• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Xbox Was Finally Proven Right in 2021

jigglet

Banned
I forgave them when they finally got with the backwards compatibility. I could play any digital titles I already owned "For free". But for real, my XB1 was mostly used as a "Super" Xbox 360 and for allowing 99.9% of my Rockband songs to be pulled over from the 360 into RB4.

Can't disagree with that. Sony and Nintendo's BC is a disgrace.

Tommi84

What? You can insert ps1 to ps4 games into the ps5?! I mean, you wrote 99.99%.
Of the previous console, not CONSOLES. With the probable possibility of using new PS+/PsNow hybrid in the near future.

And btw, can YOU insert an original Xbox disc in the console and it will work? MS pase shows there're 116 (or so) original Xbox games compatible with One/Series consoles. You expect that a company that didn't do BC with PS4 and removed the option from PS3 will suddenly be better than a company that is leading in this example?

I'm talking about having expectations. MS BC program wasn't done in a year or wasn't done during the life of one generation of console. Sony knows they need to make it work and let's at least wait those few months before the new offer is presented.

kingfey

Banned
You may think it’s stupid, but all that tells me you’ve only ever lived under a purely disposable culture. I’m from a time where we put more weight on art and media.

Todays disposable culture while inevitable; and all you can eat Buffets are catering to the mass market - it make a difference in how we view and consume things.

I’ve personally been through piracy phases where abundant access destroys any appreciation of product, and have seen the rise of limitless streaming music and film have a similar effect on the value of things. We move from one to another at an unhealthy pace with an equally diminished care.

It is what it is.
That is just a false narrative, which is fueled by nostalgic.

Having access to all you can eat content, increases your appreciation. You experience more content, which you couldn't have before.

The fact that you consider small content an art, shows how little mindset you have. There alot of gems out there in the world. And you won't discover them, if you keep purchasing small stuff.

I found alot of good music, by listening to too much music. I found great movies, by watching alot of movies. I started to like games, by playing alot of games.

Your approach has a great risk, which can end your enjoyment. When you put weight to your purchase, your expectations is through the roof. Imagine, you were waiting entire year for fallout 76, then you discover it's pure shit, when you get the game finally. You will hate yourself for playing that game. Just like how you appreciate the game, when its good.

At the end of the day, there are alot of gems in the world. You won't find them, if you limit yourself. The only way to find them, is if you expose yourself to them. Go look through pile of other stuff, in order to get it. That is what makes gaming more impact full.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
Bullshit. Nothing has to be accepted and stop with the crap about getting our kids to program our VCR’s. We aren’t that old. Some of us remember a time not long ago where we appreciated the smaller amount of games we had. We VALUED what we owned and appreciated them far more than this buffet of mostly shit, but we can say it’s great cause it gives you over 200 games to play… It’s fucking nonsense.
And for anyone who says this is an anti Microsoft post and if Sony or Nintendo did the same I’d not complain, yes I fucking would. This isn’t the future many of us want. Like I’ve said so many times on here, you can all have what you want. If this is indeed the future of gaming then I’m out. I can already see if ruining tv and movies and how we consume this shit and gaming isn’t far away.
Ok bye 👋 then.

Its so weird to see gamers hate more gaming options. To see them hate, the ability to play tons of games, and sticking to nostalgic.

Just admit that you are jealous, that you never got this chance before.

You guys had blockbuster, where you could rent games, and return them. It's hilarious that guys still angry about this.

And for your information, movies are much better now. We are seeing movies about characters, who otherwise wouldn't get a chance in movies. Marvel is an all hight time in content creation. We got alot of super heroes movies. We never had that before.

Movies are also easy to access now. Movie makers don't have to worry about focusing on certain audience. They can make their own movies now. We never had that option before. Same for music. Same for games.

kingfey

Banned
It makes sense for games. For me personally 99% of the games I own I haven't touched in 10 or more years. The question is how soon games disappear from Gamepass though.
That is normal.

We miss out alot of games from our radar. There are games, that I found from interacting with you guys. I wouldn't have found them, if I didn't.

There are so much in this world, that you can't keep track of.

If a game is going to leave gamepass, it means current subscribers will enjoy them. That is just how life goes on.

I dont watch what in Netflix, Hulu, Disney + everytime. Too much content, small time.

The benefit would be, grab what you like from the service. Good thing about gamepass, is you can buy the games. As long as that option is available, there nothing to worry about.

Last edited:

SirTerry-T

As an example, I discovered (and loved playing) Yakuza:Like A Dragon through my GP subscription.
When it leaves the service I will probably either purchase it, at a reduced cost, through the MS store or try and nab a physical copy from somewhere.

That's how options work.

This is a subject that's been beaten to death here, there and everywhere, if people don't get what GP offers they either refuse to get it due to some weird tribalism or just stubbornly refuse to understand that this is the way all media consumption is heading.

You can't stop progress, you can only delay it, sorry if that comes as a shock to some folk.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
This crap again.

Don't worry, we're safe from it for a few days now at least :D

As an example, I discovered (and loved playing) Yakuza:Like A Dragon through my GP subscription.
When it leaves the service I will probably either purchase it, at a reduced cost, through the MS store or try and nab a physical copy from somewhere.

That's how options work.

This is a subject that's been beaten to death here, there and everywhere, if people don't get what GP offers they either refuse to get it due to some weird tribalism or just stubbornly refuse to understand that this is the way all media consumption is heading.

You can't stop progress, you can only delay it, sorry if that comes as a shock to some folk.

Yes. It's a portal to discover so many good new double and triple A games.

The Gunk, Broken Age, Lake, Firewatch, Aliens: Fireteam Elite, Next Space Rebels, Exo One, The Forgotten City, Psychonauts 2, Outriders

These are just some examples of games that released this year (or came to GP recently) that I'd never have bought separately if they weren't on the service. Not to mention big day 1 releases like Halo, Forza, Flight Sim etc.

Honestly, there's just a lot more good to talk about GP than there is negative. If it can convince a PS4 owner like me to swap for the SX this gen, clearly they're doing something right.

kingfey

Banned
Not to mention big day 1 releases like Halo, Forza, Flight Sim etc.
You dont even need those games for gamepass.

I am not fan of current MS games, but still, I get games like fifa, need for speed, battlefield, star wars, all bethesda games, other 3rd party day1 games. That is enough for me for gamepass.

That is the only reason why I game on xbox. I am not fan of online subscription like ps+ or Xbox live. But when you add games like that, and give me access to them on PC, you bet I would sub to your service and system.

If there was no gamepass, Xbox wouldn't have been my choice at all. It would be little bit ps4, few Nintendo, and full PC time.

adamsapple

Just waiting for EA to put Mass Effect Legendary on EA Play and I'm set for another few months.

They usually put games on the Play service 8 to 10 months after release in most cases.

I mean, it's probably the best year for Xbox in quite some time. So he's not wrong. Also, competition leads to improvement all around so I'm happy with these news.

Boss Mog

The main issue I see with Gamepass is that there's not much incentive for MS and its studios to produce quality unlike direct sales which would suffer if you were to release a sub-par effort. Personally I don't think Halo Infinite is that great but I didn't unsubscribe to gamepass since there's plenty of other games to play and so I feel like most people won't care enough to unsubscribe just because first party AAA games end up being mediocre. Kinda like netflix, most of the original content they produce is not that good, obviously there's exceptions, especially with their foreign content which is often far superior, but they also have a bunch of other quality shows which they didn't make so the service still seems worthwhile (less and less so with the constant price increases though).

DaGwaphics

^ MS is still selling software outside the subscription (and at good numbers by the looks of it). Seems like there are more than enough sales to gauge public reception from sales alone. Plus, they would have a lot of numbers from GP as well. No one pays for a bad service, that is reason enough to try and bring a quality product.

Last edited:

fallingdove

Ok bye 👋 then.

Its so weird to see gamers hate more gaming options. To see them hate, the ability to play tons of games, and sticking to nostalgic.

Just admit that you are jealous, that you never got this chance before.

You guys had blockbuster, where you could rent games, and return them. It's hilarious that guys still angry about this.

And for your information, movies are much better now. We are seeing movies about characters, who otherwise wouldn't get a chance in movies. Marvel is an all hight time in content creation. We got alot of super heroes movies. We never had that before.

Movies are also easy to access now. Movie makers don't have to worry about focusing on certain audience. They can make their own movies now. We never had that option before. Same for music. Same for games.
You say that movies are much better now and then in the next sentence mention Marvel. Lol. Movies are shit these days and you are clearly eating it up. Streaming services marquee bargain bin B movies and in 2021, every notable release has been a sequel or reboot. On the games front, streaming will be the same thing. You will be waiting years for the next sequels to X,Y, Z. You might get an indie gem once a year. Everything else will B tier filler.

Sorcerer

Phil kinda saying Xbox series X, not that useful at the moment? That's some strange brutal honesty on his part, even if he did not mention the console directly by name.
But I guess you can't by a series X at the moment anyway so it's all good for Phil regardless.
I like Phil. My only concern is when he leaves the video game landscape, no one is going to fulfill his vision and we will go back to the norm once again.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Phil kinda saying Xbox series X, not that useful at the moment? That's some strange brutal honesty on his part, even if he did not mention the console directly by name.
But I guess you can't by a series X at the moment anyway so it's all good for Phil regardless.
I like Phil. My only concern is when he leaves the video game landscape, no one is going to fulfill his vision and we will go back to the norm once again.

They've been pretty candid about it before too that they expect Series S to sell more than Series X.

The main issue I see with Gamepass is that there's not much incentive for MS and its studios to produce quality unlike direct sales which would suffer if you were to release a sub-par effort. Personally I don't think Halo Infinite is that great but I didn't unsubscribe to gamepass since there's plenty of other games to play and so I feel like most people won't care enough to unsubscribe just because first party AAA games end up being mediocre. Kinda like netflix, most of the original content they produce is not that good, obviously there's exceptions, especially with their foreign content which is often far superior, but they also have a bunch of other quality shows which they didn't make so the service still seems worthwhile (less and less so with the constant price increases though).
MS is still selling games, especially on Steam. Forza 5 sold ~2m on Steam. Sea of Thieves sold ~5m. Games like Starfield will also sell several million. Quality is still very important.

KAL2006

Banned
Don't worry, we're safe from it for a few days now at least :D

Yes. It's a portal to discover so many good new double and triple A games.

The Gunk, Broken Age, Lake, Firewatch, Aliens: Fireteam Elite, Next Space Rebels, Exo One, The Forgotten City, Psychonauts 2, Outriders

These are just some examples of games that released this year (or came to GP recently) that I'd never have bought separately if they weren't on the service. Not to mention big day 1 releases like Halo, Forza, Flight Sim etc.

Honestly, there's just a lot more good to talk about GP than there is negative. If it can convince a PS4 owner like me to swap for the SX this gen, clearly they're doing something right.

Yeah I remember back in the days we had these things called demos, hell developers can easily implement timed trials but I guess a sub makes more money. Gamepass no doubt is great for a certain audience but definitely not everyone. Overall it's good to have options.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Yeah I remember back in the days we had these things called demos, hell developers can easily implement timed trials but I guess a sub makes more money. Gamepass no doubt is great for a certain audience but definitely not everyone. Overall it's good to have options.

We still get demos but like once a quarter lol.

Jaysen

Banned
I don’t know about being proven right, but they definitely grabbed my attention back early this gen. I skipped last gen on Xbox after favoring the 360 the prior gen, but if this year is any indicator, my X will be my main this gen. Quick Resume and Game Pass are just that great. I also enjoy MS Rewards. With MS Rewards I’ve made 310 dollars in Amazon Credit since the launch of Series X. With Sony Rewards I made a five dollar PSN credit.

kingfey

Banned
You say that movies are much better now and then in the next sentence mention Marvel. Lol. Movies are shit these days and you are clearly eating it up. Streaming services marquee bargain bin B movies and in 2021, every notable release has been a sequel or reboot. On the games front, streaming will be the same thing. You will be waiting years for the next sequels to X,Y, Z. You might get an indie gem once a year. Everything else will B tier filler.
Yeah, lets ignore those gimick shit, that come out in 1980s-2010s. You know the one in the 1$ bin, that your mind conveniently forgot about it?

Movies now days are different. Only thing holding them down, is nostalgic. Once you change a movie, you get angry people like you, who wants their nostalgic feed tube. Then complain about it, once the company listens to them.

Boss Mog

MS is still selling games, especially on Steam. Forza 5 sold ~2m on Steam. Sea of Thieves sold ~5m. Games like Starfield will also sell several million. Quality is still very important.
Gamepass is going to cannibalize a lot of those first party sales in the future though as the service becomes more popular, especially among the digital crowd (Series S, Steam, etc...) since they're pretty much guaranteed to stay on the service as long as it exists.

It is good to see Microsoft finally getting their act together, no two ways about it.

In the end, competition is good for us the consumer as other companies also need to be on top of their game.

Let the trend continue.

This. I see nearly 500 posts in the thread, I assume console warriors are in fierce battle. But in the end we should all want all of these companies to compete and do well, otherwise we end up with the Xbox One, WiiU, and PS3.

kingfey

Banned
Gamepass is going to cannibalize a lot of those first party sales in the future though as the service becomes more popular, especially among the digital crowd (Series S, Steam, etc...) since they're pretty much guaranteed to stay on the service as long as it exists.
You have 2 options in these matter.

1: Sell it for 60$, and hope people buy your game.

2: put it on a service, which people will sub to it nonstop, so you get streaming revenue.

step 1 has risks. If a series cant hit the target sales, it will be canned, or put in the storage. Step 2 will have more players, which will be new fan of the game. So your game will live longer.

Difference is, can your game sustain itself in the future? We saw how Sony reacted to their games. They are doing 70$ price, because of the cost of the budget. While MS has a stream of revenue, which can help them fund the game.

Remember, a game takes about 2-6 years to make. Gamepass is monthly recuring revenue. AT 8$ average price gamepass sub, with 25m sub, you will get $200m. Deduct $100m for gamepass game fees, and you are left with $100m. In 6 years, you have $7.2b in those 6 years. that is alot of money for games. You can fund 72 games at $100m budget games for those 6 years.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
You may think it’s stupid, but all that tells me you’ve only ever lived under a purely disposable culture. I’m from a time where we put more weight on art and media.

Todays disposable culture while inevitable; and all you can eat Buffets are catering to the mass market - it make a difference in how we view and consume things.

I’ve personally been through piracy phases where abundant access destroys any appreciation of product, and have seen the rise of limitless streaming music and film have a similar effect on the value of things. We move from one to another at an unhealthy pace with an equally diminished care.

It is what it is.

I agree completely. It also leads to games being developed to be less memorable. Even if they *are* good games, there isn't enough to differentiate it from the previous entries. So as soon as the next game comes out, the previous one is forgotten and no real reason to return to play it. Forza is a perfect example of this. During the 360, each entry felt unique enough with massive upgrades, but each still had a unique style and reason to return. Now though? Why would you ever go back to 5? Or 6? Or Forza Horizon 4? The games are competently made, are fun for a time, but are utterly unmemorable experiences.

This has been an issue with Microsoft over the past generation and focusing on "GAAS" titles. The studios Microsoft owns can do AMAZING experiences. They have done it before and can easily do it again, if they are given the chance. Halo 4, despite its issues, was an excellent first attempt from 343i. It had its issues, but could easily be remedied. Now though? They released a half finished product, rushed out the door and fanboys seem to eat it up like cake.

There are a few games that I am excited for from MS/Xbox, but I fear that the mindless drone fanboys will continue to eat up the low effort titles and MS will think this is what sells, this is what people want and put in less and less effort in their titles.

It's probably the laziest take in gaming to just write off a sequel as just a reskin of a previous game, it's a claim anyone can make about any sequel ever.
As for "limited" experience, well both games are huge open world games with an emphasis on approaching the world's as you see fit, the very opposite of limited, especially compared to some other genres that are celebrated by the same people.
The reviews and player counts tell the story though.

Case in point.

kingfey

Banned
Lay off the console war baits and strawman arguments.
I agree completely. It also leads to games being developed to be less memorable. Even if they *are* good games, there isn't enough to differentiate it from the previous entries. So as soon as the next game comes out, the previous one is forgotten and no real reason to return to play it. Forza is a perfect example of this. During the 360, each entry felt unique enough with massive upgrades, but each still had a unique style and reason to return. Now though? Why would you ever go back to 5? Or 6? Or Forza Horizon 4? The games are competently made, are fun for a time, but are utterly unmemorable experiences.
Isnt that what a "NEW" game is about? Bring you new experience, which makes very different than past experience? Or do you want the cookie cutter of old nostalgic games, that doesn't have anything to offer?

Forza made a big jump from 1 to 5. Yet you are here arguing about memorable experience. No wonders gamers are whiners.

Things evolve. You gain new experience. If you are stuck to the past, that is your fault. Because there are great things that we have now. Things that we didnt have in the past.

This has been an issue with Microsoft over the past generation and focusing on "GAAS" titles. The studios Microsoft owns can do AMAZING experiences. They have done it before and can easily do it again, if they are given the chance. Halo 4, despite its issues, was an excellent first attempt from 343i. It had its issues, but could easily be remedied. Now though? They released a half finished product, rushed out the door and fanboys seem to eat it up like cake.
MS entire gaming division has been multiplayers. Xbox 360 was a multiplayer console. Xbox was built by halo, and its MP section. They arent Sony, or Nintendo, who are built on Single player games.

Doesnt people like halo infinite? Are you saying the game is bad? The game has 10 year of plan. So more contents will come out in the future. Its not 1 complete game. I dont understand your logic of fans eating it like cakes. The game has the old halo gameplay. You sound like a person, who havent played halo infinite at all. As for halo 5, its has good MP, people hated the campaign.

There are a few games that I am excited for from MS/Xbox, but I fear that the mindless drone fanboys will continue to eat up the low effort titles and MS will think this is what sells, this is what people want and put in less and less effort in their titles.
That is your concern. You consider what Sony is offering you high class. No wonder you have these views.

Listen here. Games are defined how fun they are. Just because you dont get it, doesnt mean its shit. It means these games arent for you. You wont find story games like Sony from MS. Because that is not what xbox is about. Its all about how fun their games are. People play their games for gameplay. not for emotion.

One of the main reason why I am not fan of Sony games, is their stories. When you are exposed to too much exposition story, it will make your gameplay not enjoyable.

I played mmo games, sp games, and so far, gameplay has been main source of fun. Letting the game allow me to roam where I want to go, and letting me do what I want to do. I dont get that from Sony games.

I will give you this advice. Dont compare MS to Sony. Because if you do, you wont be able to enjoy any Xbox games at all.

Billbofet

Nah, you're paying to fund and support these titles by paying the subscription. In fact, the reason these games will stay on Gamepass is why I will never unsubscribe.
Even if I did unsubscribe, my takeaway action would be to buy the games I love while subscribed. I didn't "pay" for Forza 5, but I will never be without it again.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Isnt that what a "NEW" game is about? Bring you new experience, which makes very different than past experience? Or do you want the cookie cutter of old nostalgic games, that doesn't have anything to offer?
Old games *did* have things to offer. As I literally stated with Forza from its inception until the final entries of the 360. Here, I will even copy and past what I literally just stated:

"Forza is a perfect example of this. During the 360, each entry felt unique enough with massive upgrades, but each still had a unique style and reason to return." New entries into a series that offered something unique, memorable, and reasons to return to them.
Forza made a big jump from 1 to 5. Yet you are here arguing about memorable experience. No wonders gamers are whiners.
Forza made massive jumps on the 360. 1-4. However, every entry after that offered nothing of real value. They are competently made games, but nothing stood out. Nothing was unique enough to return to them. Often times, they had *less* content and *less* value than the 360 entries.
Things evolve. You gain new experience. If you are stuck to the past, that is your fault. Because there are great things that we have now. Things that we didnt have in the past.
Things do evolve and we should push that developers put more effort into evolving long-lived franchises instead of accepting the bare basics with little difference other than a new coat of paint.
MS entire gaming division has been multiplayers. Xbox 360 was a multiplayer console. Xbox was built by halo, and its MP section. They arent Sony, or Nintendo, who are built on Single player games.
This is ignorant of Microsoft's history. Yes, they had MP options, but still had plenty of amazing, strong, and memorable single player options. People still remember and love Halo 1 specifically for its single player content. Gears, Forza, older Rare titles and numerous others. MP was a reason people enjoyed it, but it wasn't the only selling point. It wasn't even the most important thing.
Doesnt people like halo infinite? Are you saying the game is bad? The game has 10 year of plan. So more contents will come out in the future. Its not 1 complete game. I dont understand your logic of fans eating it like cakes. The game has the old halo gameplay. You sound like a person, who havent played halo infinite at all. As for halo 5, its has good MP, people hated the campaign.
Console warriors like you actively defending a game that has less content than any previous entry, massive portions cut out and promised to release months later, and aggressive MTX that treats its players like walking bags of money than valued players. You are the very person I am talking about and you are only proving my point.
That is your concern. You consider what Sony is offering you high class. No wonder you have these views.
You sad, deluded little console warrior. No where did I mention Sony. Never did I state that "Sony is offering high class products".
Listen here. Games are defined how fun they are. Just because you dont get it, doesnt mean its shit. It means these games arent for you. You wont find story games like Sony from MS. Because that is not what xbox is about. Its all about how fun their games are. People play their games for gameplay. not for emotion.
Games are defined by numerous things. From their graphical presentation, art direction, music, acting, gameplay, etc. People *do* play games for emotion. Look at HellBlade: Senua's Sacrifice for example.
One of the main reason why I am not fan of Sony games, is their stories. When you are exposed to too much exposition story, it will make your gameplay not enjoyable.
I played mmo games, sp games, and so far, gameplay has been main source of fun. Letting the game allow me to roam where I want to go, and letting me do what I want to do. I dont get that from Sony games.

I will give you this advice. Dont compare MS to Sony. Because if you do, you wont be able to enjoy any Xbox games at all.

Again, you are the only one bringing up Sony. You really really want to push console warring don't you?

Ozriel

M$FT
The main issue I see with Gamepass is that there's not much incentive for MS and its studios to produce quality unlike direct sales which would suffer if you were to release a sub-par effort.

Some of these arguments are genuinely puzzling.
You’re aware that MS first party games are still sold to a large market outside Gamepass? Steam and retail sales?

kingfey

Banned
Things do evolve and we should push that developers put more effort into evolving long-lived franchises instead of accepting the bare basics with little difference other than a new coat of paint.
Tell that to gamers. Any change to their franchise, and you get angry mobs. Splinter cell conviction did a new spin of the series, and it met with hatred. As long as gamers refuse to accept a change, devs cant simply change it.

This is ignorant of Microsoft's history. Yes, they had MP options, but still had plenty of amazing, strong, and memorable single player options. People still remember and love Halo 1 specifically for its single player content. Gears, Forza, older Rare titles and numerous others. MP was a reason people enjoyed it, but it wasn't the only selling point. It wasn't even the most important thing.
Xbox was built in by halo MP, halo split screen, and the xbox live. That is what made xbox. The only reason to get it, was the ability to play with strangers. This is clearly shown during the x360.

Console warriors like you actively defending a game that has less content than any previous entry, massive portions cut out and promised to release months later, and aggressive MTX that treats its players like walking bags of money than valued players. You are the very person I am talking about and you are only proving my point.
I am not console warrior here. People liked the single player mode.
The MP needs mtx in order to work. No one is going to deny that. You dont get free MP mode, without some serious mtx. That is how free games work.

And as for content cut, the game has 10 year plan.

Beyond multiplayer though, Halo Infinite has the perfect set up for continuous campaigns and content drops within the game itself. Microsoft recently trademarked “Halo: The Endless” and that would make for a strong campaign added after Halo Infinite's ending. Microsoft can take players to a new sandbox on the Zeta Halo, introduce new enemies and weapons, add other single-player content, and really drive home an evolving game and story.
Halo Infinite’s multiplayer will keep players coming back, but the campaign has the potential to retain them for ten years. The right additions at the right price, a growing and evolving sandbox, gameplay innovations, and far more mean Halo Infinite might very well be infinite in potential. Perhaps the best part of this is how healthy competition between Halo Infinite and Destiny 2 could really drive both franchises to new heights for their players and maybe, actually, define the next 10 years. It's too early to call it for sure, but the potential is there.

aside of the development hell, The game intent was for 10 years. Its not meant as a full complete package.

You sad, deluded little console warrior. No where did I mention Sony. Never did I state that "Sony is offering high class products".

Isnt this what you said?
but I fear that the mindless drone fanboys will continue to eat up the low effort titles and MS will think this is what sells, this is what people want and put in less and less effort in their titles.
Because that is attacking people, for enjoying games. You consider these games as low effort titles. You are discarding people who have fun with these games. If that isnt acting as high and might, I dont know what else to consider it.

Games are defined by numerous things. From their graphical presentation, art direction, music, acting, gameplay, etc. People *do* play games for emotion. Look at HellBlade: Senua's Sacrifice for example.
That is why there are tons of genre for it. Not everyone will like the same game. People like games like ff7 settings. People like mmo. People like games like sea of theives and it takes two. There are endless type of games, that isnt bound by story or graphics.

Last edited:

Billbofet

I feel the moment Sony figures out a way to improve PS Now to make it even close to the value prop that GamePass is, then and only THEN is it good for the industry.
It will be fun to see the mental gymnastics

That said, if they did do this for PS5, I would get one much quicker than I now plan to.

PaintTinJr

It is good to see Microsoft finally getting their act together, no two ways about it.

In the end, competition is good for us the consumer as other companies also need to be on top of their game.

Let the trend continue.
My issue is that it feels like we are being played by the platform holders collectively - because all their initiatives to compete are orthogonal to each other, so they don't really compete, and we still endure all the stuff they push on us. All platforms now having paid online feels like we were played compared to the Wii vs PS3 Vs 360 gen.

And as another example, Minecraft on XsX (through gamepass, not sure about buying outright) has a menu item for RT, but is inaccessible and has been for ages - despite the 12TF/s and it being an available feature on PC for ages. If we had true competition then that feature would have been sorted months ago IMHO. But there is no competition pressure for them to sort it, even though it was show at reveal.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
To be honest......Microsoft, Nintendo, and Sony were all "right" in 2021. None of them have been proven wrong. They are selling everything that they make. And all three have things that we all can point to that were the right move for them.

Ceadeus

Of the previous console, not CONSOLES. With the probable possibility of using new PS+/PsNow hybrid in the near future.

And btw, can YOU insert an original Xbox disc in the console and it will work? MS pase shows there're 116 (or so) original Xbox games compatible with One/Series consoles. You expect that a company that didn't do BC with PS4 and removed the option from PS3 will suddenly be better than a company that is leading in this example?

I'm talking about having expectations. MS BC program wasn't done in a year or wasn't done during the life of one generation of console. Sony knows they need to make it work and let's at least wait those few months before the new offer is presented.
You're right! Well said

kingfey

Banned
My issue is that it feels like we are being played by the platform holders collectively - because all their initiatives to compete are orthogonal to each other, so they don't really compete, and we still endure all the stuff they push on us. All platforms now having paid online feels like we were played compared to the Wii vs PS3 Vs 360 gen.

And as another example, Minecraft on XsX (through gamepass, not sure about buying outright) has a menu item for RT, but is inaccessible and has been for ages - despite the 12TF/s and it being an available feature on PC for ages. If we had true competition then that feature would have been sorted months ago IMHO. But there is no competition pressure for them to sort it, even though it was show at reveal.
We like each company to do their own ways. That is much better competition. Since this way, we won't have alot toxic gamers. Everyone will be happy that way.

Sony is great on story telling. MS is great on multiplayer. Nintendo is great with community interaction.

Towards the end of last gen you could see the trajectory that MS was going on and so far they have not missed a beat
they have the best hardware and rather than trickle one or 2 first party games out a year they are on track to deliver a huge amount of gamepass first/third party games to their userbase

The silver lining to this is the success of this is only going to spur on sony to do a better job of looking after their userbase instead of treating them like cattle

Haggard

Banned
The Series S is the only "new" console with an acceptable form-factor right now.
Both the plastic vulva and the air purifier have no place in my living room.
Do you think high performance computing parts run on love and air that you can't accept the form factors?
Would you prefer to fry your hardware the moment you turn it on?
The consoles are already very compact for what they can do, especially the series X.

Last edited:

adamsapple

The Series S is the only "new" console with an acceptable form-factor right now.
Both the plastic vulva and the air purifier have no place in my living room.
The S is definitely the best looking piece of hardware of the three, but I also appreciate how small and dense of a form factor X has.

The PS5 is the rebirth of the George Foreman grill design from the PS3 and the least pleasing of the three to look at. DE looks good but the bolted on disc drive on the other model looks bleh.

ManaByte

Gold Member
The PS5 is the rebirth of the George Foreman grill design from the PS3 and the least pleasing of the three to look at. DE looks good but the bolted on disc drive on the other model looks bleh.

It looks like a Foreman grill that got warped from heat or something. Or something that has a swollen lithium battery at one end.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
The S is definitely the best looking piece of hardware of the three, but I also appreciate how small and dense of a form factor X has.

I think it's Xbox Series S >>PS5DE>>>>>>>Xbox Series X>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>PS5

Minecraft isn't even optimized for Series consoles. Mojang is lazy af.

Zug

Do you think high performance computing parts run on love and air that you can't accept the form factors?
Would you prefer to fry your hardware the moment you turn it on?
The consoles are already very compact for what they can do, especially the series X.
I have a mini itx PC comparable to a SeriesX and slightly bigger (Ncase M1), so I understand the technological limits.

The new console revisions will be more compact and more efficient, as they always are, I'll probably consider it then.
Unpopular opinion here, but maybe they aimed too high given the available tech when the consoles were designed.
Maybe this is the result of the dick contest between Sony and MS : computing power but impratical objects, which consoles are originaly meant to be.

Last edited:

TheGrat1

After some of the revelations in the recent DF thread I have to question everything like this that we now see.
Can you elaborate on this? I am curious as to what you mean.
I've said it before, but Sony really should have followed Microsoft and made a Series S type of console. Microsoft is cleaning up with the Series S and gaining marketshare since the PS5 is not readily available (neither is the XSX to be fair).
Anecdotal story time: My local Target has started selling every console except the two PS5 versions over the counter. They still have to be ordered online and picked up in store with drops only coming on certain days. A week before Thanksgiving they had an influx of at least 14 Series Ss. A few would sell during the week. However, the day before (or after, I do not really remember and it is really not important) Thanksgiving they had a delivery of 12 Series Xs, at least 15 Switches (regular and OLED Models) and put 10 PS5s up for order. They all sold out that day. The Series Ss were there for another week and there is still a Fortnite bundle one sitting in the case to this day (although I am not sure if that is from the pre-Thanksgiving shipment, they got a resupply of Ss, just not as many as they did pre-Thanksgiving).
/Story time.

Based on my experience and the fact that Series S has reportedly been available nationwide I would say: No, Sony should not have followed Microsoft and produced a console that plays second third and fourth fiddle both to it's competitors and it's big brother as long as they are available. Making a Digital PS5 with no changes to the guts was the smart move. 1 spec to program for, 1 component assembly process to set up for, and still maintains the S' most important feature: digital only so that consumers are locked in to one ecosystem. Digital only Series X (maybe with a smaller SSD) would have been great.

Gonna need to see the receipts on that "gaining marketshare" claim. Even then there are so many caveats with Covid and component shortages that attributing it to the S is kind of a stretch.

I have a mini itx PC comparable to a SeriesX and slightly bigger (Ncase M1), so I understand the technological limits.

The new console revisions will be more compact and more efficient, as they always are, I'll probably consider it then.
Unpopular opinion here, but maybe they aimed too high given the available tech when the consoles were designed.
Maybe this is the result of the dick contest between Sony and MS : computing power but impratical objects, which consoles are originaly meant to be.
The series consoles are much better designed and it’s pretty clear why as they didn’t want another rrod situation

As for the Sony design…I’m not going to really comment on it anymore as it triggers some people but I do hope they make the thing smaller in the future

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Tell that to gamers. Any change to their franchise, and you get angry mobs. Splinter cell conviction did a new spin of the series, and it met with hatred. As long as gamers refuse to accept a change, devs cant simply change it.
And this never stopped them before, why would it now? Every Halo game up to 4 continued to add new ways to play, new methods of control, new unique gameplay mechanics. Splinter Cell Conviction was met with critical reception for many reasons. I would suggest you read up and actually learn about them before you make wide spread claims that don't match reality.
Xbox was built in by halo MP, halo split screen, and the xbox live. That is what made xbox. The only reason to get it, was the ability to play with strangers. This is clearly shown during the x360.
Great games with numerous ways to play made Xbox. Millions bought the original and 360 for reasons other than MP. Again, you are actively talking out your ass.
I am not console warrior here. People liked the single player mode.
You are a console warrior. You are one of the most egregious on the site. You are Xbox's very own TheLastWord.
The MP needs mtx in order to work. No one is going to deny that. You dont get free MP mode, without some serious mtx. That is how free games work.
The MP could have released as a paid portion of Infinite, adding more value to the purchase of the game for thsoe outside of GamePass. For those with Gamepass it would still be "free". The only reason it was made free was to justify the lack of content and nickle/dime gullible console warriors like yourself.
And as for content cut, the game has 10 year plan.

Beyond multiplayer though, Halo Infinite has the perfect set up for continuous campaigns and content drops within the game itself. Microsoft recently trademarked “Halo: The Endless” and that would make for a strong campaign added after Halo Infinite's ending. Microsoft can take players to a new sandbox on the Zeta Halo, introduce new enemies and weapons, add other single-player content, and really drive home an evolving game and story.
Halo Infinite’s multiplayer will keep players coming back, but the campaign has the potential to retain them for ten years. The right additions at the right price, a growing and evolving sandbox, gameplay innovations, and far more mean Halo Infinite might very well be infinite in potential. Perhaps the best part of this is how healthy competition between Halo Infinite and Destiny 2 could really drive both franchises to new heights for their players and maybe, actually, define the next 10 years. It's too early to call it for sure, but the potential is there.

aside of the development hell, The game intent was for 10 years. Its not meant as a full complete package.
And this makes it ok? We shouldn't accept unfinished games with the promise that it will be "complete" years later.
Isnt this what you said?
This literally has nothing to do with Sony. YOU were the one who brought Sony into this. YOU are the one so desperate to compare this to Sony. Get your head out of your console warrior arse, kiddo.
Because that is attacking people, for enjoying games. You consider these games as low effort titles. You are discarding people who have fun with these games. If that isnt acting as high and might, I dont know what else to consider it.
If this is an attack to you then don't ever go outside or interact with people. I will continue to claim that FH5 and Halo Infinite are lower effort releases in their respective franchises and that people like you will gladly slop it up and defend games being unfinished/disposable as you did in this very post. Whether you like the game or not, you can't in good faith claim that these games are as high of quality and effort as previous entries in their respective franchises.
That is why there are tons of genre for it. Not everyone will like the same game. People like games like ff7 settings. People like mmo. People like games like sea of theives and it takes two. There are endless type of games, that isnt bound by story or graphics.
Your sudden about face and goal post moving is hilarious. Yes, there are tons of genres, tons of games and types of gameplay and we should push and expect more diversity in those fields instead of the same stale style of game that we have been seeing year after year (something you were literally just championing).

Last edited:
Top Bottom