybe it was just 1 movie repeated multiple times. This would've been sometime in the early 1990s

yeah it was this movie from 1988 http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093744/

Chichikov

Well known in Israel (at least with my generation, who knows about kids today), but not by the name Pippi.
Pippi is urine and/or penis, so she's known as Bilbi.

netBuff

Pippi Långstrump (Pippi Langstrumpf) is very well known in the German speaking area (Austria, Germany, Liechtenstein, Switzerland), the same for Emil i Lönneberga (Michel aus Lönneberga) as well as other Astrid Lindgren books.

Took a field trip in first grade to see the '88 version at the theater. I don't remember a single thing about it, other than her head.

Rayis

I grew up in Mexico, I used to watch this one cartoon about her, that's how I came to know her, I liked her character, strong kind girl.

agrajag

Banned
Karlsson >>>>>

I grew up in the former USSR and Astrid Lindgren was huge over there. That Mio movie scared the shit out of me when I was little.

Karlsson >>>>>

I grew up in the former USSR and Astrid Lindgren was huge over there. That Mio movie scared the shit out of me when I was little.

Hey, remember the super freaky USSR communist propaganda cartoon with the boy, dog, and cat who moved into the countryside from the city and weird shit keeps happening to them? My cousins showed me that, scared the crap out of me. Yay childhood classics

silvon

I grew up in Indonesia and I read Pippi and Kalle Blomkvist books (translated to Indonesian). Though the books were not huge like Enid Blyton's or Three Investigators, they had their fans.

TheMan

I don't think pippi is very popular amongst kids in the US these days...most people who recognize the name are likely to be mid20's and above who remember the character from childhood.

agrajag

Banned
Hey, remember the super freaky USSR communist propaganda cartoon with the boy, dog, and cat who moved into the countryside from the city and weird shit keeps happening to them? My cousins showed me that, scared the crap out of me. Yay childhood classics

you talking about Prostakvashino cartoons? I don't remember them being particularly propagandist, but then again, I don't look for subtext in such things.. If anything I remember it promoting naturalism over industrialization. One of the cartoons was about how the mom wanted to go to a resort or something, but the kid ran away to the village so he could play with the animals and do country shit, and the dad secretely longed for that too and he had a fight with the mom

agrajag

Banned
Also, for the longest time I thought that the Moomin Trolls were written by Astrid Lindgren too, but they were not

you talking about Prostakvashino cartoons? I don't remember them being particularly propagandist, but then again, I don't look for subtext in such things.. If anything I remember it promoting naturalism over industrialization. One of the cartoons was about how the mom wanted to go to a resort or something, but the kid ran away to the village so he could play with the animals and do country shit, and the dad secretely longed for that too and he had a fight with the mom

I think so. I'm by no means fluent but the one that stuck with me was the episode with the bird, "kto tam." Weird stuff. Maybe I should watch it with subtitles and actually have a clue of what happened.

I don't think pippi is very popular amongst kids in the US these days...most people who recognize the name are likely to be mid20's and above who remember the character from childhood.

Agreement. Most kids my brother's age (12) have no idea what international kids classics are unless their parents went out of their way to introduce them. Fucking Wiggles and Caillou for all. Ugh.

Alpende

I think she was pretty well known in the Netherlands. I remember watching all those videotapes of the movies or episodes. I don't know if it was a TV show or short movies. They were enjoyable.

Germany, read all the Astrid Lindgren books as a child. Re-read Mio last year, still awesome.

Some day my kids will get forced to read all of it, too.

DiscoJer

I'm 41 and I know what she looks like (the Wendy's mascot), but that's it.

And that Peggy Bundy doesn't like her.

Marcy: If I had my way, I'd have them round up everyone of those inconsiderate savages, bury them up to their necks and run them over with the grain reaper.
Peg: You know, I feel the same way about that Pippi Longstocking girl. God I hate her!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom