• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Humane introduces AI Pin - the next step in AI-fueled personal gadgets

SJRB

Gold Member

F-gmLL4bQAAb4iR

Remarkable technology with limited (actual) real-life use.

Very High Tech - High Life.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Interesting gimmick. I have no interest, personally. I'd try my best to use the features then definitely not use any of them.

GymWolf

Imagine having the name of your company that rhyme with hymen.

The gadget is cool, ngl.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

This straight up star trek shit. Amazing. Presentation was great.

However i feel like, why bother with a pin that's ugly as shit. When u have a mobile that can probably do the same.

KrakenIPA

This straight up star trek shit. Amazing. Presentation was great.

However i feel like, why bother with a pin that's ugly as shit. When u have a mobile that can probably do the same.
I suppose they would be linked up together. Honestly I would be afraid of tapping it too hard and losing it down a sewer grate or something.

SJRB

Gold Member
You're required to live in a high-trust society to be able to use this outside your house.

Also, Spike Jonze was a true Nostradamus over a decade ago.

image.jpg

jason10mm

Gold Member
Hopefully it will look at the food people are about to eat and say things like "you really gonna eat those Cheetos, yah fat fuck? Maybe try some celery sticks instead and we wouldn't have to shop for new pants every two weeks!"

Sybrix

That language translation is pretty insane.

AI is developing so fast, im sure the next iPhone and IOS will start to introduce AI assistants etc.

HoodWinked

That is quite a valiant attempt. For them to integrate so many technologies and ideas into a single device and have it even be somewhat functional I can imagine took hundreds of thousands of hours of coding and engineering.

wondermega

Sounds like a first generation misfire, but - as with so many of these things nowadays - there's a rush to get to market (first, or close to it) and start figuring out what the viable use cases are after it's out in the world. I suppose we will probably continue seeing more of that down the road, somewhat disappointingly.

Appears to have a lot of interesting, if half-baked ideas, as a result. Obviously the projector feature is cool as hell, although (like so much of the rest of what is going on with this thing) it is not yet ready for prime time. As a designer I am very interested in this line of thinking, and it's fascinating to consider the new notions of computer interface/navigation that it can involve. Not ready yet, but interesting to watch and see where this (and devices like this) will go.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I wonder how long the battery lasts.

I think a new version of google-glasses would be more practical though, with terminator style augmented reality visual overlays and the ability to have physical controls on the side rails as well as spacial sensing tech like is used here. When google glass forst came out the "OMG you are FILMING ME!?!?!??!?" outrage was a bit concerning, but nowadays I think most folks have gotten so habituated to it (either through ubiquitous CCTV systems, folks filming with their phones, bodycam cops, or endless self-recording) that there wouldn't be much stigma to it.

SJRB

Gold Member
I wonder how long the battery lasts.

I think a new version of google-glasses would be more practical though, with terminator style augmented reality visual overlays and the ability to have physical controls on the side rails as well as spacial sensing tech like is used here. When google glass forst came out the "OMG you are FILMING ME!?!?!??!?" outrage was a bit concerning, but nowadays I think most folks have gotten so habituated to it (either through ubiquitous CCTV systems, folks filming with their phones, bodycam cops, or endless self-recording) that there wouldn't be much stigma to it.

Review mentions that the battery life is so short they actually provide an additional battery pack so you can swap out.

Hindsight is 20/20 but Google Glass made some design flaws that this Humane pin fixes. For example, a bright light on the pin indicates when someone is filming. Google Glass had no indication if I remember correctly. But even with the lights on reviewers mention that it made some people uncomfortable sitting across someone who has a camera pointed towards them, even if the camera wasn't on at any given time.

The camera is necessary but a lot of people will still not be okay with having a camera pointed at them.

John Bilbo

I would love some sort of smaller wearable gadget to replace my cell phone but I don't think this is user friendly enough.

Dutchy

i dont get it

So its an alexa with a crappy projector and requires convoluted gestures to achieve basic results

I know some people who would love this, sadly

Tams

Loving the hissy fit one of the co-founders is having over the media reviews.

It also comes across like he's claiming that he lead development of touchscreen usage. Not surprising coming from an ex-Apple employee. :messenger_squinting_tongue:

Solarstrike

Gold Member
Yeah, put it right near your heart so hackers or the Illuminati can stop your heartbeat at will. No fucking thank you I get enough radation near my nuts from my cellphone.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Loving the hissy fit one of the co-founders is having over the media reviews.

It also comes across like he's claiming that he lead development of touchscreen usage. Not surprising coming from an ex-Apple employee. :messenger_squinting_tongue:

Any links to the hissy fits? Seeing that smug arrogance checked, love to see it

I heard from within Apple that he tried to get Apple do the product while he was there, but the management said no and he left to do it

Top Bottom