• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HW sales in Spain: PS5 166K; XBS 46K

Woopah

Looking at it like that the Switch has a pretty big lead over the other two. But I don't think Sony or Microsoft have to worry about due to the amount of games that won't come to the switch. There's plenty of reasons to use the other two.
We're at a pretty unique time when all three main manufacturers are doing well. The existence of Switch doesn't prevent PlayStation and Xbox from being successful and the launch of their new consoles has not negatively impacted the Switch.

We're at a pretty unique time when all three main manufacturers are doing well. The existence of Switch doesn't prevent PlayStation and Xbox from being successful and the launch of their new consoles has not negatively impacted the Switch.

Well maybe in the games that are being made available for Switch. I remember last gen several PS4/X1 titles got ported over. The same isn't happening with PS5/XSX games.

Well maybe in the games that are being made available for Switch. I remember last gen several PS4/X1 titles got ported over. The same isn't happening with PS5/XSX games.
Next gen third party games barely exist. By the time they do exist, we'll have a Switch Pro or Switch 2. I think Nintendo is gonna be fine with ports.

Next gen third party games barely exist. By the time they do exist, we'll have a Switch Pro or Switch 2. I think Nintendo is gonna be fine with ports.

The Switch is vastly weaker than the XSX/PS5. Nintendo is going to have to release a new console in order to have current gen games on it. I don't believe a Switch Pro will be the right solution since the games have to be playable on the 1st system. And if they are not there will be barely any support for them like what happened with the New 3DS. There were barely any games that were exclusive to it.

Woopah

We'll have to see what happens what happens when Switch 2 comes out around 2024. Right now lots of third parties games are still on PS4/X1 as well as PS5/XSX and so quite a few care coming to Switch. Plus Switch gets some exclusives too.

We'll have to see what happens what happens when Switch 2 comes out around 2024. Right now lots of third parties games are still on PS4/X1 as well as PS5/XSX and so quite a few care coming to Switch. Plus Switch gets some exclusives too.

Well some titles that are coming to X1/PS4 are not coming to switch. I don't believe Switches 3rd party support will ever be as good as the other systems.

But people buy Nintendo consoles to olay Nintendo games for the most part. That's what I usually do with them.

As for the Switch 2 I don't know how far behind the XSX/PS5 it will be in terms of power. I'm really curious if it will be good enough to be able to run most next gen games.

e&e

Banned
The Switch is vastly weaker than the XSX/PS5. Nintendo is going to have to release a new console in order to have current gen games on it. I don't believe a Switch Pro will be the right solution since the games have to be playable on the 1st system. And if they are not there will be barely any support for them like what happened with the New 3DS. There were barely any games that were exclusive to it.
Switch doesn’t need all multi platform games, but if you haven’t been paying attention, this gens games won’t end for the next 3-4 years. Game development is quite wide now, you can port almost anything now! i.e. The Switch/Pro will be fine!

Last edited:
Switch doesn’t need all multi platform games, but if you haven’t been paying attention, this gens games won’t end for the next 3-4 years. Game development is quite wide now, you can port almost anything now! i.e. The Switch/Pro will be fine!

So why isn't a game like battlefield on the Switch if it's so easy to port?

Porting it makes sense due to the install base. It's not like the switch is another Wii U.

Tmack

Nothing you said contradicts there point. PS2's sales came from it long legs rather than crazy crazy high numbers

Look at the competition... ps2 had a much higher market share than previous or next gens.

One can`t say that ps2 crazy numbers are due only to its legs.

The ps2 dominated the market in a way that ps4 could only dream off.

Also, back them we didnt had mid gen hardware update.... a lot of ps4 and xbox sales are due to current owners buying a second sku for better hardware.

e&e

Banned
So why isn't a game like battlefield on the Switch if it's so easy to port?

Porting it makes sense due to the install base. It's not like the switch is another Wii U.
I don't know. Ask EA? There are plenty of games EA has released on other platforms that the Switch can run (eg. Mass Effect Collection) but they decided not to release on Switch because 'reasons'. They most likely don't want to get another team to do it so they shrug it off. It wraps into the question of why GTA5 is still not on the Switch. Why do you think so, you think the Switch can't run GTA5?

Last edited:

Tams

The Switch is vastly weaker than the XSX/PS5. Nintendo is going to have to release a new console in order to have current gen games on it.

Hasn't this argument gotten stale yet? It's been used since the Wii, at the very least.

Nintendo do their own thing and it's always at least decently profitable (Wii U) if not very profitable, whilst providing us with great, fun games.

Hasn't this argument gotten stale yet? It's been used since the Wii, at the very least.

Nintendo do their own thing and it's always at least decently profitable (Wii U) if not very profitable, whilst providing us with great, fun games.

I never said otherwise only stating why someone buying one shouldn't expect such good 3rd party support as the other two.

I bought a switch primarily for 1st patty titles which are usually the best games on the system.

Mr Moose

gap is narrowing...
and that is before next gen goes full steam and the flavors of Series consoles get pass word of mouth.
So we are in a good spot. imo. :messenger_winking: :messenger_ok:
No, it isn't. Those are last gen consoles.
It resets when a new gen starts.

mejin

No, it isn't. Those are last gen consoles.
It resets when a new gen starts.
images

Woopah

Well some titles that are coming to X1/PS4 are not coming to switch. I don't believe Switches 3rd party support will ever be as good as the other systems.

But people buy Nintendo consoles to play Nintendo games for the most part. That's what I usually do with them.

As for the Switch 2 I don't know how far behind the XSX/PS5 it will be in terms of power. I'm really curious if it will be good enough to be able to run most next gen games.
There definitely will be some games that don't appear on Switch or only get ported to it later, and likeswise there will be some ( a smaller number) that don't appear on Xbox or don't appear on PlayStation. There have always been third party games that don't appear on all platforms, but that doesn't mean those platforms don't compete.
Look at the competition... ps2 had a much higher market share than previous or next gens.

One can`t say that ps2 crazy numbers are due only to its legs.

The ps2 dominated the market in a way that ps4 could only dream off.

Also, back them we didnt had mid gen hardware update.... a lot of ps4 and xbox sales are due to current owners buying a second sku for better hardware.
XaxSOKU.png

PS2's competitors did way way worse than the PS4's competitors that's true. But if we compare the actual number of consoles sold we get the true story. Let's look at how these platforms sold after 5 fiscal years (roughly).

PS2 - 87.6 million (with a quarter less than the the other 2)
DS - 128.7 million
PS4 - 97 million

So PS4's and PS2's sales numbers were broadly similar, while the DS's sales numbers were much higher. Yet in the end PS2 would outsell both the others, because when their successors came out the sales of DS and PS4 fell off a cliff. Meanwhile PS2 would sell still 10s of millions of consoles following the PS3's launch.

There definitely will be some games that don't appear on Switch or only get ported to it later, and likeswise there will be some ( a smaller number) that don't appear on Xbox or don't appear on PlayStation. There have always been third party games that don't appear on all platforms, but that doesn't mean those platforms don't compete.

I already changed my mind on that incase you didn't notice.

My argument with Switch is that it's not receiving the same amount of 3rd party support as the other two systems. And that's a pretty big negative for someone who only wants one system.

But I don't have to worry about that because I usually own multiple ones.

Just saying that telling someone that 3rd party support will be just as good on it is a mistake.

Xbox is doing so much better than the xbox one era but it doesn't matter how good they are. They wont ever outperform playstation in the market unless sony themselves make a colossal mistake to shift things.

e&e

Banned
I already changed my mind on that incase you didn't notice.

My argument with Switch is that it's not receiving the same amount of 3rd party support as the other two systems. And that's a pretty big negative for someone who only wants one system.

But I don't have to worry about that because I usually own multiple ones.

Just saying that telling someone that 3rd party support will be just as good on it is a mistake.
You are focused on AAA, not everyone is into AAA…

STARSBarry

Gold Member
There numbers mean nothing because people are waiting for the Xbox Series X to be available on game pass, thats where the real endgame is.

MiguelItUp

Ah yes, my people love them PS5's. I thought some PS5 titles would be higher on the list. Fifa, however, is exactly where I expected. The futbol passion never dies.

jigglet

Banned
Its the rabbit vs turtles race. Early race will always be ps5.

All Microsoft needs is to take their time and not rush out like idiots. Put banger after banger on gamepass, and cattles will rush out to gamepass, so they can be milked for the rest of their lives.
Austin Powers Movie GIF

It seems plausible that they could make some real headway this gen. Last gen it felt like there was nothing they could do. They should have hid the DRM from pre-launch talk and only revealed it post-launch like Sony's "generations" thing. Bad news isn't a problem once you've locked people in.

Last edited:

e&e

Banned
But out of 80 million Switch owners how many do you think are into AAAs?

Don't you think there's a reason why some AAA developers are not tapping into that install base?
What are you arguing here? People would be buying the Switch because they want all the AAA? Cause Switch is clearly thriving without all of them. I don’t see your point. People seem to know what they want out of Switch without your made up concern…

Last edited:
What are you arguing here? People would be buying the Switch because they want all the AAA? Cause Switch is clearly thriving without all of them. I don’t see your point. People seem to know what they want out of Switch without your made up concern…

I know which is why I bought one to play Nintendo games and then I have consoles from the other manufacturers for 3rd party support. All systems are doing good now.

I never called the Switch a flop btw.

MadPanda

Banned
Even though XSS is doing 512p, I would pick it over the switch, even last gen Xbone over the Switch. The Switch market is very different and games there barely compete with indie games on PS4/5. It's like saying that Tencent is competing with Sony, which its full focus is cellphones.

Console warring is strong with this one.

XSS isn't doing 512p, stop spreading FUD. If it hits that in a certain citation, it doesn't make it a 512p machine.
Let's ignore that it's hitting 60 fps with raytracing throughout the game and let's focus on the lowest possible resolution, no matter how often it's at it.

jhjfss

Imagine being happy with 3rd place instead of distant 3rd place. I mean, dead last is still dead last.

Lose Real Housewives GIF
Imagine being a console warrior and kneeling down for a mega corporation that does not give a shit about you. Does Sony send you check every month? Your entire post history is filled with downplaying, criticizing and shitting on everything MS does, but opening your mouth wide when sony does literally anything.

yazenov

Imagine being a console warrior and kneeling down for a mega corporation that does not give a shit about you. Does Sony send you check every month? Your entire post history is filled with downplaying, criticizing and shitting on everything MS does, but opening your mouth wide when sony does literally anything.

Imagine being triggered by my post to defend your plastic box of choice and combing through my post history because i hurt your feelings.

Guess what, post like yours is what gives me fuel for my entertainment. Its all fun and games for me. Thanks for the salt.

jhjfss

Imagine being triggered by my post to defend your plastic box of choice and combing through my post history because i hurt your feelings.

Guess what, post like yours is what gives me fuel for my entertainment. Its all fun and games for me. Thanks for the salt.
i didn't need to comb through your history, i constantly come across your posts when i browse this forum and it's filled pathetic garbage. I wonder what kinds of person just sits around all day just to shit on a company constantly instead of being happy that MS is trying and investing in first party so they can compete.

yazenov

i didn't need to comb through your history, i constantly come across your posts when i browse this forum and it's filled pathetic garbage. I wonder what kinds of person just sits around all day just to shit on a company constantly instead of being happy that MS is trying and investing in first party so they can compete.

How about you reply to the content of my posts instead of attacking me for my preferences?

What part of distant third or dead last that triggered your feelings?

Should we pat Microsoft in the back and give them a participation medal for trying hard? They are a billion dollar corporation. You are defending them from "console warriors" over the forums. Trust me, the don't need you.

I call it like i see it. They are getting their ass kicked by Sony. Thats a fact.

You throw accusations at others and yet here you are defending their honer. Pot calling the cattle black ah?

yurinka

But out of 80 million Switch owners how many do you think are into AAAs?

Don't you think there's a reason why some AAA developers are not tapping into that install base?
As I remember over 60% of Switch users also played on other consoles or PC.

So pretty likely they (us) play AAA on the other consoles and PC while using Switch to play its exclusives and use it as indie games portable device.

Being able to play AAA games on PS5, a high end PC or even PS4 or an average PC there is no reason buy an inferior, pretty likely more expensive, Switch port. Unless for some reason you prefer to play it portable even if it means the game will perform worse and may not feature some tech stuff.

You are focused on AAA, not everyone is into AAA…
A few dozens of top companies generate over 80% of the game revenue and pretty likely even a bigger percentage of users. And obviously they aren't indie studios.

So an insane % of people playing on console and PC are into AAA.

Last edited:
As I remember over 60% of Switch users also played on other consoles or PC.

So pretty likely they (us) play AAA on the other consoles and PC while using Switch to play its exclusives and use it as indie games portable device.

Being able to play AAA games on PS5, a high end PC or even PS4 or an average PC there is no reason buy an inferior, pretty likely more expensive, Switch port. Unless for some reason you prefer to play it portable even if it means the game will perform worse and may not feature some tech stuff.

Yes those ports are usually vastly inferior. I can imagine that Doom at 30FPs is a hard sell for most people. Makes sense why 3rd parties are not giving it the same support as the other systems.

yurinka

Yes those ports are usually vastly inferior. I can imagine that Doom at 30FPs is a hard sell for most people. Makes sense why 3rd parties are not giving it the same support as the other systems.
Yep, and Doom is on PS Now, Gamepass and not sure if they also included it on PS Plus. So it should mean that it's pretty likely that its price on PS/Xbox/PC must be super cheap for those without subscription.

Last edited:

jhjfss

How about you reply to the content of my posts instead of attacking me for my preferences?

What part of distant third or dead last that triggered your feelings?

Should we pat Microsoft in the back and give them a participation medal for trying hard? They are a billion dollar corporation. You are defending them from "console warriors" over the forums. Trust me, the don't need you.

I call it like i see it. They are getting their ass kicked by Sony. Thats a fact.

You throw accusations at others and yet here you are defending their honer. Pot calling the cattle black ah?
Im not attacking you for your preference, it just seems distasteful to be on a gaming forum and call others losers for not having the same preference as you do. Unlike you i want to see both sony and MS succeed. You keep saying im triggered, seems like you are the one getting triggered. I don't own an xbox( never have), and am not too concerned about hardware sales like you are. I just need MS to give me good games like sony and im happy. You are right about MS getting their ass kicked because they deserved it, just like sony did with the ps3. But, good things happen when you get a dose of reality and allows you to try and become better.

yazenov

Im not attacking you for your preference, it just seems distasteful to be on a gaming forum and call others losers for not having the same preference as you do. Unlike you i want to see both sony and MS succeed. You keep saying im triggered, seems like you are the one getting triggered. I don't own an xbox( never have), and am not too concerned about hardware sales like you are. I just need MS to give me good games like sony and im happy. You are right about MS getting their ass kicked because they deserved it, just like sony did with the ps3. But, good things happen when you get a dose of reality and allows you to try and become better.

You seem like a SJW that wants everyone to succeed just because they are trying hard. Aka participation medals. Save that talk for your kids, not mega corporations like MS.

Honestly seeking, I couldn't care less for MS and hope they became 3rd party so everyone can enjoy their game. Their failed attempts or success doesn't affect me one bit. Crash and burn for all I care as I don't have any feelings towards them. Don't give me that I want all the companies to succeed bulshit and tell us how you really feel. Be honest and don't be shy.

You were clearly triggered by my post enough to reply to me with console warriors accusations instead of replying to my factual, no bulshit post.

And just a correction and to be clear, I'm calling MS a loser since its dead last in a distant third place. Not the poster.

Imagine being happy with 3rd place instead of distant 3rd place. I mean, dead last is still dead last.

Lose Real Housewives GIF
Imagine being 3rd place in the could business instead of distant 3rd and making 20bn a year instead of 5bn.

What a loser that hypothetical company would be.
And now guess who will he thrid in that game ;)

Last edited:

yazenov

Imagine being 3rd place in the could business instead of distant 3rd and making 20bn a year instead of 5bn.

What a loser that hypothetical company would be.
And now guess who will he thrid in that game ;)

Are you talking about the gaming industry or MS Business as a whole? Because if it's the latter, then its off topic and shouldn't be discussed in the gameing forums.

jhjfss

You seem like a SJW that wants everyone to succeed just because they are trying hard. Aka participation medals. Save that talk for your kids, not mega corporations like MS.

Honestly seeking, I couldn't care less for MS and hope they became 3rd party so everyone can enjoy their game. Their failed attempts or success doesn't affect me one bit. Crash and burn for all I care as I don't have any feelings towards them. Don't give me that I want all the companies to succeed bulshit and tell us how you really feel. Be honest and don't be shy.

You were clearly triggered by my post enough to reply to me with console warriors accusations instead of replying to my factual, no bulshit post.

And just a correction and to be clear, I'm calling MS a loser since its dead last in a distant third place. Not the poster.
I guess MS going on an acquisition spree has you rattled, hasn't it? You seem unhappy and afraid of sony losing market share. You think MS' actions don't affect you, let's revisit this when MS moves in on japanese companies.

e&e

Banned
I guess MS going on an acquisition spree has you rattled, hasn't it? You seem unhappy and afraid of sony losing market share. You think MS' actions don't affect you, let's revisit this when MS moves in on japanese companies.
I think you just need to ignore the poster, they clearly stated that they like trolling for their entertainment, which is quite a sad statement in and of itself…

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
but it's hard for me to just stay with a Switch because I would miss out on a ton of games.
I can say the same about PS5, if I only had PS5 I would have miss out on tones of games that comes out thats exclusive on Switch, My favourite series of all time comes out exclusive on Switch.

Last edited:

zedinen

Vandal

HW - Week 22

1. PS5 6,500 (S 4500+ D 2000)
2. NSW 5,400
3. XBS 1,300 (X 900+ S 400)
4. PS4 700
5. XBO 50

HW - LTD
PS5 172,850
XBS 47,550

SW - Week 22
1. FIFA 21 (PS4)
2. Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Switch)
3. Grand Theft Auto V (PS4)
4. Minecraft (Switch)
5. Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury (Switch)
6. God of War (PS4)
7. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Switch)
8. FIFA 21 (Switch)
9. Spider-Man Miles Morales (PS5)
10. The Last of Us Parte II (PS4)

SW - LTD
GTA V (PS4) 1,485,200
FIFA 21 (PS4) 417,650
God of War (PS4) 330,000
The Last of Us Parte II (PS4) 222,650
Spider-Man Miles Morales (PS5) 52,550

Top Bottom