• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How well known is Pippi Longstocking around the world?

Status
Not open for further replies.

antipod

My favorite AL character is probably Bill Bergson, master detective (or Mästerdetektiven Blomkvist as he is originally called here in Sweden).

I'm even pretty good at speaking The Robber Language.

And I'm looking forward to the Tomas Alfredsson helmed remake of The Brothers Lionheart.

Cipherr

That song. I haven't heard it in forever and it still holds up in my memory.

....I'm starting to think Pippin is the reason I have a thing for red haired women.....

This is the first thought. I remember this and that theme from childhood. But there was also a cartoon that I remember seeing a bit of when I was little, thought that may have been a movie? I dunno, but I know the name and that theme from the YT video.

Pippi Longstocking is one of the most racist shit ever. I was reading that to kids and my god, the racism is so obvious, and one reads to impressionable kids it´s really awful.

I know her and she+other Lindgens stuff is pretty well known in nordic countries but I feel like for some reason her works have started to fall off in popularity.

fanboi

Banned
Pippi Longstocking is one of the most racist shit ever. I was reading that to kids and my god, the racism is so obvious, and one reads to impressionable kids it´s really awful.

As per quote in the movie, which I had to explain over and over again to my kids:

"My father is nigger king on the seven seas" (Okay, they quite might be somewhat off, but she says he is nigger king).

Also, Pippi has ruined generation after generation of kids in Sweden, what we learn:

- Fuck the police
- Fuck the rules
- Fuck around and annoy people

Thanks Astrid.

Chuckie

600full-tami-erin.jpg

Sup Pippi? o_O

Unfortunately that's not the real Pippi.

This is:

file.php

obin_gam

As per quote in the movie, which I had to explain over and over again to my kids:

"My father is nigger king on the seven seas" (Okay, they quite might be somewhat off, but she says he is nigger king).

Also, Pippi has ruined generation after generation of kids in Sweden, what we learn:

- Fuck the police
- Fuck the rules
- Fuck around and annoy people

Thanks Astrid.

No, it's negroe king. Even if it's small, there's a difference.

freddy

Banned
I'm from Australia and read all the Pippi Longstocking books at a young age. The name of the author and her other books don't ring a bell though.

fanboi

Banned
No, it's negroe king. Even if it's small, there's a difference.

Well, in Swedish they use the equivalent word "neger", which is "nigger" for us.

EDIT: To be honest I don't think it is meant to be insulting or hateful towards black people... was just the time when they used that word.

Angst

Well, the books were written in the 1960s, so it's more a product of it's time than anything else. Much like Tintin in Kongo. The only thing that's politically uncorrect is that her father is a "Negroe King" AFAIK.

jorma

is now taking requests
Her father went and saved enlightened black people because they were savages and he became "the nigger king", or something like that.

It's negro king. And despite what fanboi says, nigger and negro are different words.
Her dad got shipwrecked and stranded on the kurreduttdutt-island where they later elected him king. End of story. There are no "savages" and no "enlightenment" except in your head.

Ogni-XR21

Pretty well known in Germany. Most of the Astrid Lindgren stories are.

Fun fact: In Germany Emil from Lönneberga was renamed to Michel because there was already a book series called Emil and the detectives.

fanboi

Banned
It's negro king. And despite what fanboi says, nigger and negro are different words.
Her dad got shipwrecked and stranded on the kurreduttdutt-island where they later elected him king. End of story. There are no "savages" and no "enlightenment" except in your head.

Yes they are, but in the Swedish vocabulary, the word for "nigger" is "neger" which is used by Pippi. BUT also, "neger" is also used in context when English use "negro".

wrowa

Pippi Langstrumpf and Lindgren's other characters are hugely popular in Germany. I wasn't much of a fan in my childhood, but it was impossible not to get in touch with the various movies, books and series. I even visited a school that was named after her.

I started to appreciate her work much more as I got older.

jorma

is now taking requests
Yes they are, but in the Swedish vocabulary, the word for "nigger" is "neger" which is used by Pippi. BUT also, "neger" is also used in context when English use "negro".

That is completely false, and i have never in my life heard anyone claim that until today.

The word for nigger is nigger, the word for negro is neger. Pippis dad is a "negerkung".

Dennis

Banned

No.

In Danish and Swedish the word for "negro" is "neger" and the word for "nigger" is "nigger".

fanboi

Banned
I have never heard someone use the word nigger in Sweden, only neger.

Hell, when I was with a black girl some years ago and she got harassed they used the word neger.

HazardBob

Neo Member
4ab75620-e782-012c-a56f-0050569439b1.jpg

So good. Still airs regularly as well.

Hell, when I was with a black girl some years ago and she got harassed they used the word neger.

Nigger seems to be purely American.

"Black" used to be more racist than "negro / neger" here, but since the whole American "Nigger" issue came flying over we don't even have a indicative black race word anymore. The proper description is now "negroid"...

Hooray anti racism hypocrisy

Lach

I always preferred Ronja Rövardotter (Räubertochter in German).
Such a fascinating thing to watch as a child!

The songs still keep getting stuck in my head from time to time...

jorma

is now taking requests

No matter what you've heard, and no matter what they said to your ex gf, you are still wrong. Please stop spreading FUD about Astrid Lindgren now.

When she wrote those books, "negro" was the accepted terminology. They said "negro" just like we say "black" today.
Never once did she use the word "nigger".

fanboi

Banned

So good. Still airs regularly as well.

"Black" used to be more racist than "negro / neger" here, but since the whole American "Nigger" issue came flying over we don't even have a indicative black race word anymore. The proper description is now "negroid"...

Yes, this is my stand as well.

fanboi

Banned
No matter what you've heard, and no matter what they said to your ex gf, you are still wrong. Please stop spreading FUD about Astrid Lindgren now.

When she wrote those books, "negro" was the accepted terminology. They said "negro" just like we say "black" today.
Never once did she use the word "nigger".

Yes? I agree with this if you read my comments above... never said she was racist or anything.

Still don't agree with the terminology of the words thou.

EDIT: But I agree that in use and implication, "neger" is more in common with "negro", still not same in my opinion.

BHK3

Banned
I've seen the red haired girl somewhere before, but no I have never heard of her. I think I'm associating wendys with her.

freddy

Banned
Yep, we were taught in school Negro was the correct word to use and using black to refer to someone was rude as it emphasised the skin colour. Aboriginals used to be referred to as blacks and resented it and the usage went out of fashion and Indigenous or Aboriginal replaced it. So I think it's more a time period thing.

Anyway yea Pippi Longstocking could lift horses.

Endgegner

She was and is still very poular here in germany. Read most of her books as a child.

Regarding the word "neger" there actually was a kinda big discussion here wether words like that should be replaced in the books with more contemporary politically morally correct words.

In my opinion, "neger" isn't nearly as hateful as the n-word but even though it was the normal word to use in europe mid last century it still had a somewhat degrading and ignorant connotation as it stems from the colonial times in european countries. Negro on the other hand is a word that black people in the USA choose to refer to themselves during the civil rights movement (correct me if I'm wrong). So neger definetely isn't the same as negroe, but it's also not as bad as the n-word. Nowadays, it's at least here in germany definetely degrading and respectless to use neger to refer to a black person.

ymmv

Banned

It's been the same in the Netherlands. Nikker was the derogatory term, neger was completely neutral, but sometime in the eighties/nineties suddenly the word neger had become taboo and anyone descended from subsaharan Africa was now black - which I found a more insulting term. It took me a while to get used to that.

In my youth it was repeated a lot on television in the Netherlands. It had dutch voice over.

I liked it a lot. Adventurous, cheeky, not too childish.

I think my favorite movie was the one where she resques her father from the pirates. That was awesome.

The movies always made me hungry because they were always eating meat and pancakes and stuff.

obin_gam

I always preferred Ronja Rövardotter (Räubertochter in German).
Such a fascinating thing to watch as a child!

The songs still keep getting stuck in my head from time to time...

While Alfredson is doing a remake of Lionheart, the estate should let AMC do a remake series of Ronja, to rival GoT I mean :)

Zeekaas

Pipi Longstocking (Pipi Langkous) was pretty popular in the Netherlands when I was growing up. Watched the real life movie and series a lot also have seen the cartoon. Didn't read any books tho.

The brothers lionheart was one of my favorite books in my childhood. Never knew it was from the same writer as Pipi Longstocking.

thomaser

Karlsson >>>>>

I grew up in the former USSR and Astrid Lindgren was huge over there. That Mio movie scared the shit out of me when I was little.

I read somewhere that Karlsson is super-popular in Russia for some reason. Is that true?

I come from Norway, and Pippi was definitely a big part of my childhood (and everyone else's). But Emil i Lønneberget was the biggest Lindgren-character here, and my favourite.

When I think about it, we sell a huge dvd-set at work with every Lindgren-film. It's expensive, but it's very tempting to buy it and watch some of those gems again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom