• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How would you rate the dragon ball (both original and z) arcs?

Anteater

i'm guessing you never saw dragon ball?

it's honestly different, the direction for dbz was different than db, dbz wasn't much of a joke anime than db where Toriyama was able to get away with anything he come up with like sending goku's enemy to the moon with his Nyoibo

Cimarron

I haven't finished watching Dragon Ball but as for the other 2 arcs....

Cell/android >Goku Black> Nemek>Saiyan>Universe 6 tournament>Buu>Battle of Gods> Filler > Ressurection of F.

King Piccolo saga sounds bad ass! I need to watch it one day

Real Hero

it's honestly different, the direction for dbz was different than db, dbz wasn't much of a joke anime than db where Toriyama was able to get away with anything he come up with like sending goku's enemy to the moon with his Nyoibo
Well the buu arc is a conclusion to all of dragon ball ( well was) so naturally it brought back the comedy, it's interesting where people draw the line on this stuff

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Freezer > Saiyan > Buu >>> Cell >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> android

I'm not really big on either Buu, Cell or the androids, but Buu, as stupid as he was, that arc was at least sorta fun. Cell was a fantastic idea in theory, but his arc was utter shite in execution. And the androids should never have fucking existed to begin with.

L Thammy

Turning people into candy is a pretty badass power though. You can kick ass and chew bubble gum by turning assholes into bubblegum.

Sephzilla

In my opinion the Cell Saga is fantastic until Gohan gets the hero push abruptly at the end. Dude spends most of the saga being a background character and the arc isn't about him in the slightest, and then he suddenly gets the hero moment at the end? Fuck that noise. #ItShouldHaveBeenVegetaInstead

Real Hero

It's about keeping a consistent tone throughout the series.

And I had to google that carrot thing, I hardly remember that character, but Buu is the main villain of the final arc of the series.
Yeah but from the start of the saga it clearly more focused on comedy, Buu is clearly a joke the moment he emerges

Oblivion

In my opinion the Cell Saga is fantastic until Gohan gets the hero push abruptly at the end. Dude spends most of the saga being a background character and the arc isn't about him in the slightest, and then he suddenly gets the hero moment at the end? Fuck that noise. #ItShouldHaveBeenVegetaInstead

Not sure about the Vegeta part, but yes, I agree with everything else.

Anteater

Well the buu arc is a conclusion to all of dragon ball ( well was) so naturally it brought back the comedy, it's interesting where people draw the line on this stuff

haha well i don't mind the buu arc, it has some memorable moments, but you can tell the direction is quite different whether it's because of the editor or toriyama himself

L Thammy

haha well i don't mind the buu arc, it has some memorable moments, but you can tell the direction is quite different whether it's because of the editor or toriyama himself

It was Toriyama. The editor for the Buu saga was notably hands-off. The Cell Saga is the result of a very hands-on editor.

Sephzilla

Not sure about the Vegeta part, but yes, I agree with everything else.

My fantasy ending for the Cell Saga is fairly close to how the saga itself ends. Gohan goes SSJ2, nearly defeats Cell, then Goku sacrifices himself when Cell blows up, then Cell returns and shoots Future Trunks. Seeing his son get off'd causes Vegeta to have one of those moments of clarity where he realizes all of this shit is pretty much his fault, Vegeta snaps, goes SSJ2 himself, and the Cell Saga ends with Cell and Vegeta in a Kamehameha vs Gallick Gun beam struggle reminiscent of the Goku/Vegeta version in the Saiyan Saga, except now the hero/villain roles are reversed. Basically condense down the character development Vegeta gets in the Buu Saga and place it into the Cell Saga instead, with the added bonus of Vegeta's hero moment being actually meaningful.

I never watched more than the first saga of DB, but as for DBZ the Android/Cell Saga is my favorite, followed by the Namek Saga. Saiyan Saga and Buu Saga are the bottom two.

Do the Android and Cell Saga count as one or two sagas?

L Thammy

They were building Gohan up since his introduction though... he was rageboosting against Raditz and Freeza, it's just that the real payoff came later.

Real Hero

They were building Gohan up since his introduction though... he was rageboosting against Raditz and Freeza, it's just that the real payoff came later.
It just strangely done, his relationship with trunks in the future should have played more into into his power up, would have trunks more importance at the end too. There's something missing tying everything together correctly in that arc. It's a great moment though

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
This is part of why I love the Saiyan Saga so much. The power scaling was at the right level where it hit superhero-ish "fate of the world" levels but didn't get ridiculous

It was the best DBZ arc because of that I think. There was so much tension and the stakes felt so huge.

The Frieza arc was great too, but was the beginning of the end in my mind. It could have been salvaged had they actually dropped Goku and focused on Gohan completely after that, but Android/Cell saga screwed the pooch and just kept jacking up the power levels for everyone and by the time Buu Saga began the plot was totally lost and it was the "how crazy can we get and also do everything to keep Goku the star" series.

What I wish they did post Frieza arc was to make SSJ Goku and Frieza pinnacles that everyone then struggled, immensely, to reach, not the new baseline, but instead they just went on to try and boost everyone to their level and way beyond ASAP. Being SSJ was supposed to be a legendary only ever happened once before thing and then suddenly everyone was doing it and going beyond it like it was nothing. Trunks, his introduction and everything about him was the worst thing ever, despite everyone seemingly loving the shit out of that scene and him to my complete astonishment.

It would have been a lot cooler and more compelling to have toned things down and focused on Gohan having his own low key DB style adventures. Trying to live up to his father's legacy, while also being his own person. Which they did to an extent in the Cell Saga and parts of Buu saga, with their time in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber and Gohan's relationship with Android 16 and what not, but it was too rushed and power levels too great to impart any real lasting meaning or stakes. Especially with how they handled him during Buu. Sure the end of Cell saga was boss as shit, but series as a whole was just too over the top afterwards to ever really be serious again.

You could totally do the Android/Cell saga mostly the same way with the power levels dropped down dramatically to non-SSJ levels. Instead of Gohan reaching SSJ2 at the end, just have him reach SSJ on his own in the final moments. Cut out Trunks, Goku and their nonsense. Keep Vegeta but don't let him reach SSJ but continue to struggle and grapple with trying to surpass Kakarot. Develop his character arc similarly becoming more selfless but in service to Gohan and the others.

This ramping up of powers and stakes also hurt things as there rarely was time for any kind of interesting downtime in the DBZ arcs. What was done was always over the top comedy bits that felt kind of forced and out of place. They incorporated the Tournament into things but it was just window dressing, there was no drama there, it was always about some world ending catastrophe. Probably one of my favorite point during the Cell saga was after Gohan and Goku leave the time chamber and Gohan is just chilling and has his little side conflict with Mercenary Tao. That was a great little side story and what I wish Gohan was doing all the time and should have been a full arc or two before getting to the real serious Android/Cell sagas as outlined.

That's what made DB great. It could balance things out with high stakes drama and low stakes drama. Your Red Ribbon and Piccolos threatening nations and the world and then your Tournaments with internal drama and rivalries with Tienshinhan and the like.

Edit: Fuck. I spend way too much fucking time thinking about DB.

Sephzilla

The thing is that Gohan's rage-boosts are used more like a deus ex machina instead of a developed storyline point. Plus the thing that ultimately triggers him is witnessing the death of an android whom was built to murder his father that he's barely known.

Real Hero

The thing is that Gohan's rage-boosts are used more like a deus ex machina instead of a developed storyline point. Plus the thing that ultimately triggers him is witnessing the death of an android whom was built to murder his father that he's barely known.
Should have been trunks imo to mirror trunks own intial transformation and bind the character even closer together

Oblivion

It just strangely done, his relationship with trunks in the future should have played more into into his power up, would have trunks more importance at the end too. There's something missing tying everything together correctly in that arc. It's a great moment though

Yup. The problem is that Gohan doesn't even go SSJ until like 10 episodes before he fights Cell. So 1) it's too short a time to develop his newfound abilities as well as any subsequent new powers to be manifested later on and 2) there's no relationship between him and Cell that makes you really give a shit about the fight itself beyond the fact that Cell is a bad guy. Both Vegeta and Freezer had some kind of larger connection to Goku in some way, which made their battles feel a lot more satisfying.

Exactly. I never understood why he gave a shit at all about 16.

I liked Dragon Ball the most before everyone started getting multi-colored hair.

So I would say original DB and DBZ with the OG Z Fighters. The movies during that period were also better in my opinion.

Two Words

aww I actually like Freeza saga more than Red Ribbon, I think Freeza has some really cool Alien designs and characters, the exotic location and seriousness puts it above the other arcs, super saiyan was super cool too
The filler hurts it though.

Top Bottom