• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zalusithix

First off, I have not tried to get the DAS off again, I imagine the same way by rotating the connectors until a loud clicking is heard, as in this official VIVE tutorial[/URL

Rotation doesn't work with the DAS - the connectors are slightly different. DAS disconnects by simply [URL="https://www.vive.com/sg/support/category_howto/removing-the-earphones-from-the-strap.html"]pulling them from the headset
. I haven't done it personally, but from quickly tugging on it on mine right now, it probably takes a fair amount of force. I do remember a DAS review (Tested?) where the guy had the sides disconnecting because of the way he held the unit by the side instead of the top.

Also, SimplexPL... I don't see how the foam has anything to do with the spring mechanism? Edit: Nevermind, misread - they're unrelated issues.

Does antyone know how to REMOVE the Deluxe Audio Strap? I tried googling, to no avail, it only finds instruction to install it (which includes removing the old one).

I ask, because on top of the faulty foam padding, this happened:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6Pn3Kif1fE

I've read about others with this problem on reddit. Apparently it can be fixed by fulling extending the grinding side a few times.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/6gmjs9/deluxe_audio_strap_spring_grinding/

Hm, another bug report I guess... after reinstalling Steam VR, the controllers wont simply be recognized. They show a green led but in the Steam VR UI they stay grey and are not visible from inside the HMD.

Pressing "pair controller" always says "One controller needs to be turned off" I can only press ok and the window closes. This message always comes up no matter of the status of any controllers, so in effect "pair controller" is useless.

Resetting the controller by usb cable and holding down the reset button combination doesn't do anything. Lights turn orange but that it.

Google spits out some results of people having the same problem and the only solution that works is turning the controller on while Steam VR is running, then connecting the controller with usb cable to your computer but not using the reset combination, light turns orange on controller, disconnect cable - Now the symbol in Steam VR UI turns green and the controller becomes usuable again. Same deal with the other controller.

Thing is, when you reboot your HMD, you have to repeat that step again because then they become lost again.... annoying.

Played through Everest VR... kinda torn on it, I feel like current HMD resolution is always a bit problematic when you want to convey scale that can't be directly compared and is only comparable via microdetail (rocks/snow in this case) It's alslo not very long, about 45 minutes. I like all these non game experiences but more than 10 bucks for this is pushing it imo.

-

Something different:

There is a dude working on a modernized version of the mod for Alien Isolation. I hope tracked controllers will be supported in the end because I really don't care for gamepad use in VR, he makes no promises tho. In the video he says that he will release a first version (without tracked motion controller support) for Oculus Rift next weekend. Let's see where this goes.

So as we near the end of this thread, what do you all think about making the next thread a general SteamVR thread instead just being focused on the Vive? I feel like since SteamVR supports the Rift and with the LG headset coming out soon it'd make sense to have all SteamVR supported headsets using the same thread instead separated into their own headset specific threads.

So as we near the end of this thread, what do you all think about making the next thread a general SteamVR thread instead just being focused on the Vive? I feel like since SteamVR supports the Rift and with the LG headset coming out soon it'd make sense to have all SteamVR supported headsets using the same thread instead separated into their own headset specific threads.

I think a general virtual reality thread would be fine. Unite with our Rift and PSVR brothers & sisters :)

Zalusithix

I think a general PCVR game thread is the best bet for software talk at this point. While not official, there's compatibility that goes between the Steam and Oculus libraries. This will likely become a three way compatibility mesh with whatever MS does store wise. I mean we could have store front specific threads, but any given game can be on multiple store fronts, so that just needlessly splits the conversation.

I do think there should be a general SteamVR hardware thread though that'll encompass both the Vive and LG unit. The technical overlap between all headsets using lighthouse based tracking will mean that questions and solutions will be mostly transferable between all hardware using it. We'll also have third party controllers/accessories that'll work between the headsets. No sense in duplicating conversation in multiple threads. Get enough duplication as it is with questions being asked multiple times even in one thread.

I think a general virtual reality thread would be fine. Unite with our Rift and PSVR brothers & sisters :)

I don't think PSVR should be part of the threads though. There's 0 cross compatibility between PCVR headsets and the PSVR ecosystem. PSVR talk will just add noise for people with PCVR sets to filter out.

A general Steam VR thread sounds good, maybe more focused on only games and there can still be a hardware thread for the different headsets.

-

Sublevel Zero Redux was recently updated with full/official VR support.
http://steamcommunity.com/games/327880/announcements/detail/2864703895796766759

I don't think PSVR should be part of the threads though. There's 0 cross compatibility between PCVR headsets and the PSVR ecosystem. PSVR talk will just add noise for people with PCVR sets to filter out.

This isn't true though, I play Star Trek: Bridge Crew with pc players on both vive and rift on my psvr set. PSVR also has a ton of ports and many more on the way, in common with vive. We just go fantastic contraption, super hot next week and smashbox arena the week after.

Zalusithix

This isn't true though, I play Star Trek: Bridge Crew with pc players on both vive and rift on my psvr set. PSVR also has a ton of ports and many more on the way, in common with vive. We just go fantastic contraption, super hot next week and smashbox arena the week after.

Multiplayer crossplay between PCVR and PSVR makes up for an extremely small selection of games. Many games will never make the jump, let alone be multiplayer compatible. Sony funded games are never going to come to the PC, and Oculus games will never be seen on PSVR. Meanwhile timed exclusives can last up to a year. It's quite a bit different than the Oculus/Steam situation where it's possible to bypass any restrictions on release day with a simple software layer.

I've got nothing against PSVR users, but that ecosystem is just far more removed from the PCVR ecosystems than any of the PCVR ecosystems are from each other. The PSVR owners are also unified behind one OT that has no problems with staying active. PCVR owners, on the other hand, are split between two OTs which will soon become a half dozen different OTs if we keep the hardware specific PCVR OTs.

Ideally the games that are available for PSVR and PCVR without massive delays would be capable of supporting their own OTs. The megathreads we are currently using to discuss games are a side effect of VR not having a large enough player base to keep game specific OTs healthy.

Awesome. I'm glad to see so many people interested in doing a general PCVR thread. Look forward to seeing you guys there. I still can't believe I'm getting a VR headset from that deal. I thought for sure it was going to be a Vive, likely 2.0. probably still will, but in the meantime a $300 Oculus is great stopover.

Just for the record, I had trouble getting the Vive controllers to show up in the Steam VR UI. To keep it short, I've tried everything that I could find online (Steam/Steam Community and other sources talking about these problems) and some of it worked temporarily until restart of the computer and I managed to create different stages of problems that I read about online that other people experienced (like getting one to work and the second not, then getting the second temporarily until breaking the pairing etc etc).

The problem was gone after simply switching USB ports for the link box, nothing else worked and it was literally the last thing that I've tried.
I'm not technically experienced enough to pinpoint the problem but it's obviously USB management related and none of the solutions online worked, that's kinda scary when you somehow get this problem on all of your USB ports... I wouldn't know how to fix this other than a firmware reset of the mainboard and/or complete windows reinstallation (I guess the latter is what's causing the problem but I'm not sure)

2 of my USB3.0 ports are now unusable because on both of them the controllers simply wont show, I have another 5 left lol

kinggroin

Banned
Hm, another bug report I guess... after reinstalling Steam VR, the controllers wont simply be recognized. They show a green led but in the Steam VR UI they stay grey and are not visible from inside the HMD.

Pressing "pair controller" always says "One controller needs to be turned off" I can only press ok and the window closes. This message always comes up no matter of the status of any controllers, so in effect "pair controller" is useless.

Resetting the controller by usb cable and holding down the reset button combination doesn't do anything. Lights turn orange but that it.

Google spits out some results of people having the same problem and the only solution that works is turning the controller on while Steam VR is running, then connecting the controller with usb cable to your computer but not using the reset combination, light turns orange on controller, disconnect cable - Now the symbol in Steam VR UI turns green and the controller becomes usuable again. Same deal with the other controller.

Thing is, when you reboot your HMD, you have to repeat that step again because then they become lost again.... annoying.

This happened to me. Fixed by restarting SteamVR.

Soi-Fong

Shit.. My Oculus Touch isn't being recognized by SteamVR..

God damn.. I thought Valve fixed all these issues with SteamVR. I feel like there's a lot of gotchas with SteamVR that you don't have to deal with in Oculus Home.

Zalusithix

Is anyone lined up to make it? It'll be a quite an OP to take on.

Still need to kind of decide what "it" is. A general SteamVR thread like this one where a mix of hardware and software is discussed, or a hardware specific thread dedicated to the native SteamVR headsets? Of course a hardware thread will require a complimentary software thread - and then there's the matter of whether it should be Steam focused or general PCVR.

Edit: The later point about a general PCVR gaming thread would technically require the cooperation of Rift owners though.

Paganmoon

Still need to kind of decide what "it" is. A general SteamVR thread like this one where a mix of hardware and software is discussed, or a hardware specific thread dedicated to the native SteamVR headsets? Of course a hardware thread will require a complimentary software thread - and then there's the matter of whether it should be Steam focused or general PCVR.

Shouldn't be Vive specific at least. SteamVR is my vote, if that matters, don't see why it'd have to be 2 different threads either. SteamVR/OpenVR thread, with both hardware and software discussion, as we've done so far in this thread. Just a title change pretty much.

Zalusithix

Shouldn't be Vive specific at least. SteamVR is my vote, if that matters, don't see why it'd have to be 2 different threads either. SteamVR/OpenVR thread, with both hardware and software discussion, as we've done so far in this thread. Just a title change pretty much.

Separation of hardware and software was an idea to keep discussion more on point. With two threads, the hardware and issues related to it can be discussed without being interrupted by game focused posts. The same benefit would be granted to the software thread. That and if the software thread is a general PCVR thread, it'll keep all the PCVR game discussion in one place instead of fragmenting it between the Oculus / SteamVR / Windows headsets threads. There's no reason for us to put more walls between our VR communities than we already have.

Paganmoon

Separation of hardware and software was an idea to keep discussion more on point. With two threads, the hardware and issues related to it can be discussed without being interrupted by game focused posts. The same benefit would be granted to the software thread. That and if the software thread is a general PCVR thread, it'll keep all the PCVR game discussion in one place instead of fragmenting it between the Oculus / SteamVR / Windows headsets threads. There's no reason for us to put more walls between our VR communities than we already have.

That does make sense yeah. Though would require OR/Vive users to play nice together, then again, it's been very civil discussion here on NeoGaf at least, so yeah, could work.

krumble

Just for the record, I had trouble getting the Vive controllers to show up in the Steam VR UI. To keep it short, I've tried everything that I could find online (Steam/Steam Community and other sources talking about these problems) and some of it worked temporarily until restart of the computer and I managed to create different stages of problems that I read about online that other people experienced (like getting one to work and the second not, then getting the second temporarily until breaking the pairing etc etc).

The problem was gone after simply switching USB ports for the link box, nothing else worked and it was literally the last thing that I've tried.
I'm not technically experienced enough to pinpoint the problem but it's obviously USB management related and none of the solutions online worked, that's kinda scary when you somehow get this problem on all of your USB ports... I wouldn't know how to fix this other than a firmware reset of the mainboard and/or complete windows reinstallation (I guess the latter is what's causing the problem but I'm not sure)

2 of my USB3.0 ports are now unusable because on both of them the controllers simply wont show, I have another 5 left lol

Pretty sure from memory (99.9% sure in fact) it's recommended to plug the Vive link box into a USB 2 socket...

Edit: Valve still have it on their steam vr troubleshooting page under the headset section that some USB 3.0 & 3.1 chipsets can cause issues and to use a USB 2 port

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=8566-SDZC-9326

Tain

SteamVR |OT2| Full Reactive Eyes Entertainment

idk yu suzuki would have been all about this shit in another timeline ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Pretty sure from memory (99.9% sure in fact) it's recommended to plug the Vive link box into a USB 2 socket...

Edit: Valve still have it on their steam vr troubleshooting page under the headset section that some USB 3.0 & 3.1 chipsets can cause issues and to use a USB 2 port

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=8566-SDZC-9326

Yeah, thing is that it was working fine for several months, until I had to reinstall everything because I installed a new SSD and went from Windows 7 to 10, then problems appeared.

Multiplayer crossplay between PCVR and PSVR makes up for an extremely small selection of games. Many games will never make the jump, let alone be multiplayer compatible. Sony funded games are never going to come to the PC, and Oculus games will never be seen on PSVR. Meanwhile timed exclusives can last up to a year. It's quite a bit different than the Oculus/Steam situation where it's possible to bypass any restrictions on release day with a simple software layer.

I've got nothing against PSVR users, but that ecosystem is just far more removed from the PCVR ecosystems than any of the PCVR ecosystems are from each other. The PSVR owners are also unified behind one OT that has no problems with staying active. PCVR owners, on the other hand, are split between two OTs which will soon become a half dozen different OTs if we keep the hardware specific PCVR OTs.

Ideally the games that are available for PSVR and PCVR without massive delays would be capable of supporting their own OTs. The megathreads we are currently using to discuss games are a side effect of VR not having a large enough player base to keep game specific OTs healthy.

I'm with you, I was just playing a bit of devils advocate. I think a thread for pcvr specifically is a good idea.

Zalusithix

I've started working on a generalized SteamVR hardware thread to replace that aspect of this one, but it'll take a couple days at least to be ready given the massive amount of information that needs to be compiled into it.

It'll have:
  • Both the Vive and LG headsets (or at least what we know of the LG unit for now).
  • Controllers for both of those will be covered along with Valve's Knuckles.
  • Accessories like the DAS and Vive trackers will be covered.
  • It'll have a primer on lighthouse based tracking - both gen 1 and gen 2.
  • SteamVR setup and related programs like ReVive and OpenVR Advanced Settings will be discussed.
  • A FAQ section.
I'm currently debating whether it should have a review section. Review contents outdate over time and will not be directly comparable between pieces of similar hardware released at different times anyhow. That and given the amount of hardware being covered, that'd be a boatload of reviews. I think it's better for that sort of congratulatory stuff to stay in a hardware specific launch thread while the main SteamVR hardware thread remains a general information repository and discussion location. That way a single link to a hardware specific thread can cover all reviews instead of having hundreds of links cluttering up the OT.

It will not have:
  • Any game recommendations / lists.
  • Any mention of non-native hardware that can be made to work with SteamVR. (OSVR/PSVR/mobile/etc.)
This of course leaves the software side of things untouched. That's also a large undertaking in its own right for whoever wants to pick that up - especially if we go the general PCVR route. Between the Steam and Oculus storefront there's a lot of good content to cover and figure out how to present in a logical manner. Having all that stuff in one location should go a long way though to dispel the "no games" argument.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
So a SteamVR thread where we recommend VR games, talk upcoming VR games and any VR games news in general

i can draft up an OT for that, though we still need a thread title

Paganmoon

So a SteamVR thread where we recommend VR games, talk upcoming VR games and any VR games news in general

i can draft up an OT for that, though we still need a thread title

I think Zalusithix' idea was more a general PCVR one, for both Oculus Store games and SteamVR games (and stand alone OpenVR games for that matter).

ArtHands

I think Zalusithix' idea was more a general PCVR one, for both Oculus Store games and SteamVR games (and stand alone OpenVR games for that matter).

His thread is about the hardwares of SteamVR rather than softwares. I am suggesting we have another thread that is dedicated to the softwares

Come to think about it maybe not just SteamVR games but games on PC in general. Oculus Home, Steam and Viveport and whatever new stores in future.

PC VR Softwares | OT | Virtually Real

https://twitter.com/yosp/status/886802524895825921
Lol, shuhei yoshida is visiting the VRzone arcade that just opened in Japan.

Paganmoon

His thread is about the hardwares of SteamVR rather than softwares. I am suggesting we have another thread that is dedicated to the softwares

Come to think about it maybe not just SteamVR games but games on PC in general. Oculus Home, Steam and Viveport and whatever new stores in future.

PC VR Softwares | OT | Virtually Real

Yes, that's what he suggested:) He's making the Hardware one, but his suggestion was also making an all-encompassing PCVR software thread.

ArtHands

Alright sure.

so we'll have a SteamVR hardware thread and a PC VR software thread then.

It'll be a great timing for the new waves of oculus rift owners who are looking for softwares as well

I've nothing much to say aside from i am Top of the World in 3 tracks on Audioshield where i am not the only person to have set times. Only in Normal Mode but i don't care :D

Top of the WORLD! \0/

Carry on...

I've nothing much to say aside from i am Top of the World in 3 tracks on Audioshield where i am not the only person to have set times. Only in Normal Mode but i don't care :D

Top of the WORLD! \0/

Carry on...

Names of those songs? (I only play the second difficulty usually but if you want competition?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom