• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HP Lovecraft Steam Sale

simpatico

0904bef822433c24a204ebcb626e81ec801412cf.jpg

Lovecraftian AA game enjoyers; rejoice. There's a fun sale this weekend that is easy on the pockets. If anyone has played these, drops some recommendations.

I picked up the new Call of Cthulu
call-of-cthulhu.jpg

Which has pretty good reviews. Seems like nice atmospheric Sunday morning kind of game.

I also picked up The Shore
ss_73edb98a7a795c229df8f3feb8b66c48e05d23d5.1920x1080.jpg

This one sounds like more of a walking sim with a little bit of "combat", but hey it's $2 and oozing with the Old Ones.

I don't know how Lovcraftian it is, but anyone who enjoys Castlevania must surely own Bloodstained by now. If not, here's your chance
ss_b6395f6f0a5fd2aba444bfea1a3b63d3e1ba4621.1920x1080.jpg

This is easily the best Metroidvania I've played outside of actual Castlevania games. No one else can seem to capture the feel. Other games in the genre just make me want to go back and play SotN (which somehow is still on available on PC, Konami plz)

Anyone have recommendations for games in this sale? I haven't played many of them.

Last edited:

Vlodril

Stygian: Reign of the old ones is only 4. I personally really enjoyed it. One of the best Cthulu games (albeit the ending is very abrupt they seemed to run out of money or time). Definitely recommend it.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Get Bloodstained and the Iga DLC if you haven’t already. It’s a lot of fun. You also get 3 playable characters on top of the main character. The 3rd playable character is a secret. Best game I ever backed on Kickstarter.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

The best Lovecraft media are the ones that don't involve Lovecraft's work.
To add to that.

The best lovecraftian/cosmic horror/eldritch horror in all fiction including games

Doesn't advertise itself as such. Meaning that it pretends to be something else.

I'm sure I'm gonna parrot all who have played it, what makes bloodborne the best in that genre is purely the discovery and the eventual knowledge of the game indeed being that instead of being about wolves and vampires like you initially think.

Calling your game "call of cthulu" and having big tentacle monsters everywhere in your marketing devalues the horror aspect of the genre

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Play the old Call Of Cthulhu game too, if you didn't already.

I don't know if it holds up in 2023, but it had a huge impact on me at the time. It's one of the rare horror games I've finished.

The only good Cthulhu game. Rest are trash. Get it off gog tho, heard steam version is broken.

Last edited:

Doczu

Play the old Call Of Cthulhu game too, if you didn't already.

I don't know if it holds up in 2023, but it had a huge impact on me at the time. It's one of the rare horror games I've finished.
Plyedit back in it's day, it's a good fps adventure game, recommended to anyone having an itch for cosmic horror with a bit of body gore.

Howver i heardthe game is quite buggy on newer OS, did they fix it?

simpatico

The Shore is really nice. For $2 it's a no brainer if you want a nice aesthetic walk on the beach. Gonna try out Call of Cthulu after Easter dinner.

simpatico

Is control actually Lovecraftian? It does look kinda spooky from the previews.
A little bit I suppose. The Hiss certainly have some other worldly vibes. I can see it. If you haven't played Control, by all means: cancel your plans for the rest of the day. So close to a modern classic.

Top Bottom