• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How well known is Pippi Longstocking around the world?

Status
Not open for further replies.
She's very popular in Italy, I don't think you will find many 30+ that haven't at least heard her name somehow.

I watched the TV series when I was little but sadly cannot remember more than some sparse single frames.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
preferred Ronja Røverdatter and Emil. Pippi was obviously some no-good hippie child.

Also, I went to school with Astrid Lindgren's granddaughter and I remember she came to see our parade on 17th of may once.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
From Canada, I liked the cartoon when I was a kid and it aired on YTV or Teletoon(can't remember which). I'm pretty sure the cartoon was popular here as it was Canadian produced, and most, if not all, of the voice actors were Canadian.

Alx

I know about her (and Karlsson) since my childhood, but that's mostly because my mother is from Germany. I don't think she was very well known in France before that recent cartoon that was quite popular, and even now I'm not sure many remind her.
Oh, and she's translated to "Fifi Brindacier" in French.
fifi-brindacier-1997-01-g.jpg

Uncle

She has sold about 145 millions books worldwide and growing up I used to hear about how everyone knew of at least Pippi. So gaf, do you?

Some of her works if you aren't familiar with the name:

Pippi Longstocking
Karlsson-on-the-Roof
The Six Bullerby Children/The Children of Noisy Village
The Brothers Lionheart
Mio, my son (Made into a movie starring Christopher Lee and a young Christian Bale.)
Emil of Lönneberga

I know all of these, but then again I'm from Finland so big surprise.

Roklie

From Finland, loved her stories and characters as a kid. Bröderna Lejonhjärta, Madicken, Ronja Rövardotter, Mio min Mio, you name it.. Liked all of them. Junibacken was always one of my favorite attractions when we were in Stockholm. :)

//The new Pippi cartoon from the 90's was horrendous.

CrunchyB

Pipi Longstocking (Pipi Langkous) was pretty popular in the Netherlands when I was growing up.

Oh yeah. It was amazing. Way ahead of it's time. I'm referring to the live action movies. Not the cartoons, which I don't want to touch.

I still think Annika is the cutest name ever.

wrowa

Emil of Lönneberga

I come from Norway, and Pippi was definitely a big part of my childhood (and everyone else's). But Emil i Lønneberget was the biggest Lindgren-character here, and my favourite.

Waaaaait. He's called Emil? My mind is blown. For some reason he's called Michel in Germany. I guess they wanted to avoid confusion with Erich Kästner's Emil and the Detectives...

Downhome

You are all jerks, the entire lot of you.

I saw this thread first thing this morning, read it, watched the video of the theme, and now I CAN'T GET IT OUT OF MY HEAD. Of all songs to get stuck in my head and it's the Pippi Longstocking theme!?

Yes, I remember the character fondly. I am in South Carolina and we watched the 1988 movie in school more than once growing up. Heck, I'm shocked that some people haven't ever heard of it. To me, the character is timeless and I thought it was well known by pretty much everyone, especially those in my generation, the children of the 80s/90s. I've just assumed for years that everyone knew who it was and has at least watched the 1988 movie.

Oh, and Pippi is still being Pippi. From Tami Erin's Wikipdia...

On Thursday, April 11, 2013 she was arrested by the Walnut Creek Police Department for Battery (California Penal Code 242). According to Claycord.com it was allegedly the result of a fight with her roommate over a pizza.[10] She was booked in to the Martinez Detention Facility (MDF), in Martinez, CA.

You are all jerks, the entire lot of you.

I saw this thread first thing this morning, read it, watched the video of the theme, and now I CAN'T GET IT OUT OF MY HEAD. Of all songs to get stuck in my head and it's the Pippi Longstocking theme!?

Yes, I remember the character fondly. I am in South Carolina and we watched the 1988 movie in school more than once growing up. Heck, I'm shocked that some people haven't ever heard of it. To me, the character is timeless and I thought it was well known by pretty much everyone, especially those in my generation, the children of the 80s/90s. I've just assumed for years that everyone knew who it was and has at least watched the 1988 movie.

Oh, and Pippi is still being Pippi. From Tami Erin's Wikipdia...

LOL fight over pizza. Incoming memes

Pippi Longstocking
Karlsson-on-the-Roof
The Brothers Lionheart
Mio, my son (Made into a movie starring Christopher Lee and a young Christian Bale.)
Emil of Lönneberga
Oh it's Emil originally? In Germany he is called Michel aus Lönneberga. He's my favorite. And the Bullerbü gang. Pippi is ok but too Mainstream :p
edit: beaten by wrowa

akira28

so apparently that whole roommate fight was because she accused him of secretly recording her without her knowing. Implying in various states of undress.

yo..
and the theme song is stuck in my head too

Okay then, so it seems that at least Pippi is pretty well known at least among older generations around the world, but maybe not to the extent you're led to believe growing up in Sweden. And most of Astrid's other work seem to be at least well known in Scandinavia and and other northern parts of Europe such as Germany and the Netherlands. And Karlsson being inexplicably big in Russia.

And for those in the thread that don't know about the characters or just Pippi, I recommend checking the other ones out. Some of them are really Swedish in concept like Emil of lönneberga and the Bullerby children, while other such as The Brothers Lionheart, Ronia the Robbersdaughter and Mio, my son are really great children fantasy. If I have kids I will definitely read the books to them and show them the movies.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Who's Tami Erin and how come no one is mentioning Inger Nilsson.

PLZ Watch original! Don't tarnish our heritage by watching remade stuff, while you're at it, burn every copy of Let Me In.

Loona

Portugal here - I think she was a bigger deal for my parents' generation, whom I heard the most mentions of the character from, especially my mother. I think she saw some of the original live action episodes, I don't think the books were that influential here.

I got to see the american movie as a kud - fun stuff back then, even cried in the end, although I doubt it would hold up nowadays.

Speaking of the movie, iirc there Pippi's father just mentioned cannibals and turning them vegetarian, which should be enough to deal with that bit of controversy - it's escapist fantasy after all.

Alas, Pippi's unlikely to recover or sustain success around here by her known name, as "pipi" is sort of childish slang for the lower girly bits here...

Still, I sometimes entertain the silly concept of some big magical girl crossover like the SRW games where Pippi gets to be a heavy mellee unit...

Eidan

Who's Tami Erin and how come no one is mentioning Inger Nilsson.

PLZ Watch original! Don't tarnish our heritage by watching remade stuff, while you're at it, burn every copy of Let Me In.

Tami Erin was the ONLY Pippi Longstocking I knew of growing up.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
I love Pippi a lot. I wish Miyazaki's film would've been made.
First I'm hearing of this. Holy shit. Miyazaki/Takahata collaborating on Pippi Longstocking is about the most perfect filmmaker and source material mesh I can think of.

akira28

First I'm hearing of this. Holy shit. Miyazaki/Takahata collaborating on Pippi Longstocking is about the most perfect filmmaker and source material mesh I can think of.

I can only wonder why she said no. I guess she didn't think they'd remain true.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
I can only wonder why she said no. I guess she didn't think they'd remain true.
I suspect it was the same reason Ursula Le Guin denied Miyazaki's request to adapt Earthsea. She didn't know who he was and didn't care to find out.

akira28

I suspect it was the same reason Ursula Le Guin denied Miyazaki's request to adapt Earthsea. She didn't know who he was and didn't care to find out.

No, she did let him. Otherwise Tales wouldn't have been made. He didn't remain true.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
No, she did let him. Otherwise Tales wouldn't have been made. He didn't remain true.
No, she didn't. I'm talking about Hayao Miyazaki, who requested to adapt Earthsea in the 80s. Le Guin rejected him and decades later came to regret it, so she told Miyazaki she was open to an adaptation. Sadly, we ended up with Goro's abomination, which Hayao had essentially nothing to do with.

segasonic

I was gonna put "and other Astrid Lindgren characters" in the title as well but it didn't fit, so this thread isn't solely about Pippi. (Even though she is probably the most well known.)

As a kid growing up in Sweden you're gonna get exposed to the work of Astrid Lindgren, whether from books, movies or never ending re-runs of the televisions series. (Not that anyone should mind, because these are some awesome stories.) She's seen as a bit of a national grandma here in Sweden and there are multiple tourist locations tailored around the worlds she created. But how well known are her characters and she herself around the globe?Are the books and movies as big a part of childhood everywhere as they are in Sweden?

She has sold about 145 millions books worldwide and growing up I used to hear about how everyone knew of at least Pippi. So gaf, do you?

Some of her works if you aren't familiar with the name:

Pippi Longstocking
Karlsson-on-the-Roof
The Brothers Lionheart
Emil of Lönneberga

Super well-known here in Germany. Also Emil (called Michel here) Karlsson, Bullerby kids, Ronja Räubertochter etc.

deleted

I loved the movie 'Pippi in Taka-Tuka-Land' as a kid. Just make a balloon out of your bed and fly overseas to a pirate island. Great stuff!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom