• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hurricane Ian 2022

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Apparently you chase in an airplane.

fucking nutters. mad respect shows how great airplanes are with turbulence. that said never never never want to have to experience this, I hate turbulence.. I would absolutely be freaking out if I ever got to experience that level. they are brave.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I think 1 has been confirmed, so he may be way off. But that's what the guy is claiming.
I find that hard to believe given the amount of warning everyone had but could be possible I suppose. What was the official death toll of Katrina versus the "unofficial" estimates? Lots of folks could disappear and no one ever really know what happened to them.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I find that hard to believe given the amount of warning everyone had but could be possible I suppose. What was the official death toll of Katrina versus the "unofficial" estimates? Lots of folks could disappear and no one ever really know what happened to them.
The evacuation for Fort Meyers, etc, came much, much later than the original models where they thought it would hit Tampa area (which evacuated early). So, a lot of people just stayed put since the evacuation gave them no time to plan for accommodations.

I even heard the meteorologists last night say, "yeah, we got this one wrong and it caused for a late evacuation announcement."

Last edited:
Sarasota/Bradenton lucked out again, we didn't even lose power last night. I did see some damage driving around this morning, but nothing like the actual landfall zone.
Internet and cellular coverage is all kinds of fucked up, nobody I know has wifi, and data coverage works sometimes, but other times I can't even send a text.

I just wanna download Pathfinder 2 for my ps5 dammit!! That's my only worry, so life is good. Feel terrible for Ft. Myers/Port Charlotte area though, they got gobsmacked. I've seen some terrible storms in my 45 years here, but the Tampa Bay area always lucks out.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Nothing to bad here in Boca Raton. Woke up when power went out at 6:30 am but was back by 7:15 am. Was only a few houses on one side of my street. Neighbors lost canvas roof think on a tented area near pool. Few branches in the street. Hope rest of FL gaf makes out ok.

Soltype

In the Daytona Beach area, storm didn't do much until this morning, lost power around 930, no damage, but garden is a wreck, avacado/guava tree are done for. Streets behind me flooded, but I'm good, wind is dying down, I'll take a peek outside in a few hours

That's not Florida, that's a vid from Chile.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
In the Daytona Beach area, storm didn't do much until this morning, lost power around 930, no damage, but garden is a wreck, avacado/guava tree are done for. Streets behind me flooded, but I'm good, wind is dying down, I'll take a peek outside in a few hours

That's not Florida, that's a vid from Chile.
I removed. Thanks for pointing it out.

Drove around a bit more to survey the damage. Kinda shocked by how little there is, I saw way more downed trees n such after Irma went through.
The internet outage is the biggest surprise. A lot of folks have power, but nobody has internet. Cellular data usage moves at a crawl, it takes minutes just to load a gaf page even though my phone is registering a 5g data connection.

Soltype

Drove around a bit more to survey the damage. Kinda shocked by how little there is, I saw way more downed trees n such after Irma went through.
The internet outage is the biggest surprise. A lot of folks have power, but nobody has internet. Cellular data usage moves at a crawl, it takes minutes just to load a gaf page even though my phone is registering a 5g data connection.
It's the opposite for me, way more downed trees in my area than any storm since Charlie, and the flooding is real bad around town. Saw a couple of stuck cars in flood water.

I live about 70 miles north of Ft. Myers. The difference in damage is pretty crazy. The eyewall winds annihilate everything, and the eyewall diameters just keep on gettin bigger.

I'm never shocked at the damage these type of events cause and most of the time don't sympathize with those effected.

- if you live in Florida expect to get fucked up a few times a year because you know its coming and you still decide to live there
-if you live in heavy forested areas expect to have fires around you and maybe your home will burn down
-if you live in a flood plain you will get flooded
-if you live in the tornado belt expect tornadoes
-if you live on a fault line expect earthquakes

it's a really simple concept of choosing where you want to live vs the risks involved

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I'm never shocked at the damage these type of events cause and most of the time don't sympathize with those effected.

- if you live in Florida expect to get fucked up a few times a year because you know its coming and you still decide to live there
-if you live in heavy forested areas expect to have fires around you and maybe your home will burn down
-if you live in a flood plain you will get flooded
-if you live in the tornado belt expect tornadoes
-if you live on a fault line expect earthquakes

it's a really simple concept of choosing where you want to live vs the risks involved

There is not one spot in the entire universe that doesn't have some sort of environmental catastrophe risk. Tornados, landslide, flooding, black holes, asteroid impacts, super volcanos...

There is not one spot in the entire universe that doesn't have some sort of environmental catastrophe risk. Tornados, landslide, flooding, black holes, asteroid impacts, super volcanos...
That's a pretty broad range of issues you state there. But people in Utah will never complain about hurricane damage.

edit: all I'm stating is hurricane damage in Florida is expected, don't complain about it if you live there.

Last edited:
All I am saying is that is a really shitty way to view your fellow humans. Disaster can strike anywhere, anytime.
Maybe, but sometimes us humans need to realize that sometimes we do things to ourselves. Take some responsibility for our own actions and decisions we control.

Right now in my country on the east coast Fiona fucked up plenty of houses and properties with overland flooding that is not insurable and people chose to build along the coast because its beautiful and want government bailouts. Here's a tip, everywhere beautiful is like that because rugged and water lined areas are more prone to major disasters. Those people made a poor choice taking a chance that the inevitable won't happen, but it will eventually. We have stupid people complaining that mortgage rates going up when they bought at historical lows and overspent and now they say they are going bankrupt, stupid mistakes because they couldn't realize that eventually those almost zero percent loans will go away someday.

Last edited:

QSD

All I am saying is that is a really shitty way to view your fellow humans. Disaster can strike anywhere, anytime.
That's a pretty broad range of issues you state there. But people in Utah will never complain about hurricane damage.

edit: all I'm stating is hurricane damage in Florida is expected, don't complain about it if you live there.

you know...

Thunderstorms can be frequent and sometimes severe[176] with most of them occurring in the summer months. Calgary lies within Alberta's Hailstorm Alley and is prone to damaging hailstorms every few years. A hailstorm that struck Calgary on September 7, 1991, was one of the most destructive natural disasters in Canadian history, with over $400 million in damage.[177]

...but don't expect any sympathy from us!

I had a shed collapse into scrap metal, and a small pile of roofing shingles makes me concerned that I'm going to need a new roof, but the roof was at the end of its life anyway.

Might just finally bite the bullet, and put a solar system up there.

you know...

...but don't expect any sympathy from us!
Absolutely

You dont even know about the huge flood we had several years ago. The downtown area was built on a flood plain and we had a major major disaster that cost billions to repair. Ask me where I live? not on a flood plain, in a brick building that wont sustain hail damage away from the river that flooded. Was I effected? nope.

We even had a worse hailstorm recently that hit an area in the NE that pummelled houses in a poorer area of the city that almost none of them carried insurance for hail which is dumb as hell and asked for gov't handouts and they said no, its insurable and they chose to be stupid and not get any, nobody in this city feels for them.

jason10mm

Gold Member
About to hit my area in SC, luckily it's only a Cat 1 now. Lots of wind and joyriders in lifted trucks right now. :messenger_grinning_sweat:
My folks are a bit north of you and are sending in pics of their seawall becoming a submerged ledge. I hope hope the floatng dock doesn't float off the pylons again.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
About to hit my area in SC, luckily it's only a Cat 1 now. Lots of wind and joyriders in lifted trucks right now. :messenger_grinning_sweat:
Stay safe

We have some friends who live near the Debordieu Beach Club House and visit them a few times a year and always venture in Georgetown and saw that poor town was hit pretty hard

nush

Gold Member
There is not a single place in the world that I can live without any risk of environmental threat. Not one. You're being absurd in an attempt to feel superior over others.

I live in a region that gets hit by on average 2-3 hurricanes a year, they don't make international news and there's never much damage because the buildings are made from reinforced concrete. If you live in a trailer or a wooden house in an area with that frequency of storms, you got to expect your shit to get fucked up.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I just got my power back on today in Central Florida.

I am such a 1st world bitch, half a week without power was driving me up a wall.
Glad you got your power back. I got lucky, didn’t lose power or internet this storm. I always lose power in these hurricanes too. It surged 3 times and heard transformers blow in surrounding neighborhoods each time, but it stayed strong here.

I feel for those who lost everything in the SW of the state and all that flooding in Kissimmee, etc.. It’s going to take years to rebuild. The causeway bridges are completely collapsed into and out of Sanibel Island.

My folks live in Naples but live inland enough on the other side of I-75 where they didn’t suffer any damage other than some downed palm fronds.

They still have to deal with grocery stores being largely wiped out of fresh foods.

Top Bottom